Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why are we all so angry all the time?

Why are people so unkind?

Not to channel Kamahl anything, but yesterday I, along with just about every other boatie in or around the Shire descended on the few boats ramps.

I got there early, and having a yacht, did a simple launch then took her up river, away from the ramp and wharf to put the mast and other rigging up – out of everyone’s way.

My wife, who some of the regular players here might know, almost died in August and is recovering from a series of operations. Miraculously she will be fine, and she was up to getting out of the house and out on the boat for a bit of R & R. She managed to drive down to the ramp herself later in the morning when I had it all ready. I was anchored away from the beach (leaving it and the wharf to all the other people trying to get their boats in). She stopped at the very back of an empty 4 rig long boat wash bay (the last of which has an inoperative tap anyway). She had to stop here as the two disabled spots were taken by cars with no MPS passes (she has a temporary one for obvious reasons). She was well out of the way of anyone, and just stepped out of the car to let me know to come to the wharf and pick her up. I was then going quickly to take her car back up a very steep hill as there was no parking left anywhere close by, and race back down. About 5 mins in total and a fraction of what others were doing holding up car bays, wharves and beaches for. But I digress.

Some guy then proceeded to absolutely tear shreds off her, calling her names, and demanding she move her car now. Tough guy, picking on a small, young woman. Real hero. When she politely explained that she was waiting for me to get her on the boat and then move her car straight away, he demanded to know ‘what was wrong with her that she couldn’t park it herself’. So she replied that it was none of his business, but she was just out of major surgery and couldn't walk 300m down a steep hill. He then carried on some more to himself.

Now I am the first to acknowledge that parking illegally and just not giving a toss about other is a big problem. Hence my going out of the way to be out of everyone else’s that morning as we are considerate. To be so aggro in the morning, in front of your kids, over the an issue of 2 mins (the other 3 was me running the car up the hill) when not in anyone’s way, or in a No Stopping area, is completely over the top. She was in tears for the next half hour and it ruined the best part of the morning.

It was the same when I was really sick in 2004. I had 10 operations (yes, we have been a bit unlucky) and required an MPS pass for me on my then new XR6 (which I bought to cheer me up a bit, and I needed an auto). I was under 30, driving the XR6 and needed to use disabled spots, sometimes with a chair, and sometimes I could just manage about 50m without. I was hassled EVERYwhere. People yelled at me, called me the most worst profanities, spat on me, called the Police on me, someone keyed the car, abusive notes were left. Sometimes right next to the clearly valid MPS pass. I took to turning it over and displaying my photo (which is supposed to face dash down for personal security - and only shown to authorised inspectors on request). I forwent this security and left the photo up to show it was for me, yet all that achieved was a move to berate me for ‘bludging’ the system. It was so much for me that it really worsened my severe depression over everything else, and led me to being a recluse. I even missed medical appointments (which I was only really going out for). I just couldn’t be independent and live a normal life, as anyone who has been long term ill will sympathise with.

Go Australia. Kicking people when they are down is awesome, get on the train!!! Look, I believe everyone should be considerate of others and not park where they are not supposed to. But to attack people over such non or legitimate issues just shows who were the schoolyard bullies earlier in life, who have not outgrown it, and who have a void of meaning elsewhere in their lives.

What is the harm in politely pointing out not to park there, to move if you are in someone’s way, or asking if someone is alright?

Someone in a car came and parked next to me in a boat and trailer only spot as I was leaving later that day. I politely told them that the rangers were around booking cars without trailers so parked (which they were). She thanked me as hadn’t seen the sign and was happy to have avoided the potential for a fine and moved the car. Job done, and she wasn’t in tears for the next half hour. Gave me another wave as I left too.

Why are we all so angry all of a sudden, all the time?

Old 16-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
qwiksix

Q: Why are we all so angry all the time?
[code]
A: I AM NOT ANGRY !!!!
[/code]
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksix
Q: Why are we all so angry all the time?
[code]
A: I AM NOT ANGRY !!!!
[/code]
Nice! I enjoyed...
Old 16-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Steroids.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

for the vast majority of it, I don't believe it is anger related.
Just lack for respect for our fellow human beings.
That in turn, makes me angry!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Steroids.
+ 1 Vote for steroids hahaha
Old 16-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It's because I'm short.......YOU WANNA GO DO YA?????

Seriously that sucks, no reason for the clown to have a go at your mrs.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
spooty

Did you have a word with the guy yelling at your wife?

Some people are insane :(
spooty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I feel for you Finch. I also had some health issues back in 06 that made it difficult to walk long distances. I had Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia which made it difficult to breathe while sitting down let alone walking. It required me to get a disabled parking permit.

What got me though was whenever I used it, I would get the worst death stares imaginable and also comments from others like 'Your not disabled', 'wheres ya wheelchair sport?' or even a shake of the head in disapproval. Simply because I didnt 'look' disabled.

Sadly there are so many people out there willing to judge others on face value that they fail to show compassion where it counts.

I now refuse to use a disabled park for fear of ridicule, plus also on principle. I feel that if someone is worse off than me, they can have it, not because I have the right to use a disabled park. Im using the disabled permit again now since Im on crutches for a broken ankle. I dont like using it, but I will if I need to.

As far as anger is concerned though, individuals that take this approach feel that their life is MORE important than anyone elses. This disturbs me as I see it even in day to day life. People having to wait 2minutes at the service station for fuel, people having to wait in the checkout at the shops, pretty much everywhere you go. Someone elses life seems more important than yours and they are not afraid to show it.

I feel for your mrs Finch. I really do and I know how she felt. All I can say id keep being a good example out there by showing other common decency. Karma will go to those who dont.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

The bloke who spoke to your wife sounds like a . I would of had a few choice words with him.

Similar story regarding the disabled parking. My uncle rolled a bulldozer years ago and broke his back along with many other injuries and is in turn a paraplegic. Now he can still walk with the aid of crutches (bent back hunched over) but only for a few metres before being sore and worn out. Anyway he use to have a really nice subaru wrx wagon (to fit wheelchair in) with a worked motor, monster turbo, 3 inch stainless exhaust, lowered with full whiteline suspension, mags etc. Sometimes when we use to pull into the disabled parking spots you would see people give you dirty looks and sometimes people would comment. That is until he got out and pulled the wheel chair out of the back. It's amazing how many people judge a book by its cover.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the problem is "INBREDS BREEDING WITH INBREDS","HALF WITS BREEDING WITH HALF WITS" , (govenment baby bonus)until we teach respect of other people in our children the problems only gunna get worse,wat sort of role model would that bloke be to his kids,(removed by laminge),his kids will grow up and be worse , unfortunately that is society today,AND WE MADE IT THAT WAY,would this bloke pick on someone larger than him I THINK NOT,reminds me of MR HERO ,who tried to undertake a lady in main street of town,we she tooted horn at him he parked right in front of her car,got out (as above),processeded to rant and rave at her ,(she wouldnt weigh 40kgs wet),but dont mind the traffic building up behind them,(i counted 60 cars waiting for MR HERO)i think we refer to start of reply "INBREEDS BREEDING WITH INBREDS",sorry the mrs had a bad day CHIN UP

Last edited by Laminge; 16-11-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Please dont avoid the swear filter, it is there for a reason
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took a deep breath, and just told the guy that if there is a problem in future maybe he should just ask them to move politely if there is a problem. I didn't want to make a scene, just wanted to get the boat off the wharf so someone else could use it.

In 2004 it was only out of desperation that I would even drive anyway. I tried to arrange all my appointments at a time when my wife, neighbours or family could take me. Drop me at the door then go and park at the back of the carpark, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the MPS scheme in the first place. It also puts a strain on people’s carers for no other reason than to avoid ignorant, misdirected abuse.

It shouldn't be the type of car that is an issue. If a car parked in a disabled spot has a valid MPS pass then it's off limits to abuse those in it. If people suspect its fraud etc then they could jot down the card number, rego and description of the driver and it would get cleared up. But no, where is the fun in non-vigilante behaviour?

Strong believer in Karma, so I take solace in that, but I am saddened to hear this kind of thing is pretty common place.

The other thing I am copping at the moment is people who feel they need to comment on how I look after my wife. I get her car out of the garage if she needs it, carry her handbag if her shoulders are sore again, do all the housework, drive her to work if she can't handle it that day etc. Some people feel the need to tell me I should stop being such a 'pussie' and let my wife do stuff for herself, such as this bloke yesterday. Complete strangers. The fact she is still here, let alone making the effort to go to work in pain etc is amazing. She wouldn't let me do anything for her that she could do anyway as she is frustrated with it and wants to be better and back to 'normal'.

Maybe people are so insecure because they treat their loved ones and anyone else like complete crap?

On a more positive note, boaties are usually a pretty friendly bunch, much more than motorists. Break down or need a hand in a boat and usually there is no hesitation. It’s an unwritten code. Quite a few people helped me get the boat (over 6m) back on the trailer in a heavy crosswind without asking, as most people usually do on the water. It is what the roads must have been like decades ago. While I don't want to generalise, it has been my experience that the new breed of wakeboard boat owners do not adopt this friendly, 'boating fraternity' approach. They seem to be the pariahs of the sea, the boating equivalent of many young Commodore drivers. Which is sad, because I share an older Malibu with my brother and we don’t have the need to be an idiot to others. Same with a lot of my wakeboarding mates.

No need to guess what sort of boat this guy had.

Last edited by Pinch; 16-11-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Pinch keep up your good work. Your example is good for us all to hear. We need more people like yourself in this world.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the signs of this high tech world we're living in today unfortunately categorised by being too busy, stressed out, always in a hurry, personal debt, unhealthy lifestyles, drugs and grog, escalating divorce rates, crime rates, depression, kids expectations, trying to keep up with the Jones's ...yada, yada.

I've lived in a few cities in my time and I hate to say it, but Sydney seems to be the worst in terms of respect for your fellow man...although the Shire I thought was different??

Melbourne on the other hand , I've never seen a more friendlier place and I always enjoy going there for that reason.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

If it happened in "The Shire" he was probably on more than steroids!
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
While I don't want to generalise, it has been my experience that the new breed of wakeboard boat owners do not adopt this friendly, 'boating fraternity' approach. They seem to be the pariahs of the sea, the boating equivalent of many young Commodore drivers.
This I agree with - with the stereo blaring and cutting everyone off. There was one time that I was on the slalom course and old mate malibu decided to whip it around right in front of me, for some unknown, most likely fully sick, reason.

As for why everyone is so angry, I guess it's just because everyone is conditioned to getting their own way, every time these days.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

The anger I feel is misdirected because there are those that do park in disabled parking who are not disabled and everyone is so sick of that and probably due to pigeon holeing drivers of certain cars think anyone driving an XR6 would not be disabled and therefore they have a shot at you.

I similarly have had that in pram parking bays only. We registered our car at the shopping centre for pram parking and have a sticker on the window of my EL XR8. I have 3 babies in the back in baby seats and I roll up in a lowered modified XR8 with big wheels and I got abuse from a lady in a 4wd who had no sticker and kids who were 3 or 4 and she parked there. I ignored her as I got out and then got my kids out and then told her to "mind your own business". She was the type of person who didn't care that she was wrong and walked off still feeling like she was in the right for having a go at me. I mean how dare I drive a XR8 with 3 baby seats. I must be insane.
Old 16-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
BlackLS
yum

I've noticed it lately too, people are just ignorant and rude. I was turning left using a little slip lane which has a zebra crossing to a refuge island for the traffic light intersection. This island is full of pedestrians waiting for the traffic lights , so you need to creep around the slip lane to see if there are cars coming. A bus came along and was stopped from traffic banked up and I stopped with the back corner of the car sitting on the pedestrian crossing - 15 secs later a guy comes around to my window and starts yelling abuse at me "its a pedestrian crossing, you know, for pedestrians". I thought that was unnecessary.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
It's the signs of this high tech world we're living in today unfortunately categorised by being too busy, stressed out, always in a hurry, personal debt, unhealthy lifestyles, drugs and grog, escalating divorce rates, crime rates, depression, kids expectations, trying to keep up with the Jones's ...yada, yada.

I've lived in a few cities in my time and I hate to say it, but Sydney seems to be the worst in terms of respect for your fellow man...although the Shire I thought was different??

Melbourne on the other hand , I've never seen a more friendlier place and I always enjoy going there for that reason.
Try work in Broadmeadows, you'll quickly change your tune, my 50 year old mum been threatened with having the crap beaten out of her and abused by narky customers for refusing to take a credit card with Mrs/Miss from a guy on there (Claiming wifes/girlfriends card) or refusing to refund products that the customer has deliberaterly damaged.

Everyone seems to have a stick lodged firmly up their ***** these days.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132

Couldn't agree more. And that is the really intersting thing, the huge paradox of our time is that we have all this extra assistance in the form of technology and such to make our lives more carefree and less stressed, yet the reality is the exact opposite it seems!

Yes the Shire, and absolutely it's generally better than many other parts of Sydney for crime etc, but even here sometimes the rudeness and arrogance can be a bit out of place. I generally find Melbourne more friendly too, but haven't tried my hand at the nightclubs in the city in the small hours of the morning. I hear that tells a different tale with serious random violence.

I lived in the country for a few years, and that was the best place I have ever lived. Too much of a commute to, and a lack of opportunity in Canberra killed that deal though. Interestingly people say Paris is one of the most rude and unfriendly places in the world, yet we found it the complete opposite.

But in Australia, does Brisbane rate as the friendly capital. Never had any drama's, or even any road rage up there??? Seems a bit more laid back...

In all honesty I really have nothing to complain about, and if this is the biggest of my worries I am pretty lucky. So that's the way I view it.

I just thought it a trend I had been noticing and worthy of discussion.
Old 16-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #21
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

see what gives anyone the right to hassle people like lowEL2xr8, doing the right thing? How is it their business? The same sort of people that have this tendency also tend to be the ones that have an aggressive attitude to things like people driving slower in front of them than they would like (even if in the left lane). Hypocritical much?

I know people abuse disabled parking spots, and while concern over this is generally well founded, acting out on people that do have the permit for whatever ignorant perception they have is so far from their original intent of 'helping'.

And agree that a lot also stems from a sense of entitlement and everyone should just accede to what they want.

To be honest, I am not sure what the answer is. We as a country have thankfully long been without truly horrific catastophies, like large scale war etc that make the entire nation take stock of what's really important. Notable exceptions for our Victorian brothers and sisters, and other tragedies like Bali, but even these have not been able to change the entitlement culture that seems to be gathering pace.

The worst thing of all, is all this makes me sound like I could qualify for pensioners insurance, when the reality is I still get asked for ID occassionally.

And Peuty, those speakers on the new Malibu's are just crazy. On Sunday there were about 10 boats all anchored in a nice little cove, chilling, reading, chatting, drinking, swimming etc when all that got thrown out when some OC/Gossip Girl (been watching that crap with my wife) whiter-than-white P Diddy wannabe's turned up in a Wakesetter and absolutely cranked the one crap rap song over and over. We were leaving anyway, but just completely ruined it for everyone else I guess. Could still hear it 2km away. No they weren't the only yonger people there, plenty of others on party barges etc just having a good time without really annoying the crap out of everyone else. But everyone groans now when a wake boat turns up anywhere, to the point I told people when we turned up at a beach in my bro's we said no we were not there to ruin their picnic, and got on great after that, even gave one of their kids a turn on the board. He wasn't bad either for a first timer!

Last edited by Pinch; 16-11-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A few thoughts.

I am saddened to read your story, but glad you felt you could share it with us.

I'm glad you look after your Mrs, if she appreciates what you do for her then that's all that matters. The others can get lost. Perhaps your example shows them up and their selfishness?

As for the carparking incident(s), people sure can get narky. How can anyone of us really know someone's situation and why they've got the "sticker"? I guess you just have to give people the benefit of the doubt and the Aussie Fair Go. There appears to be a lack of that going on round the place lately.

As for why people are angry?
I think that what most people are chasing today is pleasure and happiness, when what they actually need is joy. Happiness goes up and down with events, joy is stronger and deeper, and endures through tough times.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #23
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The last time I went out to summerset dam (QLD) it seemed that people were really impatient, like deliberately cutting in front of people learning to ski or cutting people off trying to leave shore. I don’t know why everyone is in such a rush to have a good time, kind of defeats the purpose, GK's words of wisdom seem to echo with truth.

That’s absolutely horrible for someone to do that to your wife mate, very sorry to hear these ningnongs are allowed to roam freely. Yes you may have been in the wrong, but it doesn't give anyone the right to fire up like that, maybe if you'd tried to beat him with a shovel and told him to f'off it'd be a different story, although you almost want to when confronted with people like that =P

All the best

Dan
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I too am saddened to hear your story Pinch, but chin up mate, you know you're doing the right thing by your wife and fellow man, and nothing that anyone can say or do to you will outweigh your desire to do the right thing.

I have an old friend who has the unfortunate condition of severe vertigo. If anyone isn't aware of what vertigo is, it's a result of complications of the balance mechanisms in the ear.My friend was taking some personal belongings to his wifes mum who was in hospital. After he got out of the car he relaised he forgot the stuff he was supposed to bring and proceeded to immediately turn around to go back and get it.

As sudden movements trigger this condition in his case, as he turned around quickly the condition kicked in and he was really dizzy, swaying around the place and could hardly stand up. Just then, some old cow who noticed him swaying around, pulled over and got out and started hurling abuse. She was saying stuff like "you disgraceful man being in such a state in the middle of the day" and "you should be ashamed of yourself" and "you're just lucky I wasn't a police officer as I would throw you in the slammer in a heart beat".

Now my mate is a wise old bloke who's been around a while, seen the world and most of whats in it. he's always been a thick skinned person, never taken stupid stuff to heart, and always ignored those who just arne't worth it. But after speaking to him about what happened, he was genuinely upset. He was not even in a state to defend himself.

Now, before any of you say he shouldn't be driving, well since that incident, he has seeked further medical observations and has voluntarily given his licence up until his condition can be improved or irradicated completely.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Not to channel Kamahl anything, but yesterday I, along with just about every other boatie in or around the Shire descended on the few boats ramps.

I got there early, and having a yacht, did a simple launch then took her up river, away from the ramp and wharf to put the mast and other rigging up – out of everyone’s way.

My wife, who some of the regular players here might know, almost died in August and is recovering from a series of operations. Miraculously she will be fine, and she was up to getting out of the house and out on the boat for a bit of R & R. She managed to drive down to the ramp herself later in the morning when I had it all ready. I was anchored away from the beach (leaving it and the wharf to all the other people trying to get their boats in). She stopped at the very back of an empty 4 rig long boat wash bay (the last of which has an inoperative tap anyway). She had to stop here as the two disabled spots were taken by cars with no MPS passes (she has a temporary one for obvious reasons). She was well out of the way of anyone, and just stepped out of the car to let me know to come to the wharf and pick her up. I was then going quickly to take her car back up a very steep hill as there was no parking left anywhere close by, and race back down. About 5 mins in total and a fraction of what others were doing holding up car bays, wharves and beaches for. But I digress.

Some guy then proceeded to absolutely tear shreds off her, calling her names, and demanding she move her car now. Tough guy, picking on a small, young woman. Real hero. When she politely explained that she was waiting for me to get her on the boat and then move her car straight away, he demanded to know ‘what was wrong with her that she couldn’t park it herself’. So she replied that it was none of his business, but she was just out of major surgery and couldn't walk 300m down a steep hill. He then carried on some more to himself.

Now I am the first to acknowledge that parking illegally and just not giving a toss about other is a big problem. Hence my going out of the way to be out of everyone else’s that morning as we are considerate. To be so aggro in the morning, in front of your kids, over the an issue of 2 mins (the other 3 was me running the car up the hill) when not in anyone’s way, or in a No Stopping area, is completely over the top. She was in tears for the next half hour and it ruined the best part of the morning.

It was the same when I was really sick in 2004. I had 10 operations (yes, we have been a bit unlucky) and required an MPS pass for me on my then new XR6 (which I bought to cheer me up a bit, and I needed an auto). I was under 30, driving the XR6 and needed to use disabled spots, sometimes with a chair, and sometimes I could just manage about 50m without. I was hassled EVERYwhere. People yelled at me, called me the most worst profanities, spat on me, called the Police on me, someone keyed the car, abusive notes were left. Sometimes right next to the clearly valid MPS pass. I took to turning it over and displaying my photo (which is supposed to face dash down for personal security - and only shown to authorised inspectors on request). I forwent this security and left the photo up to show it was for me, yet all that achieved was a move to berate me for ‘bludging’ the system. It was so much for me that it really worsened my severe depression over everything else, and led me to being a recluse. I even missed medical appointments (which I was only really going out for). I just couldn’t be independent and live a normal life, as anyone who has been long term ill will sympathise with.

Go Australia. Kicking people when they are down is awesome, get on the train!!! Look, I believe everyone should be considerate of others and not park where they are not supposed to. But to attack people over such non or legitimate issues just shows who were the schoolyard bullies earlier in life, who have not outgrown it, and who have a void of meaning elsewhere in their lives.

What is the harm in politely pointing out not to park there, to move if you are in someone’s way, or asking if someone is alright?

Someone in a car came and parked next to me in a boat and trailer only spot as I was leaving later that day. I politely told them that the rangers were around booking cars without trailers so parked (which they were). She thanked me as hadn’t seen the sign and was happy to have avoided the potential for a fine and moved the car. Job done, and she wasn’t in tears for the next half hour. Gave me another wave as I left too.

Why are we all so angry all of a sudden, all the time?
You should have busted out your 9 and put a cap in him.

Seriously though, I have been wondering myself lately why people all over the place are getting more angrier than usual. It could just be part and parcel living in an evolving big city, lots of uptights around, but...I dunno. Something isn't right.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
As for why people are angry?
I think that what most people are chasing today is pleasure and happiness, when what they actually need is joy. Happiness goes up and down with events, joy is stronger and deeper, and endures through tough times.
The strength of the Lord has brought you wisdom.
Old 18-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #27
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

Easier than all the hassle of being polite, giving a toss, having a conscience and making friends. Sad isn't it.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #28
Trek
Blue blooded

And just as I wanted to turn off, indicating, gradually slowing down and moving right across into the turnoff section down a highway, I was given the one finger salute by a VR/VS commonwhore driver right across to my side, nearly writing himself off, as well as his car for what I believe was going too slow for his likes, despite actually going the speed limit right up until near where I needed to turn. Of course, I had to be in the right hand lane, but oh no, the right hand lane is for those that always want to speed and those that wish to turn off are not allowed to these days Weirdo

My guess was he was also tailgating behind the car that was also directly behind me and thus became frustrated by this just because he wanted to speed. Because going 80 isn't fast enough.

Some people eh. Abiding by the law is apparently wrong...
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #29
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what can i say "COMMODORE DRIVER",any one with IQ LESS THAN 2 qualifies to drive COMMODORE !!!!!!,got overtaken on outback highway in my truck (wet road),doing 95 in 100 zone)fully loaded, 8 th car behind me(COMMODORE DRIVER) pulls out to overtake all of us but didnt see car behind me pull out till last second , so here we are 3 abrest on outback highway,COMMODORE DRIVERS,right side wheels on dirt at speeds(would have to be doin 150+kph)one false move from any of us and there would have been carnage for sure ,ALL FOR THE SAKE OF A FEW SECONDS
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #30
bingoTE50
Steve

Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.
Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. The dark side.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
The dark side is quicker, easier, more seductive.
Your ally is the Force. A powerful ally it is.
Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past. Old friends long gone.
You must learn control. :

Wise words from that great jedi ..Yoda
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post