Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Default XR5 wheels on a LS

So Guys,

I want to put XR5 Wheels on my 2005 LS - Is there anything I need to know/look out for/be careful with?

Assume no knowledge on my behalf. :

My Focus is the dark grey (what is the official name of theis colour?) so I'm thinking anthracite colour rims - yes?? :sm_headba

Fredo

Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Conquest_Tsi

I think its called Titanium Grey
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Dno but it'll look good, i've seen similar..
Old 16-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

hmmm. Not a fan of people putting the XR5 rims on a lower spec model. Makes me think that people want their car to be something it's not. Personal opinion obviously, but there are a multitude of better looking aftermarket rims out there, that are a hell of a lot cheaper than the XR5 rims. I think you're going to be surprised at the price of each one of them if you get them from a dealership.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they are about $600 a rim. Quite pricey. But don't let that deter you. If your keen on getting them onto your car, I say do it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
819_FLY

Horses for courses of Course.

600 a rim is pretty ouch territory, could get some pimpin wheels for that kinda cash, then gotta outlay for rubber for each corner aswell.

I noticed the rims of European Parts (Loder Rims I think) are pretty decent looking but have a decent price tag aswell..

Im still hunting for rims but seems like I have to go custom for what I want.... because Koya won't drill the rims I want.... :(

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
hmmm. Not a fan of people putting the XR5 rims on a lower spec model. Makes me think that people want their car to be something it's not. Personal opinion obviously, but there are a multitude of better looking aftermarket rims out there, that are a hell of a lot cheaper than the XR5 rims. I think you're going to be surprised at the price of each one of them if you get them from a dealership.
Geez, c'mon guys.
What's this all about . . . its not an XR5 so you don't think it should have XR5 wheels?
I really don't care what you think the etiquette is for dressing up a car.

I am looking at these because:-
1. I like the look of them and,
2. There are a number of sets of them that come up for sale, pre-loved, for well under $1,000 a set.

What I was wanting help with was some technical advice as to what to look out for when buying second-hand.
Are all XR5 rims the same?
Will any year make fit my 2005 LS?
Never mind - thanks for . . . well nothing really.
Old 16-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Geez, c'mon guys.
What's this all about . . . its not an XR5 so you don't think it should have XR5 wheels?

I am looking at these because:-
1. I like the look of them and,
2. There are a number of sets of them that come up for sale, pre-loved, for well under $1,000 a set.

What I was wanting help with was some technical advice as to what to look out for when buying second-hand.
Are all XR5 rims the same?
Will any year make fit my 2005 LS?
Never mind - thanks for . . . well nothing really.
I think the question has been asked before, maybe do a search.

Personally, I think it would look good, but maybe in a silver finish rather than anthracite...but hey, a forum is all a matter of opinion so don't let the others throw you!

As far as I know, there are no issues with any XR5 18's on a LS/LT
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I drive past a parked Titanium Grey LT with XR5 wheels everyday and I always turn my head. Dresses the car up quite nicely in the stock colour.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Lanyi

Fredo, any wheel (aftermarket or not) that replaces the original ones will 'dress-up' the car. Whether it will look good or not is a matter of opinion. Thats why asking for opinions is risky - something that you like might get unwanted criticism and could ruin your project.

If you have asthetic questions, don't ask them. If you like it, then do it, people will appreciate it more if you just start a thread showing off your car with the new wheels.

XR5 rims have the same stud pattern (105x5) and the same offset (55). They are 18" wheels, which will fit in the guards and will not cause you problems - other than buying new rubber for it. Make sure that whom ever you buy it off gives you the nuts and the locking nuts.

Btw, did you do a search (other than on this forum) before starting this thread?
Lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
McDethWivFries
Starter Motor

Use to work at a dealership myself, the rims (any model) are damn exy, we use to get flyers faxed to us with 'clone' rims that were a lot cheaper (sorry cant recall who did the clones). Bought my old drive car for the wife (TDCi) and was pretty bummed with the rims on those (same as LX) but damn there were some nice rims available but didn't have the cash.

Must admit, i do agree with RJO89 re the XR5 rims, kinda like putting stripes on an XR8 to make it a look like a GT. Having said that tho, its your car, you know what you like, do what pleases you, not what pleases others.
Old 17-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #12
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Lanyi's got it spot on. If you're asking the questions, don't get offended by the answers. People have different opinions on different things, and that's what forums are for.
In terms of looking out for second hand, really it's just the normal things. Check for any damage to the rims. Gutter rash, any cracks, staining, etc. Tyres is pretty obvious. I'd probably recommend getting new tyres on any set of rims that you buy, independent of whether the seller reckons that the previous owner of the rims was an 85 year old grandma by the name of Con... Then get a wheel alignment done etc.
They fit fine due to them being from the same hub setup as the stock focus.

And as everyone has already said, do what you want to do. It's your car, and it's your decision what happens to it. Who gives a what other people think.

Old 17-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo

In the motoring world, it's called elitism. Just check out all the bodykit and stripe threads.

I own an XR5, and I think those rims will look good on your car. Personally, I don't have an issue with it. It won't instantly turn your car into an XR5. Now if you were to stick XR5 badges on your car, then that would be a different story. But wheels, are just wheels.

FG Falcons have XR5 rims on them, so why is it not ok for another focus to have XR5 rims? Or is ford trying to make the FG XR range into lookking like a focus XR5.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Red face Tanks all

Thanks all.
Points taken about asking opinions and elitism in the motoring fraternity.
I'll try to word any further enquiries . . . more bettera.

Cheers and thanks

Fredo
Old 17-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
BrisVegas
Noobie

XR5 rims look great and would definitely jazz up a regular Focus. Even FG Falcons look good with them!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #16
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyi
XR5 rims have the same stud pattern (105x5) and the same offset (55).
Just a small correction, the stud pattern is actually 5 x108 (same as many Volvos and Jags), and sadly there's not a massive amount of options here in Oz for that pattern.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Lanyi

Ah, thanks for that.
Lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Mick K.

A little bit off topic, but bear with me...

I have owned a BA Fairmont - wife's car - for the past 3+ years and have never bought tyres for it. I replaced the stock 16"s with XR6 17" ones with good rubber from eBay, and then a year or so later replaced the 17"s with 18"s from eBay with 90% rubber. After also selling the old wheels (with hardly any rubber left), each upgrade has cost me about $300, and has meant I haven't had to spend the expected $600-$800 on tyres.

On the weekend I bought some XR4 mags for my LR Focus with about 50% tyre life remaining, delaying a tyre purchase for another year or so. I had been looking for an upgrade to factory 17" wheels for the Focus for about 2 years, and while I probably would have preferred ST170 rims, the XR4 ones look good.

Given the very hard to get nature of the old Focus's 4 x 108 rims and the maybe also rare 5 x 108 of the current model, taking advantage of someone else upgrading their rims and getting hold of someone's surplus stock rims, in my opinion, is a good idea.

As someone else pointed out, it doesn't turn your car into an XR5, but makes it a little different, gives you a firmer / harder / sportier ride, etc.

PS - there are some Mondeo 18" rims on eBay at the moment.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #19
Mullett
Badly Focused

End of the day, if you like something on your car...do it. Plenty of people would question doing up a focus, just like plenty will question putting rims on a base spec. I say go for it, factory rims are good because you know what they'll look like, you know they're quality, and you know they'll fit without issues. Cheaper rims are around, but quality might not be there, especially the really cheap ones...

Could be worse...could be chrome :P

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Cool

Thanks again.
Look I didn't mean to annoy anyone here so let me get this out and I'll get back in my box and close the lid.

My motivator for mods to this particular car is definitely function over form.

What I bought is just about as close to a 'Nana's' car as you can get. Saved only by the massive(not) 15" mags and boardracks.

Primary purpose for this '05 CL LS is to get me across the bridge to work every day so as it is, its perfect for the role.

But I also like the occasional Sunday (any day) morning blast around the mountains just outside of Brisbane which I haven't been able to do in recent times beacuse I drove a Landcruiser.

Anyway to maximise my enjoyment safely and cost effectively in this car I think I need to:-
1. Tighten the suspension up a little and,
2. Let it breathe a bit better.

So, for my application the mods that I have picked up from you people that seem to suit are:
> XR5 Springs – proven, cheap, good results;
> XR5 Wheels – proven, cheap-ish (2nd-hand), look good to me.
> K&N Air Filter – proven, cheap, good results.
> Extractors & Exhaust system – not so cheap but great results.

Or is my thinking flawed . . . :

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Old 18-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
McDethWivFries
Starter Motor

sounds good to me, most ppl when they look at specing up their cars seem to automatically look at the engine system to get more power without considering the safety aspect ie. suspension, handling, braking. If you go that way, your much better off making sure your car can handle the performance boost in those areas and modify it needed, otherwise your a crash waiting to happen.
Old 18-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Sounds decent. If you do up your intake you probably won't notice too much difference apart from an increase in high end torque. Can't recommend getting the exhaust done highly enough. Once they take out the exhaust that comes stock you'll be shocked at how restrictive it is. Really wish I got a photo of the lot when they took it out of my car.
For a budget system, what you've got there is pretty good. Extractors will by far be the most expensive parts there. But absolutely worth the expenditure. If you're going with the XR5 suspension setup, try and get your hands on the front shock absorbers as well as the springs. I managed to score myself a set of them and they improved the ride quality something chronic. No more body roll and haven't felt like I'm going to lose the car going around twisties since I installed them.

PS, if you need some XR5 springs, I've got some lying around you can have. PM me if you're interested.

Old 19-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Mullett
Badly Focused

Purely for the cost, I'd be thinking twice about the exhaust system, I think that the gains would be fairly marginal for the $$$, the standard headers aren't as bad as they look flow wise, and nor is the rear section. If you were keen on it, I'd do a cat-back (about $350) and get the car tuned. Much more power than the extractors, you get a much sharper throttle pedal (Electronic throttle body tuning), better fuel efficiency and more torque.

Just my 2c...

-RM.

Old 19-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #24
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
better fuel efficiency
I wouldn't guarantee that!! Mine has spiked up a bit since I got my cat back done. That's probably because I'm dropping the foot a bit more, but it's gone from around 8.7ish to 9.3... But as I said, I love the noise so the revs get a fair workout!!

Old 20-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #25
focusrally888

i cant help but think over sized wheels look really stupid with out large brakes... its like when u see the 02 lancers with 17" rims and all it ends up doing is showing off the dirty drum brakes at the rear!!! at least get slotted rotors in they..

Last edited by focusrally888; 20-12-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo
focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
I wouldn't guarantee that!! Mine has spiked up a bit since I got my cat back done. That's probably because I'm dropping the foot a bit more, but it's gone from around 8.7ish to 9.3... But as I said, I love the noise so the revs get a fair workout!!
The exhaust should make exactly no difference in a back to back test, but the tune was what I was referring to about the fuel consumption. Because they have to run quite rich AFR from the factory, a tune can lean it out, producing more power and better fuel economy (how often do you hear THAT?)

The catback won't change anything in the combustion cycle if everything else was normal, but it will make you thrash it more :P That said, if they knocked on of the 02 sensors when they did the exhaust and killed it (pretty hard to do) the car will revert to failsafe AFRs, and that will certainly make it use more fuel.

-RM.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
elgreko

Just bought a set of current focus XR5 rims(identical copies so the guy claims) on eBay really cheep, tried just the rims to see if they fit. There is only 10mm gap from suspension arm to the rim, is that a problem??? Any one out there have a XR5 that can tell me how much distance is between rim and suspension arm??
elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #28
elgreko

Just put XR5 rims and tyres on my TDCI focus, They look good and feel great!! Makes a big difference in handling!!
elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post