Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Engineer
Cookie Monster

Default XR8 220kw AU II Dual Snorkel CAI with PICS

Hi Guys,

Here are some pics of the CAI that i built for my XR8. I used a 90mm pipe and adapted it to the airbox. I used a heat gun to flare the tip for better airflow. It is stealthy and works very well by getting a heap of cold air from behind the headlights. I am still running the std tickford snorkel as well as it will flow enough for 300HP. Although power increases are hard to pick from a change this small I did notice the engine was slightly perkier from 3000rpm upwards. I was happy with the result so i just thought I would share the experience.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...00&ppuser=8845

Cheers
Engineer

Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Very well done Engineer. Maybe I should be looking at doing similar on my XR6?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chris@bluepower did a similar thing to my air box when he did my edit, but with an additional whole on the side of the airbox too, the one opposite to the engine obviously, didnt charge me a cent to do it either, what a champ
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

That's the old Casper air box mod from AUFalcon dot com. Not proven to provide any additional power, but you can never get too much cold air, so it's not like it would hurt.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That's the old Casper air box mod from AUFalcon dot com. Not proven to provide any additional power, but you can never get too much cold air, so it's not like it would hurt.
Yeah, I think you did something similar at the same time as well without either of us actually knowing? Never did any harm in mine but never had any significant results either.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It couldn't hurt, so anything is a gain, well done.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

i was just thinking about adding a CPU Case Fan to the Side of mine and Changing the bearings inside to give it a higher RPM , Like Fit it to the Side of the Airbox , spoke to a Physics Nerd (Cousin) and he said it would just regulate temp and it the fan wan close to the top , hot air in the box would seep out allowing more room for cald air to be sucked in under pressure

Something to Think aboot !

Daniel

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
i was just thinking about adding a CPU Case Fan to the Side of mine and Changing the bearings inside to give it a higher RPM , Like Fit it to the Side of the Airbox , spoke to a Physics Nerd (Cousin) and he said it would just regulate temp and it the fan wan close to the top , hot air in the box would seep out allowing more room for cald air to be sucked in under pressure

Something to Think aboot !

Daniel
or you could just plumb the exhaust gasses into a thing called a turbo, then have that run into your throttle body... hows that for an idea ?
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borry
or you could just plumb the exhaust gasses into a thing called a turbo, then have that run into your throttle body... hows that for an idea ?
Nah, that'd never work. You want cold air, not hot, and I'm pretty sure exhaust gasses would be hot. ROFL!.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #10
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer
Hi Guys,

Here are some pics of the CAI that i built for my XR8. I used a 90mm pipe and adapted it to the airbox. I used a heat gun to flare the tip for better airflow. It is stealthy and works very well by getting a heap of cold air from behind the headlights. I am still running the std tickford snorkel as well as it will flow enough for 300HP. Although power increases are hard to pick from a change this small I did notice the engine was slightly perkier from 3000rpm upwards. I was happy with the result so i just thought I would share the experience.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...00&ppuser=8845

Cheers
Engineer
Great,Ive got something simular and a before and after there was a small gain in Hp and as you said it can be felt on the pedal.We got around 10hp.You did a neat job.
Old 20-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
SWOOP
XRSVO

I had the same as revdup ,I found it was good but droned too much for my liking, also I played around blocking snorkel entry etc and still wasnt happy
so I went a bit further cutting 2 sides out of box and making sheilding to stop bay heat and fitted small pipe and BIG k&n to bellmouth entry
cleared the plastic from grille/headlight
had the edit retuned picked up 4-10kw (idle to 4000rpm) and more torque over the 2 hole job I had before
best of all inlet temps were low and stable and a no cost mod that got more power
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Futura01
horsepower

3" hi-temp rubber hose (expensive stuff) .DIY custom mount from throttle body running down past A/C compressor to bottom of radiator to the front of bumper intake..
Fair bit of modifications required but handy man would be able to handle such a job.
Finished off with k&N pod filter
Expect flywheel 10kw at midrange rpm ..
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
notty1978
NOTTY

i have the same thing on mine but it goes to the brake ducts in the front bar
notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #14
MIKEVYII

Excellant just like the 2hole airbox mod people do on the Holden LS1's :evil_laug Im def going to do this to My AU V8 ute. On My VYII Clubby it picked up an 5rwkw having the second hole mod on while sitting on a dyno with back to back runs.
MIKEVYII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post