Old 07-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Spy pic of Commodore interior & rumour of possible turbo

Here it is on the Drive website..

Click here for the article and other photos:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/i...0607-xpgi.html

Quote:
Inside the new Holden Commodore Series 2 ANDREW HEASLEY, MOTOR INDUSTRY REPORTER

EXCLUSIVE: Take a peek inside the updated Holden Commodore Series 2, which will come with a more user-friendly layout and high-tech touch screen.

Here's the picture Holden doesn't want you to see ... yet.

It's the first look at the interior of the facelifted Series 2 Commodore, which is due to be revealed in August before going on sale shortly afterwards, seen here in left-hand-drive form for its export markets.

Have you seen the new Commodore? Do you know more?
Email us at editor@drive.com.au

While the exterior of the current VE model continues to enjoy widespread appeal, the styling of its interior has aged significantly against more recent offerings from rivals, including the Ford Falcon.

Holden has been working on an interior revamp to bring the interior up to date for the first major styling update of the billion-dollar VE since its 2006 introduction. In the 32 years Holden has been producing Commodores the VE has gone the longest without a significant visual update.

Drive understands that the facelifted model is likely to be called the Commodore Series 2, rather than the VF, as has been widely reported.

The new Commodore Series 2 will also be given an exterior styling update, although Holden is not saying anything of the top secret new model yet.

"We will be updating our Commodore range later in the year," said spokesman Jonathan Rose. "We're not in a position to discuss what that entails at this stage, other than to say that we think the changes will make a great car even better."

This is the second time in a row Drive has brought you pictures of what is believed to be the new Holden Commodores ahead of its official release, after we brought you photos of the then yet-to-be released pictures of the VE Commodore in 2006.

The most obvious change is the prominent pair of eyeball air vents protruding from the dash. And a multifunction LCD screen flanked by 10 push buttons, has been moved higher up on the console to address one of the major ergonomic failings of the VE: that the driver has to take their eyes of the road to fiddle with buttons that are presently set too low.

The display will be a touch screen, as the boss of Siemens VDO – which will supply the technology – recently let slip.

"Our new unit offers touch screen, more connectivity options with iPod and iPhone," CEO Zoran Angelkovski was reported as saying at the time, claiming Holden's new Commodore would have "features that are seen on some European cars".

Despite the touch screen functionality for the new Series 2 Commodore, the dials for the heating and air-conditioning are still set low, but are tizzied up with some chrome framing.

Whether the new, dark coloured interior shown here gets the nod from prospective customers remains to be seen; but there may be alternative colour schemes across the range.

Holden is expected to give varying Commodore models significantly different interior looks, something that was most prominent on the VE Commodore. The Commodore range comprises of entry-level Omega and Berlina models (each sharing a 3.0-litre V6), luxurious Calais, Calais V and sporty SV6 (with a 3.6-litre V6) as well as the 6.0-litre, V8-powered SS and SS V.

The centre console looks to protrude more from the dash structure than is presently the case, a move probably designed to lend a more cockpit-feel for the driver.

It also sees a reworking of the dash trim, in what appears like piano black here, to look more integrated and less like a stick-on afterthought than the VE's non-sporting variants that have a horizontal band tracing the width of the dash, along with an awkward join along a third of its length.

The automatic gear shift sports a new grip but retains the same basic design and the gate for manual shifts.

The steering wheel retains buttons on the spokes, though the car caught here has a Pontiac badge on the hub.

Two features our reviewers have persistently criticised have been retained in the makeover: the finger-pinching handbrake lever and the counter-intuitive placement of the electric window buttons on the centre console, which makes winding down a window for a car park boom gate and ticket processing a two-handed affair. The large A-pillars on either side of the windscreen – often citicised for creating a blind spot – also remain.

Of course the car seen here is in left-hand drive for export markets, but is expected to be a mirror image of cars built for Australia.

Interestingly, this is the third interior for the Commodore-based vehicles: there is an alternative interior for the long-wheelbase Statesman sold in China as the Buick Park Avenue. The Chinese-built car gets a higher placed centre console and electric window buttons where most car buyers would expect to find them: on the driver's door elbow rest.

The photograph here was snapped by an avid fan in Oakleigh recently. The car's exterior was in undisguised export Pontiac G8 form.

Holden's avid fan of Oakleigh heard a distinctive whistle from under the bonnet as he trailed the car from a car park onto the road, lending credence to rumours some variants will sport a turbo or twin-turbo engine.

Holden's V6 engine – available as a 3.0-litre 190kW version and a 210kW 3.6-litre – is based on a global design that's built in various capacities and guises.

The V6 is available as a twin-turbo overseas, something Holden is believed to have been looking at as a rival for the potent Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo.

And there are rumours that the Series 2 Commodore may come in for a revised suspension tune, adopting lessons Holden learned in engineering the reborn Chevrolet Camaro for the US.

Have you seen the new Commodore? Do you know more?
Email us at editor@drive.com.au
Interesting the possible turbo.. I still think the FG interior is top-notch.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Pass. Those round vents are ugly.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Turbo will be interesting.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Most of the dials are still mouned low, round vents does not flow with the rest of the car and is the avid fan sure the turbo whine wasn't just another busted GM gearbox/diff?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The V6 is available as a twin-turbo overseas, something Holden is believed to have been looking at as a rival for the potent Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo."
So it's just a rumour that Drive is trying to start. LOL
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden won't be looking at a turbo V6..it'd smoke their V8 they don't want that.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Most of the dials are still mouned low, round vents does not flow with the rest of the car and is the avid fan sure the turbo whine wasn't just another busted GM gearbox/diff?

Hmmm I always wonder about these 'reader rumours' I know the big publications sign confidentiality clauses with the various manufacturers to not release embargo material, also they have a lot of contacts within the companies themselves which they cant really use as sources. But there is nothing stopping them publishing rumours they hear from readers. I wonder if Drive knows of the turbo, but cannot say it themself so they let Mr Reader put it out there.

Its like when the very heavily camoed AU ute was caught testing, apparantly the reader noticed there was a slight movement between the tub and cab when the ute was pulling out of a servo - even though this was all covered with vinyl with no join, this lead the magazine to suggest that perhaps Ford was developing a seperate cab/chassis Falcon ute for the first time (I wonder how the magazine figured that one out).

Last edited by Brazen; 07-06-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those vents remind me of the new Jag's vents (but nowhere near is good).

By the looks of it HSV might lose the dash top gauges.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Poidevin

If they lose the round vents then it's a winner in my books, not as good as the FG interior but getting there.
Poidevin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Chopped
as in chopped

Are they air vents or drink bottle holders !.(cup holders are sssoooo nineties!)

A lot Better than it was and now looks a little more upmarket (not hard).
Old 07-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

agree with others. looks nice, but the vents are too full on. turbo and holden has been on the cards since the torana revamp that was a flop. since then, who cares. see it, believe it.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have read that only the sport models get round vents, other variants get the more tradional vents with a high mounted storage lid.

Last edited by Brazen; 07-06-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Looks like the Pontiac C6 I hired...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Only took them 4 years but they've finally realised how crappy the current screen placement is.
I look forward to seeing the new product. Although; "While the exterior of the current VE model continues to enjoy widespread appeal," gave me a good chuckle.
I still think its ugly as sin and has aged terribly.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Chopped
as in chopped

I just noticed that it is LHD.
Maybe those Pontiac badges (dead) are really Chev badges and the export program is back on (just a thought).
Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The other shots

Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

so it's still got the stupid handbrake but they stole the vents from a 1999 toyota echo and the piano black from a bf fairmont. whoop de do.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe im a creature of habit but geeze do those centre mounted window switches annoy me.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I did hear a rumor of a turbo diesel and turbo 4cyl petrol in developmental testing, but that was almost 6 months ago now.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Maybe im a creature of habit but geeze do those centre mounted window switches annoy me.
for the fact that every other car manufacturer in the world doesn't do it like that would lead me to be relatively sure it's wrong. imo it's a relic from the VN days.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Meh, looks better than before but you have to remember, they were starting from the bottom and have a long way to go up. Still has the cheap hand brake and those vents are garish to say the least. Makes the rest look very cheap and tacky.

Whats with the A pillars? The last time I saw pillars that big on something they were holding up a building in Athens.

Quote: