Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Any property gurus?

Looking to make an entry in to the property market at the moment, as I've just finished taking care of some debts for the old lady. I don't want to make the same mistakes Mother dear did and end up owing a fortune on something that I'll make a loss on or no benefit in the future. She had a failed business venture for which she mortgaged the house.

Anyways I have about $400k to spend, and I will (technically, long story) have a deposit of around $80k (20%, to avoid LMI).

I have three options that I am considering. I really am looking to move out of the family home ASAP and my ideal location is Inner East of Melbourne (Toorak, Prahran, South Yarra, Richmond etc.).

Option 1: Buy a 1 bedroom modern apartment in the above-mentioned areas for around $370k (if I wait long enough I can find one for that I reckon). Cons with that is that you have no land value, will be paying body corporate and in future it won't appreciate the same as something with a bit of land value (or so I'm told).

Option 2: Obviously $370-400k doesn't buy much out there, so I was thinking I could just buy a property out near where I live (outer East, Lilydale area), move the old lady in to that, rent the old property (current house) out and that would cover most of the mortgage and the rest I'd put in from my pocket. Then I'd rent in the area I want to live I'm told the old adage goes "Buy where you can afford and rent where you want to live". I can't see any cons with this, except for the fact I'd be paying rent and a little for a mortgage - and I may have trouble to find a property in my price range.

Option 3: A friend has offered to buy a commercial property with me so we can tinker with cars etc. there. That'd be a good entry in to the real estate market and to obviously build equity off so that I can buy more property in future. Cons, unsure..

What are your thoughts guys? Bit confused as to which is the most productive path.

Any good forums or websites or reads anyone can link me to?

Thanks.

FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Any property gurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Looking to make an entry in to the property market at the moment, as I've just finished taking care of some debts for the old lady. I don't want to make the same mistakes Mother dear did and end up owing a fortune on something that I'll make a loss on or no benefit in the future. She had a failed business venture for which she mortgaged the house.

Anyways I have about $400k to spend, and I will (technically, long story) have a deposit of around $80k (20%, to avoid LMI).

I have three options that I am considering. I really am looking to move out of the family home ASAP and my ideal location is Inner East of Melbourne (Toorak, Prahran, South Yarra, Richmond etc.).

Option 1: Buy a 1 bedroom modern apartment in the above-mentioned areas for around $370k (if I wait long enough I can find one for that I reckon). Cons with that is that you have no land value, will be paying body corporate and in future it won't appreciate the same as something with a bit of land value (or so I'm told).

Option 2: Obviously $370-400k doesn't buy much out there, so I was thinking I could just buy a property out near where I live (outer East, Lilydale area), move the old lady in to that, rent the old property (current house) out and that would cover most of the mortgage and the rest I'd put in from my pocket. Then I'd rent in the area I want to live I'm told the old adage goes "Buy where you can afford and rent where you want to live". I can't see any cons with this, except for the fact I'd be paying rent and a little for a mortgage - and I may have trouble to find a property in my price range.

Option 3: A friend has offered to buy a commercial property with me so we can tinker with cars etc. there. That'd be a good entry in to the real estate market and to obviously build equity off so that I can buy more property in future. Cons, unsure..

What are your thoughts guys? Bit confused as to which is the most productive path.

Any good forums or websites or reads anyone can link me to?

Thanks.
For your first step into property I'd go resi first before commercial. Your option 3 example you would get no income if you used it for personal use (doing up cars etc) which means it will be difficulty to service the debt

If your buying with the view to eventually live in after a period of renting it, buy in an area you would like to live. If not then do some research on areas with growth potential.

Option 2 you have a problem with renting your current place as you would not get a tax break on your loan interest as the loan is used to buy a place for your "old lady" rather than the place to be rented.

The 1 bed appartment seems like a good option if bought in a growth area. I wouldn't worry too much about no land, although a house does generally appreciate more all other things being equal.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Any property gurus?

commercial property traditionally gives a lower return than residential tenant type property so residential tenant property would be better option. if you feel adventurous you could try get into 2 different properties
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

It isn't just land that appreciates, a property will increase in value if the (notional) amount paid for rental increases.

I like to keep it simple for your first. Have a careful look at the real body corporate fees, avoiding a property with a lift is a good idea.

Give some thought to Stratum (or Company) Title. This involves your purchasing shares in the company that owns the property for the right to occupy a unit in the complex. It is a an early form of strata title, most of the deposit taking lenders will go to 80%, mortgage insurance is generally not available. You should get more for your money in this type of property BUT DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

Good article here: http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...815-2rxix.html

This research should include a pre approval for finance via your bank or broker, make it specific for company share if you want to go down that path.

Relying on information on car related forums for big purchases is fraught with danger. Use this forum to get ideas, but don't rely on it in the absence of proper, professional advice.

In regard to option 3, all partnerships fail, I would suggest you go it alone.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 12-12-2013 at 07:09 PM.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:

Thanks.
Don't forget your purchase costs either, spending $400k, a first home buyer will spend about $14k after your conveyancing, rate adjustments and insurance are factored in. This is in addition to your 20% equity to avoid LMI.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
xrsprint94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: By a mile some of, if not the best information provided on high power ZF cars. 

Whats stamp duty on 400k mate? First home owners grant?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Not bad areas toorak, south yarra & richmond, but a nightmare to park ones car. Parking is always taken on streets, finding a place with a car port is rare as hens teeth.

Just a feindly warning. I know because i lived in prahran since 1972 to middle this year "2013".

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No experience myself, just a wealth of knowledge from the experience of friends and acquaintances. Buy land that can be subdivided. You can get a 3 bedroom home in Frankston North for example for $270000. Subdivide it (the council in Frankston are encouraging growth) and put a unit or townhouse on the rear block, renovate the 3 bedroom. A Considerable return. And 400k isn't too far off the final costs for all this. Frankston was better 2yrs ago however. The same sudvide principle can apply to anywhere just find the best area at the time. A lot of people are buying in the outer Sydney suburbs out by that motorway at the moment expecting it to blow up. But the whole world knows about it just like they did with the Flinders mining stock, that's the problem I wouldn't trust anything like that personally. It's also possible to pack 3 properties on some corner blocks which is a similar concept that may be even more lucrative.

Live in it for a year to dodge 50% CGT you can cycle from property to property without paying a cent of CGT. I can't remember how exactly but I'm pretty sure you can only have 1 PPOR at a time but there is a way to have an investment property as well as your own residence. Whilst somehow able to bullshit it's not infact an investment property. I think you establish it as your PPOR by living in it for a year and tell the tax office circumstances have changed for you and they let you rent the place out with no CGT penalties despite you living in another residence. I don't fully understand how this works as you still have to live somewhere yourself which would basically cancel out the rental income you receive. But that's not correct, it's a money maker for people I just fail to understand how they do it.

If the tenant is family most people are dodgy and do it off the books. If she payed you cash in hand you can just tell the tax office it's a second place of residence and not an investment property. There's no proof of it being an investment property/no papertrail. NO CGT risk, no taxed rental income as well as other benefits BUT you can't negatively gear.

Most important thing is not to conform to the standardised norms like everyone else, most investors have only 1 investment property over 20yrs and are just playing around with spare cash, the commercial side love this and who are the people who actually capitalise. Most people just follow the grain and negatively gear and aim for their 7% return ACA and the like suggests. Safe boring and simple with little reward. You should set your ambitions high as high as 15% which is very possible (laugh it up and get laughed at for laughing) if you just don't sit there and let the agencies do everything. For example a friends father's has a 3 bedroom property worth $340 p/w. Instead he has simply put up ads up on craigslist etc and has 3 uni students renting out a room each for $150 p/w. All officially done/in contract/no riskier to an agency etc $450 p/w over $340 p/w, the average broker would tell him he needs another 200k invested to receive such a return. Or... just a couple of ads on craigslist in his situation.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 12-12-2013 at 08:35 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i too encourage tax fraud
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
XW-BAXR6T

I agree with illavitar, frankston area is where i live now & i love it here plus this area has so much potential & it isnt far from the city, not as far as most people think. I was looking at mount dandenong & boy was i glad i hadnt bought there instead i ended up in franga area. franga is the door way to the mornington penisnula & will be very close to the third proposed air port. My house is a 4 bedroom the price was just above 300k "ready to move in right away" 6 months ago. very good price for all the amneties you can want together with world class beaches near by such as dromana, sorento, rye & portsea.

Franga has changed a lot since the bad days. like st kilda has for those still thinking of the bad days.

Nick.

Last edited by XW-BAXR6T; 12-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive just sold a unit after 7 years, and wouldnt go down that path again. Strata fees are MONEY FOR NOTHING. I would only consider house on land, you have greater chance of adding value if you so desire, plus subdivision may be a future possibility.
Ive just exited the property investment market (sold 1 unit and moved into a previously rented house) if I put all the money i had to top up the properties over the last 7 years into a bank account i would be well in front with none of the risk or headaches.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on my phone now so can't elaborate, but most of the points brought up have already gone through my head for each option.

I have already seen my bank so can put in STF offers, I have spoken to a financial planner, accountant and broker as well. I feel like you can't get enough advice on the topic so thats why I'm here trying to gather more info.

Subdivision is an option for the place I currently live in. Its the old ladys but as I've payed her debts off its basically mine to do as I please but she obviously needs a place to reside.

I may just go the apartment option or the factory one and start a side business. Once I'm on my feet again I can go ahead and subbie the current prop and go hard from there.

As for parking issues - I wouldn't look for a place without a carpark.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cashed in around mordialloc. Bought property there when I graduated uni, just before the boom. Before they redeveloped the old Epsom race course. I bought between that and the beach as I suspected it was going to grow. I had dreams of sub dividing but never got there. I cashed in and retired at 30. Back at work now though part time. I got totally out of property to play with other things for a while. Looked at Seaford about twelve months ago. Had time on my hands and was looking at doing a few quick renos. Plenty of termites down that way. Around Seaford a lot of older places are just being bulldozed and sub divided as they're good sized blocks. A mate has a place on the beach side of the railway and has done okay on it. He done a reno on that and has renters in there looking after it, but is just going to knock it down and sub divide in a few years.

Not really contemplating another investment property at the moment but am thinking of buying an apartment in Melbourne as I'm sick of living in hotels. Property still seems pretty cheap in the cbd.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsprint94 View Post
Whats stamp duty on 400k mate? First home owners grant?
Stamp duty for first home buyer on $400k established is $9,822. No lump sum grant unless property not previously occupied.

In addition, factor in titles' office costs $1,100, conveyancing $1,000, rates adjustments and insurance $1,000.

Old 13-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like to research from:

http://www.reiv.com.au/Home.aspx and its also interesting to read some of these articles http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/ keeping in mind why a person is saying certain things. ie. Real estate agents saying theirs never a better time to buy.

If you want something larger those inner city areas are going to be out of the 400k mark. It really is a question of what you want to do. Pay the same price in your ideal location for a small apartment or move out a bit further and get a bigger place for the same amount...capital growth is almost always better on larger land mass.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scratch option 3 first up.

How will you pay this mortgage AND rent somewhere to live?

Option 2 is the best, and will be the most tax efficient, as all your interest for the property will be 100% tax deductible.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
stevz
Banned

There may be some here who will disagree and call me a doomsayer, but I think you'd have to be stark raving mad to buy at the moment. With the market at unsustainable highs, the bubble further inflating and the fragile state of the economy, its a sure fire way of doing your dough and putting yourself in negative equity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2SluAUWJA
I posted this video in another thread. It describes the carnage of the Irish property market when their bubble finally burst. Sobering stuff.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I posted this video in another thread. It describes the carnage of the Irish property market when their bubble finally burst. Sobering stuff.
The Irish property market also had a massive oversupply problem courtesy of someone's retarded idea to build as many housing estates as they could, just because they could, with no one to buy the houses. Polar opposite of the state of the Australian housing market (i.e. demand outstripping supply - still).

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The Irish property market also had a massive oversupply problem courtesy of someone's retarded idea to build as many housing estates as they could, just because they could, with no one to buy the houses. Polar opposite of the state of the Australian housing market (i.e. demand outstripping supply - still).
Which is nothing but a con that the property spruikers want us to believe.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-0...bourne/5071460
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bubble is always bursting according to some.....but never has.

If you buy sensibly and for the long term (10 years plus) and allow for a bit of an interest increase you will have no problem.

Start buying interstate at some new holiday destination, off-the plan, some inflated luxury property or at your limit of serviceability, yes you have a good chance of getting burnt.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #21
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Which is nothing but a con that the property spruikers want us to believe.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-0...bourne/5071460
And that was the best piece of research you could find to support your premise?

To compare Ireland with Australia is a false equation. Our banks are carefully regulated, by and large we don't have an oversupply of property (yes, you can find small areas that may suffer but never as widespread as Ireland or some areas in the US) and we have positive population growth. Most of our migrant intake is for financially independant people who value the security of our property ownership laws and are keen and able to buy as soon as they can.

So you stay out of the market and we'll compare our investment strategies in ten years, OK?

You need to own at least one property for your retirement, there are many paths to get there.

Old 13-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #22
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The bubble is always bursting according to some.....but never has.

If you buy sensibly and for the long term (10 years plus) and allow for a bit of an interest increase you will have no problem.

Start buying interstate at some new holiday destination, off-the plan, some inflated luxury property or at your limit of serviceability, yes you have a good chance of getting burnt.
No worries, we'll just keep listening to the property spruikers who are adamant that property doubles every 10 years and we'll be right....

The past is not a guarantee for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
And that was the best piece of research you could find to support your premise?

To compare Ireland with Australia is a false equation. Our banks are carefully regulated, by and large we don't have an oversupply of property (yes, you can find small areas that may suffer but never as widespread as Ireland or some areas in the US) and we have positive population growth. Most of our migrant intake is for financially independant people who value the security of our property ownership laws and are keen and able to buy as soon as they can.

So you stay out of the market and we'll compare our investment strategies in ten years, OK?

You need to own at least one property for your retirement, there are many paths to get there.
Most of the factors you mention read exactly like the spin that banks, real estate agents, developers and property spruikers would have us believe.
Blind Freddy can see that this is unsustainable yet we have become so complacent about it that we think we are immune to the rest of the world.
Oh well, the bigger the bubble gets, the harder it will burst.
Old 14-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Patience is the key. Seeing as you have 2 options (scratch the last one, it's a bad idea) and you haven't made up your mind don't spend your cash yet. Knowing and understanding what you want and having the confidence in yourself getting what you want is the most important thing.

I have a friend who in 2006 bought his first house, his second in 2008 and his third in 2010 when the market was running red hot. He Knew what he wanted (get rich and retire at 50) but he didn't understand it. In the end the debt became too much for him and in 2012 when the market had cooled he sold two of his properties at a loss $50,000. That was a huge lesson for me.

Myself, I'm 27, just left home and spent 10 years saving every spare cent I could and learning about what I wanted and have just bought my first house which I will own within 7 years, after which time I'll start again saving for the second, then third and so on. Of course I was lucky to have a mum willing to put up with me for so long...!

My point is, learn as much as you can before you jump in, it's the start of the rest of your life really so might as well do it properly...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Patience is the key. Seeing as you have 2 options (scratch the last one, it's a bad idea) and you haven't made up your mind don't spend your cash yet. Knowing and understanding what you want and having the confidence in yourself getting what you want is the most important thing.

I have a friend who in 2006 bought his first house, his second in 2008 and his third in 2010 when the market was running red hot. He Knew what he wanted (get rich and retire at 50) but he didn't understand it. In the end the debt became too much for him and in 2012 when the market had cooled he sold two of his properties at a loss $50,000. That was a huge lesson for me.

Myself, I'm 27, just left home and spent 10 years saving every spare cent I could and learning about what I wanted and have just bought my first house which I will own within 7 years, after which time I'll start again saving for the second, then third and so on. Of course I was lucky to have a mum willing to put up with me for so long...!

My point is, learn as much as you can before you jump in, it's the start of the rest of your life really so might as well do it properly...
If your house will be paid off in 7 years, you won't necessarily have to wait 7 years (or more if you only start saving once your house is paid off) to make your next purchase. Make it work for you. If after 3 years, you are nearly paid off, i'd utilise equity to make the next purchase.

The rent should just about cover your repayments, and the tax savings each year can then be put back on to your primary place of residence. If you had to wait 10 years to buy your next investment, a house you could have had for 300k, might be north of 400k... So, if you bought earlier, by the time you would have saved enough to buy the new 400k house, you could have already made 100k equity, plus had the tax savings to go with it...

Plenty of ways to skin a cat as they say... I have a mate who probably has 100k or more in the bank, but it's almost dead money... sure it's working off his mortgage, but he only owes about 200k... He could of bought an investment 5 years ago for 340k, now he'll be looking at about 450k for something the same... The equity he would have earned in that property would have just about let him pay his house off along with his cash savings...

I'm due for another investment property soon, but i'm going to hold off for a little bit.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
stevz
Banned

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ha...214-2zdt2.html
Further proof that people have lost the plot - Somebody paid $920,000 for Julia Gillard's old house - A plain 1960's brick house in a filthy industrial suburb surrounded by oil refineries and petrochemical plants.
Reserve was $650,000.
Old 15-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Option 2 is the best, and will be the most tax efficient, as all your interest for the property will be 100% tax deductible.
No, NONE of your interest would be deductible.
Stay where you are (in "Mum's" house) and look to subdivide in the future.
I'd be very cautious about getting into negative gearing at the moment, and about putting all your eggs into one property. (When you say that you'd have $400k to spend, I assume you're talking about a $320k Mortgage? That's a big millstone to hang around your neck.)
If you are looking for capital growth, and determined to play in the real estate market, then go for an old house on a large block. Stick to areas you know well, and remember "location, location, location."
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I'd be very cautious about getting into negative gearing at the moment, and about putting all your eggs into one property. (When you say that you'd have $400k to spend, I assume you're talking about a $320k Mortgage? That's a big millstone to hang around your neck.)
If you are looking for capital growth, and determined to play in the real estate market, then go for an old house on a large block. Stick to areas you know well, and remember "location, location, location."
Depends how he structures it all. If his mum is paying rent, and it's classified as an investment property then the interest would be tax deductible.

OP - If your mum isn't going to be paying rent, is there any reason you'd want her to move into your new place? I'd leave her where she is, and then rent out your new house to someone who will pay rent, therefore making it a tax deduction.

I'd continue to live with your mum for a year or two, saving on rent, whilst building equity by having someone else pay your mortgage off. Then i'd use some equity out of that property to buy your own house where you want to live.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #28
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Buy or invest where you can afford !! Don't know Melbourne..
People have to rent somewhere ! What is not suitable for you can be a gem
for others.. The sooner you invest the better..
In 1990 when I paid $130k for each [two] properties everyone said I was crazy..
Oh yea min $450k each now and claimed interest the whole time,,
The negative doomsayers are STILL renting filling out Lotto every week !!!
Just be aware interest rates could go to 9% so budget on that atleast..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
If I buy an investment property I can no longer claim interest? When did that happen? I better call my accountant. I'm going to have to pay back a huge amount of tax.
Old 16-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

While I disagree with everything Stevz says in general and dont go along with his bantering Im actually sheepish about entering the market even though I am over paying rent.

I know I could wait and wait but things are in an odd state at the moment, im keen to wait until late 2015/2016. Even then we wont see the impact of the auto industry loss until '17/18 I guess. Thats alot of years in rent where for the same cash I could be paying something off in the 'burbs. :(
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post