Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #61
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW Highway patrol BMW’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Wow. I bought my Xr6 turbo sprint with 6000km for $47000. That. BMW is a rip off. Clapped out ex highway car with heaps of Kilometres and no warranty
I believe they'll still be under warranty

Not sure what you mean by clapped out as they're a diesel and can do high kms

They are being snapped up by car dealers who put around $50K on them
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #62
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow. I bought my Xr6 turbo sprint with 6000km for $47000. That. BMW is a rip off. Clapped out ex highway car with heaps of Kilometres and no warranty
You didn’t say how old the Falcon was or when you bought it.Maybe you got ripped off,$47000 seems a fair bit for a 6 cyl turbo falcon.The BMW would still have about 1 year/ unlimited km warranty.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #63
DK30RB

Night and Day difference - would pick the BMW over the Xr6 Turbo any day.
Refinement, technology, comfort, etc are light years ahead in the BMW.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #64
DK30RB

Quote:
Go and drive an ex highway patrol XR6 or XR8, then drive the BMW ex highway patrol - you will soon see the difference in build quality. The BMW will not feel as tired and clapped out as the fords do.

I tend to steer clear of high KM used cars, so bought mine as a low km demo. But for someone looking for a great car at a cheap price, i think its a better buy than an ex ford hwy patrol car.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #65
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

In fairness its chalk and cheese as mentioned but I think where he's coming from for around the same $$$ he considered a last of FGX Sprint I'm assuming so at very low k's a better buy in his opinion and a keeper.
I love bimmers and just bought one myself, chalk and cheese as mentioned and the tech is way ahead for sure but I sure don't like paying that kind of dosh on a 130000k vehicle no matter its brand and motor but thats me.
IF I had to make the choice both in front of me then and there I'd go the Sprint as well with just 6000k's purely based on that.
These late bimmers for dailys sure are damn nice drives even an ex HWP for those inclined.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #66
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok. Slow down everyone. I have had 2 BMW X5m cars with the v8 twin turbos. Have driven lots of m5s which have the same running gear as the x5m. Driven a diesel one. I don’t like diesels but there economy as great.

I just don’t like the fact of having a car that driven by 30 different people at high speeds with no care and flogged on night shift to an inch of its life. And then buying one with little or no warranty. I have had a few of my Bmws repaired mostly under warranty and you could buy a nice Falcon for the cost of a few small repairs. Truly these cars are scary when they need to be fixed. That’s why they have terrible resale value. I should know.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #67
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok. Slow down everyone. I have had 2 BMW X5m cars with the v8 twin turbos. Have driven lots of m5s which have the same running gear as the x5m. Driven a diesel one. I don’t like diesels but there economy as great.

I just don’t like the fact of having a car that driven by 30 different people at high speeds with no care and flogged on night shift to an inch of its life. And then buying one with little or no warranty. I have had a few of my Bmws repaired mostly under warranty and you could buy a nice Falcon for the cost of a few small repairs. Truly these cars are scary when they need to be fixed. That’s why they have terrible resale value. I should know.
The cars have two drivers not thirty and have in car video and members of the public with their own cameras etc
The BMWs are far more reliable and cheaper to run than the SRTs
What car do you think.HWP should use?
Old 23-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

A few other car forums I visit speak quite poorly about BMW reliability. They really don't have a great reputation outside of warranty. No wonder the resale values are bad, and people are so quick to sell them on before the warranty is expired.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #69
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

There's a C300 SRT8 HWP car in my area.

The cop who drives is has a heavy foot. Everytime I see him any excuse to gun it. Sounds really good too.
Old 23-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
A few other car forums I visit speak quite poorly about BMW reliability. They really don't have a great reputation outside of warranty. No wonder the resale values are bad, and people are so quick to sell them on before the warranty is expired.
Can't be much worse than other German cars. I hear a lot of bad stuff about Mercedes, Audi and VW. Actually personally I hear about BMW the least.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2020, 11:09 PM   #71
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the last reliable BMWs were E36s and E39s.

M3s and M5s of that gen are worth more than the later ones.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2020, 05:48 AM   #72
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About a 2 months ago my BMW 2016 X5m with the V8 twin turbo 423kw engine, the rear suspension started sagging. After arguing with BMW and the car yard in Sydney where I bought it from they agreed under warranty even though it was technically out of warranty to replace the 2 rear air bags and compressor unit for $5500. Ouch. I did not have to pay. And the only reason they fixed it is because it had only 30000km on it.
It’s a fantastic car. Very fast sounds great and will out handle and out brake probably both my Sprints. But if they have been abused and have high kilometres trust me these cars will rape you.
I always sell my BMW’s before around 90000km.

And I don’t drive the BMW it’s my wife’s car. After years of her driving V8 LTD’s , Fairmont’’s, a TS50, TL50, and a couple of Turbo Falcon’s , she decided she wanted to keep up with the Jones’s and demanded a V8 Bmw. Some people are silly.
Old 24-07-2020, 05:53 AM   #73
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
About a 2 months ago my BMW 2016 X5m with the V8 twin turbo 423kw engine, the rear suspension started sagging. After arguing with BMW and the car yard in Sydney where I bought it from they agreed under warranty even though it was technically out of warranty to replace the 2 rear air bags and compressor unit for $5500. Ouch. I did not have to pay. And the only reason they fixed it is because it had only 30000km on it.
It’s a fantastic car. Very fast sounds great and will out handle and out brake probably both my Sprints. But if they have been abused and have high kilometres trust me these cars will rape you.

And I don’t drive the BMW it’s my wife’s car. After years of her driving V8 LTD’s , Fairmont’’s, a TS50, TL50, and a couple of Turbo Falcon’s , she decided she wanted to keep up with the Jones’s and demanded a V8 Bmw. Some people are silly.
The X5's have a shocking reputation. I say they are called the X5 because they cost 5 times as much as any other car to own.
Old 24-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #74
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually she is pretty smart, when I first met almost 30 years ago she was driving a yellow 4 cylinder Holden Commodore VH. I managed to get her away from the dark side to Ford. To tell you the truth wasn’t too hard with that bomb. I convinced her to sell it too some houso’s for $300. Hipee
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #75
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
The X5's have a shocking reputation. I say they are called the X5 because they cost 5 times as much as any other car to own.
Your a 100 percent right. After 2 x5m cars a tried to convince her for me to buy. As she has no money. A Black manual GTF for $90000. So I’m stuck with another X5m. Great car. But the GTF was the same price and that would have been better. Anyway I married her so I have to put up with her I suppose.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #76
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Look you can’t have everything in life. I have 5 x FGX falcons, a Fg Mk2, a BF typhoon, a R35 GTR, a Lamborghini LP550-2.

Who am I too complain.
Old 24-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #77
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cars have two drivers not thirty and have in car video and members of the public with their own cameras etc
Being a Police Officer for over 20 years the NSW Police will buy what ever suits their needs and budget. What I’m trying to do is save some poor soul being fleeced by BMW repairs. I’m trying to help people not hurt them. This is only from experience sorry.
Old 24-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #78
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

haha love your collection boss351290.
I agree entirely re the BMW ownership, let alone MB/Audi as well and from your knowledge being in the force.
Your at your own peril having them over 100,000k's.....
Yer sure there are some lucky ones but also alot of those out of pocket big time.
Being in the Aftermarket parts game myself and old salt mechanic I know all too well what the repair costs are and can be.
Under WTY its a no brainer - once this little 330i M I have gets towards 90000 or less I'll be flipping it without a concern and peace of mind.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #79
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Can't be much worse than other German cars. I hear a lot of bad stuff about Mercedes, Audi and VW. Actually personally I hear about BMW the least.
This is a Forum right. I want to help people. If you can afford to buy a low kilometres excellent condition BMW do it. There great cars. Just don’t buy a high kilometre one. You will pay for it later. Just trying to help my good Ford Forum Friends. Please don’t knock me for that.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #80
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
haha love your collection boss351290.
I agree entirely re the BMW ownership, let alone MB/Audi as well and from your knowledge being in the force.
Your at your own peril having them over 100,000k's.....
Yer sure there are some lucky ones but also alot of those out of pocket big time.
Being in the Aftermarket parts game myself and old salt mechanic I know all too well what the repair costs are and can be.
Under WTY its a no brainer - once this little 330i M I have gets towards 90000 or less I'll be flipping it without a concern and peace of mind.
Thanks, I remember speaking to you some time ago, you have a TS50. I sold my TS50 T3 number 45 to a nice guy in Melbourne. I drove the car from Newcastle to his front door personally so he would be happy with his purchase. That’s the person I am. Who else would do that???. I did that to find the purchase of the X5m. There not a cheap car unfortunately. Anyway I was a little upset with selling that car so to make me feel better I bought a FGX G6e turbo. I feel a bit better now.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #81
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You didn’t say how old the Falcon was or when you bought it.Maybe you got ripped off,$47000 seems a fair bit for a 6 cyl turbo falcon.The BMW would still have about 1 year/ unlimited km warranty.
It’s a Sprint. If you know anything about Falcons they were only built from March to October 2016. This is a Ford Forum right????????
Old 24-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #82
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
But looking at the cars you own you have the money to buy good low kilometre ones, and yes you are right. But whatever you do don’t buy a clapped out high kilometre one. Please. You know the rest.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #83
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was a Police officer for over 20 years. In car video is always disconnected until the officer turns on lights or sirens. So it is OFF 99 percent of the time. Unless you you have been a Police Officer I would suggest you have no idea of what I’m talking about.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #84
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
I think you should stick to your diesel Sahara. I have driven many of them. That’s why Toyota will probably not do another one.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #85
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of people buy higher km German cars with the knowledge that they will need extra love and attention. If you are pro active, happy to research, get parts elsewhere and use a good mechanic there is nothing wrong with buying one.

A used highway patrol car is not “clapped out”. If you want to see “clapped out” go to pick n Payless.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #86
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So I bought a 2016 recently, the most common fault (well the only one I could find) is these airbags collapsing. apparently they can get damaged after being on a hoist.
you can buy an airbag for around $300 and its a job that can be done at home.
BMW dealerships are the pricing concern not the car itself
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #87
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Plenty of people buy higher km German cars with the knowledge that they will need extra love and attention. If you are pro active, happy to research, get parts elsewhere and use a good mechanic there is nothing wrong with buying one.

A used highway patrol car is not “clapped out”. If you want to see “clapped out” go to pick n Payless.
There are always some good ones out there. I’m just speaking from experience. Money is not too much of a boundary for me. I just hate getting ripped off by repairs. I have lots of cars . I’m just trying to give a fair dinkum response to my experiences. Just trying to be honest.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #88
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people can’t handle the truth
Old 24-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #89
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So from where do you base this opinion?
Old 24-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #90
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 3.0 Diesel can power my X5 around quite nicely - it would go like stink in a 5 series.
all at low RPM though they have a high redline for a diesel, ( they actually sound like a petrol six from inside the car )

they are very very nice to drive.

with a lease program including maintenance I don't see what the problem is.
but regardless your kidding yourself if you think they would be unreliable compared to our Aussie offerings
2 users like this post: