Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which PULP does your Fiesta like?

I dont think there's a thread like this here in the Fiesta section, so I thought I'd start one.

So, which PULP do you normally use on your Fiesta? Ever since I've got my Fiesta, I've tryed Optimax Extreme, Optimax, Vortex98, Vortex, V-Power, V-Power Racing and BP Ultimate.
Anything 98RON from above list felt better than the 95RON. I've just filled up with V-Power Racing, I havent filled up with it for 6 months or so. I can tell you that it certainly feels different compared to the 98RON fuels. The engine sounds angrier yet felt smoother all around (ie : VH level is improved). I also notice that the car is slightly more responsive than before.
Fuel economy-wise, ime, there's no difference between 95, 98 and 100RON PULP.

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Jess85

i just put the Coles Express (Shell) Unleaded petrol in my car
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use mainly 95RON from BP.
Old 20-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I use Vortex98 or Shell VPower. I found Vortex98 more smoother but less econ, where ast Vpower is the opposite. Did try Vpower racing once, great stuff but econ was very very bad.
Old 20-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i only use Vortex98. i would be using the BPultimate 100RON but when you have a fuel card that pays for your petrol and you dont have to worry about it.....you tend to just use the best you got.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

My best ever results have been on a 50/50 mix of Caltex Vortex and Caltex Vortex 98. It did a combined average of 5.82L/100km. Which is absolutley awesome for Sydney driving in spring (that's when it was, October last year) with almost constant a/c use. So I heavily favour Caltex fuel.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
darkcloud

"It did a combined average of 5.82L/100km." wow thats awesome, and with a/c too. this summer my other family members were driving my fez (i was away on holiday after hsc =) ) and the fuel econ was not too good. filled it up just last week and the DTE showd something like 350-400km, not too good eh? its vortex98 btw... shud try caltex next time
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vortex98 or BP Ultimate here, I only ever use 98 in the Fiesta, the missus Lancer gets the rubbish 91.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i only use Vortex98. i would be using the BPultimate 100RON but when you have a fuel card that pays for your petrol and you dont have to worry about it.....you tend to just use the best you got.
Lucky.

Btw, BP Ultimate is 98RON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
I use Vortex98 or Shell VPower. Did try V-Power racing once, great stuff but econ was very very bad.
I actually only used V-Power Racing for 1-2 tanks, I havent been using them much to be able to tell the average fuel economy. However, I used to use Optimax Extreme for 2 months straight. Fuel economy is the same with 98RON... but Optimax Extreme did get sucked out heaps when the needle go past 4000rpm
Old 21-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
scotty3d
Starter Motor

V-Power racing is the way to go, I haven't even bothered to take note of fuel ecomomy, but I know it's not good, could be probably due to the way I'm driving it. Great fun though, the engine certainly feels to be punching out more than the claimed 74kw, revs hard all the way to the cutout. I mean seriously, who spends the extra on 100 octane petrol to cruise around chasing the best economy. I'll leave that for the Hybrid owners out there, who I'm sure can tell us to the 100th of a litre how much they're saving the planet. Sure V-power racing or whatever it's called this month is always cheaper on a Tuesday, but who can get the chance to fill up then. I know I can't due to the queues, mostly Mercedes, BMW and Lexus owners who want to save $2 a tank with their $100,000 vehicles. Against this push and shove for the pump on a Tuesday me and my Fiesta just don't stand a chance.
scotty3d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

lol..

i averaged 6.7 when i went to melb and that was with Air con on all the time...

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3d
Sure V-power racing or whatever it's called this month is always cheaper on a Tuesday, but who can get the chance to fill up then. I know I can't due to the queues, mostly Mercedes, BMW and Lexus owners who want to save $2 a tank with their $100,000 vehicles. Against this push and shove for the pump on a Tuesday me and my Fiesta just don't stand a chance.
Tuesday late at night?

With Shell, normally I fill up on the way to work. I start at 6:30-7:00am so no queue whatsoever. Petrol is still cheap Wednesday morning.
Old 21-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
Sonia

I like the 8000 stuff (98 RON) from Mobil.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Swaytan
Swaytan

I've filled up with whatever BP's 98 RON petrol is the last 4 tanks. Seems to be more responsive...
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
scotty3d
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Tuesday late at night?

With Shell, normally I fill up on the way to work. I start at 6:30-7:00am so no queue whatsoever. Petrol is still cheap Wednesday morning.

Yes, your right, with a bit of forward planning it's not a problem, but all in all a cheap performance upgrade no matter what time of the week you fill.

On another note, apparently, BP make a 102 octane fuel, now commercially available in Europe. This is the same octane rating as that used in Formula 1. Now it really does pack some punch, BP's testing was showed it gave a regular 2.0L Focus an extra 17bhp or 15% more power over regular 98 octane. Hope it comes here, however it would probably cost $2.00 a litre if it did, so my Fiesta would only be getting this as a special treat. Cheaper than an XR4 upgrade though, but then what would it be like in one of those ?
scotty3d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #16
crispymk2

V-Power Racing has 5% ethanol... Quote from Shell website: "And now you'll find 98 octane New Shell V-Power (which replaces Shell Optimax) and New Shell V-Power Racing (100 octane with 5% ethanol), which replaces Shell Optimax Extreme."

Wont be using it in my fez... or the cortina... ethanol gives me the shits...

Last edited by crispymk2; 21-02-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling = atrocious
crispymk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What problems do ethanol give u?
Old 21-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispymk2
Wont be using it in my fez... or the cortina... ethanol gives me the shits...
You do know Europe uses 5% ethanol fuels? No problem running it in the Fiesta they are made for it
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
crispymk2

My cortina certainly doesnt like it...

It's the principals behind it... it is marketed as a cleaner alternative yet it takes more energy to produce it than it yields.

Granted 5% is shown to be ok in most cars, 10% is not recommended by many car manufacturers.

But I'm concerned that soon we wont have a choice and non ethanol fuel will be phased out... long time away i kno, but a distinct possibility
Old 24-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
My cortina certainly doesnt like it...

It's the principals behind it... it is marketed as a cleaner alternative yet it takes more energy to produce it than it yields.

Granted 5% is shown to be ok in most cars, 10% is not recommended by many car manufacturers.

But I'm concerned that soon we wont have a choice and non ethanol fuel will be phased out... long time away i kno, but a distinct possibility
All petrol in the USA is E10. You can't get anything else. So if cars work fine there, why would it cause problems here?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Ford Fiesta is still ok to run with E10 fuels.
Old 24-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
0xyg3n

I use a blend of 50/50 orange and lemon pulp in my fiesta.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #23
crispymk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
The Ford Fiesta is still ok to run with E10 fuels.
I said many car manufacturers, for example subaru does not recommend higher than 5% used in its turbo charged vehicles...

And as for no ill effects for americans using only E10, bet some would disagree, increased engine noise and more frequent maintenance has been reported by some users on american car forums

I simply wont be using it... until i dont have a choice, which is the thing I am unhappy about because ethanol is not as green and environmentally friendly as they are making out...

btw I work @ a servo where I get internal information and updates on the reaction to the new fuels... many people have serious complaints.

Each to their own I guess
Old 25-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #24
Danny
GT4.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Ethanol Blends either, even if they reckon its 100RON. I won't be putting it in my car, and I certainly didn't put it in the Fez (It's not approved for the "european" LR focus, so there's a cross against Pie's argument).

On the other note, my favourite fuel is BP ultimate 98, and then followed by Mobil's 9000. I only use shell if its absolutely necesary.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
(It's not approved for the "european" LR focus, so there's a cross against Pie's argument).
NOPE
E5 fuel is suitable for use in the LR focus

http://www.autoindustries.com.au/eth.../00000005.html
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Ah E10 is a no... I knew it was something like that..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #27
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Fuel economy-wise, ime, there's no difference between 95, 98 and 100RON PULP.
I retract my statement. After using it for 2 tanks back to back...I had the best fuel economy with V-Power Racing. (Normal driving style).
Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #28
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I "upgraded" from 95 to 98. It has made a difference (even though there's no trip computer) in fuel economy. 3 blocks lasted me quite a while
Old 06-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Ive been running V-Power Racing in 3 different configurations. Stock with stock filter, BMC CDA with cold air and BMC without cold air.

Surprisingly i got the best fuel economy with the BMC with cold air piping on. The car also made more power in this configuration, ran smoother and in normal driving was quieter (anything less than 50% throttle and there in NO noise which I like).

Without the cold air piping the car sounded aggressive but ate the petrol like no tomorrow
Old 14-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #30
Als_Zetec
Rated G

I find that the Caltex Vortex (95 or 98) give me better economy than the Shell offerings. The 98 of course gives better performance than the 95. I haven't given much of a go with the Mobil fuels, as there aren't many (any??) on my usual routes.

That said, the Shell fuels give better performance, but at least 20 and up to 40 Km less per tank, depending on driving conditions (traffic, driving style etc).

I found that the way to really test the effect of a fuel different to what you used in the previous fill is to run the tank as dry as possible then fill the fuel you want to test. The real results will come out during your second full fill, or perhaps your third fill.

My 4c discount voucher worth
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post