Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
DartAUxr8

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU IRS rebuild. 
Smile AU IRS Upper Rear Shock mount repair

Purpose
The purpose of this build thread is to assist other AU falcon owners in the rebuilding of there Upper rear shock mounts. All costs and information provided is for reference only as you will get parts cheaper and you may have other ideas and views on how things should or can be done.

Parts

Supplier: Wholesale Suspension Part # SM-AU-IRS S/mount falcon AU Rear IRS Bush Kit cost each $85 plus GST

Notes:

If you have aftermarket shocks you may need to increase the internal diameter of the internal steel sleeve supplied with the bush to suit the larger shaft size.

SAFETY NOTE:

If you choose to use the Stanley knife to remove the rubber PLEASE TAKE GREAT CARE as to not cut yourself as its a bastard of a job and could very easily turn into a simple job that you regret doing.

426HP 730Nm
1/4 mile: 12.44 sec @ 110.42 MPH

Build thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11410574
DartAUxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU IRS Upper Rear Shock mount repair

Bloody awesome!.

Did the supplier give you any details as to how well these bushes will hold up in the AU IRS?

You're probably well aware that the standard design is poor and flog out the mounts real quick. Hopefully these bushes solve the issue!
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
XR815

Awesome. I was part way through a similar conversion to a set of worn mounts. What is the kit cost
XR815 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR815 View Post
Awesome. I was part way through a similar conversion to a set of worn mounts. What is the kit cost
Price is at the start of the first post
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys,

What are the symptoms of worn shock mounts, I have an S3 XR8, it appears to be travelling well at the rear. What should I be mindful of or listen out for?

Cheers
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Maybe others had different symptoms to me, but the best way I can describe it- I kept thinking I had not fully closed the boot lid. I would pull over, get out and check it. All good. Hop back in go over a bit of uneven road and think, that bloody boot lid is not closed properly again. Took me a couple of weeks to work out where the noise was coming from.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz View Post
Maybe others had different symptoms to me, but the best way I can describe it- I kept thinking I had not fully closed the boot lid. I would pull over, get out and check it. All good. Hop back in go over a bit of uneven road and think, that bloody boot lid is not closed properly again. Took me a couple of weeks to work out where the noise was coming from.
Great,

Good to know, mine is solid at this stage, no adverse noises. My rear tie rods and link pins were shot, that helped stiffen the rear once I replaced those items. No noises or excess movement at the rear.

Cheers Crakrz
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Xdesp80

How many of you have done this conversion and are satisfied with the results?
Seems I am now up for the same repairs on my XR8.
Xdesp80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Xdesp80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edxr6 View Post
Great,

Good to know, mine is solid at this stage, no adverse noises. My rear tie rods and link pins were shot, that helped stiffen the rear once I replaced those items. No noises or excess movement at the rear.

Cheers Crakrz
How many Kms on your car when it showed signs of wear/noise Crakrz?
Xdesp80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Re: AU IRS Upper Rear Shock mount repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdesp80 View Post
How many of you have done this conversion and are satisfied with the results?
Seems I am now up for the same repairs on my XR8.
I did mine after Sox and I had a look at my car and they were stuffed.
Very happy with the results , I picked thme up and the guy was happy to show me what they had for AU's,
Not a hard job yo do.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
Climaxxx

Hi Everyone
How are these holding up for everyone? I have just got my diff rebuilt and changed the diff gears to 3.91 in my S3 XR8 but i don't hear any noise in the back just the front making a slight knocking noise reversing out a driveway but i think I'm going to do front to back.
If anyone needs passenger airbag clips just let me know.
Climaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2021, 03:49 AM   #12
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The best way to check these upper mounts is to have someone drive the car while you sit in the back with one half of the rear seat down. With the cover already removed from the shock tower watch the top mount when the car is driven over some bumps. You will soon see if its stuffed or not.

I saw a T Series car on a club cruise on a freeway and the rear wheel was bouncing due to the shock mount on a smooth piece of road. The driver wasnt even aware of it. So don't rely on hearing a noise from the rear to assess.

There is another thread on these and the company that makes the replacements also does exchange with a deposit so if you don't want to tackle the swap and removing the rubber there is an alternative
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2023, 10:16 AM   #13
ester@123
Starter Motor

Is there a company that actually dose a replacement for upper shock mounts?
ester@123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2023, 10:20 PM   #14
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ester@123 View Post
Is there a company that actually dose a replacement for upper shock mounts?
No, the they have been NLA for a while now unfortunately. Superpro now makes the inserts above.

Pretty sure my XR8 still has the originals at 250,000km and they somehow are holding up ok...
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post