Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #31
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

ITT: Twisted Panties.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a fg xr6 hire with 1000kms on it and it was great
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #33
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot can happen to a car in 50000k's even more so one no one care about
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #34
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
i used to think
"why buy an FG when you can get a BA at half the price"

then i drove an FG lol they dont compare!!
the FG has it all over the BA BF.

Just like the next offering will have it all over the FG and so on, and so on.

If you could get a car with all the FG niceties with the BA/BF bodyshape what a fine specimen of a car that would be.

The FG has been out around 2 and a half years and its taken a Lightning Strike Silver with black striped 335 kw GT I saw on this site 2 days ago to start to arouse my interest to the point I may look at upgrading - but not yet
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #35
jixel 78

Hmmm. Alot of private cars are `well looked after` too. Especially the `RWHP` editions.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #36
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132

If you could get a car with all the FG niceties with the BA/BF bodyshape what a fine specimen of a car that would be.
What with those ghastly carry over AU doors & drooping roof line that....

no thanks

As for the OP, you can't be serious can you
Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a lemon, although I question why a rental car needs sports suspension. Most people prefer comfort. Maybe Ford should do a rental spec XR6 with XT suspension.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #38
blockhead83

I was at a conference in NZ recently and had a FG XR6 rental, currently drive a BA XR8. I found the ride to be a little better but couldn't get comfortable, the pedals seemed a little more vertical and I was getting a sore ankle after about an hours driving. Was okay at the start but my ankle was killing me after 3 hours on the road.

Would have helped if you could use the cruise more often on the NZ roads, or if it had the adjustable pedals i suppose. I tried all sorts of seat/steering wheel positions and none were comfortable after about an hour.

Made me realise that before i buy a new car the test drive should consist of more than a half hour blat around the roads. I think if I'd bought this car I'd have to sell it in the end.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #39
fg_nitro

I would be surprised if you found that FG was on the OEM oil fill. They are never looked after.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
I would be surprised if you found that FG was on the OEM oil fill. They are never looked after.
Correct.. They dont maintain them at all.. Just drive and sell.. I had a VE SV6 in Sydney about 6 weeks ago that still had the 3000 service sticker on the windscreen and it had done nearly 45,000.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #41
mr ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Spot on there. Durrr my GHIA MORE BETTER it's probably been driven to within an inch of its so far short life and by the way has sports suspension compared with luxury spec in your GHIA
Hmmm I assume csv8's comparison is with a BF era (Fairmont) Ghia with the fantastic ZF six-speed auto.
The hire car FG XR6 with 50,000 on the clock probably just had the French built five-speed auto which is only slightly better than the old BTR four-speed, so a direct comparison there is not quite fair.
Also re Road_Warrior's comment, the BA and BF Fairmont Ghias have the XR suspension, only tweaked back slightly in favour of ride, so they still handle and ride more like an XR series than a Falcon XT, Futura or ordinary Fairmont.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #42
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
Just remember when ford state in their commercial "come in and compare" they mean in a ford dealership, not at AVIS ;)
That made me laugh.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #43
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted the comment, because a car should still feel reasonably new at 50,000kms. Not as though it was about to fall apart. FORD cars (any car)should be able to take rental car abuse, without falling apart. or are rental XR6's built differently to public models???????
My BF Mk2 GHIA has done nearly 80,000kms in three years, and still drives like new.Log book servicing and one set of tyres is all its had. Very impressed with the car. Not even considering a G6E.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #44
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

What's with the upper case GHIA?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #45
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
What's with the upper case GHIA?
Thats how it is on my car!! not upper and lower case or italic as previous models.Just kept it as how my car is named. no other reason...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I posted the comment, because a car should still feel reasonably new at 50,000kms. Not as though it was about to fall apart. FORD cars (any car)should be able to take rental car abuse, without falling apart. or are rental XR6's built differently to public models???????
My BF Mk2 GHIA has done nearly 80,000kms in three years, and still drives like new.Log book servicing and one set of tyres is all its had. Very impressed with the car. Not even considering a G6E.
give me your car for 500kms... it will be just as stuffed as a hire car regardless of your service history.... hire cars are stolen cars that get returned with a full tank of juice....
Old 02-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #47
Jimmyd
Banned

Driven a ridiculously large number of renters over the years including FG XR6s - the FG package simply has the competition beat hands down including the SV6 (V6 engine is just too 'thrashy' for my liking). Just last month I had a new <2,000ks FG XR6 for a week. Very much like my Tickford optioned AU 1.5 Fairmont Ghia to drive. FGs inexplicably soft suspension and six speed auto are the really noticable differences in the mechanical package, everything else is pretty well line ball with my ten year old Tickford spec AU. Thought about buying one briefly but decided to stay with my AU for one very simple reason - at 6'4" I don't have to dislocate my left knee to get behind the wheel of the AU.....

Cheers

James
Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #48
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Give my your GHIA for a week and we will see how good it goes after some hardcore abuse...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While I understand your point you must remember your own personal car has obviously been very well maintained by you. You don't know what all the previous 50,000km of drivers of the hire car did to it or how well it's been maintained. I have a forklift that is over 8 years old and when ever the tech rolls up to service it he needs to double check the serial number to make sure he's servicing the right fork...I was paying it off so I have looked after it as though it was an Aston...in your case it's not so much the car as it's level of care.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 02-12-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #50
davids_gxl

hired a fg last week with 30.000,on it.drove nice.xt very ordinary.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #51
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Everybody else has allready said it, but I will say it again as I agree with them, the OP just doesn't seem to want to admit defeat and will not man up, but,
Give me your car for 50,000klm's and then see what you think ??, just think about it mate, think about all the nut cases that drive them, or ask yourself this, would you give your Ghia up to them ?, total stranger's to drive for 50 thou, I seriously doub't you would, now would you ?.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #52
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not even considering a superior car? I understand why a lot on this forum get ignorant and envious when it comes to comparing with cars on the red team (and vice-versa) but when you make a petty attack on an improved newer model of the same brand it is beyond childish.

What do you think Ford spent 500 million on when they developed the FG? A few new panels and some fancy colours? The FG is a better car in every way in comparison to the BF. Why have they received so much critical acclaim and praise?

If the FG XR6 had been treated like you treat your BF Ghia it would feel miles ahead everywhere. If your Ghia had been treated like the FG XR6 had it would feel twice as bad and worse for wear. I don't even need to comment on how ridiculous it is that you are denouncing the entire FG range over a flogged rental car.

You do have an excellent car by all means, but the FG is undoubtedly better (even models of a lower spec than yours). Be a good sport and test drive a proper G6E or even an XR6 and then you'll "feel the difference" (awful pun not intended).
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #53
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Hire cars are like prostitutes, thrashed by the masses and extremely used. Unless your BF has been in the hands of 100 different test pilots for hundreds of kms at a time, for 50,000km, your comparison is invalid. You've had heaps of people tell you this, are you not listening or do you just enjoy being ignorant? Start a thread asking private FG owners how their cars are holding up post 50,000km.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #54
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Hire cars are like prostitutes, thrashed by the masses and extremely used. Unless your BF has been in the hands of 100 different test pilots for hundreds of kms at a time, for 50,000km, your comparison is invalid. You've had heaps of people tell you this, are you not listening or do you just enjoy being ignorant? Start a thread asking private FG owners how their cars are holding up post 50,000km.
WOW you have your nickers in a twist!!!! I am not being ignorant..I know what people have been posting..just making a comment..not allowed ?????
Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #55
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
WOW you have your nickers in a twist!!!! I am not being ignorant..I know what people have been posting..just making a comment..not allowed ?????
You can make stupid comparisons all you want, nobody is going to deny you that right.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #56
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have been corrected on a multitude of occasions throughout the thread yet you continue to ignore (see: ignorant) the advice and information given in reply to your biased and uninformed judgement.

Understandably, other people in the thread are likely to get frustrated and label you ignorant.