Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
MercuryT
Banned

Default KIA - Would you buy one?

As per thread title it's about KIA.

Personally I like the Stinger but generally no interest whatsoever.

The brand is growing quickly here as apparently well built, reliable, and importantly excellent warranty.

Despite this I still don't want a KIA.

Thoughts?
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Hello. Good question.

Me personally no. I like Fords and will always have a falcon and later on a 4x4.

However, my partner has one. A Hyundai i20. Its small, no power, rough ride in the back and lots of road noise which is common in this segment.

No power at all but is a great city car. Her dad bought one because they stopped making Falcons. He has the Santa Fe V6 so Kia equivalent. Nice SUV. Comfy on long trips. Same fuel economy as my falcon but less power. I like the Sorento and if my partner wanted to upgrade I'd be happy to drive it.

The Kia and now Santa Fe come with the V6, as the 2.4 was underpowered.

They are like a Toyota. People who drive them don't really seem to have an interest in cars and are simply another appliance. But a reliable one it seems.

EDIT: My ex partner bought the 2003 Santa Fe in 2013. As far As I know it's still going. Hyundai / Kia have come a long way, especially after the GFC.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The new Sorento looks pretty good.

Would be onto a Telluride if they ever get it here.

7yr warranty is class leading if you decide to keep it long term.

The Stinger is a beast. I think the next one is getting a 3.5L TT from Hyundai / Genesis?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'd consider a Kia Picanto GT on the proviso that I molest it to make it move a bit quicker.

Alternatively would be happy with V6 Stinger.

Would also consider Kia Carnival in either diesel and again I'd modify or the V6 variant, they look gangster in black in top spec.

Otherwise no.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-06-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
Eurotrash

Maybe.

The Kia Picanto GT Line would be on our list, only because the better half has trouble moving a gear stick, or Kia's new compact crossover that's coming, the Rio based Kia Stonic, no not the Kia Seltos, which looks kind of cool, but it does have the same running gear as the Rio, which doesn't give me a lot of hope.

I don't mind the Cerato, especially in GT spec, sedan or hatch, but I just can't get over the placement of the rear indicators and reverse lights in the rear bumper, I just can't handle it! Call me pathetic, but it's true. You know those people who won't buy a car because the indicator stalk is on the 'wrong' side of the steering wheel, well, I'm like that with indicators in the bumpers. And Kia and Hyundai are big offenders of this for me.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #6
MercuryT
Banned

Excellent responses.

So basically we shelf the name and enjoy what it provides.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
MercuryT
Banned

I should say I'll never buy a KIA.

15 year warranty even.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:45 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has been my experience. I met my wife in 2007 and she had a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. At the time, that 5 year old car still drew a lot of attention, because people often mistook it for a Jaguar S-Type. It aged well, there were no squeaks, rattles or anything they showed it was aging. The interior was better than just about any non premium brand too. Plush velour seats, that you don’t really see anymore. Anyway, we kept that car until last year, it had over 190,000 miles (300,000kms). All it needed during that time were rear shocks, two routine timing belt changes, an alternator, and I think an AC leak. The steering still felt tight. The transmission felt tight, no slipping or anything. No exhaust leak. No oil leaks. I was impressed. My niece has the car now for commuting to university. As far as I know, still going strong. I mention this on the Kia thread because it shared the same chassis and power train as the Optima V6 from the same year.

In 2015, I was looking for work and I had just got my MBA. At the time, I was hopeful to get a job with Chrysler corporate. While I was waiting, I went down to the local dealer to see if I could sell cars for the interim and get to know Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram products. They offered me a job, but it was at their Kia dealer. I was a little disappointed because I wasn’t passionate about them. Anyway, I worked there for about a year. The Sorento has just gotten a new body style, which I loved. The Optima turbo was popular and fun to drive. I also quickly grew to love the Sedona (Carnival) which I could see was best in class. It had the best interior and amazing chassis dynamics for a van, with IRS. I was shocked to learn all over vans in the class except the Odyssey had a torsion rear axle. I also loved the value proposition. A class competitive vehicle at a competitive price, amazing warranty, and the cars had incredible styling. Since the same family owned a Toyota and CJDR seamer, it was easy to offer an objective opinion when showing people these cars. I told my customers I would probably buy one when the time was right for us.

In 2017, long after I quit working there. We bought a certified used 2016 Sorento V6 with 23,000 miles. 7 seat, leather, dual zone climate, with the balance of the full 10-year warranty. We got it for $25,000 even, which included taxes and extended warranty (making it a 10 year bumper to bumper). We still have it. It has 78,000 miles (125,000km) now. Only ever had one issue. When we drove to California it felt like unstable throttling taking off at the lights. The problem went away when we got back to Utah. I suspect it was just from. Using 85 octane fuel (which is fine at higher elevation with thinner air, but not at sea level). I think if I ran 89 there it wouldn’t have happened.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I can’t say enough good things about them. I think it’s good to be objective. At the end of the day, buy what makes you happy. But there is no objective reason to avoid Kias or Hyundais. People used to joke about them being “throw away vehicles,” but they are the ones who can’t do anything on the weekend with you because they are busy working on fixing their Ford/Holden/Chevy etc... I have driven the Stinger, and it’s an amazing car.
chevypower is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford fans and KIA detractors seem to forget that the Ford Festiva was a KIA. It sold 1 or 2 during its time here. Yes, early KIAs were rubbish, but with Euro designers and engineers, along advice from Aus as to how to make them durable, they have improved a tad.

My son had a Sportage from new, during the 5 years and 110kms he had it, the damn thing wore out a set of tyres. Should have complained to Consumer Affairs about the rubbish OEM tyres.
He has now just traded it on a 3 year old Sorento. I haven’t seen it, but I am sure that I will be able to spot faults like stone chips, dirt in the carpet, and bugs in the radiator fins.

I haven’t even sat in a Stinger, because I am not looking for a new car, but I would be more likely to park my butt in one rather than something new with a Ford badge, or that other now defunct Australian brand.
It is not always about the time elapsed between traffic lights, and carving that mythical twisty deserted road.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

My Kia experience;
I was shopping for a second car to replace my mazda bravo 4x4 D/Cab, to be used to train my kids to drive over the next 6 years (3 x kids, 2 years apart in age), the bravo was too big for my 1st Daughter to learn to drive a manual car.
near new used cars at the time were overpriced, compared to a new 2008 kia rio hatch with 5 years warranty, 12 months rego and was my 1st ever new car purchase!

So this car was used to train the kids, and it was their car respectively for the next year after they got their license until they were able to purchase their own.

Now compared to a number of new Fords and mitsubishis and a nissan micra that has been purchased in our family fleet of cars, this kia has never had an issue or warranty claim (the others did have at least one issue), the kia was also the most neglected, copping gutter rash, shopping centre dings, left outside in the sun and hail, God knows what the kids got up to in this car! and mechanically still good, body not so much, and now the radio doesn't work, fold the seats down and I can fit a wheely bin full of green waste to take to the dump , about 90k on the clock, and has been a very handy 2nd car run about, So maybe my experience is luck or a one off, but it has done its job and I still currently have this car.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have had a few different makes over the years,but probably more Fords than other brands,and really got good runs out of all.XP ,XW,XB,XF Falcons,3 F100,s.Bought a new 2004 Kia Pregio as a work van ( cheap won’t last etc)Over the 420k I had it.Replaced alternator reg brushes about every 200k,Starter solenoid contacts at over 300k,this was a delivery vehicle that was started 30-40 times every day,few headlight globes and tyres.It finally died with a blown headgasket.But other cars,V6 929 Mazda 340k,V6 Mitsi Verada 350k so I really can’t complain about any brand
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Ford fans and KIA detractors seem to forget that the Ford Festiva was a KIA. It sold 1 or 2 during its time here. Yes, early KIAs were rubbish, but with Euro designers and engineers, along advice from Aus as to how to make them durable, they have improved a tad.
Kia as we knew it went bankrupt in the late 90s & the pieces were gradually picked up by Hyundai.

The Kias of today are simply built on Hyundai platforms with different panel & badges.

Kia's "improvement" in quality has more to do with Hyundai's ownership than anything else.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have had a 2014 Kia Rondo for 3yrs, just about to clock over 100,000km. Absolutely great car, no mechanical problems to date, 7 seater so our 3 kids and friends have jumped and climbed through the interior but after a good clean it looks like new. All the plastics, dash, door cards etc are still in great condition.

Only “issues” are that the headlight coatings are just starting to peel and the roof rails paint is fading slightly. Other than that it’s faultless.

Highly recommend to anyone. Couldn’t care less about the badge, I chose the car because it ticked all our boxes. Can’t understand why you wouldn’t buy a car that suited you perfectly just because it had the wrong badge.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #14
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I have had well over 40 Hyundai Getz's, and I have wrecked about the same amount, purchased 8 one day from Pickles, 5 I repaired and 3 for parts, I can say from my experience that even the worst one I have owned were still a good car.

I have found that as long as you service them (oil and filter as a minimum) and do the timing belt, they are pretty much bullet proof and will last even if being abused on a regular basis .

My last one that I had was a red 2006 manual 5 door, it was a personal run around, parts getter and loan car for whoever needed it in the street, it had 290,000ks on the original motor, the body had its peeling clear, the trim was neat and the mechanicals were near perfect, it used a little oil, but it drove the best out of all the other Getz I have ever had, It had a tow ball and was used on many occasions for towing a trailer full of crap to the tip, loads of sand etc, even towed another Getz on a dolly (two wheeled car trailer) around on many occasions (well over its recommended tow rating shhh ), I still sold it for $2200 last year.

I would buy a new Hyundai no problem, and seeing Kia is pretty much the same underpinnings, if the car appealed to me I would definitely not discount it as a contender.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely would.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Kia's "improvement" in quality has more to do with Hyundai's ownership than anything else. Dr Terry
So if Hyundai didn't own KIA, they would still be 1990s rubbish ?
Old 07-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Only holdens and fords for me.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Such a closed mind!
Next thing you’ll say you won’t touch LDV or Great Wall ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My mum has a 2019 Kia Sportage GT Line with all the fruit.

Pretty comfortable and quiet car. Much better built than the Hyundai IX35 she traded it in for. It goes pretty well too. Brakes are a little hard under pedal though. But overall, with 7yr warranty etc, she is happy with it.

My Grandma who is 92 bought the Kia Picanto not long after my mum, just because she could. She loves it.

I drove the Kia Stinger about the same time my mum picked up her Sportage. Dam quick car for what it is and I was impressed with the build quality. The look the goods on the road.

Would I buy one? Brand new? Probably not. Second hand with remainder warranty, possibly, and only the Stinger. But thats just me being bias.

One thing for sure is Kia have a come a long way and they have improved heaps. I don't think I can afford to be a brand snob anymore with the warranty and kit available for the price.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #20
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Yes, Kia and Hyundai make good cars now. The hardest part is looking past the badge.

Back in the 90s you wouldn't touch either of these brands with a barge pole. Times have changed.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #21
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree, but, sorry, I will try to be gentle with this …….. they don't exist anymore in a new showroom.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #22
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And how do you define Ford and Holden now that the Aus manufacturing has gone
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #23
MercuryT
Banned

As previous I have no doubt KIA makes great value cars.

I just couldn't buy one! ha
Old 07-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
MercuryT
Banned

Great posts too to get an ownership perspective.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #25
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the moment no.
They are sort of there but just seem to fall short.
I could have got a Stinger over the Mustang, but styling is not right for me.
Plenty of classic muscle car lines they could have borrowed from years gone by and could have nailed it. It is another one of those cars where it looks like a different team designed the front and back. Might appeal to the Korean market but not here and I imagine the USA.
Should have also been a V8. Given the void left by the XR6T it should have matched or bettered its output if using the V6.
Not saying it is a bad car just 5 cents in how it could have been better.

From Left field, why don't they offer a seats stripped out version of the Carnival for Tradies. Would be good for service type trades, that need ladders ect and will still be able to get into car parks.

I will be interested in what their spin of a Dual Cab will be if they make from off the Hyudnai. If they base the styling off the Telluride it could look awesome.

Speaking of Telluride why isn't it sold here. What is it with the USA not wanting to export LHD. I think it would sell well here.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #26
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I'd consider it if I were looking at a new rapid family sedan. But at the same time I would consider, Audi, BMW, Merc, Hyundai, Lexus etc. I don't have a brand allegiance now that Falcon is no more so I'd consider all my options, and the Stinger GT is definately one of them.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #27
MercuryT
Banned

I need a wagon so unfortunately KIA doesn't have anything I'd consider (I would definitely consider a Stinger if wagon).

It's amazing the 7 year warranty.

Even premium brands don't get near it.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #28
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

For family cars there is not really much left to choose from now, its either European or Asian built cars, so unless you want a Merc, BMW or Audi, the Asian cars are all thats left, and they are giving the Family consumer bang for buck with what they offer standard and the warranty they give.

I have a C200 Mercedes for the wife, we had a Renault Koleos before that and I have to say bang for buck the Koleos (made in Asia with Nissan running gear) craps all over the Merc for standard options and is half the price.

Koleos, keyless operation, Merc, Option
Koleos, park assist, Merc, Option
Koleos, leather standard, Merc, Fake man made pleather
Koleos, rear camera, Merc , Option
Koleos, lane assist, Merc, Option
Koleos, touch screen nav, Merc, standard screen, nav option
Koleos, premium sound, Merc, Option
Koleos, 5 year warranty, Merc, 2 year with option to extend
Koleos, $36,990 Merc, $60,990

Ok the Koleos might not be here in 20 years, but the Merc, wont be far behind, next car will definitely be Asian built and will tick all the boxes as options and bang for buck
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
And how do you define Ford and Holden now that the Aus manufacturing has gone
Means I wont be buying anymore new cars. But I think I have enough for the rest of my life.

I dont do asian, nazi or FWD

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #30
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought an i30 for the missus after years of using Hyundai’s at work. Never had any major issues, a couple of little things like a sticking button on the steering wheel, tailgate release button rubber cracking. All replaced under warranty no questions asked.

Our i30 had a really minor paint defect in a door. Was tough to even notice it but decided to get it looked at. Booked in for a week with Hyundai, courtesy car supplied, i30 was serviced at the same time, both drivers side doors resprayed at reputable body shop , completely sorted in 3 days. Extremely accommodating, no stress.

The car itself has been brilliant. Good power, great gearbox, excellent on fuel and very comfortable. Heaps of tech even for a base model. Will be keeping it for a very long time I’d say. 25,000kms in just over a year. Did look at the Cerato, just didn’t like it quite as much as the i30, plus the Cerato has a less powerful motor compared to i30.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post