Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 20-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
HOTPIG175
Strangely normal.

Exclamation 1995 KJ Laser cutting out

Hi.

Got this Laser, 1995 KJ GLXi, 1.6 DOHC. Done 304,000 km, and generally runs ok, but has started to intermittently cut out. Happens occasionally when I slow down to turn at an intersection, but more worrying is it also does it when accelerating or driving at a steady speed.

Seems to be worse in hot weather, and I can be driving at say 70 km/h, and it completely dies for up to three seconds. Initially suspected the coil, (which is internal in the distributor), but there are a couple of reasons that make me think this is wrong:

1) After it cuts out, when it kicks back in, it never backfires. When rolling down a hill in gear, if I switch the ignition off and back on, I get a backfire;

and

2)The rev counter needle doesn't drop to zero or anything, no lights on the dash come on, etc.

Starting to think that the problem is still electrical, but related to the fuel injection side of things. I suppose it could be a blocked fuel filter, but there is no stuttering - it just dies suddenly, then cuts back in.

I don't have a manual for this thing, so I have no idea where the fuel filter even IS!

I could get it hooked up to a diagnostic machine, but as the problem is intermittent, with my luck, the symptoms won't happen while it's connected. Just like my washing machine, it always works fine when the repair guy comes around, then plays up again after he leaves.

Have checked all accessible plugs and connections, and can't see any obvious issues.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what was the fix?

Many thanks, Andy
HOTPIG175 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: 1995 KJ Laser cutting out

Not sure if it's the same issue or not but I had a V6 Telstar which had something similar, especially when the weather was warmer. The problem turned out to be a crack in the silicone coating on the circuit board inside the distributor. From memory upon removing the distributor cap there were a couple of screws to remove which enabled you to flip the circuit board over to view it. This was a common problem apparently with the V6, over time the silicone coating on the circuit board would harden with the heat and develop cracks. This then allowed moisture to build up (especially under warmer conditions) and the moisture would eventually get into the cracks and start to corrode the circuit board and cause it to short out. I tried everything from replacing coils, leads and spark plugs but all to no avail :( It was just by chance that I happened to take into a mechanic mate of the brother in laws to have a new clutch fitted and when I quizzed him about the problem he said he had come across it a couple of times and had replaced the distributors with refurbished units and the problem was solved Might be worth looking into at least to see if your distributor is the same setup

Cheers
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
HOTPIG175
Strangely normal.

Thumbs up Re: 1995 KJ Laser cutting out

Hi Russ,

Thanks for that.

Yeah, It's a distinct possibility from what I've read elsewhere, and I note that there is oil leaking past the dizzy o-ring externally. I need to whip the cap off, and I suspect the rotten thing is full of oil from an internal leak as well.

I need to cure it, because it's getting worse, and I'm meant to be starting a different job soon, which involves a fair amount of travel. Don't want it breaking down anyway, but especially not right when starting a new job.

Thanks again - I will let you know what I find.

Cheers, Andy
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

No problem Andy, hope you get it sorted soon
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
HOTPIG175
Strangely normal.

Well, this is weird.

After weeks of progressively worsening behaviour, I suddenly seem to have a car that doesn't cut out.

Not sure why, as all I have done is make sure there are no obviously loose plugs or connections. I'm a bit iffy about pulling the dizzy cap off, as it has a major crack under one of the mounting screws, and I fear it might disintegrate if I mess with it.

The plan was to check out the circuit board in the distributor, and that will happen once I can get a new cap and rotor, because this may be the calm before the storm, if you get my drift.

Re diagnostic scanners: I'm guessing that this beast would need an OBD I scanner, as opposed to OBD II? Does anyone know? Can't find out for sure on the net, but believe that OBD II is '96 onward.

Fortunately, I've sourced another complete car, plus a low mileage engine, if I need bits. Pity about the car, as it's tidy, but the rego is dead, dead, dead. It will cost at least a grand to get it through the process of re-registration, and it's simply uneconomical to do so. If I was in a major city, I'd simply wreck it, and probably make a bomb, but not where I'm living, and I don't really want a partly stripped car on the property. Only worth $45 to the wreckers, which is more than they want for a second-hand dizzy!

So, all very weird - I was wondering if I had water in the fuel - but the problem is not happening at present.

Thanks to Russ for the suggestions, which may yet prove to be the problem, and to AFF for providing the forum.

No doubt you'll hear from me again...

Cheers, Andy