Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default One more user curious about thread closures

I sometimes find it odd that certain threads which almost immediately turn into a political topic are allowed to run (with mods commenting on the topic and not actually locking the thread) for so long, yet other innocent threads get locked because the "topic" isnt suitable in The Bar (despite the thread not actually breaking any of the rules of the forum) or because the topic has been done to death??

In almost all these types of threads which are border line political, plenty of politcal references are made (usually poor ones, or ones just hurling abuse about a particular party etc etc)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Yeah, some times I wonder why a thread get's closed. Some of them are quite interesting. Most of the reasons giving are it's not suitable for a car forum, but the bar is for non-automotive chat, so I don't really see the logic.
While I agree some threads are crap, that's my opinion on the topic, I'm sure someone, the OPatleast, finds it of some interest.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some are the just same thing over and over again whereas others have no positive contribution to discussion regardless of the topic.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Some are the just same thing over and over again whereas others have no positive contribution to discussion regardless of the topic.
Yeah fair enough. Sometimes though I just can't help but think the Mod only closed it because they didn't like the topic. Not having a dig at the mods, they do their jobs and do it well, just an observation.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

It may seem like that but what you probably do not realise is that topic has often been discussed a few times before and each time it has gone pear shaped. On those occasions the mods try to save it by cleaning it up but it just goes bad again. It ends up getting to the point where it is more effective use of the moderators valuable time to just lock it down instead of letting it get out of control like we all know it is going to.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Yeah fair enough. Sometimes though I just can't help but think the Mod only closed it because they didn't like the topic. Not having a dig at the mods, they do their jobs and do it well, just an observation.
Remember AFF is nearly 6 years old and before that many of us were on ff.septic so a lot of things have proven to just light blue touch paper.

Anyway back to my "What supercharger should I fit to my T3 BOSS conversion so I can outrun the police on my P plates?" thread.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Anyway back to my "What supercharger should I fit to my T3 BOSS conversion so I can outrun the police on my P plates?" thread.
Awesome, I've been waiting for another one of those threads!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
buggo
[BU66OS]

Yeah I see where you are coming from. Experience comes with time, I still have lots more to see.
About the T3, why not a barra turbo conversion? ;)

BA XR8 Manual
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Yeah I see where you are coming from. Experience comes with time, I still have lots more to see.
About the T3, why not a barra turbo conversion? ;)

AAAAHHHHH, run for cover
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'm going to say the one word that answers your question Jim.

"Discretion"
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I'm going to say the one word that answers your question Jim.

"Discretion"

I undertsand discretion, however i dont understand when sometime a thread is flamed by a moderator, instead of being closed.

Maybe i need to spend more time in the shed on the XB.....

Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
In almost all these types of threads which are border line political .....
You answered yourself at the end ...... also comes down to what IGGY just said above ...... Discretion. Some just stand out as blatant political bashing while some can have a reasonable discussion. In the end thought it is still up to how a mod sees it heading. These types of threads are watched more closely and know the thread you are talking about.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, some times I wonder why a thread get's closed. Some of them are quite interesting. Most of the reasons giving are it's not suitable for a car forum, but the bar is for non-automotive chat, so I don't really see the logic.
While I agree some threads are crap, that's my opinion on the topic, I'm sure someone, the OPatleast, finds it of some interest.
Wait until you have been here a while and you will see some issues, same topics rehashed
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funnily enough after 5 years here ive never seen a thread closed that i thought wouldnt end up getting locked!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I wasn't having a crack either Jim, it's just that the mods have a rough job and you can't clone one person with one mindset and have them all as mods; each person is different so they interpret the rules slightly differently and will either ban, warn, post delete or close where applicable. Sure it'll irritate some users but it's better than us turning into boostcruising, where moderating is as scarce as manners and grammar...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the prediction??!!! LOL
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313214

Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
AFF is first and foremost a car forum with Fords being the main topic of conversation ...... Just saying this as sometimes I think it gets lost on a few ..... Many threads in the Bar are tolerated and some are actually good discussions BUT threads on "What I had for breakfast ... " or pointless drivel is not conducive for what this site is about. Again it comes down to discretion and as I said, some topics are tolerated, some are good and some are just unnecessary. Again it is totally at the discretion of the mods or admin ...... some stay .... some go. If a thread gets closed no one should take it to heart and move on.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #20
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I predict it will be closed .... waa wha ..??
Now i need sat night lotto numbers ..x..
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #21
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I wasn't having a crack either Jim, it's just that the mods have a rough job and you can't clone one person with one mindset and have them all as mods; each person is different so they interpret the rules slightly differently and will either ban, warn, post delete or close where applicable. Sure it'll irritate some users but it's better than us turning into boostcruising, where moderating is as scarce as manners and grammar...

Yes i understand totally...

But what about this?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313111

The tittle in its self is inflamatory.... and has no real bearing on the trial, yet some of the responces are... well.... pointless.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

1. Discretion
2. It must be a topic worth discussing or it would have gone
3. It is not out of control with abusive posts
4. Yes the title is not entirely accurate but isn't causing a huge problem
5. Discretion

I do not agree with some closures and I have closed things that others have thought Huh? Thats the way personalities are and nothing can change that unless one person does the job ..... and sure as hell that wouldn't be me as a few thousand posts a week would send anyone stupid. Wouldn't change anything anyway as we all have our good and bad days .....

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Ah yes. Good example. It's a grey area. I have not bothered to read the thread, I'm sure there are some unsavory posts in it, if the mods have not yet closed it I'm
sure they must think it has some merit. Either that or they are too busy just now, and will see to it later. As I said it all boils down to discretion, but also comes down to whether or not the mods have time to attend to all incidents occurring on this forum! They all have jobs too(this is like a second job to some, almost seems like Russellw's first job!) and this all has to be taken into account. If one particular post, or user, is particularly annoying, alert a mod, he or she will likely fix the issue.
Naish.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

For people that question closed threads, start your own forum, put the time, money and effort in an then run it how you like.

Otherwise use the report button and move on.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

And once again moderation of the 'off topic' discussion area, comes up for complaint?
It is probably worth mentioning that Australian FORD Forums is aimed at discussions focused on FORD's.
The Bar area is definitely NOT the main focus area of the forums, regardless of what some members think. There are plenty of other forums on the internet, dedicated to whatever obscure topic you may wish to discuss. I wouldn't join a sewing forum, & complain about why they continually close my threads about what Mikhail Gorbachev thinks the best gasket material to use as a sump plug gasket for a Lada Grange is for example
There has (and always will be I suspect) an ongoing battle between those that want AFF BAR to be a completely open, 'free for all area' with zero moderation, and those that believe that the BAR area should actually be closed entirely, keeping AFF for discussing auto related issues only.
Of course most of the AFF membership are human with outside interests, and at least a partial desire to discuss issues other then strictly ford related issues. Hence the reason why a certain amount of 'topical' discussions in an off topic area such as the Bar area are allowed. The Bar area thread closures are 'discretionary', they are not, nor ever will be, the main driving force, behind AFF.
I think the real question that needs asking, is, what benefit(s), does allowing 'controversial' threads that are in no real way related to Australian Fords, that have been proven to cause arguments between members in the past(serve to throw other 'debates' into open warfare in other auto related parts of the forum) really serve???
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #26
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
I think the real question that needs asking, is, what benefit(s), does allowing 'controversial' threads that are in no real way related to Australian Fords, that have been proven to cause arguments between members in the past(serve to throw other 'debates' into open warfare in other auto related parts of the forum) really serve???
None at all and well said , begone with ye Bar ...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Well no. Not "begone bar" as we do all like a break once in a while, but "begone pointless political threads, police bashing threads, and pointless, mindless guff threads".
Game. Reinvented.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #28
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
"What I had for breakfast ... "

Out of curiosity what did you have for breakfast?

*prepares for banishment*

LOL
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313258

Er again... isnt this a political thread???

Still running free and wild....

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313258

Er again... isnt this a political thread???

Still running free and wild....
I agree with that, thread should be closed.