Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Default Driving from Perth to Brisbane

Hi Everyone,

I have spoken about this a while back, but now things look like they are a go. We are re-locating from Perth to country QLD just outside of Brissy.

We are looking at driving both our cars across in order to safe some money and shift some smaller items and dogs.

Any advise or input regarding any experience would be great.

Baz

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
GT-E

Default Re: Driving from Perth to Brisbane

Put them on the train to the east with all the gear packed in the Cars. I do not have a suggestion on the dogs, but it willbe far easier and more cost effective if you do.
Old 23-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

The transport cost of one car alone is more than fuel and travel expenses for both cars. Then there is the cost of us flyings and the dogs also. We are transporting all our furniture by removalist.

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Old 23-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

long trips i take a bottle of radiator stop leak and and some water just in case of the worst happening , drive in the day rest at night, eat good tucker at breaks .......enjoy the run.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Falco GT51
Blue Blood

Hey Mate, Ive done the drive, a few times from Kal to Bris ( outlaws live there)
Three day drive from Kal to Bris, you would be looking at 4 days 3 nights from Perth for this time of year and to keep your traveling in the day light hours.(plenty of Roo's on dusk and dawn!)
The last time we done it was in the GT and had no trouble getting premium fuel the hole way. Check this web site out for info http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/plann...rnTripper.html
2005 BA GT Mll #0697.
1979 XD 5.8 X Pursuit
2015 FGX XR8

Powered by FORD
Falco GT51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
GT-E

I was suggesting that you and the cars go via train. The cost of fuel accomodation and wear on the cars would be more than the train trip.
Fly the dogs over and carry the little bits in the car. It will be much safer and more relaxing. You will also have both cars at the end of the train trip.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Virgin Blue and Pets
How to Book for Your Pet

To ensure there is room for your pet to travel on your flight, your booking must be made via our Guest Contact Centre (Internet Discount Fare will be honoured).

Domestic Australian flights with Virgin Australia will only accept a maximum of two (2) pet cages per flight. For additional pets, exceeding this amount, please contact Toll Air Express.

Unfortunately, if you do not book your pet through the Guest Contact Centre, we will not be able to take them on your flight. They will be sent as freight, on a different flight, at a higher fee.

Please note we only accept domestic dogs and cats for pet travel. For any other type of animal, please contact Toll Air Express.
Old 23-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Driving from Perth to Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
Hi Everyone,

I have spoken about this a while back, but now things look like they are a go. We are re-locating from Perth to country QLD just outside of Brissy.

We are looking at driving both our cars across in order to safe some money and shift some smaller items and dogs.

Any advise or input regarding any experience would be great.

Baz
Allow a week , with dogs you have to stop a lot and let them out /watering etc , are you sure you want to do this ?
I did it 30 years ago on a motorcycle and it was hard going then , be prepared to drive either in the dark or day and depending on where you are not drive sunup/dusk due to hoppers , good luck with it you will need patience and a big cushion :_)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Thanks for the info guys. I will do some more research. Flying or driving both have their pro's and con's

Flyig is more convenient, however driving is a experience.

Baz

Old 25-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Thumbs up Re: Driving from Perth to Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
Thanks for the info guys. I will do some more research. Flying or driving both have their pro's and con's

Flyig is more convenient, however driving is a experience.

Baz
Drive it mate, i have done it a few times now and never get sick of it (i hate flying these days as i have to do so much it for work)
I've even done it the long way across the top a couple of times, if you love driving it's an experience not to be missed, just take your time and enjoy it...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prices across the Nullabor are very high!!! Excuse is, freight but trucks go by everyday..no excuse for what they charge..captive drivers!!!
Drive safe and enjoy!!!
Old 25-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

It's a good time of the year now too, as compared to going in summer. Top advice regarding driving in the day only. My wife and I did Perth to the Sunshine Coast a few years back and it took us 4 and a bit days. We stopped at Balladonia, then Ceduna, then Broken Hill and lastly Goondiwindi. Long days, especially from Broken Hill through to Goondiwindi.

Just do the obvious in way of vehicle checks/services, carry necessary spares as well as food. It may also pay to join the RAC just in case something goes wrong.

With respect to flying/driving, if you haven't done it before, do the drive. It's one of those things all Aussie should do at least once.

If you have time, stop off at the whale observation point (between June and October).

And lastly, take care and enjoy.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; I've done it there and back twice (but only as far as from Perth to Sydney. Take a spare set of hoses and belts and make sure you have an insect screen fitted. The August I did in the late 70's there was a locust plague on the Nullarbor and you could sure tell what cars didn't have an insect screen fitted - there cars broken down with blocked radiators littering the highway. Watch out for the foreign solo tourist cyclists and camels on the Nullarbor (both as equally unpredictable) but the camels can do more damage. Don't travel too close behind trucks and road trains as the driver over wombats and roos that can do a lot of damage when you don't see them coming.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

If your choice is to drive, good luck and hope all goes well. I havent driven such a distance before, but hope to do so one day.
Take some happy pictures on the way on post them up on our forum - we can all see how your trip is going!

Dont forget to keep clearing your air filters from that red & fine dust on the way.
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
kinksta
Luxojet

Do the drive. Road tripping is a dying art. You will never forget it and you will see a great lot of this beautiful country.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you do the drive:
- Allow a week, make it a holiday instead of a task
- Make sure cars are sound before leaving, carry spare belts and hoses
- UHF Radios can be very handy
- Think about fatigue and rest stops/driver changes every few hours

According to Google, it's 4,300km, quick play around with google maps and a trip like the following would be feasible:
Perth-Kalgoorlie - 695km
Kalgoorlie-Eucla - 891km
Eucla-Port Augusta - 961km
Port Augusta-Broken Hill - 415km
Broken Hill-Narrabri - 965km
Narrabri-Brisbane - 574km
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
kinksta
Luxojet

Another tip, use whereis.com not google maps, I have learnt from that hehe.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Good luck on your voyage. As everyone as said before, i cannot stress any less that you carry all necessary spares on you.

I recently did a trip with a mate of mine, only Vic to Sydney. We sat behind a truck, it hit a roo. Unbeknown to us we had a leg/possibly arm hit and snap our drive belt, aswell as pull off a radiator hose.

Take a trip to your local RiceBarn, or NotSoCheap and buy like a contact film that goes over your windscreen and front of car, Meant to be paint friendly and come off with high pressure water. will help protect against stones/bugs and a locust net just in case.

take atleast 1 of every hose/belt.
20L of fuel, 40L of water, Stop Leak, Chem-Weld. 10L of oil (spending engine sizes)

Best of luck!
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post