Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
buddha
Starter Motor

Question Road Rule Theory

Just something I want to put out there for discussion, I have a theory about the road rules which seems to make sense to me, but I'm keen for anyone to point out flaws in it.

I realise the road rules are far from perfect, but my theory is this:

If 100% of road users, followed 100% of the road rules, 100% of the time, we could zero out the road toll.

What do you think?

Current Ford: 1996 EF Fairmont
Previous Fords: 1996 EF XR8 - 1995 EF Futura - 1993 WA Festiva - 1991 WA Festiva - 1979 TE Cortina
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Road Rule Theory

Impossible. Road rules do not factor in the natural surroundings like wildlife, damaged tarmac due to weather, invariable mechanical failures, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc...
Not forgetting the all time biggest yet completely ignored factor - human imcompetence

Silly topic. Just going to turn into a fracas
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

It's a nice thought but have you ever seen a copy of the road rules?
Apart from the learner book you get to pass the test.

The following link is what the actual road rules look like. Not many people will be able to remember the entire 388 pages.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...ntOpRURR09.pdf
Old 02-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

What are road rules

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha
Just something I want to put out there for discussion, I have a theory about the road rules which seems to make sense to me, but I'm keen for anyone to point out flaws in it.

If 100% of road users, followed 100% of the road rules, 100% of the time, we could zero out the road toll.

What do you think?
So following road rules will prevent mechanical failure, tyre failure, animals running across the road, trees falling, weather incidents etc etc?

Do you really believe that every accident is due to not following road rules?

Are you serious?

The real world is not like playstation......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I like the concept, but I don't believe it will zero out the road toll.

As has been said, it won't zero out accidents, however, if you read through the posts, pretty clear to see that road rules aren't very well accepted, more a conspiracy theory to make us all into sheep, and never designed for safety, blah blah blah.

Apparently 99% of people in the country know better than those who've made the rules and will therefore flout whenever they get the opportunity...

Perhaps if people were a little more idealistic, than pessimistic - the world might be a better place, but that's not going to happen any time soon either.

Sorry to burst your bubble buddy.

I'm a firm believer in that if people stopped thinking about themselves for five minutes, the world might be a better place too...but that's just me being silly.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
buddha
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Impossible. Road rules do not factor in the natural surroundings like wildlife, damaged tarmac due to weather, invariable mechanical failures, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc...
Not forgetting the all time biggest yet completely ignored factor - human imcompetence

The theory in itself requires complete competence, because it is based on the idea of perfect road users. It is not completely impossible, but massively unlikely, I will admit.

I've just set out on a couple of occasions to take a drive and follow every applicable road rule to the letter, not always easy, but definitely possible on most trips. On each of those occasions, I have arrived at my destination relaxed and happy, and I can't help but think that the roads would be a much nicer place if my theory could be put into action.

This is where we all join hands and sing Kumbaya ...

Previous Fords: 1996 EF XR8 - 1995 EF Futura - 1993 WA Festiva - 1991 WA Festiva - 1979 TE Cortina
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
buddha
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So following road rules will prevent mechanical failure, tyre failure, animals running across the road, trees falling, weather incidents etc etc?

Do you really believe that every accident is due to not following road rules?
Having worked in vehicle insurance claims, I would say 95% of accidents could have been avoided had people known and followed the rules that applied to their particular situation.

I would include most weather incidents and a fair percentage of wildlife strikes (as opposed to animals that are supposed to be restrained) amongst those, because the expectation is that people drive to the conditions. Just look at how many people refuse to slow down (or worse, actually speed up) in wet conditions, for example.

At the end of the day, my conclusion is that the theory is possible, but massively unlikely without a general attitude change by all road users.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just look at how many people refuse to slow down (or worse, actually speed up) in wet conditions, for example.

I have never met someone who Speeds up in bad weather.
Has anyone ever actually said that to you?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

Do you drive on the roads?

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

What do you think?
No, just no. This theory (please understand I'm not having a go at you, it's a theory that has been done before) is complete crap and is that "Toward Zero" rubbish that road safety authorities particularly here in WA have been trying to shove down our throats. It is some sort of Utopian dream concocted by academics that live inside a bubble and have less real world experience than they have university degrees. You can never hope to have a zero road toll.

Now road toll mitigation, we can talk about that...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would include most weather incidents and a fair percentage of wildlife strikes (as opposed to animals that are supposed to be restrained) amongst those, because the expectation is that people drive to the conditions. Just look at how many people refuse to slow down (or worse, actually speed up) in wet conditions, for example.

At the end of the day, my conclusion is that the theory is possible, but massively unlikely without a general attitude change by all road users.

While in theory, behind the desk in an insurance company office this might sound plausible, its not the case in the real world.

Explain to me how someone can drive to conditions with regards to hitting a stray roo or a stray bull/cow/horse in the middle of nowhere. This is in theory possible to do at anytime or any place because the whole country is scattered with them. Obviously, in a country area it is more likely. Does this mean that you drive around at 20kph just in case if you don't live in a capital city? Is this what you mean by driving to conditions? As I said, great theory but not quite acheveable in reality. Not if you actually want to get anywhere!

I also want to know if you have actually driven on country roads, or is your experience of driving limited to feeways and arterial roads around a large city?

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 02-05-2011 at 09:11 PM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy

Do you drive on the roads?

They probably drive the same speed all the time no matter what the weather is.

Quote:
Just look at how many people refuse to slow down (or worse, actually speed up) in wet conditions
I was talking about driving FASTER in the wet, like the OP stated

Whoever puts the most wins right? That's how forums work I believe
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
bingoTE50
Steve

If we all drive at 20 km/h ,I reckon we could do it , imagine the fuel economy .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101

Exactly right.

It just feeds into that modern Workplace Health And Safety theory that says "there's no such thing as an accident". They also say "all accidents can be prevented".
In theory, yes, I suppose they can...given perfect 20/20 hindsight and a time machine.
While we have fallible humans in charge of machinery, which is also fallible, we will have accidents, no exceptions.

The absolute best you can do is that you can try to minimise accidents, you can minimise the effects when accidents happen, but you cannot in any way eliminate them happening.

For far too long, we have been assured (sometimes openly but usually it's just implied), that all you have to do is stick to the speed limit and you'll never have an accident...no need to bother yourself concentrating on the task at hand, no need to try and become a better driver...phht, forget that, just keep to an arbitrary number on your speedo no matter the conditions and you'll be perfectly safe.

If everybody stuck to every road rule, I would lay money on accidents being about the same.

You are also assuming that the vast majority of drivers don't stick to the rules, when in fact the vast majority of drivers do stick to the rules most of the time.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I love how theory 90% (just a figure plucked from my head) of the time doesn't translate to the real world.

Too many variables involved to ever hit the target of Zero harm, this is something we are pushing at my work through out our whole organisation so I have an understanding. The only way is to push the Nanny culture that is more prevelant in our society today, the only way this will ever be possible is for computers to control our road network and vehicles on it.

We don't live in a perfect world and we can never expect too, if we all followed the rules and laws to the letter, the guvment would have no revenue and we wouldn't need police, lawyers, judges,courts and prisons, do you realise how many people would be out of jobs. In reality the guvment would not want this.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Big brother speed control and active cruise control is coming, park assist is here.....

I think all the joy of driving is slowly being sucked out of me by nanny tech and regulations...
The day they control the accelerator, brake and steering wheel is they day i take the bus.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They probably drive the same speed all the time no matter what the weather is.

I was talking about driving FASTER in the wet, like the OP stated

Whoever puts the most wins right? That's how forums work I believe
Just how long and where have you actually been driving Ben?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just how long and where have you actually been driving Ben?
What has that got to do with the topic at hand?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What has that got to do with the topic at hand?
Probably because if you haven't seen people speeding up when it's wet...you're either blind or very green when it comes to driving...

Just as a guess...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #21
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Nice to meet you

edit: I had to speed up or I wouldn't have been able to get the truck sideways
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saying someone is "Speeding up" when it's wet is a very broad statement.

Speeding up from what?

A stop?
Faster then they usually go?
Faster then the speed limit?
Faster then what is safe for the conditions?

The post I quoted said it is bad when people don't slow down in the wet, but even worse when people speed up.
So the way I took it was this poster was saying they know of people who deliberately drive faster then they normally would when it is wet.

Then I made a passing comment saying who actually drives faster when it is wet. Some people don't slow down, but actually drive faster? Can't say I have ever seen proof of that.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
66GT

Just a theory but how about scrapping all cars, trucks etc as we kow them & swap them for either (solar powered) dodgem cars or the (inflatable) bubble car from the (******) in the TV add.

The dodgem car would allow the scrapping of all current road rules (including drink driving), your 4 year old could drive to school by himself. No need for insurance as the big bumpers mean no damage. Road rage marsters go your hardest - noone would care. Police could be reemployed as the guy who jumps on the back & assists you when you get out of control & could also double up as a GPS.

The bubble car would be great for saving the accicential animal strike such as roos, cows & predestrians. Again no need for insurance as only minimal damage could occur from loosing control of you pimped up bubble beast - what with turbo charged door handles, high compression tail lights & twin tank NOS air conditioning (gotta laugh getting out of your burst bubble after a ride like this).

No rules, no damage, no insurance, no speed cameras, nothing. Just sit back enjoy the drive. Just a theory, but maybe one day ........
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
Fireblade
Wizard Member

^^^ ^^^
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Some people don't slow down, but actually drive faster? Can't say I have ever seen proof of that.
lend me a truck, something like a slide bed or tilt tray will do and I'll provide for you
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Saying someone is "Speeding up" when it's wet is a very broad statement.

Speeding up from what?

A stop?
Faster then they usually go?
Faster then the speed limit?
Faster then what is safe for the conditions?

The post I quoted said it is bad when people don't slow down in the wet, but even worse when people speed up.
So the way I took it was this poster was saying they know of people who deliberately drive faster then they normally would when it is wet.

Then I made a passing comment saying who actually drives faster when it is wet. Some people don't slow down, but actually drive faster? Can't say I have ever seen proof of that.
The one thing that is for sure is that you have not seen everyone and people do the strangest things.

I was once travelling on the old road from Sydney city to the airport in the pouring rain, 80 in a 60 zone trying to catch a plane and was overtaken by a cement truck doing at least 100.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The one thing that is for sure is that you have not seen everyone and people do the strangest things.

I was once travelling on the old road from Sydney city to the airport in the pouring rain, 80 in a 60 zone trying to catch a plane and was overtaken by a cement truck doing at least 100.
Yeah but that cement truck driver is probably an idiot all the time, not just in the rain.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #28
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Yeah but that cement truck driver is probably an idiot all the time, not just in the rain.
Because he is driving a cement truck?
Maybe he aint as thick as his load.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what do you need as proof?

A youtube account showing every single time somebody drives?
A facebook page with all the friends taking pics?
Or a twitter account updated by everyone who is on the same road?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with part of the "logic" you are using is that if it is absolutely bucketing down and someone is doing 100kph in a 100kph zone they are absolutely, totally, precisely "obeying the rules".
Is it foolish? Yes. Is it inadvisable? Definately. But is it actually illegal? Nope. I would like to see an insurance claim turned down because someone had been doing the speed limit but lost control in the wet...opening a legal can of worms there by making a vast amount of assumptions.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post