Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Camry Hybrid Details

Toyota says its Australian-built hybrid uses less fuel than a city runabout.

Australia’s first locally made hybrid car, the Toyota Camry Hybrid, will use less fuel than most small cars and at least 35 per cent less than large car rivals.

With claimed average fuel consumption of 6.0 litres per 100km, the full-sized four-door sedan promises to save buyers who travel an average 20,000km a year at least $400 in fuel bills and the environment 1.4 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.

With fuel at $2 a litre those savings would jump to more than $600 a year, giving Toyota a clear marketing edge and helping justify the $7000 price premium over the cheapest four-cylinder Camry.

Describing the launch as “one of the most significant events in Toyota Australia’s 50-year history”, Toyota Australia senior executive director of sales and marketing David Buttner said the Camry Hybrid would change the shape of Australian-made large cars.

“The launch of the Hybrid Camry will spark a revolution in hybrid motoring,” said Buttner.

“It opened doors we did not know existed. This is not another Camry, this is a revolution in our thinking.”

Buttner said the Camry Hybrid was crucial to Toyota’s Australia’s future and pivotal to the brand’s quest to deliver a hybrid version of every model in its range by 2020 and at least 1 million hybrids around the world each year.

“We believe they are likely to form the core of the auto market in future.”

The Camry Hybrid will sell from $36,990, plus on-road costs, undercutting the base price of the entry-level Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore it will compete with.

Already proving popular with fleet buyers keen to sprout their green image, more than 1000 Camry Hybrids have been ordered.

Based on a regular Camry, the Camry Hybrid teams a generator and electric drive motor with a 2.4-litre four-cylinder, delivering six-cylinder performance with economy better than most four-cylinders.

The electric motor blend with the 110kW petrol engine to deliver a combined total output of 140kW. Toyota says the improved mid-range response of the engine delivers performance not far off some six-cylinders.

It drives through a continuously variable transmission with an infinite number of ratios, giving seamless acceleration.

The 6.0L/100km fuel figures is less than the most economical small car on the market, Volkswagen’s entry-level Golf and better than many light cars, such as Toyota’s own Yaris and rivals from Mazda and Hyundai.

Like the Hybrid Camry that’s already built in three other factories and found 180,000 homes around the world, the Australian Camry Hybrid gets a unique front bumper and a flat floor to improve airflow under the car.

The Camry Hybrid looks almost identical to the regular Camry, but with a new grille, blue-tinged headlights and the obligatory hybrid badges.

Other fuel saving changes include an electric power steering system.

Inside, there’s a unique instrument cluster that details the operation of the hybrid system. Blue-tinged lights (Toyota calls them octopus rings) circling the main dials in the instrument cluster change from light blue to deep blue depending on how economically the car is being driven.

The boot of the Camry Hybrid is slightly smaller due to placement of a large 244 battery cell, but Toyota has managed to maintain a full-sized spare tyre and a small load through hole for longer items.

Chief engineer Yukihiro Okane says the Camry Hybrid can carry four golf bags.

The Camry Hybrid will be available in two trim levels; an entry level model and a better equipped Luxury variant costing $39,990, with the latter getting powered leather seats, rain sensing wipers and a rear spoiler.

Toyota says tweaks to the Hybrid Camry’s suspension means it is more agile and has a better ride than the regular Camry.

The cheapest model gets six airbags, stability control, a reversing camera, parking sensors, cruise control and electric air-conditioning. Bluetooth and satellite navigation are available in an optional pack that costs $3000. A similar pack for the luxury model costs $4500 and includes a sunroof.

Toyota dismisses claims it is asking a $7000 premium for the hybrid technology. It says the hybrid model has similar features to the more upmarket Camry Ateva, which costs $32,490. The company says that when the extra equipment in the Camry hybrid is taken into account, the premium for the electric motor is just $2000.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder how it would compare to an egas falcon annual costings serviceing and parts included? then say at the end of 5 years,10 years etc, its a full size car can you tow with it? would you?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i wonder how it would compare to an egas falcon annual costings serviceing and parts included? then say at the end of 5 years,10 years etc, its a full size car can you tow with it? would you?
Who tows with a gas falcon these days?
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with issues of low distance to empty in electric vehicles, i'd be cautious about adding power-everything (like steering, windows & seats). the less power you use, the further you can go in electric only mode.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Kryton

WOW - a whole $400 a YEAR in fuel savings.
I can finally do that round the world trip now.

For less than $10000 (if you were buying purely to use as a run about to save fuel), you could get yourself a Diesel Peugeot that is a few years older with fuel economy ranging from 4l - 5.6l per hundred Km.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I do. Only tow car I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you could get yourself a Diesel Peugeot that is a few years older with fuel economy ranging from 4l - 5.6l per hundred Km.
Yep, I'll stick with our 2.0L HDi Peugeot 307 wagon which returns 6.0L/100kms. Diesel is even cheaper than petrol at the moment, so we're winning out at the pump too! Mind you, on a fuel cost comparison, the 2.0L HDi is about the same cost per km as the 4.0L I6 on LPG, so I think I'll stick with either my LPG Falcon's or small turbo diesel's thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
local council has gas utes, my mate has a gas wagon , i would if my limo had gas.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
barra265t
Banned

'Toyota says its Australian-built hybrid uses less fuel than a city runabout...'
Errr..? *Checks website title again to see if he is on toyotacamryforums by mistake* :
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
'Toyota says its Australian-built hybrid uses less fuel than a city runabout...'
Errr..? *Checks website title again to see if he is on toyotacamryforums by mistake* :

Whats your point?
Are you that one eyed you cant take an interest in anything else?
If you are, this isnt the place for you.
any GENUINE enthusiast will have an interest in ALL FORMS of motor vehicles, not just the brand he drives. :togo:
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Whats your point?
Are you that one eyed you cant take an interest in anything else?
If you are, this isnt the place for you.
any GENUINE enthusiast will have an interest in ALL FORMS of motor vehicles, not just the brand he drives. :togo:
: No offence and have nothing against Toyota vehicles. Just Toyota Camry Hybrid, these 3 words in one sentence is not exactly a car an ENTHUSIAST would drive around in unless absolutely forced to. All that comes to mind is Greenies and Environmentalists and Politicians. Lexus Hybrid, on the other hand, is a car an ENTHUSIAST would consider driving .

http://www.lexus.com.au/model/ls600hl/

"It is the world's first V8 hybrid AWD luxury car. Equipped with the most powerful Lexus Hybrid Drive system to date, the LS 600hL delivers the performance of a 6.0 litre engine yet the economy and emissions of more modest vehicles. Its portfolio of world firsts include an Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (E–CVT) with an intelligent constant AWD system. High technology meshes with hand craftsmanship in a cabin made more spacious by the long wheelbase. Immerse yourself in the comfort of a rear seat complete with reclining ottoman seat and Shiatsu massage system. The LS 600hL promises to redirect the future of performance luxury cars.

Lexus Australia is pleased to announce that the HV (Hybrid) Battery Warranty coverage on Lexus Hybrid vehicles has been extended from 5 years / 100,000 kilometres to 8 years / 160,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first). This extended warranty coverage will also apply retrospectively to all Lexus Hybrid vehicles sold by Lexus Australia since introduction in 2006. Owners should contact their Lexus Dealer to activate this retrospective warranty."

Now this, is pure enthusiast material

Last edited by barra265t; 09-02-2010 at 08:02 PM.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

It's ok, 8,000,000 vehicles to recall will keep them busy. No Toyo take over of FFA for the short term......

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
+1 Why wouldn't you ?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
351capri
windsorman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
+1 Why wouldn't you ?
++1 tow with my egas ute all the time, tows racecar beautifully :
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

And a set of batteries costs....

Rumours are thousands at about 80,000km, I heard thats the going rate for a Prius. Can anyone confirm of deny??

This would alter the "whole of life cost" dramatically, even if the normal 3 year fleet wasn't affected, resale would be. And 3rd owners would be non existent.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

So its $7000 more then a bsae model camry. You save $400 a year, It will pay back the difference in only 17.5years. Take into account batteries and being a new model where things are bound to go wrong, and you have yourself a bargain....
Old 10-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

Rumours are thousands at about 80,000km, I heard thats the going rate for a Prius. Can anyone confirm of deny??

This would alter the "whole of life cost" dramatically, even if the normal 3 year fleet wasn't affected, resale would be. And 3rd owners would be non existent.
I do wonder the environmental effects of both the manufacture and disposal of these batteries. Considering also the number of these hybrids worldwide.

I would hate to be one of the first buyers of the Camry hybrid, the problems that would most likely to be encountered, like when the Prius first arrived. Certainly looks like these first cars are being heavily subsidised by Toyota with the price quoted.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks

There apparantly been only a couple of cases of batteries being replaced in Australia and those were high-mileage taxis. And in those cases Toyota paid for the replacement.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Oh dear.. $400 saving over a year... What about all the money the government put towards it. Can they not add up these guys?? I think they put $35 mill towards it but cannot remember exactly.

Words cannot describe how I feel about this car... The governments fleets will be all over it tho, going greener and buying local.. glad i dont work for the government. :
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Sif the normal Camry wasn't boring enough!!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
There apparantly been only a couple of cases of batteries being replaced in Australia and those were high-mileage taxis. And in those cases Toyota paid for the replacement.
As much as I'd love to bag Priuses (and they seem like awful cars), the reliability seems to be good - They've been using them as taxis in Darwin for 4+ years now, regularly travel in 400,000k old ones and the drivers say they only need basic servicing.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I'm off to Sydney tomorrow for the launch of the thing to Toyota Sales Staff.

Shall post my opinions, though the other blokes at work who went on Tuesday said it was a pleasant car to drive.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #22
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
So its $7000 more then a bsae model camry. You save $400 a year, It will pay back the difference in only 17.5years. Take into account batteries and being a new model where things are bound to go wrong, and you have yourself a bargain....
But its specifications are not the same as the base model so that comparison is a little skewed. When compared to the appropriate model the pay back period is closer to 5 years. One would also assume that it will have better resale than the regular petrol model so the that 5 years closes up further.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Oh dear.. $400 saving over a year... What about all the money the government put towards it. Can they not add up these guys?? I think they put $35 mill towards it but cannot remember exactly.

Words cannot describe how I feel about this car... The governments fleets will be all over it tho, going greener and buying local.. glad i dont work for the government. :
We could be hopeful. I hope the Government cars get the sticky accelerator pedal. Be nice to see the Polies do something positive for the country for change.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #24
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
But its specifications are not the same as the base model so that comparison is a little skewed. When compared to the appropriate model the pay back period is closer to 5 years. One would also assume that it will have better resale than the regular petrol model so the that 5 years closes up further.
Time will tell if the resale is all that good, when a high cost battery change is just around the corner for the new proud owner of that ex-fleet govt car. I predict they will have a low % resale value.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #25
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

All this talk about a high cost replacement for battery.

Show me some evidence of an Australian delivered Toyota hybrid vehicle requiring a replacement battery with less than 300,000km on it that would be relative to a big percentage of total cars delivered then we'll talk about it having a negative impact on the vehicles cost over life report.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
bingoTE50
Steve

110 kw petrol engine and 30kw electric - total of 140kw.
So realistically the engine has probably been the biggest impactor on the fuel economy.
What is the std 2.4 @125kw ...so have they re-calibrated it to run leaner or revised a few things. The elctric motor must add some boost on higher load situations like taking off and then the petrol can keep thing moving.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #27
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
So realistically the engine has probably been the biggest impactor on the fuel economy.
What is the std 2.4 @125kw ...so have they re-calibrated it to run leaner or revised a few things. The elctric motor must add some boost on higher load situations like taking off and then the petrol can keep thing moving.
They run an Atkinson cycle in hybrid drive trains, thus the different output.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
On full power, it drives off like a good V6 but under light throttle
and less than about 40 kph, the electric motor does all the work.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #29
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The launch is happening @ my work..

Pretty funny watching a hybrid camry go on a small skidpan
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #30
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent value! the top of the line Hybrid Camry Luxury, with leather, push button start, sat nav, elec seats, optitron instruments, rear view camera..etc is cheaper than a Falcon XT
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post