Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
wes_932
Starter Motor

Default Is the Used Car 5 year Extended "AHG" Warranty worth it?

Hi

I recently purchased a 2009 G6E TURBO with 50000km's from an AHG ford dealer. They (being the chick with watermelons for breasts) has been pressuring me to get this extended warranty offered by AHG.

The conditions are:

- 5 years cover or 175'000 km's (which ever comes first)

- Each claim made is allowed up to a maximum of $2000, and an unlimited number of claims are allowed over the 5 year period

- A very extensive coverage is "apparent" at this point

- I am required to service the car with them every 6 months or 10'000km's (at a cost of $289 ~ supposedly because they use super special synthetic oil --> which is a load of BS because no matter where I had my car serviced I would demand the use of the best possible oil no matter what the cost is).

- They are trying to charge me $2750

I have heard from a few people that it is not worth it, one guy in particular needed a gearbox rebuild, of which he was quoted 6K, turns out he did it himself for a cost of $1200.

Anyone advice at all would be appreciated, and I am new to the forum so I hope I posted in an acceptable place.

Cheers,

Wes

wes_932 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is the Used Car 5 year Extended "AHG" Warranty worth it?

Almost 3 grand for a warranty that forces you to get your car serviced at inflated prices by the same dealership and capped claims? I'd say a big no to that one. They'd gouge you on the servicing. I think it would be wise to not go for anything but a factory extended warranty and not this 3rd party warranty.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
wes_932
Starter Motor

Fair call, the servicing part of it is stupid I agree. But what about the claims they make on legitimately paying out 2 grand for something that breaks. Like if I'm gonna be paying 2 and a half grand for a warranty and over 3 or 4 years the aircon goes, faulty computer and central locking. That's pretty much 2.5 grand right there + I'm sure there would be some other things along the way that would make it worth it.

Just wondering if anyone else at all has actually got this warranty and believe it to be beneficial?
Old 30-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
BAXR8_Ute

$289 seems very expensive for a service. I pay $170 for my XR8 with quality full synthetic oil. Granted its not a dealership, but the local bloke who's service is the best I've ever had. I wouldn't be forking out nearly $3000 for a warranty on a 3 yr old car either. There's not much that will go wrong while its that new
Old 30-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
wes_932
Starter Motor

Yeah it seems like a rip off for sure. I guess it's only every 6 months though, so willing to pay for it if this warranty is actually worth it.

Maybe I could try and barter them down to 2 grand and tell them I'm not gonna go for it unless it's that price.

Anyone else get roped into the AHG warranty and has something to say about it?

Cheers
Old 30-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Warranty is tied to the dealer you purchase from only, miss a service or doing one late will negate warranty....

Over priced warranty tied to one dealer only, too bad if you are interstate and something goes wrong....your cost to get it back to dealer.

Read the fine print.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
hawker

Do you know who the warranty is actually with? I was given a Harrier warranty with my second hand Ford Territory Turbo - the catch was to keep service with the dealer. If I was offered it as a paid extra, I wouldn't have got it. It would feel pretty much the same as: we want to rub your car with a dirty cloth and this super dooper stuff that will protect it from everything - and charge you $2000.

Personally - if you have to pay, if it's like my warranty - it isn't worth it. It's paid for nothing. I did have some big issues, checked my warranty, they wouldn't pay for it, thankfully the dealer went in to bat for me with Ford, and they agreed to a 75% / 25% split for the repairs. Ford paying the 75%.

That said, once it's over, I'll be taking my car somewhere else...

The dealer hasn't done too bad by me, but the service costs have been questionable.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

90% of these extended waranties are not worth the paper they are printed on .
Old 30-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Angeldust

I think it really depends on the dealership. If you get a good one, they will honour it.

The thing is they won't replace consumables or things that normally wear and tear, ie/ radiator, clutch etc

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
The thing is they won't replace consumables or things that normally wear and tear, ie/ radiator, clutch etc
I can see this being a major issue. You might think something has broken/failed and should be replaced under warranty. They might claim that it's just normal "wear and tear" or a "common replacement item".

Over a long enough time horizon, you could argue that almost anything is a "replacement item".

A warranty should give you peace of mind, but I'm not sure this one will.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the vehicle is still in the factory warranty period I would be purchasing a myFord extended warranty - this is the genuine extended warranty.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Work Horse
Budget Racer

And don't forget used cars have a statutory warranty.

An extended warranty should start after the statutory warranty finishes, but they never do. In effect you are paying for the statutory warranty.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant remeber the exact details but when my old man was still alive a few years ago when he brought the ute. the used car dealer he brought it off gave him an extened warranty he was happy with. the catch being he had too get it serviced every 6 months but he could take it to his mechanic of choice. I like that idea. instead of taking it to the dealers garage and get ripped off and worrying about wether a. there gunna do a good job or b. how much they will it charge. i dont think it set him back much either. next time i see mum i'll ask if she remebers how much it cost him. thou keep in mind this was about 4 years ago. $2750 seems like alot of money for a warranty to me.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

PM sent.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

$2750 for ANY type of warranty is too much. And the fact that you can only claim up to $2000 per incident means it's not going to help you much if you blow your trans. I would steer well clear.

And I bet the list of exclusions is as long as your arm.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You have to check what it covers. If its anything like normal used car warranties then its not much.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same warranty when I bought my GT. Had to be serviced every 6 months/10000kms at the dealer I bought it from. 12 months down the track they hadn't seen me , so I recieved a letter informing me of my obligations. One month after that, another letter cancelling the warranty. I have not seen the dealer since the day I picked up the car and it has never been serviced at a Ford dealer ever.
Now the crux of this is the warranty cost me nothing it was free and I wouldn't pay anything for it if I were you.
Your choice but way too many get outs for the insurer and in my opinion not worth the paper it's written on.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had something similar for my BA GT which was just out of manufacturers warranty when I bought it in 2008. Cost me $2,000 for 3 years and the conditions were that it be serviced where I bought it every 6 months (a Ford Dealership 50+ kms from where I live) and a $2k cap per claim. Had the tensioners done during the first 6 months under the warranty. I then decided after a year that I wanted to get the car serviced at Autotech and get some mods done which meant the warranty I paid for was now void. Waste of money
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
BAXR8_Ute

Anything that needs watermelon tits to sell it is a scam!!!
Old 30-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I wouldnt touch it, they are basically useless and will only cover certain componants.
Put the 3k in the bank and if you have a drama your covered.

The service costs are rediculous.

Oh, congrats on the purchase.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

AHG... enough said.

Go and get a Ford Extended warranty instead if the cars under 3 years / 100,000 kms.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
AHG... enough said.

Go and get a Ford Extended warranty instead if the cars under 3 years / 100,000 kms.
Totally agree. AHG are a very difficult crowd to deal with in my experience with
Very expensive servicing so the real cost of the warranty is significantly higher than what it appears. The $2K claim limit is a joke for what you're being asked to pay. If you can't get the Ford Extended warranty i'd keep your cash in your pocket and wear the risk yourself. Pretty girls with big breasts are a dead giveaway that they're trying to put one over you...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget it waste of money. Spend the money on lotto tickets instead, you'll have more chance of getting any money you need for a claim.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #24
wes_932
Starter Motor

Wow thanks a lot boys. Was not expecting such in depth and informative replys! I was thinking that it sounds too good to be true.
They have to make money some way and by doing that I guess a regular thing day aircon compressor install which should cost around a grand will be quoted at 2800 or something dtupid so you'll end up paying 800 anyway!

I  
will steer clear of the paid warranty and I'm holding thumbs that there is still a month or 2 on the new car warranty so I can extend the ford factory warranty.

Thanks again for the help boys, and cheers BUNT 8, hopefully will be getting the car tomorrow or Thursday!! Can't wait..

Wes
Old 30-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_932
Wow thanks a lot boys. Was not expecting such in depth and informative replys! I was thinking that it sounds too good to be true.
They have to make money some way and by doing that I guess a regular thing day aircon compressor install which should cost around a grand will be quoted at 2800 or something dtupid so you'll end up paying 800 anyway!

I  
will steer clear of the paid warranty and I'm holding thumbs that there is still a month or 2 on the new car warranty so I can extend the ford factory warranty.

Thanks again for the help boys, and cheers BUNT 8, hopefully will be getting the car tomorrow or Thursday!! Can't wait..

Wes
The Ford new car warranty starts when the car is first registered... If its under 3 years from that date then you can talk to Ford about a My Ford extended warranty. Last quote I got for an FG GT was 1650 for an extra 3 years.

Goodluck.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
wes_932
Starter Motor

Nice! I think it will be very close, by the looks of the number plates, the car is from late 09, hopefully will be just under 3 years since it was bought. I'm guessing even if the warranty has expired for a month or so there would be no way of convincing ford to let you re initiate a 3 year warranty extension...?

Cheers
Old 31-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few of these extended warranties around. As said here, if you can get a Ford extended warranty go for that as it will cover all costs of any claim. I got this on the AU and cost around $700 and found it worth every cent.If I remember correctly, the car had to still be under the normal warranty period and had to have less than 85,000Ks on the clock.But even this extended warranty is not done by Ford but an insurance company, just you go through a Ford dealer for any claims and the servicing has to be done by a Ford dealer.
If the car is past this(warranty period or milage), you don't have much choice.
I picked up a 2003 BMW Z4 for the wife a while ago and since it was out of warranty looked around to see what was available. I found one you could get one that covered all costs of repairs if the vehicle was under 5yrs old. Since the BMW was older than that all I could get was one that would cover costs up to a certain price.
Since I had no other choice I figured some cash back on any repairs is better than nothing.Paid around $1600 for a 3yr warranty, but at the time they had offer that gave me a 5yr warranty for the price of a 3yr one. With all claims I have to pay an excess of $200, but if the cost exceeds their limit I have to pay the difference.This covers all mech,electrical,computers and any factory options.
With this warranty, like all of them you have to have the car serviced every 6mths or 10,000K's but I can get it serviced anywhere I want to as long as it is done by a qualified mechanic/garage.
We have had the BMW for about 18mths now and I have claimed for an alternator(cost $1500/paid $200) and recently the auto box died(cost$5700/paid $3200) and had no hassels with the claims. So I feel I have got my money back and saved me a few dollars as well and I have 3 1/2 yrs warranty left.
But in the end it is up to you if you think they are worth it or not.Like any insurance, you hope not to claim but if you have to it can save you a few dollars.
Just to let you know, the one I got is not "AGH"
Old 31-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #28
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

i buy alot of cars... 5 cars in 6 years.

most of these have come from the same dealership (4), and each time i get to meet the ming mole.

only this broad has the saggiest set of melons, and a face like a cats bum lol.

for the last 3 times ive seen her its been a resolute NO. get out.

she didnt even bother last time lol.

ive had a lady at work get suckered into this trap, 2000$ warranty covers up to 2200$ if something breaks. Great idea she thought!

and sure enough, didnt she feel proud when something did go wrong (alternator). wow that warranty i bought will pay off!

errrr wrong! the cost of the alternator fitted was $3500 LOL

she would have had to pay 1500 for a part that i sourced for her in the end fitted for 450$ at my trusted mechanic.

most of these are a scam.

i would consider genuine factory warranty extension, that seems alright, both ford and holdens seem rather well done.

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #29
wes_932
Starter Motor

Great info guys, thanks a lot for all this. Icevalk, reckon you would have given in if she was a bit more easy on the eyes? Haha..

Lotus, I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask if the car still has it's factory warranty, which I have done informally once or twice with a response of "I dunno I'll find out" (meaning jokes I do know I just don't want you to extend the factory warranty I want to rip you off with the AHG one!). If not I'll have a look at another bought warranty. Just out of interest which company did you get the warranty for your wife's BMW with?

Cheers.

Wes
Old 31-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The warranty I've got is with AWN (Australian Warranty Network).
As I said they do have one like extended factory warranty for cars under 5yrs but you would have to check it out to make sure it covers everything and also the cost.
With the one I've got, you can get 3 different types. They all cover the same things, just different $ limits on repairs.
Hope that helps.