Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
RiTz

Default I should have waited.

Ok... Here's the deal... I always wanted a V8..and I bleed blue..so there was no questioning what I wanted was an XR8.

I sold my 08 lancer and had 2 days to find a car (yes 2 days).. Only had 2 off and I work an hr from home ...anyways

I drove from Newie to Coffs to look at the XR8 I ended up buying.. Was love at 1st sight lol

It makes me smile everytime I look at it and grin stoopidly everytime I drive it.

But........ I should have got a manual

I've researched getting a trans swap and don't think it's a good idea..I know I could sell it and get a manual.. But when I 'jokingly' thru that in the air last week I got the OMFG I'm gonna kill you look

Soooo... Where would I start looking for a car swap? I've googled it and haven't come up with much.

And before I get called every moron under the sun.. I know!!

Jo
RiTz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I should have waited.

Maybe. But I've said the same thing in the past. Should have kept looking, instead of just buying something on impulse.

At the end of the day, the auto XR8 had something that going for it. You wouldn't have bought it if you felt completely uncomfortable in it.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps this is an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu.14.nd
ford pro wreckers in i think smithfield sydney i got my full 5 speed converion 1800 well worth it so much better driving a manual lol
saw this in a thread the other day an this might help. Buying cars is a bit of a pro's and con's situation, by the sounds of it as a package you picked up a nice car. Dont kick yourself to soon
Old 24-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
kempy311
BEN

whats wrong with the auto its a nice box
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311
whats wrong with the auto its a nice box

Not the 4 speed auto, the ratios aren't exactly inspiring.

I had a BA2 with the 6 speed manual. That was a pretty quick car. Ritz, yes you should've done a little more research rather than buying the what may have been the best looking car or deal at the time....
Old 24-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
blk6t

If your not planning on having the car long term, just hold off then buy a manual XR8 or GS when the time is right. Just think the more you wait now, the cheaper the GS or FG XR8's will become, especially when the used ones start hitting the private market in a couple of years time.

The cost to convert the transmission is not cheap and you may or may not be satisfied with the manual.

If I were you, I would hold off save the cash and wait to buy a newer V8 manual.
Old 24-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Not the 4 speed auto, the ratios aren't exactly inspiring.

I had a BA2 with the 6 speed manual. That was a pretty quick car. Ritz, yes you should've done a little more research rather than buying the what may have been the best looking car or deal at the time....
oh i thought he got the fg 6 speed box mu bad
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

RiTz how much have you tryed using it in tiptronic, you may be quite surprised how well it works, give it a go
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS
RiTz how much have you tryed using it in tiptronic, you may be quite surprised how well it works, give it a go
If he uses the tiptronic alot more he might just change his mind
Old 24-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
RiTz

I use the tiptronic all the time...I think that's what's fueling my want for a manual .. Used that during the test drive lol

Maybe I just need to start spending some $$ to get some more oomff and maybe the box needs a service.. I don't like the way it thinks for a sec before doing what I want it too do...reminds me of Road Runner lol

And.. Not that it matters in the scheme of things.. But I'm a 'she' 

Thanx for not jumping all over me.. I think I just needed to publicly admit I should have waited 

It's my Sunday today so I'm gonna go give her a wash and polish 

Jo
Old 24-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Zero_PSI
Banned

Manual FTW! I looked long and hard for my XR6...only regret is not getting the XR8 manual.

Then again, I'd buy a Auto if I got a FG.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
stang65
FPRJET

Depends I think you can`t go past the ZF for what it offers, I wouldn`t want to be stuck in peak hour traffic everyday in a manual.
Old 24-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

There's always next time, make the next one a manual atleast living in Newie you dont have the traffic jams that Sydney has so either box is a nice drive.
I will have to keep a look out for a vixen XR8 without a wing when I am out and about relatively easy to spot a good ford in newie.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Depends I think you can`t go past the ZF for what it offers, I wouldn`t want to be stuck in peak hour traffic everyday in a manual.
Problem is, an 03 XR8 didn't come with the ZF.

The 5 speed I had in my 04 XR8 was reasonable, probably better mated to the Boss than the 4 speed auto. Only driven the 4 speed in an XR6 and wasn't that impressed with it.

Have you thought about what your budget is?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
RiTz

Smile Re: I should have waited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
There's always next time, make the next one a manual atleast living in Newie you dont have the traffic jams that Sydney has so either box is a nice drive.
I will have to keep a look out for a vixen XR8 without a wing when I am out and about relatively easy to spot a good ford in newie.
Yuh we don't really have traffic in Newie lol although Belmont between 3.30 and 5 lately

Even though I've loved them for years I never noticed just how many XR8's and GT's get around up here lol

I've wrangled around a 3K budget (?) and am getting quads, air and dyno..wouldnt mind some new rims.

But before I start on the above she needs a service and I'll get the box looked at annnnnd ..... When I took the wing off it revealed rust at the holes and all the damn paint off to the bone in an oval shape where the wing sat on the paint and the sponge had perished

So in all I think rust and service comes first. Then I'll get going on that ooomf 

Jo
Old 24-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Congrats on the purchase.

Whilst exhaust etc may seem like the best mods to do straight away. Many have said GO THE DIFF GEARS! Amazing just how much extra snap it gives the XR8/GT models. In hindsight, plenty have said they should have done them first BEFORE any other mods.

Go 3.9 or 4.11s and the XR8 will fly.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiTz
Yuh we don't really have traffic in Newie lol although Belmont between 3.30 and 5 lately

Even though I've loved them for years I never noticed just how many XR8's and GT's get around up here lol
Yeah I work out Wallsend and drive back into town. During daylight hours the 8kms takes 20 minutes. After 6pm and before 6am it takes 10 minutes.

May not be traffic 24/7 but there is certainly enough. The roads have not kept up with a booming Newcastle. 20mins for 8kms is a pathetic 24kmh average speed.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
RiTz

Thanx for that... I was thinking diff gears too but wasn't sure if that was before or after other modd..

Just after I bought it I took it up to Josh at Cessnock for him to have a look over it. He said I got a good buy.. Wasn't too sure he believed me when I said I grabbed it for $12,500 hehe

I'll have a chat to him when I take it up for a service 

Jo