Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default How to fit courtesy light’s in door trims on AU ?

Hi guy’s, has any one ever fitted a set of courtesy light’s to the door card’s on an AU Falcon that didn’t have them originally ?.

I plan to fit a set of 4 courtesy light’s out of a EL Ghia but I am unsure if the wiring/loom is already there behind my door card’s as most loom’s/plug's are already in the car’s but unused, so has anyone ever come across this and know if the wiring is already there ?.

And has anybody fitted the light’s and if so how did you go about it, I was thinking just cut the hole so it’s a tight fit and either silicone it on or something similar so it won’t push out.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How to fit courtesy light’s in door trims on AU ?

xr looms have the courtesy lights plugs from factory
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thank’s mate, I have taken the door trim’s of once before but it was a few year’s back now and I can’t remember.

What about the rear door’s ? do they have the plug’s/loom’s already there as well ?.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all four door looms do
i bought some door looms out of an s2 xr6 and they were all complete in the looms, plug and play
Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, I dunno Brandon...

My T2 TE50 doesn't have rear door loom / plug for the door courtesy lamps...fronts yes.

I would have thought the XR6 and XR8 would be unlikely to have them - thinking Fairmont *might*.

Keep us posted galaxy_xr8
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

MY AU1 fairmont only had the looms for the front doors
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstraight View Post
Hmm, I dunno Brandon...

My T2 TE50 doesn't have rear door loom / plug for the door courtesy lamps...fronts yes.

I would have thought the XR6 and XR8 would be unlikely to have them - thinking Fairmont *might*.

Keep us posted galaxy_xr8
Could be right and it may be a memory from having the ltd apart, as yeah I do think the te50 is only front
Old 05-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thank’s for the update guy’s.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive done it on 2 AU's, granted they were utes but it just means half the work.

If youre lucky it will be plug and play, if not, grab the power from the front footwell lights and run it through the door to where you need it. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the wires through the door jamb so hopefully you won't have to do it.

The lights themselves are pretty easy, if you take the door trim off you will see the indent for the lights, all you have to do is cut the hole out and fit them and as you said use silicone or similar to hold it all together.

Its simple enough but does make a nice difference, although the EL lights will be a different colour to your door trims as the EL trims never came out in black.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Ive done it on 2 AU's, granted they were utes but it just means half the work.

If youre lucky it will be plug and play, if not, grab the power from the front footwell lights and run it through the door to where you need it. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the wires through the door jamb so hopefully you won't have to do it.

The lights themselves are pretty easy, if you take the door trim off you will see the indent for the lights, all you have to do is cut the hole out and fit them and as you said use silicone or similar to hold it all together.

Its simple enough but does make a nice difference, although the EL lights will be a different colour to your door trims as the EL trims never came out in black.
Thank’s mate, I might have to paint the plastic surrounds Black or such to match the trims.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also be weary that although the lights themselves appear the same (EF/EL Ghia vs AU Ghia etc) the plastic surrounding the lense differ slightly - may have something to do with the angle they mount on the AU lower map pockets compared to the E-series variant.

galaxy_xr8 - I only mention this because in your opening post, you mention that your sourced lights from an EL Ghia. But who knows...maybe they'll mount up similar, however you're still stuck with the colour of the surround problem (which you're happy to paint). Nonetheless, it might be easier to get some AU courtesy lights in the end to save all the potential mucking around *shrugs*

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes.
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interested in this topic as I want to fit courtesy lights to my AU3 ute. Looking for a loom and the lights if anyone has some for sale.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thank’s guy’s,
Yeah I was a little concerned about that to dcstraight on whether the EF/EL lights were different to the AU ones ?.

Does anybody know for sure if there is much of a difference apart from the colour ?.

What are these lights worth these days as well ?.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore View Post
Looking for a loom and the lights if anyone has some for sale.
There's no loom you can get to plug straight in on a ute, youre better off making your own. Isnt difficult.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #15
AUwindsor

Looking at my Fairlane, the door trims look identical to my AU forte but fairlane has leather and courtesy lights and wood grain. Wouldn't perhaps be much easier to source 4x door trims in same colour as your trim (if available) from a Fairlane at wreckers or if someone is dismantling one. Parts for these cars are dirt cheap these days
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So door trim lights are plug and play, how about footwell lights. Is the loom there too for on the XR6?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #17
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was @ Picknpay less today and had a quick look @ the Series 1,II & 3. 90% didn't have the rear wiring for the light. I saw a rear light in a Ghia (EL I think) and the lugs looked different (those stupid push in O ring clamps). It was broken but it did look more 'round' than the front AU I have in the XR8.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
I was @ Picknpay less today and had a quick look @ the Series 1,II & 3. 90% didn't have the rear wiring for the light. I saw a rear light in a Ghia (EL I think) and the lugs looked different (those stupid push in O ring clamps). It was broken but it did look more 'round' than the front AU I have in the XR8.

UK
Do you mean the little lens bit at the back of the centre console? I'm 99% sure they're the same from EF-AU.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Going by some pic’s I have seen of a set of AU and a set of EF/L ones, the plastic trim around the edge of the lens that is exposed looked slightly different, more thicker and deeper on the AU one, thus making it sit further of the door trim ?.

But this is only going by some pic’s so I have no real substance to say they are different 100% but it did look somewhat slightly different.

As for the plug’s I have no idea if they are different but thank’s guy’s for info.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah thank’s UK, but like b2tf mentioned did you mean the rear light at the rear of the centre console or the courtesy light’s in the door trims.

I already have put the light in the rear of the centre console as the wiring was already there for plug and play but I am only interested in the door trim courtesy lights.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No I mean the door trims (I have done the centre console and yes the power was there)
No I was looking at rear door trims in different series (mind you most had there door trim missing) but easy to see no wires.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #22
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I have fitted footwell lights and front door courtesy lights to a series 2 Futura wagon. So mid spec series. The door cards are the same exact item from forte to ltd, the only differences are the trim material fitted to the doors and the lighthole is cut out and carpet may be fitted to the map door pocket.
On each trim, on the inside there are outlines to where the light hole should be. Simple as cutting it out! There is a foam section behind that bit of trim with the provision for a light to sit in. Also, series one fairlanes had fold out door armrest pockets..all AU's had the provision for these pockets. Also a cut out job for a retrofit. Easy.

There is (normally) no wiring in the doors for mid spec models for a light. Just run wires from footwell lights if fitted, if not fitted then run wires from the light on the steering column above the ign barrel.

The door lights fit to the door with steel push rings that are nigh on impossible to remove without destruction..so other means of fitting to the door trim may be necessary.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Yeah thank’s UK, but like b2tf mentioned did you mean the rear light at the rear of the centre console or the courtesy light’s in the door trims.

I already have put the light in the rear of the centre console as the wiring was already there for plug and play but I am only interested in the door trim courtesy lights.
Sorry for the thread mine, but I’m curious to know more about the installation of the rear console courtesy light.

Everything I’ve read says the plug should be there for it but I can’t for the life of me find it on my car. Any clues on where it might be hiding?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Sorry for the thread mine, but I’m curious to know more about the installation of the rear console courtesy light.

Everything I’ve read says the plug should be there for it but I can’t for the life of me find it on my car. Any clues on where it might be hiding?
Hey mate, it was a few years back now that I did the courtesy light install in the centre console, I think from memory that there may have been a wire or plug under the passenger seat ?.

I can't quite remember to be honest.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #25
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Cheers mate. I didn’t look under the seat so I’ll try that. The cabling is quite long so would make sense for it to be a fair way from the actual light. I’ll report back.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post