Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #1771
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I believe in the initial stages they went with isolating the vulnerable and letting it rip through the remaining population, then their health system realised it couldn't cope but it was too late to turn back.
Oh, you mean like some on here are suggesting Australia should do?

Yes, I believe they initially had the approach of trying to increase the chances of herd immunity however quickly realised that other countries weren't trying to stop the virus but allow the health systems to cope. Like you say, they are paying the price now.

Population size and density plays a big role too which is why London and New York for e.g.are high.
Old 17-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #1772
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai
Based on your graphs UK has 26.40 deaths per 100K population.

USA has 16.52 deaths per 100K population.

So the UK has some 60% higher death rate per 100K than USA, which is not doing so great itself.

This is a staggeringly horrific stat for the UK.
So, your question got me expanding my outlook to see how other countries have been faring using the same basis for calculation. The graphs below put the UK in the upper end for both measures but they are far from the worst.

.. and a comparison of the raw mortality rates - simply the percentage of reported cases that result in death

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #1773
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

For a minute there I thought I was in a Vfacts thread Russ with all those graphs you've provided, couldn't find Holden or Ford in the top 10 on any of them..
7 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #1774
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Population size and density plays a big role too which is why London and New York for e.g.are high.
And in our neck of the woods, Sydney/Melbourne, hence the higher numbers and as a result, tighter restrictions.
Old 17-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #1775
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Australia is the worlds Tasmania.
Oh.........Odd but intriguing analogy.. Maybe if you by some chance were right by that message we'd do well then to think of my point then on being a lot more self sufficient wherever possible like we used to be . Even Tassie would gain from that applying your definition... Eh !!!!!!

To my knowledge the Chinese Government has yet to take a proper world citizen leading role in this crisis other than acknowledgement of their own cases existing . They haven't and won't ever take most of the responsibility for the monumental mess they've caused like they should . Typical , all they're doing is deflecting and blaming and clouding the causes .

i genuinely feel sorry for hundreds of millions of Chinese that need to have to run or buy from wet markets , live animal sales and such while high end Chinese become very rich . I wonder what Chairman Mao would think of modern Communist China if he was still around ?. China seems to be as much capitalist as any these days or at least at huge compromise to the Communist ideals they used to espouse in the Little Red Book .

Last edited by roddy1960; 17-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #1776
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Oh.........Odd but intriguing analogy.. Maybe if you by some chance were right by that message we'd do well then to think of my point then on being a lot more self sufficient wherever possible like we used to be . Even Tassie would gain from that applying your definition... Eh !!!!!!

To my knowledge the Chinese Government has yet to take a proper world citizen leading role in this crisis other than acknowledgement of their own cases existing . They haven't and won't ever take most of the responsibility for the monumental mess they've caused like they should . Typical , all they're doing is deflecting and blaming and clouding the causes .

i genuinely feel sorry for hundreds of millions of Chinese that need to have to run or buy from wet markets , live animal sales and such while high end Chinese become very rich . I wonder what Chairman Mao would think of modern Communist China if he was still around ?. China seems to be as much capitalist as any these days or at least at huge compromise to the Communist ideals they used to espouse in the Little Red Book .
It's sickening the way the world bows to China. No one wants to offend them. It's truly pathetic.

Trump is the only one with the balls to do it, cause he knows China needs the US more than they need China. Just look at the trade differences between them. The US has the upper hand in a big way. That's why he started the trade war, knowing it would hurt China more than it would the US. China ended up bending the knee too.
Old 17-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #1777
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's sickening the way the world bows to China. No one wants to offend them. It's truly pathetic.

Trump is the only one with the balls to do it, cause he knows China needs the US more than they need China. Just look at the trade differences between them. The US has the upper hand in a big way. That's why he started the trade war, knowing it would hurt China more than it would the US. China ended up bending the knee too.
Not a massive fan of Trump in general terms but I have to agree with you on the trade situation definitely . He's certainly made some good points in that regard .
Old 17-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #1778
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Sometimes I really wonder. No-one is happy with the level of debt that is being engendered by this or the broader ramifications of that debt but please tell us, oh wise one, what you would have done differently?
Killed multiculturalism stone dead, 40 - 50 years ago...
Old 17-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #1779
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m wondering that too. Are some genotypes more susceptible? Is their overall level of personal health, more precipitous?

The alleged omission of nursing home fatalities is potentially a further uptick in total deaths they’ve logged.
Maybe because they are coming out of the winter/spring flu season whereas we are getting towards the colder seasons
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #1780
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Killed multiculturalism stone dead, 40 - 50 years ago...
Great idea, then you could have spent the last 40-50 years deporting everyone back to their county of heritage and left it alone for the indigenous tribes to look after it, ban any outsiders from coming in. Doubt there is many cases of covid amongst the Sentinelese people. Problem solved.
Old 17-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #1781
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Previously I mentioned that I thought this thread had a decent signal to noise ratio and levels of respect. The marshall forum obviously isn't an automotive thread, it's guitar amplifiers. Their covid thread became the longest thread ever on that forum the other day, and obviously not on topic to boot. Read it if you dare...243 pages and counting...

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads...thread.111425/
Old 17-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #1782
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Previously I mentioned that I thought this thread had a decent signal to noise ratio and levels of respect. The marshall forum obviously isn't an automotive thread, it's guitar amplifiers. Their covid thread became the longest thread ever on that forum the other day, and obviously not on topic to boot. Read it if you dare...243 pages and counting...

Geez...I know we've been doing a lot of drum beating on this stuff between us , they've been strumming along big time obviously, now all we need is another forum to blow their own trumpet and there will be a band .

I know it gets a bit willing at times especially when you have emotive topics like this but it kind of allows some to get things off their chest and is an outlet to put stuff out there. I know our moderators will be watching it all closely so that it doesn't get too willing and personal but robust discussion sometimes (within bounds of course) can be a help I think . Obviously it's the hottest of topics on forums other than ours .

Last edited by roddy1960; 17-04-2020 at 03:21 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #1783
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Save anyone from what, a bunch of bogans in Everlast singlets flexing the only guns they possess...lol
This isn't 'Murica, Aussies don't do jack **** but bitch and whinge on social media forums, but im sure they'd be naïve enough to think if they keep it up long enough it'll get noticed.
I love it how people with no rational argument go straight for personal abuse. calling people names isn't clever.

Save me and people like me from the virus. Oh they don't do anything just whinge ? Then how do you explain the queues at kmart and bunnings, the hoards of dirt bike riders not getting busted atm ? and the armies of people not distancing in all sorts of places ?

There is already an army of people not obeying the rules. Some are getting fined most the police can't get. Only this isn't like house and car theft, drink driving or whatever. It's a contagious disease. You only need a % of people willingly disobeying for it to get out of hand. If the government keeps p'ing people off that % will grow.

But that's ok, if you get sick of having your head in the sand there are other places you can put it.

I am astounded some of you are so ready to dismiss other people's circumstances (f all of you I'm alright), and that you think it is such an unreasonable imposition on the various governments to provide binding clarification on their directive.

I have never suggested it be abandoned, I never suggested it had to be perfect. I suggested it be improved, but clearly from your position atop your soapboxes I am being unreasonable...
Old 17-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #1784
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The State Government and Victoria Police need to do better, its not a case of needing more resources, its a case of using the existing resources you have more efficiently.
I snipped your post for brevity, but I agree absolutely with everything you said. It's pretty much exactly what I've been trying to explain.

In victoria the media lit up and the government did something. Here in queensland the fines rate is almost as high, just as stupid but our media aren't saying anything so nothing is being done.

I have heard they are even now complaining about people doing ore than one shop a week, but when you get to teh supermarket half the stuff is missing and lots more is limited purchase to 1 or 2 items HTF are you supposed to keep a family fed ??

But don't worry you can still get a haircut and take the kids to kmart...
Old 17-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #1785
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

Interesting article highlighted a few pages back from the last.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...__ffn_sectitle

I won’t be able to pretend to be able to interpret all of that, but seems well in line with the results of the limited trials against Covid 19, interestingly the MSM articles seem to suggest its lack of effectiveness.
Old 17-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #1786
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
Here’s an article from a SMH journalist based in the UK who contracted the virus. The causes are their initial response, low testing and overloaded hospitals.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...15-p54juk.html
And lots of people saw this result the minute they announced they were going herd. It was a really really bad decision and although they reversed it fairly quick teh damage was done, just too late..
Old 17-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #1787
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
A couple more graphs. These are based on the percentages of the adult population and show the case rates and mortality rates per 100,000 adults for Australia, NZ, UK and USA.

Notable that the case rates see Australia and NZ very similar and about par with the global rate while the mortality rates for those two countries are well below the global rate.

I find these graphs really interesting ,but theyre only as good as the accuracy of the content eg the UK is only counting the deaths that happen in hospital ....which would be most cases but still not accurate

was listening to some expert that does modelling on statistics etc and he said that what went on in Wuhan modelled in the least possible way the death rate and infection rate would be at least three times whats reported

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 17-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #1788
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I love it how people with no rational argument go straight for personal abuse. calling people names isn't clever.
Lol, wouldn't it only be personal abuse if you own an Everlast singlet?

Its Australia, we're all bogans of some sort, and I stand by what I said.
Old 17-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #1789
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Interesting article highlighted a few pages back from the last.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...__ffn_sectitle

I won’t be able to pretend to be able to interpret all of that, but seems well in line with the results of the limited trials against Covid 19, interestingly the MSM articles seem to suggest its lack of effectiveness.
Here is a well educated and rational person presenting about treatments including that one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...tment/12151770
Old 17-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #1790
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Great idea, then you could have spent the last 40-50 years deporting everyone back to their county of heritage and left it alone for the indigenous tribes to look after it, ban any outsiders from coming in. Doubt there is many cases of covid amongst the Sentinelese people. Problem solved.
Unless you blindly accept the hard line opinion of the Sydney Uni anthropology school you'd be deporting the so called "aborigines" as well. You'd be left with the ghosts of the people they displaced thousands of years ago...

But I guess no one has told you there was more than one migration into Australia pre Britain ? maybe no one has told you there were pygmies in the daintree until the 60's ? Afterall if the Aboriginies aren't the first people, just another wave of invaders, that kinda wrecks their guilt based political platforms doesn't it ?
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #1791
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Here is a well educated and rational person presenting about treatments including that one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...tment/12151770
Decent little review piece, excellent that there appears to be multiple options on the horizon, will be interesting to see what the testing data reveals once the trials are finished.

Realistically with the borders remaining shut for an ongoing period of time, a drug like these anti virals could truely remove the virus from the community.
Old 17-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #1792
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Unless you blindly accept the hard line opinion of the Sydney Uni anthropology school you'd be deporting the so called "aborigines" as well. You'd be left with the ghosts of the people they displaced thousands of years ago...

But I guess no one has told you there was more than one migration into Australia pre Britain ? maybe no one has told you there were pygmies in the daintree until the 60's ? Afterall if the Aboriginies aren't the first people, just another wave of invaders, that kinda wrecks their guilt based political platforms doesn't it ?
I think the point he was making is that it is kind of ironic for a relatively new arrival to the country (bringing with them their culture) has decided that we should stop importing new cultures, that don't align with him.
Old 17-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #1793
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog
I find these graphs really interesting ,but theyre only as good as the accuracy of the content eg the UK is only counting the deaths that happen in hospital ....which would be most cases but still not accurate
I'm not arguing on that score and have happily admitted that the graphs are based on the data sets currently available which we know includes the (at best) 'fanciful' Chinese ones, the 'let's not count the old folk if they die in an aged care facility' UK ones and the countries that don't really count them at all.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #1794
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Lol, wouldn't it only be personal abuse if you own an Everlast singlet?

Its Australia, we're all bogans of some sort, and I stand by what I said.
Complete and unashamed, unapologetic bogan here! Of course, one can't be a REAL bogan if one is not wearing this fashion accessory...

IMAG0393.jpg
6 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #1795
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

At least 3 migrations dating back approx. 40,000 years. About when homo sapien started dominating neanderthals. Where is the cut off point for migration, 20,000 years, 2000, 200?
Old 17-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #1796
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The message I’m getting from all this, is that Ford-driving Chinese pygmies who use Marshall amplifiers to enforce social distancing, are OK people.
7 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #1797
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Not if they are imported Fords.

2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #1798
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I think the point he was making is that it is kind of ironic for a relatively new arrival to the country (bringing with them their culture) has decided that we should stop importing new cultures, that don't align with him.

“... that don’t align with his.”

The use of the term ‘him’ is grammatically incorrect. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #1799
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We can all argue what we could have done or should be doing but I think for the time being we stay the course for a while yet.

For better or worse we are on this path we are now and despite some issues we are in a better position then a whole lot of countries. Some of that is luck due to being an island on the **** end of the world but not all of it is.

The results are showing promise and last thing I would want to do is either lift the restrictions too early and certainly don't think there is justification for more.

It's all a **** sandwich but I reckon our bread is much thicker than elsewhere. The bread basically doesn't exist in UK and US at all.

There is a lot of legitimate criticism of the WHO and China, but a lot of it is just trying to shift the blame for lack of action. Particularly in the US.

Australia obviously had enough info and cause for alarm to declare it a pandemic and start preparing ahead of the WHO so other leaders could have too.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #1800
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread