Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #151
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: New Tow Tug ,What to Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Looks like overhang is less than 60% than wheelbase perfectly legal and on a dual rear axle.
Water, tanks, house batteries, galley and storage is usually built midships in those.
Indeed, then the owner comes along and puts heaps of **** in the back that they don't need and hits the freeway with dog on lino handling characteristics
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #152
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Indeed, then the owner comes along and puts heaps of **** in the back that they don't need and hits the freeway with dog on lino handling characteristics
so nothing is viable as the owner comes along and loads the rear and only the rear with tons of crap
and in this instance be it the bed/toilet n shower , some one must have quiet the collection of sex toys

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #153
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
so nothing is viable as the owner comes along and loads the rear and only the rear with tons of crap
and in this instance be it the bed/toilet n shower , some one must have quiet the collection of sex toys
I didn't pick you as quite the chap wodahs

Let's compare notes
Old 14-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #154
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Indeed, then the owner comes along and puts heaps of **** in the back that they don't need
Doubt it. The thing is designed for it on a dual wheeled rear axle. Light truck GVM would be around 6 ton. The rear island bed probably has limited storage under it unless they are storing bricks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #155
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Doubt it. The thing is designed for it on a dual wheeled rear axle. Light truck GVM would be around 6 ton. The rear island bed probably has limited storage under it unless they are storing bricks.
That's news to me given the most common one is a Fiat Ducato, hence why in QLD and TAS the highest volume rotor is for this vehicle
Old 14-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #156
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
That's news to me given the most common one is a Fiat Ducato, hence why in QLD and TAS the highest volume rotor is for this vehicle
Dunno, thats an IVECO.

Old 18-11-2020, 01:53 AM   #157
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've read through this thread with interest, and unfortunately I have to say that the fundamental precept is flawed. There simply is no-such vehicle that can do all 3 things.

The best Tow-Vehicles ever sold in this country, within reason, were Falcon Wagons.
And they are a passable, if large, town-car.
Unfortunately their beach ability is sorely lacking (I know from embarrassing personal experience) and their (comparatively) modest weight limits the size of the van.

I've towed overweight loads, and its not something I would recommend over long distances, high speeds, or country roads. Last I checked, the law would allow (subject to OEM ratings) you to tow 150% with electric brakes.
And yeah, like many things, that works fine, in a straight line, on a good road. Personally I would stick to 100%, but that's just me. Plenty of old farts tow 3t vans with 2t cars, and not all of them have died.
(Oh, and towing above 100% with a ute with no weight at the back? Easier just to use a gun.)

Also, not sure what you mean by "special" in the context of a tow barge? Yes, you could buy a RAM. But there's a doctor in America who does an op with a silicone mesh, and its probably cheaper.

Your best bet is to simply choose the most practical 4x4 wagon for your requirements (with an eye on GCM), and size your van accordingly.
(My personal favourite remains the GU, with the big TD, but they are getting on a bit and I've no idea on GCM.)
That will give you the best bang-for-buck Tow-Pig, a very good off-roader, and something you can live with around town.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #158
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F250 or similar,Iveco daily 4x4,Isuzu or similar jap 4x4 small truck will all do the 3 things but the cost gets up there very quickly especially when you add all the extras that you would need long term,the 4x4 is the killer when it comes to cost!
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #159
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

needs some work and its only 2X4 but i have an 83 F350 in a holding yard 351c long tray
nah ya dont want it

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #160
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have always wanted a old Effie but not sure on there legal towing limits but have towed a big van with both a 55 custom line and a 77 xc coupe without any problems back in the day and if it is mostly to be a tow pig could just about handle the fuel consumption!!
Old 25-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #161
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just put the motor from the Ltd into an older F truck, stuff the fuel use, it’ll be the perfect tie rig
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #162
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
needs some work and its only 2X4 but i have an 83 F350 in a holding yard 351c long tray
nah ya dont want it
Sounds like a good tow vehicle, with one of those 4 wheel offroaders on the tray best of both worlds.

Old 26-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #163
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have already thought of that,I have the LTDs org 351 here all reconed so could put that back in the Ltd with the org diff and converter,sell that off with the stock wheels and recam the 393 and put it in a effie,a Quad could also keep me happy when beach fishing.A little car to commute would also be needed or do away with the quad idea and get a Jimmy to do the commute and beach work.
Old 26-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #164
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD View Post
Have already thought of that,I have the LTDs org 351 here all reconed so could put that back in the Ltd with the org diff and converter,sell that off with the stock wheels and recam the 393 and put it in a effie,a Quad could also keep me happy when beach fishing.A little car to commute would also be needed or do away with the quad idea and get a Jimmy to do the commute and beach work.
Not suggesting for you but I notice lately bigger motorhomes and bus conversions flat towing full size 4x4 usually with a boat on its roof racks. Seems to me a better idea given the tow vehicle is much heavier than the towed vehicle assuming you have the need and the space for one.

I guess they have come to realise their isn't much else out there to do everything.

Last edited by roKWiz; 26-11-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 28-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #165
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
F250 or similar,Iveco daily 4x4,Isuzu or similar jap 4x4 small truck will all do the 3 things
You must have a very liberal view of what constitutes a Daly Driver; because none of those could really be considered in that category. If they’re acceptable to you; that’s great (this is your thread about your requirements) but it essentially means that you’re really only constrained by two requirements; the towing and 4x4.

On that; many vehicles have been fitted with AWD. Most of the Asian vans sold here have (or had) 4wd versions back home for the snow and ice. L would imagine that makes them a better all-road proposition; but a beach vehicle it does not.

With the direction you’re heading; and the budget you’re apparently contemplating, you may want to consider a 5th-wheeler.
I’ll stress that I don’t know the laws specifically. Whether they count as articulated, and/or whether it depends on the coupling.
But in theory, if it qualifies as HC rig, you could tow a very heavy van, with a comparatively light (but powerful) tractor. So you could conceivably use something like a 70 series as the tractor, leaving you with a decent ute for around town and the beach.
Old 28-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #166
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I've read through this thread with interest, and unfortunately I have to say that the fundamental precept is flawed. There simply is no-such vehicle that can do all 3 things.

The best Tow-Vehicles ever sold in this country, within reason, were Falcon Wagons.
And they are a passable, if large, town-car.
Unfortunately their beach ability is sorely lacking (I know from embarrassing personal experience)....
Your best bet is to ......
*****ahem******

Now available in Mildura.....

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/q9AAA...iE/s-l800.webp

Ute tragic.

Last edited by anobserver; 28-11-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Messed up image link
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #167
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Currently the daily driver is a 393 powered 80 ltd ,140kms round trip to work (country kms)so would not have any problems doing the same with the ones i highlighted !! Currently keen on a Iveco Daily van ,200hp 3 lt diesil, 8 speed zf,carries over 2 tn in the back and will still tow 3.5tn just waiting on a quote.4x4 quad in the back for the beach fishing and i should be a happy camper !!
4 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #168
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive had an F250 and an F350 as daily drivers and found them comfortable for all round use
but i do drive semi's for a living and come from a farming background so no hondi hatch backs for me

2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #169
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
You must have a very liberal view of what constitutes a Daly Driver; because none of those could really be considered in that category. If they’re acceptable to you; that’s great (this is your thread about your requirements) but it essentially means that you’re really only constrained by two requirements; the towing and 4x4.
Don't know where you live but my daily is a 89 3 ton Jap truck.
Trucks in this class are driven around and between most towns and cities all day doing deliveries. They might not be the most comfortable vehicles around (unloaded) but they get the job done and are ultra reliable.

351 looking at the Iveco 2 tonner van like a good proposition to me.

2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #170
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

64 so not of the bells and whistles era ,happy for it to start and get me there and back, was heading the isuzu small truck way as i have had a mighty run out of the mighty d max but found the iveco van and as i have had a similar sized transit which i loved are heading that way instead of a truck then having to put a canopy on to it .we shall see !
Old 24-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #171
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ROFL
As a general rule (subject to chassis limitations) the certified towed weight is dictated by the mass of the towing vehicle.
Now on the one hand, this is a good thing, as a heavy tow vehicle is less likely to be dragged around by the trailer. As discussed previously, I prefer to stick within 1:1 for long distance towing.

However, there is a world of difference between this certified weight, and the actual ability of the towing vehicle.

I used to be a delivery driver for an equipment hire company. My ride was a Ford Trader (ie a Mazda), and I towed all many of trailers, generators, compressors, etc. I can tell you from personal experience that the worst possible tow vehicle, is a lightly loaded truck. At best I'd spend the whole journey with the tail bouncing up and down in harmonic rhythm, and coming to an unmarked unexpected bend on an unfamiliar road was quite an adventure.
A van might be slightly better, until you encounter cross-winds.

Plus commercial vehicles, including your Iveco, are also grossly underpowered compared to the alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, if you've now decided that instead of driving to the beach, you would rather use a quad-bike, and you want to be able to take both with you, then a truck or van is really your only option.

Best of Luck.
Old 30-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #172
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After spending a few days beach fishing over Christmas with more to come in the new year I have gone full circle and the need to be able to drive on the sand to go fishing is the winner over Payload so back to looking at 4x4s with the v8 Patrol (yes petrol) at the top of the list.Going back and forth between Petrol and Diesel so we shall see.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #173
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do the Patrols still have dirt re sale value?
Toyota have stopped production of the 200 series, so I wouldn’t be surprised if low mileage examples end up having asking prices at or higher than RRP for the coming year.

Seen these the other day. The container is accomodation. The Mack would be better with a Suzuki Jimmy instead of a Smart car. No dramas with GVM or GCM. Thought of Rokwiz.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #174
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I love the container accomodation idea - thats epic, no one would suspect.

Until you rock up to Byron Bay as the king of the hippies
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #175
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post

Seen these the other day. The container is accomodation. The Mack would be better with a Suzuki Jimmy instead of a Smart car. No dramas with GVM or GCM. Thought of Rokwiz.
Container KW looks interesting, talked to a guy in Yarrawonga with a 6x6 MAN with a container conversion on the back.
That first picture is how I would like to ultimately set up my Louisville down the track. Using a gooseneck ball hitch if allowed. Otherwise a compact D'angelo 5th wheel plate.

Old 31-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #176
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I love the container accomodation idea - thats epic, no one would suspect.

Until you rock up to Byron Bay as the king of the hippies
Personally, I don't really get the container conversion, be it tiny house or MH as they get really hot from the Corten steel. They require so much more insulation than simply buying an already heavily insulated frigpan box or semi.
Container has the advantage of twistlock quick release from truck but the same can be achieved with a pantec.

By the time you box out the interior walls for the necessary insulation you've lost a lot of living space. On the outisde its not so bad if its a stastic building but once it needs to move its oversize.

Picture is my already insulated cabin bedroom, simple 22ft x 8ft x 9ft ex cake shop delivery van body. All I needed to do to it was pull the stickers off the outside, polish the cargosheet sides, paint the inside walls and varnish the timber floor.
And of course it can bee refitted onto a cab chassis again later.

Might go down the same route with a modified double dropdeck furniture pan as the new mobile digs. Carry truck in the back half garage, 5 pallets of stone, mezzanine bedroom front half.

3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #177
hayseed

This Bloke gets to checkout the Sights in Style Too..

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #178
Swordie

Quote:
After spending a few days beach fishing over Christmas with more to come in the new year I have gone full circle and the need to be able to drive on the sand to go fishing is the winner over Payload so back to looking at 4x4s with the v8 Patrol (yes petrol) at the top of the list.Going back and forth between Petrol and Diesel so we shall see.
Take them for a drive if you haven't and if you can test towing your rig.

There's probably threads all over the internet debating which way to go.

My guess if you are hard core 4x4 person going to remote locations Toyota is way to go. T

he difference saved on the Patrol buys heaps of petrol plus it looks like it has better interior. The Patrol can be supercharged and can get you can get a nice V8 note.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #179
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not hard core 4x4 just abit of soft stuff and beach fishing as per last night ,saw the new year in sitting on the beach fishing,,like the idea of the patrol v8 which will give me my v8 fix !!
Old 01-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #180
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm V8 pet 4x4 in a price range
i dont think there will be much at all
i dont think Nissan do a Patrol
Toyota are about to axe their landcruiser
Jeep do the GrandCherokee SRT
any others ?