Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2024, 11:01 AM   #1
HONK
*Honker*

Default No need for a paint shop. Spray cans do an OK job these days, saving $$$.

On Youtube there are various videos showing you how to spray your car with cans, many of these videos show a completed car that looks fairly decent, especially compared to how it looked before.
  • If you want a perfect job you pay $3500 at a shop.
  • If you want a decent job you could pay $250 and do it yourself instead.
  • If you stuff it up, then you go to the paint shop, what have you got to lose?
It all depends what you're happy with I guess.
Take a look at some videos and check out the results. Try this before spending all your dim sim money on someone to do the exact same thing!

Here's a quick bad can job that looks 100% better than it did before:

Here's a couple more to look at: Good stuff.
HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No need for a paint shop. Spray cans do an OK job these days, saving $$$.

Ive done one car with cans (wasn't mine and wasn't my idea) and I think we went through about 20 cans. Theyre near 50 bucks each at my local aswell. That was for a custom colour. By the time you also buy cans of primer, and the extra time to wet sand and buff, in my opinion it's a false economy.
I remember it sucking too because of how long it took to actually get the paint out of the can and onto the car.
But, the cans I used were acrylic, and it did come up great at the end, but obviously not going to be as resistant as a normal 2k job through a hvlp gun, and if you have a compressor and gun (any man should), I don't see any advantage.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2024, 12:38 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: No need for a paint shop. Spray cans do an OK job these days, saving $$$.

Welcome to the forum.
Listen to Jack91, YouTube genius will tell you a bunch of Horses**t that gullible people believe.
The moment I heard Enamel, I stopped listening, been ther done that 35 years ago, never again.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2024, 12:46 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Real men paint cars with house paint and a roller - check out this fine specimen we did:

The gross lime green highlights, this baby shit brown haynes house paint, the black is that underbody insulation/tray paint stuff, all applied skilfully with a roller

chefs kiss

We ruined a Landcruiser Bundera, which apparently is quite valuable these days

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-AD-17652759/?

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2024, 01:59 PM   #5
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing turns me off buying a car more than some bogan who’s taken to the OEM alloys with a $20 can of satin black spray paint.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2024, 04:04 PM   #6
HONK
*Honker*

Correct, I wouldn't touch the alloys with paint.

Black painted rims are garbage too.
Old 10-08-2024, 04:12 PM   #7
HONK
*Honker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Ive done one car with cans (wasn't mine and wasn't my idea) and I think we went through about 20 cans. Theyre near 50 bucks each at my local aswell. That was for a custom colour. By the time you also buy cans of primer, and the extra time to wet sand and buff, in my opinion it's a false economy. I remember it sucking too because of how long it took to actually get the paint out of the can and onto the car. But, the cans I used were acrylic, and it did come up great at the end, but obviously not going to be as resistant as a normal 2k job through a hvlp gun, and if you have a compressor and gun (any man should), I don't see any advantage.
Right, I was amazed at the price of painting a bumper with cans bought at supercheap auto, each 300ml can about $50, absurd.

Primer about $25, then clear on top, and sandpapers, etc. It all adds up, more than I thought it'd be.

Could have done less coats, but then it'd have to be done again next year most likely.

Still, the home paint-job could be a viable choice if done right especially compared to most car respray shop prices I think.

Look out for paints when they are on special maybe.