Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 
Default Has anyone come across this spiel when selling a car?

Has anyone come across this spiel when selling a car?

First of all a text message is sent to my mobile (no mobile number attached) requesting I contact them by email. Which I did.

Then I got this...

Mate,thanks for the response,i would have loved to call but due to bad weather our SATphone is currently scrambled please can i know the full condition of the car as am buying it for my wife who just gave birth to a baby boy in my absentia she lives in Darwin presently,am a sailor and am currently onboard.i want to be sure if the car is still in good condition,preferably if i can get more close up picture (engine inclusive), i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of the car.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day .i will pay with the fastest and safest online payment "PayPal" so i will need you to send me your paypal email address so i can effect the payment,as i have my ANZ bank a/c attached to my paypal account.However about the pick up i will be sending my shipping company to come and pick it up and make a personal delivery for my wife in NT after have sorted out with the payment.

PS: In case you don't have a PayPal account,Its reliable fast,secure and easy to use PayPal,all you need to do is to log on to visit
www.paypal.com and register with them. When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can make the payment.Please get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the car to be picked by a pickup agent.Await your response.
Regards,
Oliver.

This has happened to me twice now!

GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
NEEDspeed

Default Re: Has anyone come across this spiel when selling a car?

Contractor driver at my work received almost a carbon copy of the reply you have while trying to sell his boat. He also had 2 or 3 more emails quite similar. I'd be pretty apprehensive about parting company with any item or money with that kind of response.

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I would be running a mile mate. If this person cannot see you in person or send a person out on his behalf, then I would say this is a scam with intent on getting all your details, where you live, the car rego, engine number etc, and then a promise of payment once the car has been picked up.

If this guy is serious, he would be organizing someone to look on his behalf. Not this crap.

Sounds very sus to me.

I would send a reply back asking for his bank details for proof of credit history and proof of identification with said naval authorities to confirm his identity is legitimate. My guess is he won't bother replying.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a scam, they are always sailors/military/overseas and don't give a good explanation for anything, pretty much a textbook example.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: Has anyone come across this spiel when selling a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP370
Has anyone come across this spiel when selling a car?

First of all a text message is sent to my mobile (no mobile number attached) requesting I contact them by email. Which I did.

Then I got this...

Mate,thanks for the response,i would have loved to call but due to bad weather our SATphone is currently scrambled please can i know the full condition of the car as am buying it for my wife who just gave birth to a baby boy in my absentia she lives in Darwin presently,am a sailor and am currently onboard.i want to be sure if the car is still in good condition,preferably if i can get more close up picture (engine inclusive), i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of the car.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day .i will pay with the fastest and safest online payment "PayPal" so i will need you to send me your paypal email address so i can effect the payment,as i have my ANZ bank a/c attached to my paypal account.However about the pick up i will be sending my shipping company to come and pick it up and make a personal delivery for my wife in NT after have sorted out with the payment.

PS: In case you don't have a PayPal account,Its reliable fast,secure and easy to use PayPal,all you need to do is to log on to visit
www.paypal.com and register with them. When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can make the payment.Please get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the car to be picked by a pickup agent.Await your response.
Regards,
Oliver.

This has happened to me twice now!
Just ignore it , certainly a shonk trying to rob you
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Scam!!!

Once they have your email address attached to your paypal they send you a forged email with a paypal header from a domain that is similar to paypal, ie pay-pal.com or pay.pal.com.

The forged email basically tells you the buyer has deposited the funds to you as well as a few hundred dollars extras for you to pass on to their "agent" via paypal again.

For somebody whos not very internet savy it will all look very convincing and as if the have paid.
The idea is that you immediately log into your genuine paypal and send off the few hundred dollars to "the agent".
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Scam. I've recieved about 3 similar ones in the last few weeks.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Have you reported this to the carsales support so they can do something about it or is something that falls out of their jurisdiction?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Scam!!!

Once they have your email address attached to your paypal they send you a forged email with a paypal header from a domain that is similar to paypal, ie pay-pal.com or pay.pal.com.

The forged email basically tells you the buyer has deposited the funds to you as well as a few hundred dollars extras for you to pass on to their "agent" via paypal again.

For somebody whos not very internet savy it will all look very convincing and as if the have paid.
The idea is that you immediately log into your genuine paypal and send off the few hundred dollars to "the agent".
Yep. Although I suspected it a scam I played along with the first one.

You are dead right.

This is when I said good bye....

Hi mate,i was just about to make the payment now when i had a little problem with the pick up agent, i got a notification from them now that they don't accept paypal. They did make me understand that the only means of payment that they accept is western union money transfer. They have as well insisted that before they can make arrangement for the pick up they will have to collect a commission fee of $940aud.

More so, I will certainly not be able to go to a western union outlet here nor a post office where I can equally get the money sent to them because I am onboard , so i wanted to ask if it was ok for me to include my pick up agent's fees in the payments I am about to send through my paypal to your bank account, my pick up agent charged $940aud plus insurance and all 'o that, pls can i include their money in the payments I want to send then after i have made the payments you will help me forward the $940aud to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, this I would have done myself and not bother you but for the fact that I am currently on sea, so after I have made the payments you will help me to send $940aud to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, I just wanted to seek your consent before going ahead with the payments.

PS:the shipping company's Head quarters is in England and any pick up fees to be paid is sent to their head quarters by the payee, so the money for pick up will be sent to their head quarters in England through western union money transfer(this can be done from any post office) or you can do it online at www.westernunion.com. .thanks
Old 13-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Have you reported this to the carsales support so they can do something about it or is something that falls out of their jurisdiction?

Just did this, after posting this thread. Now waiting for Carsales response.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Pity you can't send a trojan back when you reply email.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got plenty of scams when selling a car a couple of months ago, then i decided to write back "F*#% off you scamer". never received another one again. It is a joke how many scamers are on carsales, i got kind of annoyed that you spend the money to advertise and there is nothing they can do to protect you from this nonsense.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

unfortunately they target anyone and all it takes is perhaps less than 1% out of those 200000 cars being sold on car sales to be sucked in and it's a successful scam.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Has anyone come across this spiel when selling a car?

I got a different type of email but along the same lines
the first email from paypal saying there was unusual activity in my paypal account and wanted me to send them my paypal PINumber so they could sort it out
they said someone had hacked my account
and taken money from it
and all I had to do was reply to paypal through them and they would sort it
well I went to google and typed in paypal and entered my account and there had been no activity unusual or not for the past 2 months
so obviously a scam to get into my account
the next email from paypal said my account had been suspended and if I
gave my PINumber they would sort it all out for me
I dont think so
the things people will do
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scam ! Its weird how a name pops up in the number spot in the text message, Try and ring it back, i can guarantee it was sent of a wireless internet, i can text on my wireless and no-one can ring it back
Old 13-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
GTP 290

I find it funny that he has can access the internet on this 'ship' yet he can't get reception on his satphone lol. Google 'how to scam a scammer' there are some really good ways to get these guys out there.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Booma
The NoBoost Turbo

Its not limited to carsales..........I get these scammers while trying to sell cars on Gumtree and Ebay aswell :(

Sad times we live in
2004 mk2 BA XR6T - Winter White, De Spoilered and De Badged, 6 Speed Manual, DBA Slotted Front Rotors, King SL Front, SSL Rears, K&N Filter, F6 lower intake, Bog Stock Engine, 19" FPV Silver Argents, Hektik Black Bonnet

Strap Yourself in and Feel the G's
Booma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #18
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

scam written all over it Paul
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #19
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SCAM FOR SURE. I didnt realise these were going around so much...read a similar thread on here somewhere about this happening on ebay or something to one of the other members.

At least everyone here will be aware of it now...so no one will be sucked in
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #20
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I've recieved the same message to both my phone's over the last few days....

i just deleted them, haha
Old 14-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #21
Zero_PSI
Banned

I got that one when I was selling the EF
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #22
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

oh yeah, i havent got any cars listed f/s either...
Old 14-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #23
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised that nothing can be done to stop these scams...oh welz...
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #24
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

The ' I work on an oil rig' one also goes around quite a bit too.

I feel sorry for the people who get scammed. eBay car listings are also a big target for this scam too.
There would be people out there who don't realise that it's a scam.

Always best to ignore them. Hit delete and it's gone.
Old 14-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell him to send the money, when it clears into YOUR BANK account you will transfer the $940, easy.

But alas it is a scam that I receive 10 times everytime I sell a car. None seem to make the transfer though???
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #26
Zero_PSI
Banned

I assumed someone was just wqnting details to come knock off the car.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #27
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
I got a different type of email but along the same lines
the first email from paypal saying there was unusual activity in my paypal account and wanted me to send them my paypal PINumber so they could sort it out
they said someone had hacked my account
and taken money from it
Never leave funds in your paypal account...Paypal will never request password, PIN, etc
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #28
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I got these scam ones too, so played along for a while just for fun, then hit then with the you are a scammer, and that I will rape their mother when I find them. The response to that was priceless.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate selling his BA Ute in March got this identical letter via email after a text response to his ad
[PHP]Mate,thanks for the response,i would have loved to call but due to bad
weather our SATphone is currently scrambled .Please am buying the car
for my wife who just gave birth to a baby boy in my absentia.She lives
in Darwin presently so the car is going to be shipped to Darwin after
have sorted out with the payment.i want to be sure if the car is
still in good condition , preferably if i can get more close up
picture (engine and interior inclusive), i will not be able to come
for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of
the car.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a
sailor am presently onboard .i will pay with the fastest and safest
online payment "PayPal" so i will need you to send me your paypal
email address so i can effect the payment,as i have my ANZ bank a/c
attached to my paypal account.I will be sending my shipping company to
come and pick it up and make a personal delivery for my wife in
Darwin.

PS:In case you don't have a PayPal account,Its reliable fast,secure
and easy to use PayPal,all you need to do is to log on to visit
www.paypal.com and register with them. When you are done with the
registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal
so i can make the payment.Await your response.Cheers.

[/PHP]

So you can see that it is an oldie but a goodie! His response was even funnier,
[PHP]Dear Friend,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding my most bodacious Ford vehicle.

I am sorry for not replying earlier,but I have just traveled back from attending
the funeral of the owner of said Ford vehicle,my most esteemed uncle
Obi Wan Konabi.
He was killed by bounty hunters whilst touring his vast estate of gold mines
in the hinterland recently.
The ford vehicle was his personal transport.
He was most fastidious in the care of this Ford vehicle.

The difficult position I am in is that whilst I am located in Australia this
Ford vehicle is in the care of my great aunt Edna Everage and is
located at her residence in Waigani Papua New Guinea .
She is in the unfortunate position of having to dispose of his assets so she
can return to the care of our family here in Australia.

If you are not in a position to travel to,and,pick up the Ford vehicle from her
personally then we cannot proceed any further in this sale process.
The final cost for this vehcle is $35950 Kina,unfortunately she does not hold
any banking accounts and will only accept cash,as she has to sell all my
esteemed uncles assets,to enable her to return to the care of her family
here in Australia.

She does not trust the corrupt banking system in her adopted country.
Please only contact me further on this email address,as I believe the bounty
hunters who killed my most esteemed uncle have traced me through this
Ford vehicles advertisement,and are trying to locate my great aunt to steal
my most esteemed uncles vast fortune he has amassed, and hidden from the corrupt
banks in Papua new Guinea.

I look forward to further correspondence from you regarding the sale of this
Ford vehicle.

Luke Skywalker
[/PHP]You would have thought with all that gold and wealth kicking around he would have proceeded to find out more but he never heard from him again.

My mate has suggested that it might be fun to send them this same response as they seem to use the same bait, if you wanted to!

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell him If he works all day on a ship he doesn't need a car. And if his wife wants one she can go buy one.

Also I agree with sending the scammers stupid emails back.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post