Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Road Works speed zones

While road works and the associated speed restriction are a necessary and important thing to have, i'm a bit miffed that RTA left a road site speed zone active over the long weekends in April (Anzac w/end). they had done some road works to resurface some of the road. It looked though, that they had totally finished. There were no disruptions to the road surface, all safety fences were up and even the painted lines were there, yet they decided for some reason to leave the speed zone in effect. Now, since this was a long weekend, it'd be another 3 days before anyone was going to be at the site, so if it wasn't dangerous, why was the speed zone in place.

before you think i'm just nagging, the same work zone was the in the same state earlier in the month on Easter long weekend. I did the posted limit, but i saw there were others that got pulled over (and on a double-demerit w/end too!!).

As the work zone is a temporary setting, it should not become an unnecessary inconvenience and given the push for motorists to respect work zones, they should never be active longer than necessary.

i was miffed enough to bring it to the attention of the NSW Transport Minister. Today i recieved an acknowledgement letter from his office saying they will look into it.

yeah, i know:

Old 28-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Could be retribution for all those that speed through road works. Should here me go off when people speed down our ally way at work. Afterall we all want to go home to our families at night.... Later......
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
oceanwave54
Ego driven XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Could be retribution for all those that speed through road works. Should here me go off when people speed down our ally way at work. Afterall we all want to go home to our families at night.... Later......
That's not the issue though, it's all fine when there are workers around, but leaving the speed restrictions in for an extended unrequired amount of time I find to be annoying as well. I see deserted road works all the time, no workers, no view issues, no road surface, why interrupt traffic flow?
2007 BF MkII XR6 Upgrade Ego
oceanwave54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there are barricades in use along the verge outside the white line (im not sure what distance) the speed restriction will remain.
Even though the road may be resurfaced etc....
Typically there may be work occuring the otherside of the barricade (open drain etc) and if someone for what ever reason runs through the barricades and into the ditch at speed it would probably kill them.

Unfortunately it is still considered a work zone until everything is finished and they are packing up.

Sometimes though it appears they forget to remove the speed restrictions.
Typically during road works in say a 100 zone will get reduced to 40kmh. Once the workers leave it can be increased to either 60 or 80 depending on the conditions.
I have on a few occasions seen some zones still restricted to 40kmh when no one is around and no lanes are blocked etc. Particularly on weekends.

Usually if you ring the RTA, Main Roads or council and speak to them nicely they will look into it...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Other things which are road works related (At least in QLD):

In a multilane road, speed restrictions must occur in all lanes of the direction of travel.
As an example: You cant have just one lane restricted to 40kmh and the other at 60kmh. In this case you can proceed at 60 in any lane as the 40kmh restriction isnt valid.

On many occasions I have seen this, where contractors working on buildings put up a road works sign with a speed restriction in one lane of a multilane road because they have trucks entering etc....
In most cases they havent even asked for council permission anyways.
A 40kmh restriction would only really be used when a lane is closed and you need to merge, when the road surface is stuffed, traffic control is in effect, or when a detour is required.

Road work signs need to be laid out in a particular order and cant be too close together or hidden. All normal road speed signs MUST be covered up in the work zone.
I have seen a road work sign with a 40kmh restriction placed agaisnt a 60kmh sigh post which remained uncovered!

Failing to stop when directed by a traffic controller is a fineable offence

You cant park (I think its 10m) infront a road work sign or interfear with it.

If traffic control is in effect and they decide to go to lunch, they must remove or cover the flagman sign and remove the 40kmh restriction if it is safe to do so. i.e: no lane closure, surface good, vis good.

One day while coming home for lunch I came across roadwork signs and flagman signs close to home. It was a T intersection, and when i got there the whole road was closed with no signage and just witches hats! They had all gone to lunch (contract workers not council) and left the work site.
They can not under no circumstances do that (You cant close a road without council permission and a traffic management plan in effect) . I made it known to the council what had happened, but I dont know if they bothered to look into it.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....

Last edited by Jim Goose; 28-05-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the old Gateway Motorway on the way to the airport after the gateway bridge, there is now an automated speed reminder display setup in the now reduced to 70 (from 90) zone just before the old airport exit.
I've travelled past it a few times now in sync with other vehicles that are doing around about 70, and it reports our speed at 60...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
GTP 290

It may seem like an inconvenience to you but hoonestly you are losing mabey 2-3 minutes of travel time. Get over yourself. No one is that important. People that complain about this seriously are the same type of people that speed through road works anyway (usually right up my ****). The speed restriction are there for a reason as posted above. Just because you can't see workers doesn't mean it's safe to do the full unrestricted speed through the area.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've had a situation in Bulla here in Victoria, where they've put up a sign for roadworks, saying certain dates, putting out the 40km/h signs, then delay the project a few times, while keeping the 40km/h signs out there so you have to do 40 while nothing is going on.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
It may seem like an inconvenience to you but hoonestly you are losing mabey 2-3 minutes of travel time. Get over yourself. No one is that important. People that complain about this seriously are the same type of people that speed through road works anyway (usually right up my ****). The speed restriction are there for a reason as posted above. Just because you can't see workers doesn't mean it's safe to do the full unrestricted speed through the area.
you are correct. but it is frustrating when there is no works happening. it can annoy the crap out of you when you are on a road that you should expect is one speed and yet you have to go slower for no real reason

the other point is that because we have so many road work areas with no works actually happening, people do not take any notice of them - it is like the boy who cried wolf. one day there may be a worker there, but we are conditioned to false alarms. then it becomes dangerous
but unfortunately it seems the government is more interested in potential revenue than saving lives
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

I travel the Pacific motorway from beenleigh onto the gateway at Eight Mile Plains, and on to Port of Brisbane Motorway ever morning, around 2.00am. The time when roadworkers are out and about. For those that know what Im talking about, you will all understand. I have done this route for 4 years, and in the last 3 years, the Gateway upgrade has been happening. This means for the last 20km of the journey, I have to put up with several different roadworks meaning I go from 100-80-60-40-100-80-60-40-100-80-60-40-100 etc etc. Now that the pacific motorway is being done up, the first 20km of my trip is now also 100-80-60-40 etc etc. The speed is still reduced in parts, even where the road is finished to 80km/h everyday when the workers arent there, every weekend, every night, etc etc.
Just deal with it, its only an extra 3-4 minutes of your time (or if your me, about 20 minutes extra per day).
Old 30-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Often even if it looks finished, it's not..
It's not that there's no work going on, it could a number of things..
unsafe road condition or the start and finish of works, before testing is complete..!!
I work on these sites everyday and see soooo many stupid idiots speeding though them..
People... Just slow down, 2 or 3 mins isn't gonna hurt anyone, speeding will..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
SuspectEB

On the South Easten Freeway they are installing some stupid barriers around the base's of two bridges. so we now have a 100-110 zone freeway with a 90 zone tunnel, and two sperate 80 zones for ne real reason. They have bee 80 zone for 2 months now. Yet I've seen workers there about 5 times.

So me and most traffic still do 110 through there cause its so pointless slowing a major freeway when these no one working. Or even there for that matter.
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectEB
On the South Easten Freeway they are installing some stupid barriers around the base's of two bridges. so we now have a 100-110 zone freeway with a 90 zone tunnel, and two sperate 80 zones for ne real reason. They have bee 80 zone for 2 months now. Yet I've seen workers there about 5 times.

So me and most traffic still do 110 through there cause its so pointless slowing a major freeway when these no one working. Or even there for that matter.

great attitude to have!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Eleanor

Quote:

And the next thing you know you'll be back on here complaining that you got caught doing $1.10 in the 80 zone. Rules are rules and if people continue to disregard them they will eventually and inevitably get caught. Sure it's annoying to have to slow down for a brief period but I'd rather that than a fine and demerits for being 30 over.

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
fatbats
Starter Motor

On the south Gippsland Highway near Koo Wee Rup they were installing a pipe or something when the company doing it went bust.
Barriers still up with 60kph signs for the last like 3-4 months with no work being done.
They really should take the signs down or something its ridiculous.
fatbats is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbats
On the south Gippsland Highway near Koo Wee Rup they were installing a pipe or something when the company doing it went bust.
Barriers still up with 60kph signs for the last like 3-4 months with no work being done.
They really should take the signs down or something its ridiculous.

sure that's not the desal pipeline mate..
company hasn't gone bust, it's in the early stages down there..
i often do work in the area you're talkin about, slow down through there mate, we are still working there even if it is only a few of us at a time!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
SuspectEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor
And the next thing you know you'll be back on here complaining that you got caught doing $1.10 in the 80 zone. Rules are rules and if people continue to disregard them they will eventually and inevitably get caught. Sure it's annoying to have to slow down for a brief period but I'd rather that than a fine and demerits for being 30 over.

Thats what I thourght at first but in the SA traffic rules. It state you have to do the posted limit, unless workers are not present. Well thats what I've found.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Thats what I thourght at first but in the SA traffic rules. It state you have to do the posted limit, unless workers are not present. Well thats what I've found.

Strange but true... The Road Traffic Act (SA) says temporary speed limit signs at roadwork sites can be disregarded if there are no workers at the site.
MondeoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

One big problem with roadworks signs is that they tend to always put them up what seems like 1/2 km before the actual site, and derestrict about 1/2 km after. They would get much more respect from motorists if they have them at the work site only. I realise there probably is some stupid regulation requiring this, but drivers should theoretically be going at the nominated speed at that location anyway, not slowing down still, so why have them so far in advance, and also after?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

In some cases there may be loose gravel or something. Or a surface that could be damaged at high speeds. I always slow down workers or not plus I've seen a few more police in work zones lately.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

I drive through two every morning.

One hasn't had road work in weeks.
The other hasn't been started in weeks.

I am sure they have no where to store the signs, so they are left out.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
One big problem with roadworks signs is that they tend to always put them up what seems like 1/2 km before the actual site, and derestrict about 1/2 km after. They would get much more respect from motorists if they have them at the work site only...
Read your post and thought "he is from Melbourne". Checked - yep! While it may not be always the case, I had noticed that NSW have the speed back to normal soon after the restricted area, very unlike Melbourne. They sometimes rely on the next "100" sign (on the Westgate it can be a couple of k AFTER the roadworks, doing "40"?!?!) and a lot of times, NO indication that roadworks have finished.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Amazing some of the replies.

There could be debris on the road, ditches, large changes of grade or unsealed surface either side of the barriers, workers that may not be visible. Oh no, you have to slow down for a minute or two - how inconvenient. Have you considered the ramifications if you speared off through plastic barriers doing 110kph into an area that may have ditches, holes, questionable surface or 100 ton machinery in?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
I doesn't cost 2-3 minutes. It causes bank ups for 4-5km. It CAUSES tailenders. It is not safe. Dont be a sheep, I think telling someone to get over themselves in this case may require a mirror.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondeoManiac
Strange but true... The Road Traffic Act (SA) says temporary speed limit signs at roadwork sites can be disregarded if there are no workers at the site.
Interesting. I travel along the Barrier Highway from Broken Hill through to Cockburn (the locals pronounce it Coburn, but I dunno!) several times each week. There are roadwork speed signs on a bridge just west of Cockburn (ouch) that have been there at least 6 months that I know of. I have never seen a worker there, does that mean I can fly through the 25 zone at 110? The signs say roadworks, nothing else, even though i have been told the bridge has structural problems and that's what the limit is for.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #26
Dodge
i like to be stroked

its like a drive thur zoo, doing 40 to see a bunch of fat men having 3 hr lunch breaks, i think its more thrilling if ur lucky to see them at work, very rear site tho
Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
its like a drive thur zoo, doing 40 to see a bunch of fat men having 3 hr lunch breaks, i think its more thrilling if ur lucky to see them at work, very rear site tho
Because roads obviously build themselves?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
kermey

I have seen something a little different last year when i was driving to collie.
They had reduce your speed signs out, had covered the 60 sign and placed a 70 sign infront of it. There for increasing the speed. woops.

Road works can be a pain but they are fixing the roads that we drive on and complain about. Just do the posted limit.
It seems that the police dont mind getting the radar out in these zones either.

Cheers
kermey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have no problems with with road work restrictions, except some sections of road in melb............... i ask the question, why are they still there YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR?????????? FOR GOD`S SAKE its not the bloody Sistine chapel finish it !!!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
SuspectEB

Fixing our roads?? Not to sure about that. They seem to love attacking SA's Roads. and then leaving them dirt for ages, then put some ****** excuse for tarmac down with out leveling it propley.