Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Negativity towards the new 380 already.

Did anyone see Tom Phillips on the news tonight, saying that the new 380 may not pull Mitsubishi Australia through.

Seems to me like they may have recieved some negative critism with the new models styling and lack of performance orientation. For a brand new model it doesn't sound very positive when the retiring CEO has his doubts!

I hope it does alright for the sake of the company and its people, we all know what it was like with the AU and the negativity it brought with it. For me personally however I don't particularly like the car, I had high hopes for the new VRX but its pretty doughy considering its only 175 kw as per the standard 380.

Theres obviously a market for the car, but whether Mits can sell its required 30,000 + units a year is another story. :lookedat:

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Well one thing I could not understand after reading the Wheels 20 odd page special on the 380 is why the GT (top of the range 'sporty' model) is SLOWER over the 1/4 mile than the base model 380 by almost 0.5 of a second! :

I don't know about others but when I hear 'GT' I think a sports orientated car that should be quicker than the far cheaper base model 380! Its just ridiculous! They keep shooting themselves in the foot.. Why keep the power the same as the base model car in your flagship model?!

Plus it's front wheel drive, that automatically eliminates it from me even wanting to own one.. When will they learn?

The sad part is I want this car to be a success as I am in the manufacturing industry and know how tight it is right now with China and Asia stepping up to the plate and it would be a shame to lose a lot of jobs here in Adelaide.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But then again the NA XR6 has the same power as the XT and the NA XR6 sells quite well - I would have liked to have seen a bit more oomph on the VRX and GT too, but they simply did not have the development dollars there. However, there is a Mivec version of the 3.8 that will probably make an appearance during the next series upgrade - expect at least 190kw, and although Mitsubishi doesn't have the funding to develop an AWD at the moment, the new 380 platform has been designed to easily accept an AWD drivetrain.

On what tom said - I didn't hear what Tom said, hopefully it was taken out of context. Motor gave the car a fairly decent review for what it is (6 cyl family car), and the prices and options that you get with the car are not that bad.

If you look beyond the Holden/Ford/Toyota competition, then you can also see the car possibly taking some sales from the Accord/Accord Euro and even the Liberty.

At least the 380 seems to have people talking. I must also say that the ad campaign on TV right now looks quite good, reminds me slightly of the original ad for the BA.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
But then again the NA XR6 has the same power as the XT and the NA XR6 sells quite well - I would have liked to have seen a bit more oomph on the VRX and GT too, but they simply did not have the development dollars there. However, there is a Mivec version of the 3.8 that will probably make an appearance during the next series upgrade - expect at least 190kw, and although Mitsubishi doesn't have the funding to develop an AWD at the moment, the new 380 platform has been designed to easily accept an AWD drivetrain.

On what tom said - I didn't hear what Tom said, hopefully it was taken out of context. Motor gave the car a fairly decent review for what it is (6 cyl family car), and the prices and options that you get with the car are not that bad.

If you look beyond the Holden/Ford/Toyota competition, then you can also see the car possibly taking some sales from the Accord/Accord Euro and even the Liberty.

At least the 380 seems to have people talking. I must also say that the ad campaign on TV right now looks quite good, reminds me slightly of the original ad for the BA.
Yes, i know the XT and XR6 run the same gear, but the whole line up doesn't.

If Ford had the same motor throughout the entire range, for example with an XT / XR6 / Fairmont / Fairmont Ghia and thats all that was on offer do you really think they would sell more then 30,000 units? Back in the dieing days of the AU ford were lucky to break the 30k barrier.

I just think they should have atleast had 2 varients of the V6, one for the cheapies and one for the VRX and GT, specially considering the NZ one has more KW? why is that?
Old 15-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

I think the 380 looks great, except for one thing. They managed to design the ugliest steering wheel in the world, and decide to use that. I'd kick my own **** if I was the designer of that steering wheel.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bonnet is a tad odd too, looks like an AU 1 Forte bonnet.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
I just think they should have atleast had 2 varients of the V6, one for the cheapies and one for the VRX and GT, specially considering the NZ one has more KW? why is that?
We have the whole euro 3 compliance, they don't.

Motor suggested that the 175kw figure was conservative - it maybe, but I wouldn't see it putting out over 185kw. Anyway, apparently MMAL were getting those 190kw figures but this got reduced due to emission laws and noise.

As for not having two different levels of engines: I've heard reports that MMAL wanted to, however they didn't have the development dollars to support two different engine levels, so they just developed the high output engine and put it across the range.

Your concerns regarding the VRX and GT are quite valid, however if you want to play devil's advocate then you can also say you can get the best performance from the best selling base model. I think there is a market for the VRX and GT though - some people will be enticed by the supposed levels of touring comfort.

If we also look at the TJ to TW models, there was a variance of 7kw and 1NM between the VRX/GTVi and the standard models - the VRX and GTVi basically got their 7kw gain from a high flow exhaust, although they also had the bodykit, 17s etc. In my own opinion, there are quite a lot of VRXs from this series on the road, and I wouldn't entirely say the 7kw gain was to thank, probably more the bodykit and bigger mags, but regardless, I can understand your concerns! It will certainly be very interesting to see.
Old 15-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually the difference in the standard XT and XR6 is much greater now with the 6-speed auto and 6-speed manual both being available in the XR6 now, niether of those boxes are available in the XT.

Just drove the naturally aspirated BF XR6 the other day in both 6-speed manual and 6-speed auto. The 6-speed auto is extremely impressive and the 190kW six is a ripper.

It will be interesting to see how the new 380 will be received by the public but the reaction from the media has been less than favorable.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
aimzes
...fairly odd

it looks great. just a pity its fwd lol.
Old 15-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
it looks great. just a pity its fwd lol.
Yeah to sell a heaps of cars in australia, especially to try and take sales from holden and ford, they need to be rear wheel drive, if not 4wd. otherwise i dont think it will sell any better than a magna
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
Falcon Freak
Banned

Mitsubishi Australia's future is very shaky. Even if they sell 30,000+ cars locally of the new 380 model each year they will not break even. They have no export 380 model and this is where Mitsubishi Australia made the bulk of their money in the past.

The only question which comes to my mind is if Mitsubishi Australia will beat Leyand Australia's dubious record. The P76 was released in June 1973 and cancelled in October 1974.

How long will the 380 last?

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 15-10-2005 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
ar3nbe
Starter Motor

For a "new" model it dosnt really look much different from the last generation of magnas. I think even the common folk who dont know much about cars will prob see the 380 as a magna, something i thought mitsubishi were trying to stop hence the new name.

It dosnt look like a bad car, just a little plain in my opinion. There is something wrong with the sports models having the same power but more weight. Mitsubishi must be loosing a whole group of sales from this as there is no competition for the xr6t, xr8, sv8 or ss. I hope they do bring in another raliart eventually.
ar3nbe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #13
marcosambrose

I love the styling of the VRX/GT Models, just one thing, how many people here have given the TF-TJ Magnas a real thrashing? although its FWD they are very very quick cars around town, off the line they have great urge, even the base model executives.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

380 what ahahahah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
I love the styling of the VRX/GT Models, just one thing, how many people here have given the TF-TJ Magnas a real thrashing? although its FWD they are very very quick cars around town, off the line they have great urge, even the base model executives.
having worked for mitsubishi i know exactly how quick and good the magnas were but they just werent right for the market. they were very plain and the FWD is useless around corners and in the wet. the new 380 doesnt look to be anything special. its basically the same car with a different body. i think mitsubishi are in trouble.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Driven plenty of hire car magnas the engines had the goods but fwd just doesnt get it to the ground the awd is too heavy and slows them down and the 380 has been hit with the same ugly stick Subaroo have been using lately.

its dead without a lighter bodied AWD that looks good. quality is great motor is great but car is a dud still.

Get Chyrsler guys from the states involved rebadge it restyle it YESTERDAY.

Its AUI to AUII to me
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #17
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLynx
having worked for mitsubishi i know exactly how quick and good the magnas were but they just werent right for the market. they were very plain and the FWD is useless around corners and in the wet. the new 380 doesnt look to be anything special. its basically the same car with a different body. i think mitsubishi are in trouble.
Its an all-new car apart from the trip computer so it cant be that bad, am i the only one here that likes the 380? (even a little bit?)
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsubishi make great rally cars, trucks and excavators, nothing will ever change.

Old 15-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #19
buickman
buickman

On the way home from a kids basketball match I stop off & had a look at a 380 in the flesh at the Knox dealership . They look good nice interior bar the S/Wheel. Annoying sales reps pestered me but I still would not buy 1.
Plus if Mitsubishi thinks its not the answer for survival in Australia as a manufacturer that would not help with good sales.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #20
oldracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarridtheruler
Yeah to sell a heaps of cars in australia, especially to try and take sales from holden and ford, they need to be rear wheel drive, if not 4wd. otherwise i dont think it will sell any better than a magna
I hope you are quoting this from experience and not just listening to all the other people who have not "really" driven a Magna
As I have said many times before, my VRX was bought after trading in an AU XR8 which was after an ED XR8 and I will have my VRX any day, 170K's and still going like a train and by the way, there's not much off the line that leaves me behind
My comparison is my avatar, just a few HP to liven my day and RWD, but my daily driver is just fine
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #21
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the critics of the VRX and the GT having the same power of the 380 - The Mazda 6 is in the exact same boat, Camry Sportivo, the BA NA Xr6 and the VY S was in the same boat.

In fact, if we look beyond our red and blue blood, pontential direct competition for the 380 also includes:

Alfa 156
Subaru Liberty
Audi A4 2.0L (non quottro)
Honda Accord/Accord Euro
Toyota Camry
Mazda 6
Nissan Maxima
Hyundai's family car
Volkswagen Bora/Passat
Saab 9-3
Volvo s40/v40

14 cars, 13 of which are fwd I believe.
Old 16-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #22
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

I think it's a good car but why no wagon version???? A lot of lady drivers dont care about fwd and husbands dont mind there second family car that way either.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 08:54 AM   #23
rebelpilot

Thumbs down What goin on at Mitsibishi

[QUOTE=ShockWaveXR6na] I just think they should have atleast had 2 varients of the V6, one for the cheapies and one for the VRX and GT, specially considering the NZ one has more KW? QUOTE]
I think everyone is baffled by that one Shockwave . I personally had drawn the assummption(from Motor Mag) that the Perth Based Sprintex was developing a supercharged model in conjuntion with Mitsubishi.bout 220 flywheel KWS.And wheres that AWD. I think they need to develop a comparativly powered car(to rest of aussie car makers) or we may be kissing them goodbye in the near future. Saddens me a little as I have had some brilliant HEMI's over the years/Mitsubishi formerly Chrysler. py:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #24
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
Its an all-new car apart from the trip computer so it cant be that bad, am i the only one here that likes the 380? (even a little bit?)
Mate your not the only one, I reckon its a fantasic car. I hate the FWD/RWD
argument.
Fact : RWD vs FWD is not a major consideration for 95% of Motorists.
As I have said in another post, lets revisit it in a year and see what transpires.
My prediction is the 380 will outsell the traditional falcon/commodore family market.
Old 16-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #25
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Audi A4 2.0L (non quottro)
Not the 4 door?? Because that is what Quatro stands for (Quatroporte, meaning Four Doors)?
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #26
Falcon Freak
Banned

[QUOTE=rebelpilot]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
I just think they should have atleast had 2 varients of the V6, one for the cheapies and one for the VRX and GT, specially considering the NZ one has more KW? QUOTE]
I think everyone is baffled by that one Shockwave . I personally had drawn the assummption(from Motor Mag) that the Perth Based Sprintex was developing a supercharged model in conjuntion with Mitsubishi.bout 220 flywheel KWS.And wheres that AWD. I think they need to develop a comparativly powered car(to rest of aussie car makers) or we may be kissing them goodbye in the near future. Saddens me a little as I have had some brilliant HEMI's over the years/Mitsubishi formerly Chrysler. py:
When the 380 project started it was planned to have three engines. A base engine, a higher powered variant of the base engine for VR-X and a MIVEC variant for the top of the range and long wheel based model. All of these were cancelled except for the VR-X engine which has been fitted as standard to all 380 models.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #27
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Mitsubishi is stuck. They know what car they need (RWD or AWD alteast decent power and some diffrent models like LWB or ute).. But they aren't allowed to build them.

If the 300c takes off in RHD markets I wonder if they might concider making them here and handing the plant back over to Chrysler..

Mitsubishi are screwed.. If they couldn't win with AWD models, decent power advantage and a extra ratio they won't win now.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #28
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Not the 4 door?? Because that is what Quatro stands for (Quatroporte, meaning Four Doors)?
Quottro is the Audi name for AWD
Old 16-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Mate your not the only one, I reckon its a fantasic car. I hate the FWD/RWD
argument.
Fact : RWD vs FWD is not a major consideration for 95% of Motorists.
As I have said in another post, lets revisit it in a year and see what transpires.
My prediction is the 380 will outsell the traditional falcon/commodore family market.
Your dreaming if you think Mitsubishi is going to sell anywhere near what Ford / Holden Sell in Falcon/Commodores! My predictions is that they will be lucky to sell 2500 a month, maybe they will sell 4,000 in the first few months while everyone is pumped about them, but come a few months after launch when the initial excitment so to speak is over, they will be lucky to do 2500.
Old 16-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant believe someone with an AU (and wagon mind you) is having a go at the 380's styling ::
Pot calling kettle black anyone :
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post