Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 12-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
thekovac
Starter Motor

Default Ford Festiva WD-WF Service Manuals - possible to find one?

Gday folks,

I've spent hours tonight trying to find a service manual for my missus WF 99 1.5L Festiva!!

I know it aint the most popular car anymore with more of them likely in the wreckers than on the road!!

It has the Mazda B5 16 valve 1.5L engine so I've tried to find a manual for any car with that engine and I still couldn't find anything

Anyone had luck finding one?

I basically need one to see what the manufacturer procedure is to replace the valve stem seals. My missus car sat around on a farm for a good year or more and looks like the seals are busted. I've done the job before but I was wondering if the head needs to come off to change the seals.

Can anyone help?

Thanks folks
thekovac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Ford Festiva WD-WF Service Manuals - possible to find one?

I gather you are referring to the workshop manual over the service/owners manual.

I have access to one and can copy the associated pages and attach to here. Just need a couple of days or so..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
thekovac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
I gather you are referring to the workshop manual over the service/owners manual.

I have access to one and can copy the associated pages and attach to here. Just need a couple of days or so..
Mate that would be amazing!!

Is it possible to buy a repair manual for these cars that doesnt cost the earth?

Wouldn't mind having one on hand as there's 3/5ths of bugger all info about these cars online.
Old 13-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekovac View Post
Mate that would be amazing!!

Is it possible to buy a repair manual for these cars that doesnt cost the earth?

Wouldn't mind having one on hand as there's 3/5ths of bugger all info about these cars online.
Here is a couple of pages from the manual. It says to take the head off, but by judging from the images, I would think you could do on car but you would need to pressurise the combustion chamber with air to hold up the valves one by one and you would need an on car valve compressor to remove the spring instead of the one shown which needs the head off to compress. You would obviously need to take off the rocker gear and possibly the cam as well to gain access.

As for the manuals 98 on models are a supplement to the WB manual, so depending on what sections you were after you may need a combination of both. Ill ask around to see what I can find and let you know.

Festiva Valve Seal.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Gday folks,

I've spent hours tonight trying to find a service manual for my missus WF 99 1.5L Festiva!!

I know it aint the most popular car anymore with more of them likely in the wreckers than on the road!!

It has the Mazda B5 16 valve 1.5L engine so I've tried to find a manual for any car with that engine and I still couldn't find anything

Anyone had luck finding one?

I basically need one to see what the manufacturer procedure is to replace the valve stem seals. My missus car sat around on a farm for a good year or more and looks like the seals are busted. I've done the job before but I was wondering if the head needs to come off to change the seals.

Can anyone help?

Thanks folks
I think you have the WD (97 model) not the WF? 16 valve engines were dropped in 98 and replaced with lower power 8 valve units.

Look almost identical bar some slight interior and rear light changes.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
thekovac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Here is a couple of pages from the manual. It says to take the head off, but by judging from the images, I would think you could do on car but you would need to pressurise the combustion chamber with air to hold up the valves one by one and you would need an on car valve compressor to remove the spring instead of the one shown which needs the head off to compress. You would obviously need to take off the rocker gear and possibly the cam as well to gain access.

As for the manuals 98 on models are a supplement to the WB manual, so depending on what sections you were after you may need a combination of both. Ill ask around to see what I can find and let you know.

Attachment 101943
Wow that's heaps helpful!

I was planning to use the old rope in the spark plug hole method to hold up the valves. Do you think it could work on this engine?

I banked on having to take off rocker and cam gear. Was planning to replace the timing belt, pulleys, rocker cover gasket and dizzy seal while I was at it, but was hoping to skip having to worry about removing the head which is a pain.

Is the "SST" tool some ford OEM tool?
Couldn't just use a good G clamp?
Old 13-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
thekovac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think you have the WD (97 model) not the WF? 16 valve engines were dropped in 98 and replaced with lower power 8 valve units.

Look almost identical bar some slight interior and rear light changes.
Sorry yes its a WF model - it has clear indicators and is a 1999 model GLXi auto.

I was under the impression its the more common B5 16v ME. Didn't realise the Bastards at ford/kia downgraded the engine to the 8v one. Was there problems with the 16v to justify fitting a lower power engine?
At least there's less seals to replace then!

There must be some confusion even between mechanics too. I've been trying to get to the bottom of why her car is very hard to start in the cold morning, blowing smoke even at warm idle, and also burning quite a bit of oil. Did compression test, came up 115-130 psi across the cyclinders (which isn't too bad for a 160,000km engine) but doesn't lead me to think head gasket or piston ring failure. Pulled out spark plugs to find nasty white burnt plugs - why? because someone fitted the 1.3L BP5EY plugs.

I'm certain that she's got busted stem seals though now. All the signs point to it.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Sorry yes its a WF model - it has clear indicators and is a 1999 model GLXi auto.

I was under the impression its the more common B5 16v ME. Didn't realise the Bastards at ford/kia downgraded the engine to the 8v one. Was there problems with the 16v to justify fitting a lower power engine?
At least there's less seals to replace then!

There must be some confusion even between mechanics too. I've been trying to get to the bottom of why her car is very hard to start in the cold morning, blowing smoke even at warm idle, and also burning quite a bit of oil. Did compression test, came up 115-130 psi across the cyclinders (which isn't too bad for a 160,000km engine) but doesn't lead me to think head gasket or piston ring failure. Pulled out spark plugs to find nasty white burnt plugs - why? because someone fitted the 1.3L BP5EY plugs.

I'm certain that she's got busted stem seals though now. All the signs point to it.
Probably cost cutting? The 99 model was the last one made so they probably just raided the parts bin.

The 16 valve engine did make the car much more responsive, I drove one and the difference was very noticeable - the trade off was that the lower spec engine used less fuel.

Having said that, the engines when treated right are bullet proof. Mine got to 206,000km with not a single issue (as new) till someone decided to drive into my font end and kill my perfectly good car.

Regarding starting, my Festiva would start within a 1/10 second of turning the key. Don't know how or why, but you could sneeze on the key and it would start.

Really miss that thing....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
thekovac
Starter Motor

Huge thanks to the two of you for your help! Extra special shout out to GTLEGEND who is what his name says; legend, and sent some photo copies of the pages I need.

The information about the 8v B5 engine in the WF festiva was helpful too.
I found a literal photo-copy (as in someone took photos of each page!) of a UK edition Haynes manual that included information about the 1.5L 8v B5 - albiet carby version. Turns out while I knew the b5 is a super common engine, I didn't realise the 8 valve EFI version only existed in the WF festiva, and the 8 valve carby version is fairly rare to find as well.

I actually went to a few local libraries to find service manuals as well, but the exact one I needed was on loan for 6 weeks!!

Changed the old valve stem seals and le old festiva is back in action with much less smoke and oil not being completely used up in less than 2000kms. I was able to do the job without taking the head off, but it took a good few hours of ****-farting around with a valve spring compressor and shoving 2m of rope into the combustion chamber.