Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
bartaxr8

Default Victor Bray Talks About New Melbourne Strip.....

Did any of you guys see Victor Brays column in the latest Strret Machine magazine? If I may quote:
"I think drag racing has a pretty happy future at the moment, especially with a new Melbourne strip finally happening. We have a solid group of well funded guys working on this deal and for the first time ever we've got everything in place to be able to say we are going to have a world-class facility in Melbourne, like Sydney's WSID venue. We don't know exactly where it's going to be yet or when the building will start but it is going to happen"
I would like to think that a man like Bray, who has very close ties with the sport, knows that this is going to happen and isn't talking this up.

bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

If it does happen I hope it ends up in the outer eastern suburbs, somewhere like Cranbourne.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there is already a thread on the matter, but it sounded more like Craigeburn or Avalon areas???
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
MYLO_XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont see a new drag strip happening....LEGAL drag racing is not popular enough in Australia and the costs to build one wont add up.....especially since there's Caulder park, although its a **********. hole its still competition.
MYLO_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR8220
If it does happen I hope it ends up in the outer eastern suburbs, somewhere like Cranbourne.
Would be nice, Calder and Heathcote are a fair way from home for me.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYLO_XR6
i dont see a new drag strip happening...
It will happen, we can all help...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=68723

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYLO_XR6
i dont see a new drag strip happening....LEGAL drag racing is not popular enough in Australia and the costs to build one wont add up.....especially since there's Caulder park, although its a **********. hole its still competition.
Ever heard of WSID? 30 million of taxpayers dollars or thereabouts in that one?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:

Hmmm Cranbourne would be nice but I think Cranny has a few to problems : already....lol

But yes some where out this side would be great.....

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT

POWERED BY VISA MASTERCARD AND MORE VISA
(And now a mortgage extension)

Disclaimer :

: Anything that seems or sounds illegal is all in my head and due to an over active imagination... :
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
That would be awsome...but at the same time costly
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Ever heard of WSID? 30 million of taxpayers dollars or thereabouts in that one?
Yep and the NSW government got back about 60 million from land sales from around the facility.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear it's happening(in the works)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #12
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_xr8_ute
Hmmm Cranbourne would be nice but I think Cranny has a few to problems : already....lol

But yes some where out this side would be great.....
I can understand your wish for it to be on your side of town. I don't share your view, only because I live in the north. I think the biggest thing against a motorsport facility like this on your side is the land value and the spread of housing. Unless you went further out like Lang Lang or across at Longwarry or something, everything else would be too close to planned developments or too expensive to for something like a strip.
big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 04:37 AM   #13
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big fella
I can understand your wish for it to be on your side of town. I don't share your view, only because I live in the north. I think the biggest thing against a motorsport facility like this on your side is the land value and the spread of housing. Unless you went further out like Lang Lang or across at Longwarry or something, everything else would be too close to planned developments or too expensive to for something like a strip.
I was thinking the same sort of area's as u listed. Any where out here. Hell even Phillip Island. Set it up at the race track.

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT

POWERED BY VISA MASTERCARD AND MORE VISA
(And now a mortgage extension)

Disclaimer :

: Anything that seems or sounds illegal is all in my head and due to an over active imagination... :
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I think there is already a thread on the matter, but it sounded more like Craigeburn or Avalon areas???
What?? Craigieburn??

I haven't heard anything around here, but there is plenty of room, thats for sure...
That said, I cetainly hope so

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think somewhere around Avalon is the preferred area, somewhere semi central for the rest of the state. Damn sight closer than WSID or Willowbank thats for sure.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
BJ
Banned

I have said it once and i will say it again. I will believe it when i am racing on it. All this piiss and wind from all of theses organisations give me the shiits. It will never happen around the Craigieburn or Avalon areas as long as there is money to be made in real estate. What have DRIVA done NOTHING and never will, it has been well over five years since they started all this and what have they to show for it, all they seem to be interested in is the dam dinners. I for one hope they do do something tp prove me wrong, and when they do i will be one of the first one to congratulate them. Bj
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
I have said it once and i will say it again. I will believe it when i am racing on it. All this piiss and wind from all of theses organisations give me the shiits. It will never happen around the Craigieburn or Avalon areas as long as there is money to be made in real estate. What have DRIVA done NOTHING and never will, it has been well over five years since they started all this and what have they to show for it, all they seem to be interested in is the dam dinners. I for one hope they do do something tp prove me wrong, and when they do i will be one of the first one to congratulate them. Bj
So what have you done to try and get something happening other than generating more piiss and wind? This deal isnt run by DRIVA but by the guys from Kwinana. Its lucky not everyone shares your defeatist attitude otherwise what we have now would be all we will ever have- NOTHING!
It took longer than five years to get WSID, this is going to take time but like Panteen it will happen.
Old 13-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
BJ
Banned

Quote:
So what have you done to try and get something happening other than generating more piiss and wind? This deal isn't run by DRIVA but by the guys from Kwinana. Its lucky not everyone shares your defeatist attitude otherwise what we have now would be all we will ever have- NOTHING!
It took longer than five years to get WSID, this is going to take time but like Pantene it will happen.
Well were to start hey. I was and have been lobbying the state government for the LAST 5 years with a group for this very same thing pal.
Before you go shooting your mouth get your facts straight.

First. The people you have mention have nothing to do with this at this point in time, they are only here as an advisory capacity.

Second when was the last time you walked around WISD, Hidden valley, Willow Bank and Canberra and Calder park and all the other strip around the country trying to get signatures.

Thirdly when you have put your hand in your pocket to the tune of $15,00 dollars then you can tell me to shut up.
I have given both my time and money to help get this sort of thing of the ground before, as i said when and if it happens i will congratulate all of them. So stick that up your arrse and smoke it sport.
Old 13-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #19
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Direct quote from the letter from them
Dear Racers and Supporters,
My name is Gary Miocevich and I have been appointed as the ANDRA PROJECT DIRECTOR to secure a new ANDRA Drag Racing Venue in Melbourne. Dunno about you but that implies a bit more than advisor to me. Wasnt telling you to shut up more pointing out what seems to be a common theme in your posts and this one seems to confirm it. As I dont smoke thanks for the offer but I will give it a miss ,thanks all the same
Old 13-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #20
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

I just hope this happens,
It would be great to have a better strip, even better if it was dead level (no small hill)
i was at the east coast nationals last yr when the 5sec pass was done by a TDS
1st too see it 2 (i was standing as close 2 the line as possible)
you have to remember how much money would be in this for the Government.
I mean, i would think they'd be taking a lot of money back from WSID (which i spose is ok, i mean they gave us the track) wouldn't they?
as to Legal Drag racing been unpopular, well i can tell you now, it's got to be a hell of a lot popular then Street Racing (with the government), i mean look how good friday nights are down at calder now!
my 2 cents worth
Cheers
Dan
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #21
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Direct quote from the letter from them
Dear Racers and Supporters,
My name is Gary Miocevich and I have been appointed as the ANDRA PROJECT DIRECTOR to secure a new ANDRA Drag Racing Venue in Melbourne. Dunno about you but that implies a bit more than advisor to me. Wasn't telling you to shut up more pointing out what seems to be a common theme in your posts and this one seems to confirm it. As I dont smoke thanks for the offer but I will give it a miss ,thanks all the same
And what common theme would that be that i am sick and tyerd of people coming on here and ele's were and telling us it is set in concrete, and i will ask you again, what have you done to help the cause except to point out what others are saying they are trying to do, doing instead of getting out there and doing it. I guess you just don't get where I'm comming from do you. Lets just agree to dis-agree shell we.
Old 14-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We have to work together as enthuisiats to get the track up, this something that we cant give up on.
For those that have been to WSID know what i mean, we must have a track like this in Victoria.
Keep writing those letters guy's, we need to lobby the politicians.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #23
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
We have to work together as enthuisiats to get the track up, this something that we cant give up on.
For those that have been to WSID know what i mean, we must have a track like this in Victoria.
Spot on, recieved a letter back from my local member yesterday thanking me for mine and enclosing a copy of the letter he has sent supporting this deal to Justin Madden. Its not much but its a start and hopefully if there is enough support the pollies will get behind it
Old 14-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #24
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Spot on Mark!... Enough people + Enough pressure & eventually the pollies DO listen!
Off topic slightly, but I've been on the Maribyrnong Flood Plain Committee for 4 yrs lobbying against the VRC building their Flemington floodwall as well as attempting to push for a flood retarding basin at Arundel... (to stop future flooding PLUS give a much needed reserve supply to Gisbourne & surrounds)

And GUESS WHAT?... Finally after thinking we were simply banging our heads against a brick wall, Ted Baillieu & the libs have taken it on board and are actually using our Arundel plan as the centrepiece of the State Opposition's election policy to tackle Victoria's "water crisis".
SO... Letter writing, lobbying and a belief DO get through eventually!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

the problem will be the, not in my backyard syndrome.

Hope you guys get it, and don't suffer the same fate of family management WSID has.....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #26
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

we won't get it whilst bracks is in government on NOV 25th vote 1 for anybody but steve bracks
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #27
rodderz

Could be worth sending the letters to liberals then, may use it as a drawcard as part of the election campaign
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #28
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Could be worth sending the letters to liberals then, may use it as a drawcard as part of the election campaign

Yes!... ted.baillieu@parliament.vic.gov.au

All the local "LEADER" Newspapers are also more than willing to publish newsworthy stuff like "getting the hoons off the street"... (NOT that that's us, but you get the drift)
It's all about getting as much exposure as possible.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #29
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
It will never happen around the Craigieburn or Avalon areas as long as there is money to be made in real estate.
I have no idea about Cragieburn, but I know Avalon - I live across the freeway in Lara. Real estate is not a problem. I have seen the Geelong councils proposal for future development (we're affected due to applicantions for rezoning of our existing semi-rural zone, which isn't planned to change...) and the Lara/Avalon/Little River areas zoned for development are being fixed. There are acres upon acres of land in the area that will not see residential development in our or our childrens lifetimes. With the airport close by, plus the existing Avalon Speedway over the highway, it's a great area for a drag strip. Bring it on, I'd love a venue only 5-10mins drive from my place!

A cynic you might be, but reinforcing your cynicism without all the facts is a little rough.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #30
JoesAu

hey all the acres out here are owned by people u know, and there gonna sell up just for a drag strip, Ive been told these are the areas in discussion, the back of laverton in between lavo and werribee that land out their near port phillip prison i think, cambellfield is another, and out in craigieburn, thats from someone in the drag bizzo VDRC. i dont know how accurate those words are but thats wat he told me.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post