Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default AU1 danger warning plastic brake boosters!!

I am compelled to let my fellow au 1 owners that our brake boosters are dangerous!! On Monday mine gave way and I lost my brakes!! Only with a 20 metre gap and all of my weight on the brake pedal could I stop. So luckily I was close to home and just managed to get it to dads place. We went up to greenacre and got another au1 booster.Fitted it that afternoon and I was motoring again. Today after doing some work in Watsons Bay having made it past Broadway I heard a familiar hissing noise and lost my brakes ..again!!

I managed to get it to greenacre again at 15 kmph in peak hour traffic.Got another booster and stuck it in.. In the meantime in conversation with the wreckers he pointed out that the au 2 got a bigger booster made of steel!!

It seems ford knew of how dangerous this booster was but were never bothered to recall and upgrade ours. the au2 booster will not fit straight into our cars because its bolting pattern is different.However the wrecker gave me an au2 booster to try to install. He told me it was the first au2 booster he got rid of.

Anyway please be aware of this problem as it isnt fun without brakes.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

question.

why is it failing?
why are most other peoples fine?
I'd say theres more so a problem with your car, then the brake boosters.
EF/EL had plastic ones too, and the main issues i've heard with them have been to do with heat sources too close and thus melting them, or engine pulling on the vacuum line and splitting the fitting that goes into the booster and creating a big leak.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Vacuum is fine.There was no split at all.Both times the suction was right at my feet and the engine idled higher.The ef el ones have the same problems.It was mentioned in the conversation. Both times I had just stopped and then the brake pedal went alot farther in /At the same time the vacuum was heard. I dont know why it failed? But 2 in one week. I have done 80,000 kays on the old booster.I wish I knew why it failed ? I hope number 3 holds up.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 18-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

I am going to have a look inside the booster tommorow to see what happened.It seems that the booster is too small for the pedal travel.When the brakes wear a little and pedal moves down a tad it sounds like the diaphram being ripped out of where its supposed to stay stuck..

Old 18-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #5
Stav
Smile

I wanted to sneak out to wsid tonight and there is simply no way I am racing that!!

Maybe I will do the au2 conversion.

Old 18-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #6
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Thats scary mate. John does make a valid point about it potentially not being a booster issue. Id agree and say there is something else not good in your braking system at this point.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

omg - a plastic brake booster ! , I think for safety sake it would be wise to try to adapt the steel AUII brake booster, now that you've got it anyway ;) .gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Thats scary mate. John does make a valid point about it potentially not being a booster issue. Id agree and say there is something else not good in your braking system at this point.
On the face value I would say I agree.However I believe it is a combination of 2 things.
1/ Primarily the brake booster is too small.The full pedal travel would collapse the diaphram in half the time as an au2.The a2 is very close to twice the size.

2/ As my brakes have worn and the pedal has naturally travelled down a little it puts too much pressure for this booster.The au 2 doesnt not do this because of the boosters size and extra diaphram travel

Dam I was trying to be diplomatic in my looking at it but so far it appears that I am right and the booster is a piece of crap!!

I am going to cut it open and see where it failed.

Old 18-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
buickman
buickman

Never had a problem with the booster with the AU1 that I had. I changed my front pads well before they got to low. Being 2 boosters now that has given you problems I would be looking at the master cylinder or a leak somewere as well as the calipers that might be blocked with dirt that might be some cause of the problem.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i saw it happen going down a 70kph hill :
the lady had her wits about her to use her transmission to slow down, and ride it out, but geez it was a close one....she had to navigate a raoundabout quite quickley. luckily there weren't many people around.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Free347

I've always understood the AUII boosters to be superior to the series I but have never heard of the series I boosters have a problem. I've not experienced any problems so far (and hope I never do). Am keen to hear the outcome of your autopsy.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

AUII boosters are bigger because of the twin piston setup.

my parents AU1 wagon's brakes are flawless.
if this was a brake booster problem i think a lot more people would be having problems.
There is most likely something else causing the brake booster to fail.
installing a larger/metal one may just be a bandaid fix.
Old 18-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Alot of au1 drivers dont do 250 km a day in stop start traffic.What can go wrong with them?The diaphram rips.Why ? Because they are crap . Last night me and my liitle bloke bled the brakes so that the pedal doesnt go so deep into the booster and wreck the diaphram.Hope this fixes the problem.

Thank heavens that your au 1 brakes are good because it sux when they go. They only have to not work once for them not to be flawless and to end up in some trouble.
So tell me why they wreck ?

Old 18-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
There is most likely something else causing the brake booster to fail.
installing a larger/metal one may just be a bandaid fix.
I dont know about that..especially since the wrecker has never sold an au2 booster but dozens of AU1 boosters.Whatever goes wrong you would think that au 2's would have the same problem.

Old 18-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

I can't tell you why they wreck because i havnt seen one wreck and havnt pulled it apart to look.
any failure i've seen with plastic brake boosters has involves exterior breakages.

the fact that AUII's dont have the problem could be for heaps of reasons since there was a number of changes betweent he 2 setups.

perhaps your brake system wasnt upto par, you say yourself you've bled the brakes in an attempt to 'fix' the problem.
maybe a well maintainted brake system won't have this problem?
Old 18-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Free347

Does that mean there might be a trap for those updating their AUI brakes to twin pots?
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some interesting information about the booster issue, thanks "Useless". I have had some issues with the brakes on mine (AU1) however more related to pad/bleeding than anything else. Before "EFFalcon" turns this thread into another shytefight, why don't we turn to the guru's who would know if this is an inherent AU1 problem, you know, the absolute "oracle's" of the AU..................Taxi drivers. After all, if they had longetivity in taxi's, then there would be no reason to be concerned. Just a thought! :jab:
Old 18-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #18
EFFalcon
Last warning

shi* fight?
i'm simply questioning if the booster is primarily to blame.
start your own shi* fight "The Dok"
Old 18-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #19
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
maybe a well maintainted brake system won't have this problem?
Perhaps you should word your "opinions" differently then!!!!!!:
Old 18-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
EFFalcon
Last warning

see the question mark?

?

that denotes it as a question.
Old 18-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Well, well,

Yes the AU1 boosters can fail, do they fail often? NO!!!

I have seen more flexible brake line failures over the EF-AU1 than brake boosters

It isn't the plastic casing that is of concern, which EFFalcon alluded to, more simply the manifold pressure or lack of that controls the booster.. Now they are that rare a failure that I am only going by memory as it wasn't something I had to put alot of time into, but iirc the car that they failed on had a problem with the manifold pressure.. It used heaps of fuel and was just generally pooped out, it went thru 2 or 3 over the 4 years I owned it.. 2 or 3 over 25 AU1's running 24/7 isn't a major problem in my books

and yes the pedal goes hard but the car still stops just the same, you just have to apply alot more force.. Scarey when it happens, no doubt but worse if when the pedal goes to the floor from a split line and no fluid.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #22
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
see the question mark?

?

that denotes it as a question.
Makes absolutely no difference to poor sentence structure!!!
I'm sure "Useless" started this thread to be of some assistance to AU owners, by making a statement like that, combined with the fact you don't actually drive/own an AU, it's probably not an issue you can comment on with any authority. End!!!
Old 18-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #23
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Makes absolutely no difference to poor sentence structure!!!
I'm sure "Useless" started this thread to be of some assistance to AU owners, by making a statement like that, combined with the fact you don't actually drive/own an AU, it's probably not an issue you can comment on with any authority. End!!!
that EFFalcon doesn't drive one is irrelevant, his parents do and the S1 brakes are so similiar to the E'series set-up he is entitled to comment ...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
EFFalcon
Last warning

where exactly have i stated i don't drive an AU1? the forementioned AU1 is sitting 3 metres away from me so chances are i do drive it.
How ever, raising a question reguarding to maintenence was in now way implying useless' brake system is in dire condition, simply that if something as simple as bleeding the brakes fixes such issue, then perhaps the brake booster isnt at fault.
Old 18-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Well, well,

Yes the AU1 boosters can fail, do they fail often? NO!!!

I have seen more flexible brake line failures over the EF-AU1 than brake boosters

It isn't the plastic casing that is of concern, which EFFalcon alluded to, more simply the manifold pressure or lack of that controls the booster.. Now they are that rare a failure that I am only going by memory as it wasn't something I had to put alot of time into, but iirc the car that they failed on had a problem with the manifold pressure.. It used heaps of fuel and was just generally pooped out, it went thru 2 or 3 over the 4 years I owned it.. 2 or 3 over 25 AU1's running 24/7 isn't a major problem in my books

and yes the pedal goes hard but the car still stops just the same, you just have to apply alot more force.. Scarey when it happens, no doubt but worse if when the pedal goes to the floor from a split line and no fluid.
This is interesting.My cars fuel economy since the edit is around 450 kays with city driving.It is the best its ever been. The wreckers checked my vacuum and said it was good. Coincidentallly the problem had started a few days after my auto gearbox had been replaced in the au? Do you think this can affect it?

Old 18-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #26
I6corp
Was V6corp

Calm down guys, honestly i didnt take EFFalcons question, as a bad thing!

And it could well be that a well maintained brake system would not have this problem, when u think about it, a well maintained system shouldnt have any problems... or if u did find one, you would fic it before it became a problem. IMO
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #27
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6corp
[QUOTE
when u think about it, a well maintained system shouldnt have any problems... or if u did find one, you would fic it before it became a problem. IMO
Your right on with that comment
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #28
FordGirl
The Goodz' PR Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Alot of au1 drivers dont do 250 km a day in stop start traffic.
You overlook all the cabbies in this country? If there was an actual problem with them, you would've thought people would say "hey, that happened to me too!". I dare say its a problem with your car...
Old 18-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #29
Barry_v
rocknrolla

perhaps your master cylinder is to blame, by allowing too much travel.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #30
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Since we are on the brake subject, i heard that S1 upgrades had a bigger/better brake booster?

Also on the problem, could it be a seized caliper piston? because we had that in dads XF and gave him greif but did not cause him brake faliure!
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post