Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Default Re: The Definitive AU Diff Topic

I noticed that 4.11 was mentioned in the second post! Does anyone know what model these were fitted to?
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Last time I sent them both PM's about something else, I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply...

Yes I forgot you may need a B infront of the A
Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
I noticed that 4.11 was mentioned in the second post! Does anyone know what model these were fitted to?
4.11s were never factory fitted in AUs even after market requires shimming .

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Yes I forgot you may need a B infront of the A
Yes I have since learned that , but it's basic customer service to let a potential customer know if you can't help them...maybe even suggest somebody else who would be able to assist...
Old 27-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #34
zakjames

So just wondering guys.
I have a series 2 XR8 ute auto beam axle, any idea what diff they come with standard and what ratios I could fit in?

I only ask because I didnt see any mention of the utes.
Cheers guys.
zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #35
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakjames
So just wondering guys.
I have a series 2 XR8 ute auto beam axle, any idea what diff they come with standard and what ratios I could fit in?

I only ask because I didnt see any mention of the utes.
Cheers guys.
It will be 3.45:1, and LS.

You should be able to slide in anything up to 4.1:1.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #36
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Just another one for the records. My AU II Fairmont Ghia also came with a 3:45 LSD, was a bit surprised when I got underneath it the other week when I was pulling the tailshaft off. I suspect the reason why it received one is due to the Tickford 17's and sports suspension + IRS that it received (options on the Tickford compliance plate).
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #37
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Something i'll point out that was originally mentioned about the 3.08 diff's, its actually not the casing that is different it is the centre itself, you can pull the actual centre out and replace it with a different say 3.45 centre and use the other diff gears.

Commodore 3.45 VL gears that fit are non turbo and 75 series, they are super weak and break very easily, i really dont recommend this path.

My diff in my ED is a 3.08 factory unit, i replaced the centre with a LSD unit out of a 3.45 XR6 EF from memory, and install 3.45, then 3.89 and then 3.91 diff gears into it.

The 3.45's broke, the 3.89's broke and wear always noisy, and the 3.91's are nice quiet and super strong. unlike the weaker made 3.45's and 3.89's. The key point here is, there are stronger made 3.45's in ford's and weak one's in commodore's except Turbo's and so on.

All v8 ghia's both fairlane and fairmont i have see have had 3.23 single spinners...
Old 28-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #38
BHDOGS
Banned

I have an au 2 fairmont v8 live axle I assume I have the 3.08 diff as nothing's written on my diff housing and there's no LSD tag so this means I can rip the center out and just put any 3.45 LSD center in from another live axle 6 or 8 live axle au?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Pretty sure that's right. As it's only the centre, I'm also fairly sure it doesn't necessarily have to be from a live axle AU.

Fairly sure if you stick a 3.45 centre into a 3.08 open diff, you'll end up with a 3.45 single spinner (ie not LSD).

FWIW, I asked my mechanic about this topic, he said it's a real pain to change a diff centre over, easier to get a replacement diff and they can install that....so that's what I did! Not installed yet but soon!
Old 28-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

AU 2 fairmont V8 live axle should be 3.23 LSD.
Old 28-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
BHDOGS
Banned

Hmm really? It's got tickford suspension from factory if that makes a difference how can I check if there's no markings on diff?
Old 16-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Does anyone have any idea what this Diff is from? I am guessing as it does not have LSD on the tag, it is a single spinner. Does anyone know what the high performance tag means?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #43
ic0nic

Hey guys, I'm exploring the possibility of throwing a LSD into my 02' AUIII. What would my options be here? I'm a little sketchy on the details that I need.
ic0nic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0nic
Hey guys, I'm exploring the possibility of throwing a LSD into my 02' AUIII. What would my options be here? I'm a little sketchy on the details that I need.
Try and source a complete diff assembly from an XR6 rather than muck around getting diff centers changed. That is what I did. All I did then was gave the new diff some fresh oil and it was all good.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #45
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 ED
Something i'll point out that was originally mentioned about the 3.08 diff's, its actually not the casing that is different it is the centre itself, you can pull the actual centre out and replace it with a different say 3.45 centre and use the other diff gears.

Commodore 3.45 VL gears that fit are non turbo and 75 series, they are super weak and break very easily, i really dont recommend this path.

My diff in my ED is a 3.08 factory unit, i replaced the centre with a LSD unit out of a 3.45 XR6 EF from memory, and install 3.45, then 3.89 and then 3.91 diff gears into it.

The 3.45's broke, the 3.89's broke and wear always noisy, and the 3.91's are nice quiet and super strong. unlike the weaker made 3.45's and 3.89's. The key point here is, there are stronger made 3.45's in ford's and weak one's in commodore's except Turbo's and so on.

All v8 ghia's both fairlane and fairmont i have see have had 3.23 single spinners...
I have an AU Fairlane V8 series 1 with 3.23 LSD and traction control. I am the second owner.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #46
Day-mow
rexnet

3.23 say i want to be sporty but i really just dont cut it.
you need minimum 3.45. a real man would put in 3.9's

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #47
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

mine is getting 4.11's and a mini spool, all you will ever need.

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #48
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my car in sig is stock what would be the cheapest lsd diff i could get put in? Not really interested in higher ratio just the stock ratio in lsd
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #49
BHDOGS
Banned

a second hand one out of another falcon would be the easier and cheapest one to do.
Old 23-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #50
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

k thanks.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #51
zakjames

Does anyone know what size the actually crown wheel is?
I keep seeing kits for 8" and 8.8" ford diffs ?
zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #52
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Sorry to drag an 'oldish' thread, but I note that both Dave_Obsession and Rapid Axe have both change the speedo gear when going to 3.45. Can either tell me the number of teeth and / or colour of the speed gear that goes with the 3.45?

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 20-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #53
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

23 teeth - Black, haven't we been through this in your build thread Stu?

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #54
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgtjames View Post
23 teeth - Black, haven't we been through this in your build thread Stu?

Yes we have been through this James, but I have heard conflicting stories. I have not discounted your input, just seeking confirmation. Some of what I have heard may mean colours were changed? The afore mentioned guys have done this to an AU.

Do it once, do it right. Forums are a free source of info, cannot hurt to ask.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 20-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #55
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Yea fair enough Stu might be different with the Au?

The EB GT Autos have 3.45s, 17x8.5 rims with 245/40/17 tyres from the Factory, the "Technicians Data Guide" that comes with them shows the Auto as having the 23 teeth Speedo Drive, this was confirmed when we took the Auto out and changed to Manual (black gear) and I re-used it in the T5, with Chad manning the Quarterhorse he confirmed my Speedo to be spot on ..

Yours will still be out with that gear as you've got a larger diameter rim/tyre combo

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #56
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Cheers James. If I find any different, I will be sure to post it here for future reference. Still keen to hear Dave and Rapid Axes input.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 21-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Still haven't done mine yet - the diff is sitting round the back of our house The diff and speedo cog I got were from an S1 XR6 HP...speedo cog is grey and has 22 teeth...hmmm maybe I was given the wrong one?
Old 21-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #58
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Obsession View Post
Still haven't done mine yet - the diff is sitting round the back of our house The diff and speedo cog I got were from an S1 XR6 HP...speedo cog is grey and has 22 teeth...hmmm maybe I was given the wrong one?
Thanks Dave. Grey and 22 teeth rings a bell as to the conflicting information that I have. I guess I just have to stop being lazy and get under my car and pull the 3.23 speedo gear out, count the teeth and get one with one more tooth.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 23-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #59
EvilChief
Boost Addict

The good old BW 8-3/4" Differentials (solid axle only)

Any BW diff prior to EA had a different housing and center, but same same diff gears as newer BWs.

Housings between E-series Falcon, A-series Falcon, Commodore Vl - VS and R31 Skyline are different in terms of tube length, but housing is the same, hence any center carrier (open or LSD or spool) is the same right across the above mentioned models.

The axle splines are determined by the guts of the centers, regardless of Open, LSD or locker. VP, VR VS (possibly VN), R31 and most Falcons run 28spline axles.

The carries between Open and LSD are different and are not interchangeable, as the LSDs are "friction cone" based with a spring loaded center, where as the opens use spider gears with pins, however these are again identical across commodores falcons and skylines and are interchangeable. (Note to "tighten" LSD centers, shims under the center springs increase the cone pre-load, which retains the LSD in locked position and rises the break away friction load, to do it on the cheap regular washers can be used instead). (Please note there are aftermarket LSD options available that are not friction cone based, but come with their own carrier specific to their design).

When changing any component within a differential they must be re-shimmed. First off the pinion needs to be shimmed, in order for the pinion and crown to mesh on the full face of each other. If the pinion is not shimmed out correctly (not enough) then it will run on the toe of the crown and whine. If its shimmed too far out (too many) then it will run on the heal and once again whine. Either way it will lead to premature failure of the diff, by destroying the teeth on either the crown or pinion. It is imperative that they are shimmed so that the pinion contact surface is exactly in the middle of the crown contact area (use engineering blue to test). This may require several removals and re installations of all components to get right and is quite labor intensive.
Ensure to set preload on pinion when making up pinion nut (crushing the collapsible ring). There are tools available that will measure the preload based on the friction of bearings against their seating cones, or you can do it by feel. It should feel fairly firm with some effort to turn, but without nodging or hanging up.
Now the crown needs to be also shimmed in order to set the backlash. Determine the overall width off the original diff center including shims, bearings, cups etc, when fitted to housing, and compare that to the new overall width of the new center, if one is being fitted, if old center is reused, usually the shims are still correct, just mark right and left accordingly). To determine the backlash, use a dial gauge to determine the free play (rocking crown forwards and backwards and forwards with pinion stationary and observe gauge. Off the top of my head this should be between 7 to 11 thou. Adjust shims until this achieved.

A possibly usefull or useless fact, R31 manual Skylines ran 3.7 differential that will also fit falcons and commodore BWs and ran 28 spline axles centers. This is actually my most favorite diff ratio in all my Falcons, as they are common and cheap.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #60
ic0nic

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can shed some light on my most recent purchase.

I found a 2000 AU XR6 at the local wreckers with a diff stickered as 3.45:1. The diff ratio change from 3.08 should be a noticeable improvement by itself, but would this particular diff also be LSD? I've looked over all of the bolts but I can't locate a tag as pictured in the earlier posts.

Merry Christmas everyone
ic0nic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post