Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #31
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My falcon is a dream to sit in compaired to my dad's mazda3 (even though my car in 5 year older) which i get a sore back from driving on long trips never had such an issue with my falcon
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #32
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Im a keg equipped 5'11" and have no issues in my AU. Which apparently has the worst seat clearance in Falcons. B-series were the same. The only crumpledoor ive cared to drive was a VE, and found it a monumental effort against gravity to get out of by comparison (but im not the fittest example of a man either).
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #33
MexicanBatman
Banned

33rd reply and still no measurements..

I can't as my car is on holiday

Best Aussie car I've owned for comfort was my magna/verada (leather interior xi spec model) the 2nd most comfortable car I've owned was my 1991 Toyota soarer leather etc... Then the FG G6E would have to be 3rd out of the cars I've owned...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #34
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Funny how everyone measures their height in feet and inches in this metric age. I'm 5'10", and have my seat as low as possible, with the front of the cushion tilted up a bit to get more leg support. The steering wheel is adjusted downward so I can just see the top of the revs and speedo under the rim of the wheel, and I dont have any problem getting in or out.
With the manual though, I found that the gearchange was a little too far back with respect to the steering wheel, so I now have the steering wheel slid back as far as it will go so its level with the gearknob. The seat is then further back as well (and a little lower again), but my leg can easily still fully depress the clutch.
The end result is a driving position thats a little different (bit like a V8 supercar I suppose) but very comfy and easier to change gears, once used to it. Perhaps other FG owners can try this more rearward steering wheel/seat position if they are not happy.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon seat is too high and steering wheel too low. One can get used to it but as I don't drive a Falcon often i notice it .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #36
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

i prefer the BF seating position to the FG.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #37
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro xr
Funny how everyone measures their height in feet and inches in this metric age. I'm 5'10", and have my seat as low as possible, with the front of the cushion tilted up a bit to get more leg support. The steering wheel is adjusted downward so I can just see the top of the revs and speedo under the rim of the wheel, and I dont have any problem getting in or out.
With the manual though, I found that the gearchange was a little too far back with respect to the steering wheel, so I now have the steering wheel slid back as far as it will go so its level with the gearknob. The seat is then further back as well (and a little lower again), but my leg can easily still fully depress the clutch.
The end result is a driving position thats a little different (bit like a V8 supercar I suppose) but very comfy and easier to change gears, once used to it. Perhaps other FG owners can try this more rearward steering wheel/seat position if they are not happy.

I'm 5'10" and you've pretty much described exactly how I have mine set up . I can do ( and have done ) 10 hours straight and get out fresh as a daisy .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro xr

In V8 super car driving position is steering wheel set high ,seat is low and close to the steering wheel.
Same with rally cars.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #39
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing I've noted is the number of ppl saying steering wheel to low,isn't it a pity we can't swap wheels for an after market smaller one. Like we used to be able to do not all that long ago.
What with airbags and controls on the wheel now it makes it a bit hard.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #40
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
One thing I've noted is the number of ppl saying steering wheel to low,isn't it a pity we can't swap wheels for an after market smaller one. Like we used to be able to do not all that long ago.
What with airbags and controls on the wheel now it makes it a bit hard.

When I say it's to low, I mean my hands sit to low when driving, getting in/out is not an issue. something an aftermarket wheel would not fix.
BTW, have you seem some/most of the aftermarket wheels out there these days...
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #41
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
When I say it's to low, I mean my hands sit to low when driving, getting in/out is not an issue. something an aftermarket wheel would not fix.
BTW, have you seem some/most of the aftermarket wheels out there these days...
Ah,ok gotchya,no haven't really looked at the after market stuff for ages but I will now.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #42
prydey
Rob

nitro, very similar to mine. i moved the base of the seat to its lowest and then tilt it up at the front for leg support. i adjust the seat on the rails so that my legs can easily reach the pedals in a relaxed style. then i adjust the back rest and steering wheel to suit. with mine i've had to pull the steering wheel out toward me so that my arms aren't outstretched.

speaking of arms, do people drive with arms outstretched? personally (no offense to anyone) i think this looks retarded and is actually wrong as well. most driving instructors, race drivers etc will tell you to have your elbows fairly bent. your wrists should rest on the top of the wheel when you are sitting properly in your seat.

i'm starting to think that the falcon is harder to get comfortable in for smaller people as all those who are around 1.83m (6') seem to be ok. as you get closer to the wheel, you need more height adjustment. big car designed for big people?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #43
falcon convert

This thread is an interesting read and demonstrates just how much of a personal thing seat comfort is. Some people sling there seat as low as it can go - that's comfort for them. Others (like me) crank it up as high as it can go - and that's comfort for them. Then there are personal preferences for:
- the amount of bolstering
- the degree of lumbar support
- the relationship between the seat and the wheel
- the relationship between the seat and the windows
- the relationship between the seat, the wheel and the instrument pod.

All this demonstrates that the big challenge for car makers is to build in as much flexibility and adjustability as possible - because we're all different
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #44
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I find my EL crapped at times, my knees always rub on the steering wheel, the only car I've owned that has more room than i no what to do with is my Patrol
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #45
XPfalcon170

from what ive experienced, even amongst(?) ba/f ranges, the seats are different settings. I am 5,11 and rather portly and i have the habit of putting the seat down as low as possible in every car i drive or sit in. I also like to have the steering wheel adjust as high as possible and extened out as far as it goes

what i have noticed so far are;

- el seats are higher than the ef ones
- Au seats are lower, the steering seems to have better adjustment, and, for me, gives me a most favourable driving position of all the post ef falcons
- ve commodore has the best seat and steering adjustment of all the cars i have driven
- Au rear seat is far better suited to taller people, being atleast, what feels like 2-3 inches lower compared to bseries
- bseries full cloth trim seats and leather/cloth xr seats are my prefered bseries seat as they sit the lowest
- bseries full leather and fpv premium seats sit far too high for my personal preference
- Fg is just higher again, and to me is approaching dreaded camry spec
- Bseries steering wheel is too chunky and small for my dainty hands, but reach is acceptable
- Fg steering adjustment, for me, i disapprove. Far too little adjustment

that is just some of my observastions ive come across
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #46
66 STANG

I've had a couple of BA XR's and the seating positions have been great (I'm 6'4"). I now have a BAII Super Pursuit Ute with the GTP seats, and they are set way too high. There is not enough adjustment to get them low enough so I can actually see the traffic lights while waiting at an intersection without ducking under the tint band at the top of the windscreen. I think it is the extra adjustment motors in the seat base that does this. I managed to fix the problem by fitting a set of XR6 seats and storing the SP seats so that when I go to sell the ute, the new owners will get "as new" seats!

I found generally the "GT" seats are way more comfortable than the "GTP" seats, but most Falcon seats and adjustments are fine for the bigger guys.
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #47
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have not spent any great amount of time in FG but I have found since the release of BA that the seating position is too high. Also the lack of drivers foot rest on BA/BF is one of the great annoyances.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #48
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Also the lack of drivers foot rest on BA/BF is one of the great annoyances.
Had a footrest in my BA Ghia per this thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=101238
Worked really well, and removed it when I traded the car, with a view of installing it in the FG maybe. For some reason perhaps its not so necessary on the FG.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #49
Jesmol

Previous car to my FG XR6 was a Golk MkV GTI. This car had the best seating and adjustability out of any car I've ever had .

For me its taken a while but I'm pretty used to the too hig setas on a FG. The VE seat are definitely lower , in relation to the Dash and Door trim.

Funny thing is the parts used to make all the the frame mount are very similar, so I suspect the issue is more fllor pan related than anything, ie the seat is fine, they just didn't design the floor tub deep enough.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #50
DIXXR6
Starter Motor

I'm a mere 5' 11" with short legs and arms and I loved the driving position in my BF XR6, the FG XR6 is more comfortable than the BF the only whinge I have is I have to have the seat a little bit higher than the BF as they seem to have forgotten to put seat belt height adjusters in the FG Utilities?

Dick
DIXXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #51
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Never take what Motor mag say for word I love both Au Bf and Fg positions and drove a Ve don't really see the huge difference advantage etc..

Although will add my Au is most comfortable.
Old 13-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #52
old_mate
Smash the Boost

My Dad has a AU, and when I had my EL i noticed the driving position was a little high. Not uncomfortable, i just wanted the wheel to come up higher. Then I got a BA wagon and I absolutely hated the driving position. Sat way, way to high, steering wheel was way to low, i detested it. Hired a FG for a week last year and same sort of thing again, it sort of felt a little better but i think that was more illusion because the console was so high.

I test drove a few XR8's, XR6T's, GT's and such when I bought the crewman and to be honest, I love the driving position of the VZ, I feel like im 'in' the car rather than 'on' the car and the steering wheel is right where i want it.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I can see where you are coming from, the commodores at work have a better seat height than my B series that I have owned.

Personally I do not think the mags are being particularly biased in this point, the falcon has had an unusually high seat height for many years now.
Old 13-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #54
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
FG, once behind the wheel and adjusted, is quite comfortable - however, at 6'4" and 120kg I almost have to dislocate my left knee to get in behind the wheel.......the primary reason I will keep driving my AU rather than trade on a FG......
Rings true for me too. The seating position in my BA was great but in the FG you just can't get the steering wheel high enough for long-legged individuals like myself. I always bang my legs on it although once your in the car and adjusted its great - getting out though is still a leg banger.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post