Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #691
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Camping Thread

It does sound a bit ambiguous. The national parks near us have no dog policies unfortunately. They use baits for foxes too and lots of wildlife.

Our dogs are a no leash kind of dogs. We have a kelpie/heeler who needs space to explore and burn energy, and Labrador who follows along. Very friendly dogs unless is kangaroos or cats. We take them out usually to places where they don't need to be on leads all the time. Port Lincoln is fairly relaxed with dogs which is good - lots of people with dogs and lots of cattle breeds. When we camp the dogs usually disappear and reappear for food.

* Lots of good camping and fishing spots along this coastline for anyone interested

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2020, 12:09 AM   #692
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hey Sarge, we booked in to halls gap lakeside again today for July this year. Same area as last year. Lower section up the end looking out over the clearing.
Hey Rob!
Sorry, just saw this. Have been off the forums for a bit.

A glutton for punishment again hey! I see they've just finished updating the top amenities!
We probably won't get there this year with the whole situation. Also tight on money with running some small businesses now!
We recently spent a few nights down at Corny Point at the bottom of Yorkes. Great spot down there. Wasn't camping though.

Next trip might be to Lake Bonney these school holidays for a couple of nights.

I've got the Bathurst camp site booked for later in the year. Am just waiting to see how things pan out for that one at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #693
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Hey Rob!
Sorry, just saw this. Have been off the forums for a bit.
We postponed it until November due to covid. Should be better weather at least. Hopefully it will be ok by then but who knows.

Off back down to naracoorte in two weeks instead. Haven't had the van out since October last year so looking forward to it, even if it is the middle of winter.
Old 24-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #694
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're now looking to head to Port Elliott and stay at the Big4 park there for a few nights during the school holidays.
Powered site for $38 a night and kids stay free, so should be a nice, cheapish short getaway.
Old 24-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #695
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
We're now looking to head to Port Elliott and stay at the Big4 park there for a few nights during the school holidays.
Powered site for $38 a night and kids stay free, so should be a nice, cheapish short getaway.
such a great spot on the south coast, so much to do & see. Heading down that way in october.
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #696
prydey
Rob

Good bakery at pt elliot. The old small one, not the newer looking bigger place next door. Mind you, been a while since I've been there so my recollection of the area may be a bit off.
Old 25-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #697
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's apparently been big line ups to the Port Elliott bakery during these social distancing times.
We'll have to hit it on a week day when there are smaller crowds around
Old 25-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #698
prydey
Rob

Quote:
There's apparently been big line ups to the Port Elliott bakery during these social distancing times.
We'll have to hit it on a week day when there are smaller crowds around
Same with clarendon bakery. It's only because they are quite small inside. Mid week should be ok.
Old 27-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #699
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
such a great spot on the south coast, so much to do & see. Heading down that way in october.
Agreed, spent 2 weekends in a row in the Victor/Pt Elliot/Goolwa region in late Feb/March.
We stayed in the Victor beach front park and walked around Granite Island and town, caught the tram on another trip and the cockle train return from Goolwa with a look around the markets and finished off with an hours jet ski hire from Hindmarsh island.
Horse shoe bay was our family holiday destination in the late 70's, early 80's, camped in the park and wandered around the area all day, so safe and sheltered for kids, hasn't changed much really, just a few modern apartments along the foreshore.
I play lawn bowls and often go down for tournaments and its easily the most picturesque club in the state.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #700
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Good bakery at pt elliot. The old small one, not the newer looking bigger place next door. Mind you, been a while since I've been there so my recollection of the area may be a bit off.
they make of the best donuts you will ever eat. Daughter lives in Adel, and if she is heading down that way, usually once a month, gets a box of couple dozen made up and then freighted over to me..24 hours later..
Old 27-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #701
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
they make of the best donuts you will ever eat. Daughter lives in Adel, and if she is heading down that way, usually once a month, gets a box of couple dozen made up and then freighted over to me..24 hours later..
a lot of the regional towns have great bakeries. if i'm going through meadows i'll nearly always stop for some baked goodness. It'd be rude not to. Their honey logs are awesome. vanilla slice close to the best we've tried.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #702
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in Tanunda in the Barossa Valley. Tanunda Bakery. Apex Bakery. Enough said ;)
Both have contributed to the girth around my waist over the last 15 years we've been living here!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #703
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

As I live at Victor Harbor I can say the Pt Elliot bakery is good to visit; Wednesday 1:30pm. Went there this week, no line up.
Bought a chicken yiros pie and the donut of the month..
Certainly NO weight loss since I have moved here...
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #704
prydey
Rob

Spent the last week at one of our favourite relaxing campgrounds down in Naracoorte, in the Naracoorte Caves NP.

Had pretty good weather, albeit a bit cold, however to be expected this time of year, and we were prepared for it.

The only bad weather came on pack up day (typical) where naracoorte had around 20mm of rain. Packing up in the wet is never fun.

Our usual site

view from site

Spent a lot of time here

Plenty of these guys

And some of these... Never seen them there before. A google search says they are likely Swamp wallabies. Pretty large bodied little fellows.

And, leaving...

We didn't quite have the place to ourselves this time however it was still very quiet and a great week to just kick back and forget about life's problems for a week.
Old 13-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #705
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And fresh meat for the barby
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #706
prydey
Rob

kind of camping related, but mostly related to those who tow campers and vans of some description....

out of curiosity and wishing to be a law abiding citizen, i put my van over a weighbridge on the way to Naracoorte.

Long story short, i actually discovered i was 60kg overweight. I didn't unhook so only weighed axle weight (GTM) but based on previous measuring of ball weight i was likely over 100kg over on total weight (ATM).

tow vehicle(ford territory) weights were well within the parameters, given its only a campervan, so 100kg spare on front and rear axle and 30ish on ball weight (i don't have a HD towbar so only 160/1600kg limits).

The van weighed just on 1.3t. Quite light as far as vans go, which isn't surprising as its only a wind up camper, but the issue is all trailers (from around late 80's early 90's i believe) have a compliance plate. A problem with this is the trailer industry, even to this day is largely unregulated. The numbers stamped on the plate are often meaningless as far as the trailer is concerned, but as far as the law is concerned, they are binding. My trailer actually has a max axle capacity of nearly 1.5t, so i was well within the capabilities of the axle and wheels/tyres etc. so safety wasn't a problem.

Jayco are one of these companies that just have a set figure for 'payload'. For single axle its 300kg and for dual its 450kg. So they weigh the van as it leaves the factory (tare) and then add 300kg to that figure (ATM). They then minus the empty ball weight off the ATM to give you the allowed axle weight (GTM). This gets muddy when accessories are fitted. Gas bottle, awnings, battery etc. If these are fitted at factory, they are included in the empty weight, and don't impact your payload. If they are dealer fitted, they are actually part of your payload.

This is all very boring but now i have to look in to ways of getting my compliance plate upgraded. we pack extremely light, with only clothes and bedding added to the van and a small amount of food. This makes me think most of my payload is chewed up with the accessories. Seeing as the actual axle is capable of handling more than the compliance plate limit, i think i can get a mod plate fitted or a new compliance plate.

The moral is, if you are looking to buy a van, make sure you do your due diligence and make sure the van is fit for your purpose, or can be modified to suit. If buying new, make sure any accessories are fitted at the factory and the empty weight of the van is inclusive of these added extras.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #707
Trevor 57
is now there

EVERYTHING added to your tow vehicle and camper/caravan adds to the weights you can carry, when they say, for example, the Ranger has a towing capacity of 3.5 tonne, that is technically not correct, because your missus, yourself, your toolbox, your Engel, and anything in the Ranger to the is to be included in the 3.5 tonne, not just the van and its contents

Many people run overweight as they have no idea. Police are putting them over weigh bridges and I am hearing that so are insurance companies if the van is involved in a crash and their is an insurance claim (those ****ers will do anything to get out of paying a claim)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #708
ThePursuit

Hey Trev,

You and Prydey got it bang on there. It’s easy to go overweight if you’re not diligent and think about EVERYTHING you put in/on. I’ve been going through the process for a couple of months now trying to lose weight out of my Hilux to allow enough buffer for when I pick up the van early next month.

We are right on the limit with all of us in the vehicle. Basically if your gonna tow 3500kg a lot of our utes will need close to empty trays. The Hilux is an interim thing for us so once we know exact weights of van loaded we will purchase a more suitable vehicle.

I’ve resorted to emptying my aluminium canopy of everything minus the second battery and beer fridge and getting a set of alloy wheels with all terrains instead of the steelies and mud terrains.

Now to get the Covid situation under control so I can go exploring

Current rides:
2020 79 Series GXL
2010 TTG
2011 Polaris RZR XP

Previous rides:
2004 RTV V8 Manual
2006 XR5
2004 Pursuit
1993 XG SPack

Work ride:
2014 Hilux SR 4x4

2015 Hilux SR 2x4
Back in a 2014 Hilux SR 4x4
2017 Hilux SR 4x4 - soon to get GTurbo upgrade with 50% more power over stock

2017 Ranger XLS 4x4

New toy arrived
Fully optioned MASTERPIECE Dynamic Family Caravan
ThePursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #709
prydey
Rob

Exclamation Re: The Camping Thread

Like with my situation, you don't need a big heavy van to go over the made up numbers (many are when it comes to payload) on the compliance plate.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #710
Trevor 57
is now there

We tow a single axle 'off-road' van with the Ranger, the van comes in at 2.03t empty so we have a bit to play with, although at times when carrying the Engel, a 2kva generator, and a few other bits and pieces, like firewood in the back of the ute, plus a full load of 160l of water, and extra 105AH battery plus the odds and bods in the van I reckon we are coming close to maximum
Old 03-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #711
Trevor 57
is now there

There is even a BIG discussion about tyre pressures going on, as with the tyre pressures being listed on the compliance plates, plus the tyre manufacturers recommendations
Old 12-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #712
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Looking at a battery/inverter portable setup for camping.

I Dont know a lot about power outputs etc, but have read about Lithium power packs and their compact nature whicl still packing a punch over the AGM counterparts.

I was hoping to run a small Waeco fridge and power a pod coffee machine off it with too much trouble.

I took my mates 4wd supacenter Adventure Kings 1500w inverter a few weekends back with his 100aH AGM battery supply and the Inverter was beeping its nut off when I used the pod machine which is rated to 1200w max. Its possible the unit is a 1500w surge but Im not sure. Tha battery meter went down to 11.6v when the coffee machine was heating up so I dont think its the battery. Possibly the inverter being one of the first original units from 4wd SC which could be on its way out?

Anyway, I like the idea of a smallish portable battery and inverter to take with me on those off grid trips. So can anyone recommend me a unit that will supply enough power to power the fridge and coffee pod machine easily enough without alarms going off?

Is a Lithium/Inverter in one unit worth the added cost for the compactness and versatility alone? I am happy to pay good money for a unit that will do the job really well.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #713
ThePursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
There is even a BIG discussion about tyre pressures going on, as with the tyre pressures being listed on the compliance plates, plus the tyre manufacturers recommendations
Do any of us follow what’s on the vehicle compliance plate? I would say no.... That’d be sure to create another storm in a teacup for the boys in blue or more likely RTA to have a field day with.

Current rides:
2020 79 Series GXL
2010 TTG
2011 Polaris RZR XP

Previous rides:
2004 RTV V8 Manual
2006 XR5
2004 Pursuit
1993 XG SPack

Work ride:
2014 Hilux SR 4x4

2015 Hilux SR 2x4

2017 Ranger XLS 4x4

New toy arrived
Old 12-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #714
ThePursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Looking at a battery/inverter portable setup for camping.

I Dont know a lot about power outputs etc, but have read about Lithium power packs and their compact nature whicl still packing a punch over the AGM counterparts.

I was hoping to run a small Waeco fridge and power a pod coffee machine off it with too much trouble.

I took my mates 4wd supacenter Adventure Kings 1500w inverter a few weekends back with his 100aH AGM battery supply and the https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...ct-250va-800va Inverter was beeping its nut off when I used the pod machine which is rated to 1200w max. Its possible the unit is a 1500w surge but Im not sure. Tha battery meter went down to 11.6v when the coffee machine was heating up so I dont think its the battery. Possibly the inverter being one of the first original units from 4wd SC which could be on its way out?

Anyway, I like the idea of a smallish portable battery and inverter to take with me on those off grid trips. So can anyone recommend me a unit that will supply enough power to power the fridge and coffee pod machine easily enough without alarms going off?

Is a Lithium/Inverter in one unit worth the added cost for the compactness and versatility alone? I am happy to pay good money for a unit that will do the job really well.
Gday Blueoval,

Lithium is definitely the way to go if the budget stretches. Check out iTechworld https://itechworld.com.au/collection...watt-itech1000 or if you can really stretch budget then anything from Victron is just awesome..... https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...ct-250va-800va

I’d say the inrush current may be too great for the cheapy inverter you borrowed from your mate, hence the beeping. Also battery voltage below 12v is not ideal either so more battery may be required for longer use. It’s a little bit like the ‘how long is a piece of string’ analogy. Ideally need to know the current draw under normal operation and peak operation to work out capacity and then how long you want to run it without charging from a particular source.

Happy to work through any questions you might have.

Current rides:
2020 79 Series GXL
2010 TTG
2011 Polaris RZR XP

Previous rides:
2004 RTV V8 Manual
2006 XR5
2004 Pursuit
1993 XG SPack

Work ride:
2014 Hilux SR 4x4

2015 Hilux SR 2x4

2017 Ranger XLS 4x4

New toy arrived
Old 13-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #715
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePursuit View Post
Gday Blueoval,

Lithium is definitely the way to go if the budget stretches. Check out iTechworld https://itechworld.com.au/collection...watt-itech1000 or if you can really stretch budget then anything from Victron is just awesome..... https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...ct-250va-800va

I’d say the inrush current may be too great for the cheapy inverter you borrowed from your mate, hence the beeping. Also battery voltage below 12v is not ideal either so more battery may be required for longer use. It’s a little bit like the ‘how long is a piece of string’ analogy. Ideally need to know the current draw under normal operation and peak operation to work out capacity and then how long you want to run it without charging from a particular source.

Happy to work through any questions you might have.
Thanks for your help mate. What you say makes sense.

The power I need has to be at least 1500w. That unit you linked was 1000w. The coffee machine is 1200w. Would the unit you mentioned be good enough for what I need or should I go the next one up?

Is there an all in 1 battery and inverter unit on offer rather than a separate one?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #716
prydey
Rob

Quote:

The power I need has to be at least 1500w. That unit you linked was 1000w. The coffee machine is 1200w. Would the unit you mentioned be good enough for what I need or should I go the next one up?

Is there an all in 1 battery and inverter unit on offer rather than a separate one?
You'll end up spending a lot of money just to be able to run your pseudo coffee machine.

You'll need a lot of battery to run a 1500w inverter especially if you want to use the machine multiple times. Probably need solar panels as well to be able to replenish the power used.

Another option is a generator although this may limit where you can go as some national parks etc don't allow generators. Honda do pretty quiet ones I believe.

When I go camping, if I have power I take my espresso machine and grinder. If I don't have power I bought a nanopresso by wacaco. I don't have the ability to steam milk though. I just do it on the stovetop. My brother recently bought an espresso maker called a flair. Quite pricey but he's happy with it. There are quite a few options for non powered coffee around as well as stovetop steamers (bailetti??) for milk....
Old 13-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #717
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=blueoval;6478099]Thanks for your help mate. What you say makes sense.

Is there an all in 1 battery and inverter unit on offer rather than a separate one QUOTE. If you are going to do bush camping,you really have to go basic.Use a gas burner to heat water and use either campfire or gas bbq for cooking.240v kettles etc can use 2000w or more which means big inverters and big batteries for extended use.A 2000 w kettle requires not much less than 200 amps out of the 12v battery.Doesn’t take very long to flatten a 120ah battery.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #718
prydey
Rob

The benefit of lithium is depth of discharge. AGM should never be taken below 50% regularly. Some even say 70%. This means 100ah battery is good for about 30-50ah of use. Regularly taking it lower will shorten its life substantially. Lithium can go 80-100% depth of discharge so you only need about a third the capacity of AGM.

It's expensive though however if you invest in a decent setup it should last many many years.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #719
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks Gents.

This is all a learning curve for me. My mate has a an Aeropress unit. Looks nifty and a little backpacker style butane gas bottle and burner which packs away light which doesnt do a bad brew.

I also have a ROK lever press machine which I could also use. Crema is harder to create with that, but it works similarly to a manual machine in that it plunges the brew at reasonable pressure but manually.

I also cook with the camp fire and can boil water with a cheap stove top kettle I bought.

I guess if I settle for that style of coffee while Im out bush, then all I need is power to run the fridge for a number of days and charge devices and such.

Here is a unit I dont mind the look of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUmV1I6jjk

Also, I want to be able to charge the battery when the car is running/moving via an anderson plug if that is viable. I can buy a 200w solar panel setup from 4wd SC fairly cheap too for added convenience.

The reason I want to go the Lithium battery is reducing weight. My upper body strength is not good and lifting a regular AGM battery in an out is not as easy as it once was.

Just contemplating whether this unit https://itechworld.com.au/collection...watt-itech1000 will be enough for what I need it for or if I should opt for a higher power option.

Ultimately, less attaching units is a good thing due to space and weight.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 13-08-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 13-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #720
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Its not the max power output of the inverter but the continuous rating it supplies which is important and be careful of powerpack inverters advertised as sinewave as a few I have come across will do more harm than good.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post