Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
BLKWDW

Default Buying an explorer

Hey all i'm just after some opinions on a ford explorer. Just found out my wife is 3 weeks pregnant so will need to upgrade our commodore to something to seat 6. I already have a 60 series cruiser so dont really want a 4wd persay as it will not be going off road.
Been looking at an 02-05 explorer as they seem pretty car like compared to cruisers and the like plus i love the american styling of a big suv as well. Are the any inherint problems with these cars that i should be worried about or look for? I'm not to worried bout fuel economy as it will be lucky to drive 100km a week unless we go away.
i've been told buy a few people to stay away from them but figured i'd ask on here before turning a blind eye to them.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xsessi...3215500?ref=mf
Cheers Daz.
BLKWDW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Default Re: Buying an explorer

Explorers are a great family vehicle, but only if you are planing on towing or camping etc. (Even though I went with a Jeep!) If not their are many better choices around.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
BLKWDW

I dont plan on doing any camping or towing with it, as stated already i have a 60 series landcruiser for touring and weekend club runs. I already have 3 kids so with 1 more coming will need 6 and dont want a cruiser or patrol nore will the mrs have a van.

Cheers Daz.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate as good as the Explorer can be down here its not worth the fuss, you much better off finding a decent Territory and there are heaps around. It should be cheaper in the long run. You can always put it on LPG if it suits yoru needs.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Auslandau; 08-02-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
BLKWDW

Mrs doesnt want a territory as it was my 1st choice and since she'll be driving it 99% of the time i better keep her happy.

Cheers Daz.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a search on "stretched timing chains" and "Explorer parts prices" then see how you feel.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

An Explorer sounds useless for your needs...
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I agree its not the best financial choice thats for sure...you can get Territories pretty cheap, they have flooded the market.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biggest factor we found with new borns and cars - servicng location and frequency. Trust me your wife will hate you if she has to hand over her car to get serviced more than once per year. Plus the hassle of drop off / pick up of the "family car" and switching baby capsules across to a loaner car for the day while working around a babies timetable wears really thin really fast.

Buy something new or almost new which you can get serviced very close to home on a very infrequent basis.

Last edited by Spammy; 08-02-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWDW
Mrs doesnt want a territory as it was my 1st choice and since she'll be driving it 99% of the time i better keep her happy.
Why is the Mrs preferring the Explorer over a Territory? Looks? Have driven both and 1 is a 4X4 truck and the other is a car ........ guess which is which. Try and get her into an early GHIA. Might change her mind.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11356440
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11353268

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I am an owner and stripped the engine down and did the timing chains on a 98 Explorer V6 only. V8's are 5.0 Windsor EFI, generally rarer on the market.
V6 only, After 2003 they fixed the timing chain issue and the problem only existed in the automatics, parts are expensive, since the dollar is down Vs US dollar, it is cheaper to get parts from the US, however, if you need to buy parts from FORD US, you cant buy them directly, but I have found a way around that.
The earlier models had Torsion bar front suspension, something you dont normally see in Australia, well I havent, some people dont like it, but its just a case of do a nut up to adjust the ride height.
The other thing I did and it took time, money and an amount of R&D is, convert the viscous clutch radiator fan to electric fan, size is an issue and air flow matters.
This lightened the load on the engine and increased performance and decreased fuel consumption dramatically, maybe the clutch was on the way out, who knows.
I also converted the Throttle body from a 65 mm to 70 mm, this improved throttle response but needs a tune to optimise. The pre 2003 models only need say 100,000 Kms on them for timing chain issues, trans wear can be an issue also on the older models.
XLS models have all the electrics, seat, does just about everything electrically, cruise control not bad, Speedo accuracy is an issue, well in mine, and add on US correctors dont work that well.
Okay it's loaded with issues, but I like it, the high ride height is so cool in the seat .

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee a Territory sounds like the best vehicle out there for your needs (even if you don't want it)
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Territory would be much better in my opinion than an Explorer, for the reasons stated by others above.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't you think it's a bit of an overkill for a family hauler... What about Volvo V70 7 seater, Mercedes 300TE 7 seater or VX to VZ Berlina wagon with a 3rd row of seats?
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I've had this dilema - with 4 kids under 7...

Bought a 05 Territory Ghia AWD 7 seater, and have never looked back...

We will probably out grow it in the long term (the 3rd row of seats isn't really suited for adults or big teens) but that will be well down the track...

I looked at all of the alternatives, (Honda Odessey, Chrysler Voyager, Kia Carnival, etc etc) but the Terry was the winner.

It's easy to park (its actually shorter than a Falcon from memory) and its cheap enough to run (compared to big 4wd) and that I6 has been around since forever so any issues are easily fixed...

My mate just sold his 2 owner 2003 Explorer (on ebay) on Sunday night for $6100 and it was a good car - but it was only a 5 seater (though you can retro-fit the extra seats)... inside it seemed larger than a terry, but it also felt much larger than the terry to drive (probably similar to your l/cruiser) and was pretty heavy on fuel (she's a heavy car)...

I know this is a Ford/biased forum of course... but the terry is hard to beat!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
Paul-80
Missing his AU Ute

My buddy sold his Explorer and got a new diesel Terry.
The transmission on the explorer was about to cost him big time.

I'd much rather be siting in his Terry then the Explorer.

Personally, I always questioned where the Explorer really fitted into the Australian market.
Paul-80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
BLKWDW

Thanks for the input everyone looks like i'll be giving it a miss. Narrowed it down really to a territory, cruiser or patrol. Told the mrs she is pretty limited on what to buy in our price range so she is gona have to find what she likes outa them 3 unless there is something else someone can suggest. 15k is price range.

Cheers Daz.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Yep I am an owner and stripped the engine down and did the timing chains on a 98 Explorer V6 only. V8's are 5.0 Windsor EFI, generally rarer on the market.
V6 only, After 2003 they fixed the timing chain issue and the problem only existed in the automatics, parts are expensive, since the dollar is down Vs US dollar, it is cheaper to get parts from the US, however, if you need to buy parts from FORD US, you cant buy them directly, but I have found a way around that.
The earlier models had Torsion bar front suspension, something you dont normally see in Australia, well I havent, some people dont like it, but its just a case of do a nut up to adjust the ride height.
The other thing I did and it took time, money and an amount of R&D is, convert the viscous clutch radiator fan to electric fan, size is an issue and air flow matters.
This lightened the load on the engine and increased performance and decreased fuel consumption dramatically, maybe the clutch was on the way out, who knows.
I also converted the Throttle body from a 65 mm to 70 mm, this improved throttle response but needs a tune to optimise. The pre 2003 models only need say 100,000 Kms on them for timing chain issues, trans wear can be an issue also on the older models.
XLS models have all the electrics, seat, does just about everything electrically, cruise control not bad, Speedo accuracy is an issue, well in mine, and add on US correctors dont work that well.
Okay it's loaded with issues, but I like it, the high ride height is so cool in the seat .
we had torsion bar front suspension in the old valiants from the day they started till the day of their demise,you could also do the height change with a bolt adjust on the lower control arm from memory.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Many modern light trucks have torsion front suspension too..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
lamborghinifan

I was tossing between the two, terry and explorer v8, and from memory the I6 put out more power than the explorer v8 with expensive parts and other issues to boot, so i've ruled it out ever since!
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

With the Territory, my suggestion would be to stick with the 4 speed, for reasons of cheaper replacement and servicing. It certainly would seem to suit your needs better. (Particularly with the servicing dollars.)
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But would his Mrs. be happy with a 4-spd since this car would be for her?
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
morziac

ive had an 03 explorer for the last couple of years and have had very minimal trouble with it and have found that almost all parts can be sourced from the states with ease.
morziac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 ? missus gets a big 4x4 and you get a performance 4x4??? both get what you want!!
Old 20-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most of us with Terris cant get the missus out of them they love them so much
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
jixel 78

They arent called `Exploders` for nothing. Shocking, shocking vehicles. How the yanks bought so many is a mystery.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #27
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually they were called "Exploders" due to the Firestone Tyres failing, nothing to do with the 4WD itself.
They arent that bad to drive, like driving in a lounge chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
They arent called `Exploders` for nothing. Shocking, shocking vehicles. How the yanks bought so many is a mystery.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post