Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Forgotten Models.

I just had this thought driving the other day, and it stuck with me for a couple of days.

Theres a lot of cars that just sort of fade away from people's attention.

What sparked it, was seeing a VY Commodore. Sure theres thousands of them on the road. But it was the reasons why the VY and VZ are so forgettable.

The VT and then the VX were smash hits. Total game changers in the late 1990s. At that point in time, the AU was a horrible example of a Falcon from a styling point of view.

The AU was too well known for all the wrong reasons, The BA put the Falcon back on the map, then one upped it with the BA mkII and the BF and finally, the FG.

By 2007, it had all changed again for the Commodore, the VE was introduced and a huge who-haa was made about the thing, it reinvented the Commodore and made every model prior look old. The VY VZ years became the transition period for the Commodore, and were completely forgettable.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I don't agree, I think the VE made the VZ look 100x better.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VY looked good, until you drove it. By far the worst car I have ever owned.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

snake pliskin, now that you mention it i have to agree with everything you said mate.

though you might get the AU mob fired up, even from a styling point of view if you know what I mean ;-)
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Sample
Starter Motor

im sure ford would like to forget the AU
Sample is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't say the AU was a horrible example of styling. At the time, the AU was too "out there" for most people, including me. Sure, it was a massive departure from the well-proportioned and even graceful E-series, but it's aged brilliantly. I've really come to like the AU styling, and I love the way they harked back to the XY with little styling touches. By comparison, the VT/VX looks to me like a blown up Hyundai Excel, even though I preferred it back then.

You are dead on the money about the VY being a forgettable car though. It was a decade behind the BA tech-wise and the sheet metal and styling changes from the VX were very slap-dash. I'd say it would be more of an equal competitor to the AU/AU2.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample
im sure ford would like to forget the AU
Cheers :( I have an AU... actually about to ditch it and replace with a company car - a Rukus none the less.

Most forgettable model, I think is a Holden - the HB Torana. Who even knew it was built?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

The AU was a car that Ford Australia was forced into styling wise. The hurried styling is evident and it is testament to them for fixing it towards the end. I still love the TE50, the XR utes and that wonderful stroked motor. They showed the models full potential but then came the BA...wow.

What I would like to see however is the original concepts for the Falcon before the styling was changed to the edge design. Would be interesting to see what the AU could have been.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I just had this thought driving the other day, and it stuck with me for a couple of days.

There's a lot of cars that just sort of fade away from people's attention.
Sadly, FG Series II seems to be going that way...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Sadly, FG Series II seems to be going that way...
ha...why is that? EB and diesel not good enough? Oh LILPG?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about the 4 cyl VB commodore & in not talking about the 6 or 8's that run on 4 cyl's lol
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
What I would like to see however is the original concepts for the Falcon before the styling was changed to the edge design. Would be interesting to see what the AU could have been.
There's a book I read one time, True Blue: 75 Years of Ford in Australia by Bill Tuckey - and in it there is a picture of a half and half full size clay model of the two finalist AU designs - I think I preferred the one they didn't go with, and I'm an AU lover.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The AU might not have been everyones cuppa tea but heck it was (and still is) a fantastic Aussie car. Robust, strong and capable of heavy abuse, it has certainly aged well and still gets looks in the XR versions and tickfords especially. I think everyone who bags it out needs to get over the past and remember what was good about it.

As for forgotten models? VR commodore in my opinion. They are almost as nondescript as camrys and corollas.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire

Theres a lot of cars that just sort of fade away from people's attention.

What sparked it, was seeing a VY Commodore. Sure theres thousands of them on the road. But it was the reasons why the VY and VZ are so forgettable.

The VT and then the VX were smash hits. Total game changers in the late 1990s. At that point in time, the AU was a horrible example of a Falcon from a styling point of view.

The AU was too well known for all the wrong reasons, The BA put the Falcon back on the map, then one upped it with the BA mkII and the BF and finally, the FG.

By 2007, it had all changed again for the Commodore, the VE was introduced and a huge who-haa was made about the thing, it reinvented the Commodore and made every model prior look old. The VY VZ years became the transition period for the Commodore, and were completely forgettable.
I disagree. In my opinion, the VY and VZ Commodores look much nicer than both the VT/VX (which are far too bland for my tastes) and VE (which simply does not work). As well as this, the interior quality of the VE Commodore is a significant downgrade from that of the VY and VZ Commodores.

The AU Falcon is a fine car. It's a shame that the public didn't recognise it as such. Surprisingly, I even prefer the styling to that of the VT Commodore.

Last edited by 4.0i OHC; 01-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The AU when first released was a shock and public opinion reflected this.
The one thing AU had on its side was build quality and reliability when compared to the fashionable VT.

When you look at the shape of the rear of the FG, taillight shape, rounded boot, you can see where the AU was 10yrs ahead of its time, had Ford released the FG in 98 i believe it too would have failed.

The VT styling was spot on for its era and the whole package flowed, i was never fond of the tear drop lights or the rear bar which looked like the reflectors were a forgotten extra on the VX.
The VY/Z however always seemed wrong with the chiseled ends on the round VT body.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
ha...why is that? EB and diesel not good enough? Oh LILPG?
Yes but when, first quarter, second quarter or third quarter?

Down to 2,000 odd sales and lots of unplanned down days when sales were going up earlier this year,
not sure what has changed but I feel glum especially when hearing delays on new Tech
Ecoboost and LILPG may not turn up until Q3.....

Don't beat me up but I have a feeling that Ford has taken far too long with diesel Territory,
can't help feeling that some permanent die back is happening with Falcon and Territory...

God I hope not.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
The AU might not have been everyones cuppa tea but heck it was (and still is) a fantastic Aussie car. Robust, strong and capable of heavy abuse, it has certainly aged well and still gets looks in the XR versions and tickfords especially. I think everyone who bags it out needs to get over the past and remember what was good about it.

As for forgotten models? VR commodore in my opinion. They are almost as nondescript as camrys and corollas.
I agree with everything you said. My grandfather, who has owned Fords almost all his life, says that his 1999 Futura is the best car he's ever owned. It has done approximately 225000 kilometres, and not a single thing has gone wrong with it.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
I disagree. In my opinion, the VY and VZ Commodores look much nicer than both the VT/VX (which are far too bland for my tastes) and VE (which simply does not work). As well as this, the interior quality of the VE Commodore is a significant downgrade from that of the VY and VZ Commodores.

The AU Falcon is a fine car. It's a shame that the public didn't recognise it as such. Surprisingly, I even prefer the styling to that of the VT Commodore.
You know I sometimes wonder if FoA had been given a bit more freedom with AU
whether they would have lead with something like Series III nose and BA tail...

Things might have been completely different...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Being a Ford fan, its hard to see how our cars could be forgotten. But the older they get, the easier it is to forget. Ive come up with a few:

- Holden Camira (Wheels Car 1985 I think)
- Mitsubishi/Chrysler Sigma
- Ford Corsair & Meteor
- Various Holdenwoo models: epica, cruze (the first one), Viva, Zafira.
- That diesel gemini...
- Ford Probe (looked awesome, and that was it)

Models id like to forget:

- VE Commodore (An astra after eating only maccas for 10 years)
- EA Falcon, mainly for the shocking engine & gearbox choices
- Corolla & Camry, single-handedly responsible for the mundane, A to B motoring society we have today
- FPVs sticker specials. Can we get on with the job properly please?

Im sure theres plenty more out there......
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #20
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the VY/VZ HSV Clubsport were beautiful as were the WK/WL statesman and caprice. The AU was a shock to every one when released but they are so good to drive and the xr6/8's look brilliant
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Being a Ford fan, its hard to see how our cars could be forgotten. But the older they get, the easier it is to forget. Ive come up with a few:

- Ford Corsair & Meteor
- That diesel gemini...

- Corolla & Camry, single-handedly responsible for the mundane, A to B motoring society we have today

Beat me to it! Think it was called a zz/z or something like that???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #22
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah there was a ZZ/Z sport variant of the gemini but it wasn't diesel. There was however a diesel SL gemini.

This article goes to show that if you drive an old heap of junk around for long enough a new heap of junk seems great by comparison
Old 02-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #23
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
I wouldn't say the AU was a horrible example of styling. At the time, the AU was too "out there" for most people, including me. Sure, it was a massive departure from the well-proportioned and even graceful E-series, but it's aged brilliantly. I've really come to like the AU styling, and I love the way they harked back to the XY with little styling touches. By comparison, the VT/VX looks to me like a blown up Hyundai Excel, even though I preferred it back then.

You are dead on the money about the VY being a forgettable car though. It was a decade behind the BA tech-wise and the sheet metal and styling changes from the VX were very slap-dash. I'd say it would be more of an equal competitor to the AU/AU2.
+1. I loved (and still do) the fact that the styling on the AU was/is so out there. It's as if, on today's roads they are a separate, more extreme species of smaller Falcon to the FG. To look at the Mercedes CLS, you can see the AU's common design themes, again, a very striking car.

Personally I won't forget the AU, might even try to shed and retire an upper spec or XR version (how's the AUI XR body kit? Wild!) As a result of the sales, I don't think Ford (or Holden, who were watching) will ever try a mainstream product as 'out there' as the AU again. Pity but understandable.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #24
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not the KE20 and KE25 Corollas though, they were classics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85

- Ford Corsair & Meteor
- That diesel gemini...

trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #25
Mr Hardware

Bent 8 you're dead on the money and mick 1010, the VY really was an equal for the AU2/3 apart from the dash. I had a VYII as a fleet car many moons ago and whilst it was thoroughly agricultural, at least it had throttle response, something the VZ that replaced it sorely lacked.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #26
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too respect Ford releasing the AU. At least they were bold and willing to do something different. Come up with some real creativity and difference to the rest of the manufacturers (especially Holden)

Now days I think they don't have the same initiative or boldness. I say this mainly with the FG in my mind and think they have just conformed with the rest of the market.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #27
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Not the KE20 and KE25 Corollas though, they were classics!
Agreed, they were standouts.

As for the 1.4 million km Gemini, this guy (and Autoblog) needs to be introduced to the AU....

Last edited by SSD-85; 02-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #28
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8

The VY/Z however always seemed wrong with the chiseled ends on the round VT body.
Even Holden admitted at the time that the design was compromised, but with 400,000 VT/VXs on the road Holden knew that new and existing customers needed it to look as different as possible, hence the awkward tapered and chiseled ends against the round body.

The VY update also made the Commodore look smaller and lighter, and thanks to dumb luck this was just as fuel prices were jumping, against the just-released BA which looked larger and heavier than the identically sized AU.

VY and VZ will never win design awards, but its sales win over the much improved BA shows it was a success.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #29
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marketing wise, I think Mazda takes the cake.

323 - no one wants it
drop the 23 and now every woman and her purse wants a mazda 3
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #30
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

the one car that stands out in my mind was the au coupe concept called the 'arrow'. that's what made me want an au. awesome looking car.
on the holden issue, i think the vt-vx were the best models. yeah there holdens, but they've got LS1's in the ss models. god they sound excellent.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post