Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Changed Rotors/Pads and now a rattle??!

OMG this is now driving me nuts! A little backgorund.

After getting my TE I got all new Rotors and Pads installed, I generally do this with most cars I buy, anyway..the reason for the refresh was the old sets were squealing.

So I ordered some slotted/drilled DBA rotors and some RESMA pads through the forum. Worked great, good feel, but my god the amount of dust they made was a joke and within one week they somehow glazed the rotors. Great, so I had to get the rotors machined (now 2 weeks old!) and told them to through the pads in the bin.

So I ok'd them to pick some pads that had bite, not much dust, and were quiet. They installed some bendix Stealth pads.

These work very well and solve all the above problems. Until a week later I start to get this god awful rattling from the front end..sounds like its about to fall apart.

It only happens when the brakes are not applied, which is alot of the time! So I take it back to the shop and say WTF, that wasnt happening before. They call me up and say all fixed, we had to shim the pads...stupid me was happy with that, noise gone.

So here we are a few weeks later and its rattling again! I CBF'd taking it back to that shop as I am working in the opposite direction now.

So before going to another place can anyone explain to me why something is loose in the first place and why pads or any brake parts would ever need shimming?

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
cozza1
Starter Motor

Default Re: Changed Rotors/Pads and now a rattle??!

The shims in the pads are to stop the squeal, i have always thrown them out and used pad quiet. The noise sounds like they might of left a caliper or carrier loose, check the other side?
cozza1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Gaz
Got Ghia?

IIRC there are little metal spacers/tabs that sit on each end of the pad where they hook onto the rotor and you can get a rattle if they are missing?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cheers guys, I just wanted to go to the mechanic with a bit of a clue. Im just not so sure how ti got missed or how it was "fixed" and then loosened again.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Wwellsyy
2004 BA XR8

I Have the exact same problem as you.
The front wheels rattle when shaken up by a pothole or something.
(Not when braking)
I also believe that the pads are somehow loose.
I wish there was a diagram that i could look at to check myself if anything needs tightening.
Does anybody have one for Polyal and I ?
Wwellsyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post