Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Takata airbag advise and experiences

hi, was told by the rta that my pj ranger can,t be registered , due to that it has a takata airbag in it.

the car is unregistered.

before i asked my local ford dealer for advise doing the recall, i rang a dealer in another suburb to check out the general attitude towards the issue.
The service lady proceeded to tell me that i needed to tow the car in for the job, and my reply was; i don,t thing so, and i said "its not my fault your airbag is broken", and words to that effect. well she cut in mid conversation and said ok,ok. i then gave her the vin and that she would call back. well she never called back.
she did not want to pay for the tow.

i,m getting the feeling that the dealer isn,t too interested.
does anybody know if they are interested? and where do i stand on the tow issue. as i estimate $400 to 500 on the tow.

please advise and share personal experiences.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
hayseed

Default Re: Takata airbag advise and experiences

If you're the last registered Owner you would've been getting letters Via registered mail Telling you to Get the Vehicle to a Dealer & get It replaced...
That's How It Worked with My Wife's Car..

Pretty Sure it's on You to get It to the Dealer...But happy to be corrected.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Would you like me to remove the offending airbag, you can take it in to the RTA to show them the car is no longer dangerous (and leave the bag there)?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you trying to renew the Rangers rego or has it been unregistered for some time?

The Takata airbag problem has been around for years now with an absolute tonne of cars involved. I believe affected cars are given a lot of time before the rego is cancelled/not allowed to be renewed. If the car has been unregistered for some time and you want to register it again puts you in a tough position. Can you get a permit to drive it and get it done?whilst it’s a pain, I don’t see the dealer or manufacturer paying a towing bill, especially with the notice affected cars are given, advertising, websites etc that have been going on.

My mother in law had her Toyota echos airbag replaced twice. Done without a fuss but the first time they put the wrong airbag in and had to do it again. Annoying but it is what it is, needs to be done.
Old 25-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Would you like me to remove the offending airbag, you can take it in to the RTA to show them the car is no longer dangerous (and leave the bag there)?
ha,ha good one.
Old 25-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
My mother in law had her Toyota echos airbag replaced twice. Done without a fuss but the first time they put the wrong airbag in and had to do it again. Annoying but it is what it is, needs to be done.
Actually what they were doing is replacing the faulty airbags with the exact same ones (just newer) for while, as they had no choice.
Once the new design ones became available they then had to replace them again.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #7
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Are you trying to renew the Rangers rego or has it been unregistered for some time?

The Takata airbag problem has been around for years now with an absolute tonne of cars involved. I believe affected cars are given a lot of time before the rego is cancelled/not allowed to be renewed. If the car has been unregistered for some time and you want to register it again puts you in a tough position. Can you get a permit to drive it and get it done?whilst it’s a pain, I don’t see the dealer or manufacturer paying a towing bill, especially with the notice affected cars are given, advertising, websites etc that have been going on.

i brought the car damaged, and was last resister 2018.
then i learnt that the bag was rooted.
the car is now ready for rego, however the rta say no.
Old 25-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i brought the car damaged, and was last resister 2018.
then i learnt that the bag was rooted.
the car is now ready for rego, however the rta say no.
You are probably better off contacting ford directly, and also push on the dealer again to see how you go. But I would not be expecting an outcome where they pay for the tow.

If they said no to paying for the tow, try a permit route to drive it to Ford and get it done. Otherwise, it won’t be getting registered.
Old 25-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I really don't understand why they didn't / don't have a mobile install solution for this?

It's clean work requiring hand tools and the replacement part is smaller than a shoebox.

There has to be other people in your situation? Why must they all get their vehicle towed to a dealership?

Far more effecient for them to come to you.

You can now have so many automotive 'we come to you' services, why not airbag replacement?

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I took my Ranger to Ford for the airbag recall, the first thing they did was look inside the car, to see if it was one that had airbags fitted. The service adviser told me that their records were poor, and they didn’t know what cars had the extra - Takata - bags fitted. He said that about half of the Rangers in my recall, didn’t warrant changing the bags.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Where are you located? You should call Ford and they will offer a solution at their cost. From what I have seen in the field, they will either send a tech to your premises, pay for a tow to get the vehicle to the nearest Ford dealer. This is one of the stipulations by law the manufacture has to follow as outlined in the ACCC directions for all manufacturers.

Most proactive dealers will organise this for you and then bill Ford for the tow or tech time to get to you on top of the parts/labour to replace the air bag. Unfortunately there are bad dealers that could not be bothered to try and assist and organise it all.

I heard of one instance where a tech with air bags in hand was choppered to Norfolk Island to carry out all the vehicles there from one manufacturer.

If the dealer is giving you grief, call Ford and they will sort it out for you, just let them know your vehicle is unregistered and they will work out a no cost option for you to get the recall done.

13FORD..
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
Pis-ton broke
Banned

thanks gt
i,m s.w.sydney, behind picton. narellan / mittagong are my local guys.
Old 25-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Can't you just say it will be towed there, then drive it there and say the truck broke down? Can't you drive an unregistered car directly for inspection, rego processing? Do they also do blue slips?

They can't turn you away if you are already there.

Old 25-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Pis-ton broke
Banned

yes y.f. that was a thought, or the one day travel permit, if its allowed.
gtlegend has pm,ed me with a local contact(thank you). i,ll see how it goes.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I really don't understand why they didn't / don't have a mobile install solution for this?
Mistsubishi were doing this for very rural customers. They flew a guy to remote WA and he drove for hours to do a car. He also flew to some Island off the coast of QLD to fix a Pajero.

If you live near an Urban area I'm sure they will just say bring it to us.

Found the article

https://www.caradvice.com.au/807053/...recall-search/

Last edited by Ben73; 25-06-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #16
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

It's clean work requiring hand tools and the replacement part is smaller than a shoebox.

There has to be other people in your situation? Why must they all get their vehicle towed to a dealership?

Far more effecient for them to come to you.

You can now have so many automotive 'we come to you' services, why not airbag replacement?

it would be less efficient having a mechanic travelling around metro areas all day from job to job. Plus weather, garaging conditions etc would all affect it.

Having the cars come to him/her is better and would be more productive
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
it would be less efficient having a mechanic travelling around metro areas all day from job to job. Plus weather, garaging conditions etc would all affect it.

Having the cars come to him/her is better and would be more productive
That's fine if the cars are registered and mobile. But why should someone have to get a vehicle towed at their expense for a manufacturing fault?

2 users like this post: