Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
Peej

Default Fiesta and 17's

Hey ppl, just wondering, i was reading a few threads last night and noticed people were saying that increasing rim sizes puts extra stress on the engine and gearbox etc. Im looking at getting BSA 291 17x7s on my 06 Fiesta. Just wondering what sort of effects these will have on fuel economy, accceleration, handling etc.

Thanks

Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Welcome, good to see another new face
Going to 17's from 15's gave me a huge handling benefit, I don't think I've suffered at all with respect to acceleration or fuel economy.
What colour Fez have you got? what finish wheels are you getting, Chrome or hyper?

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Peej

Hey thanks mate, yeah still deciding, ive got a sub-lime coloured one. Leaning towards the chrome finish for the overall shine appeal. Changing the wheel size doesnt effect the factory warranty either does it?...
Old 20-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta and 17's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej
Hey thanks mate, yeah still deciding, ive got a sub-lime coloured one. Leaning towards the chrome finish for the overall shine appeal. Changing the wheel size doesnt effect the factory warranty either does it?...

Changing wheels and tyres wont affect your warranty, as long as you do what the tyre placard says... 17inch wheels might be a bit of an issue, especially if your claiming for something like gearbox problems.

Some tyre placards (josh) have 17 inch listed... if i remember correctly.
Mine only says 16's so thats what i went for.
If in doubt ring your dealer.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #5
joshf2
striped

yeah, mines got 17x7 with 205/40R17 tyres listed on the placard

however, i wont agree with mitch about seeing your dealer if in doubt. they would know less than you, and will most likely point you in the wrong direction

check the rta. theyre the ones who are going to defect you in you get it wrong, not your dealer
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I realise the rta and the police will defect you for your rim sizes.
Its important for your car to be legal, but its also important to make sure your car is under warranty.
Things do break, and ford will try ANYTHING to get out of paying up.
If your car has different size wheels on it which are not listed on the placard then thats just something they will use against you.

So my suggestion, check your tyre placard in the glovebox, follow that.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 21-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

If you can get the part number of the placard with 17's listed (Josh?), you can replace the one you have and theres no problems. Its a common fix for some commodores that list funny sizes through different spec cars.

Old 21-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Peej

Yeah i checked the placard and it goes up to 17x7's so i guess im lucky then.
Old 21-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
I realise the rta and the police will defect you for your rim sizes.
Its important for your car to be legal, but its also important to make sure your car is under warranty.
Things do break, and ford will try ANYTHING to get out of paying up.
If your car has different size wheels on it which are not listed on the placard then thats just something they will use against you.

So my suggestion, check your tyre placard in the glovebox, follow that.
So... if theres a problem with the engine, and you have a non standard air intake, they could blame the problems on that? doesn't seem to have stopped anyone.

Old 21-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej
Yeah i checked the placard and it goes up to 17x7's so i guess im lucky then.
must be the newer build's to have the bigger wheel placards
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #11
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

17x7 will put more stress on ya motor and gb :( trust me , thats why i took mine off

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieMK6
17x7 will put more stress on ya motor and gb :( trust me , thats why i took mine off
Why? If your'e running the right tyres theres no huge difference in sizes so all the components are doing the same work.

Old 22-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
So... if theres a problem with the engine, and you have a non standard air intake, they could blame the problems on that? doesn't seem to have stopped anyone.
From some of the stories ive heard, ford will try and pin a problem due to non stadard mods like pod filter, wheels and exhaust. I have booked my car in this saturday for the sparkplugs and have put the stock setup back in. Obviously i cant return the wheels/exhaust back to stock. Hopefully they wont try and say "oh its because uve got a diff exhaust or bigger wheels blah blah blah" because it sounds like BS to me.

Why would bigger wheels cause a stress to the engine? Just because they are bigger or heavier than stock. Then whats the diff of having a full car load with stock rims?
Old 22-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
From some of the stories ive heard, ford will try and pin a problem due to non stadard mods like pod filter, wheels and exhaust. I have booked my car in this saturday for the sparkplugs and have put the stock setup back in. Obviously i cant return the wheels/exhaust back to stock. Hopefully they wont try and say "oh its because uve got a diff exhaust or bigger wheels blah blah blah" because it sounds like BS to me.

Why would bigger wheels cause a stress to the engine? Just because they are bigger or heavier than stock. Then whats the diff of having a full car load with stock rims?
Depends on the wheels, many 17's will actually be lighter than the stock steel rims, the tyres are definitly lighter, and if they're putting them on the placard, ford should be ok with them. If the rims and tyres are a proper fit there should be no problems, this is why you should physically go to a reputable tyre shop, not buy them off the net where theres little or no responsibility once they've got your money.
I can see where your coming from, but if you're that concerned about warranties, whats stopping you from changing your wheels back to the stock rims? 25mins work with a jack...

Old 22-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

The stock rims are not with me atm and cant get em as no licence. Ill see how i go, hopefully they wont notice.
Old 22-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Ford are numb nuts.

They will see a ford badge on your wheels mista and not think of it again.
dont worry bout your wheels.

Loads of fun :
Old 22-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Most mags are going to be heavier than steel wheels, very rarely is it the other way around. The rolling diameter of the wheel may stay relatively similar, or within up to a cm, but it can still take more effort to get a heavier wheel rolling, which yes, can put strain on the engine and gearbox. Factory 17's (think the ST has 17's ?) would be designed within weight parameters to not strain the car un-necessarilly. After market rims aren't designed specifically for the specifications of your car. Having said this i've never had problems with upgrading rims, but i've always done it on more solid cars. I'd check with your local roads authority AND with Ford CRC to make sure putting the bigger rims on is not going to make you liable in an accident, or void your warranty should any issues arise. I know for a fact that they lean more towards engine mods for voiding warranties. In some cases even upgrading the AIR FILTER has done this. Exhausts, CAI's, generic/custom tunes are also a big black mark. Stupid, but that's the way it is.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

The ST150 does have 17's, but also a larger turning circle. Not sure if it's just the engine.
When my Zetec eventually gets here, I want to change to a K&N filter & quality plugs. Is it worth changing these back to stock for servicing? Only a direct replacement filter mind & I wouldn't want it to get chucked.
kiwijohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
The ST150 does have 17's, but also a larger turning circle. Not sure if it's just the engine.
When my Zetec eventually gets here, I want to change to a K&N filter & quality plugs. Is it worth changing these back to stock for servicing? Only a direct replacement filter mind & I wouldn't want it to get chucked.
Up to you what you do for servicing, all i can say is some dealer service establishments will pick you on it and some won't, and that will heavily depend on if there is a problem that they could even REMOTELY (and most likely ridiculously) link to a part you've changed. I don't see plugs being a problem, i know a few people here have put decent plugs in as the factory ones turned to crap early on.. Check to see if better plugs are mentioned in the service book, and if not, your choice, just remember what i said above. I mean hey, "you've improved the spark, the engine has more efficiency now, that's why your right tail light is crooked"..... etc
Old 22-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #20
theostheone

i had 18 inch rims on my car and there were no problems... I dont see why people say there would be more stress etc with the new rims...

if u take the car to get a service or anything like that simply jack up the car and put the stock rims back on... how hard is that.
theostheone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #21
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines 16" with 195/45 (:

Could it be possible that it's because of the lx/zetec models? That some fiesta's can have 17 205/something and others have 195/45
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
Mines 16" with 195/45 (:

Could it be possible that it's because of the lx/zetec models? That some fiesta's can have 17 205/something and others have 195/45
Most likely. WQ Zetec comes standard with 16's now, whereas WP Zetec was 15 with OPTION of 16's.
Old 22-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #23
crispymk2

thats strange because i test drove an 04 Zetec with 18's yesterday at a Ford dealership here in Perth. It was an ex melbourne Ford dealer demo, 6170kms, $18,500, ruby interior with moondust silver. Had contisport low profile tires too.
crispymk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispymk2
thats strange because i test drove an 04 Zetec with 18's yesterday at a Ford dealership here in Perth. It was an ex melbourne Ford dealer demo, 6170kms, $18,500, ruby interior with moondust silver. Had contisport low profile tires too.
If you're refering to a Fiesta, then i don't doubt it may have had 18's on it, but they would not be factory wheels. (unless it was some sort of spcial prototype or one off from o/s)
Old 22-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
crispymk2

They look like bigger versions of the factory alloys, (8 wide spokes? or is it seven?) Had the ford centre caps too... could they be from a Focus (yes i was refering to the Fiesta)
Old 22-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #26
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Where these the ones u saw?? Im very confident they didnt come in 18s tho.

Old 22-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #27
crispymk2

Those look like the ones. I'm nearly positive they had 18in contisport tires on them but i'll make sure next time i go down. Finance should be approved by Friday