Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb New FoA boss arrives

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-arrives-22836

Quote:
If the pace of the past week is a guide, the new boss of Ford Australia, Robert Graziano, is a man on a mission.

Fresh from a whirlwind trip between Melbourne, China and Detroit to finalise his relocation, Graziano flew to Adelaide to meet with local press at the launch of the updated Fiesta small car last night – within his first 48 hours in the top job. Another indication he intends to hit the ground running, the new president and CEO of Ford Australia was due to return to Melbourne this morning to meet with the Ford dealer council.

"There's not much I can tell you at this stage as I've only just had my feet under the desk for 48 hours," Graziano said during a brief and informal welcoming address over dinner.

"But, as you can imagine, I'm very happy to be here and I'm keen to get across the local industry as quickly as possible."

Graziano said he was aware that Australia was one of the most competitive new-car markets in the world.

"I'm well aware of what some of our challenges and opportunities are. We have a big year ahead with a lot of new model activity."

Ford's market share slipped to 9 per cent in November, but this was largely due to delayed shipments of the Fiesta and Focus small cars, the company said.

Ford is expected to launch at least six significant new models over the next 12 months, including a facelifted Territory (which will also be available with a much anticipated diesel engine), the all-new Ranger ute, four-cylinder and new LPG versions of the Falcon sedan, and the third-generation Focus small car late in the year.

Graziano comes to Australia after three years as the head of Ford's three joint venture operations in China. Before that he was exposed to the Australian market via his role as a senior executive at Mazda.

After being driven by a chauffeur (there are restrictions on foreigners driving in China) for the last three years, Graziano said he was glad to be behind the wheel again. His company car is Ford's top-of-the-line G6E Turbo.

"It's great to be driving again. I've been getting up early just to drive the car."

After studying at Iowa University, the former Detroiter has clocked up 28 years with the Ford Motor Company and is the son of a 34-year Ford veteran.

"He left when I started, I'm not sure what to interpret from that," he said candidly.

Graziano is the second-youngest of seven children and he and his wife have five children.

He describes himself as a fan of motorsport and an avid follower of NASCAR, and expressed disappointment that the Ford-driving V8 Supercar champion for 2010, James Courtney, was defecting to Holden next year.

The self-confessed revhead learned to drive in a 1976 Mustang and, perhaps a sign of things to come, his first car was a Ford Futura. Unlike later versions of the local Falcon Futura, his 1980s North American Futura was powered by a 302 V8.

Graziano says he will spend the Christmas/New Year break getting relocated, ready to return to the office before Ford's Broadmeadows and Geelong production lines start up again on January 17 (the same factory start-up date as Holden).

Graziano is the fourth boss of Ford Australia in three years. His predecessor, Geelong-born Marin Burela, who led Ford Australia for two years, was transferred to a senior role at the Ford-Mazda joint venture in China in November.

Graziano's counterpart at Holden, fellow Detroiter Mike Devereux, is the fifth boss of Holden in four years.
About time we heard a little something from this fella. I particularly liked the quotes

Quote:
His company car is Ford's top-of-the-line G6E Turbo.

"It's great to be driving again. I've been getting up early just to drive the car."
and

Quote:
The self-confessed revhead learned to drive in a 1976 Mustang and, perhaps a sign of things to come, his first car was a Ford Futura.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Shame we lost Burela. Another American here as boss, atleast he seems to be a car enthuasist of sorts.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

But timing for the switch. At least of those should have been around to be present for the spoils at the end of the V8 championship. Burela was the one to have brought DJR back under corporate sponsorship - he should have been there.

Lukeyson
Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Well he likes cars so that's always a good sign.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

They all say that thought don't they?

Lukeyson
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

At this point in time, I would like to look at it from a glass-half-full perspective. Being into motorsport and performance cars is always a good sign.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any man that gets up early to drive a G6ET is on the right track in my book...then again I'm slightly biased.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
At this point in time, I would like to look at it from a glass-half-full perspective. Being into motorsport and performance cars is always a good sign.
Exactly. Give the guy a chance. He might be an American, but some of the best periods in the Classic Falcon Era were overseen by Americans. It isn't all doom and gloom, and there was more to the decision to replace Burela than met the eye.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Exactly. Give the guy a chance. He might be an American, but some of the best periods in the Classic Falcon Era were overseen by Americans. It isn't all doom and gloom, and there was more to the decision to replace Burela than met the eye.
Care to elaborate or is that just a quip.

Curious to know.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
rodderz

Didnt dealers vote a no confidance in Burella?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

I'll give him a chance, but if the last couple of Americans are anything to go by, I'm not sure I like the sound of this.

time will tell, and I'll give him that.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
They did.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder what he thought of them, lol?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Wonder what he thought of them, lol?

My guess is that he didnt like them. He produced cars that he knew they couldnt sell and he continually slowed down Broadmeadows production so they didnt have cars to sell. Burella really stuck it up those dealers.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish him luck. With some of the best cars in Australia wearing Ford badges, you'd think his job would be simple. But Mr. Smith down the road thinks his Holden Epica is Australian made because 'It has a Holden badge.' In that case, he's going to need more than our well wishes and luck to help Ford Australia float...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
My guess is that he didnt like them. He produced cars that he knew they couldnt sell and he continually slowed down Broadmeadows production so they didnt have cars to sell. Burella really stuck it up those dealers.

Production was at 270 a day when Gorman was the chief.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #17
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I wish him luck. With some of the best cars in Australia wearing Ford badges, you'd think his job would be simple. But Mr. Smith down the road thinks his Holden Epica is Australian made because 'It has a Holden badge.' In that case, he's going to need more than our well wishes and luck to help Ford Australia float...
I often equate owning a Ford to finding a nice lady but having a terrible mother-in-law. Love the product, but hate the manufacturer.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Well I'll comment more within a year but whether or not he is a car fanatic doesn't mean too much to me, though it is a bonus.

For me, the CEO needs to be be able to direct the company in a positive direction.
He/She need not take silly risks or be to complacent in the car game.

I'd like to see the new CEO try and promote Ford AU as Ford not as a Falcon company. Put the effort into all of the products in the range. Each product is good enough to be in the pointy end of its market it just needs encouragement. Whether that is via a change in the perception of the company or not I do not know.

I say goodluck to him and wish Ford AU all the best.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But he also ripped through some dealers as well, it was quite well known that he had a go at the local dealer here in Geelong.

The man oozed passion and I for one was devastated to see him go. I will give the new fella a chance to prove himself but will always feel we were short changed losing Burela so early.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
But he also ripped through some dealers as well, it was quite well known that he had a go at the local dealer here in Geelong
Really...well that was a l-o-n-g time coming and would have bought tickets to watch...
Old 09-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #21
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That would get him a win with customers then.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear someone thats running an auto-company actually is into cars. I can't wait to see what he can do for us and FordAus!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Care to elaborate or is that just a quip.

Curious to know.

Wait for a Wiki-leaks thing on it then.

Quote: