Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Pistonbroke

Default Holden Vs Ford future strategy

Looks like Holden's philosophy is all about choice, where as Fords is the opposite.

Quote:
THE future of the Holden Commodore is about to be made safer thanks to the Chevrolet Malibu.

The all-new, global mid-sized car is seen in public for the first time at the New York Motor Show and Chevrolet boss Mark Reuss says it will be a boost - not a threat - to the Commodore.

GM Holden has already confirmed the Malibu as a Holden and Reuss, the former top man at Fishermans Bend, believes the two-car strategy will work well in Australia.

"I think it actually, in some strange ways, secures some of the rear- wheel drive production that we have there because it's so different. The cars are so different," Reuss tells Carsguide. "And I think we're going to be able to demonstrate that at Holden. That's very important."

Reuss cannot resist a slight swipe at Ford over ongoing speculation about the Falcon, and the potential to eventually twin it beyond 2015 with the Taurus from the USA instead of leaving it as a uniquely local vehicle.

"Where you see some makers converging on one type of vehicle, we're going to have two different vehicles. I think it's important because there are a lot of different tastes we'll be able to satisfy."

Reuss set the Holden product plan before he was called back to the top job at Chevrolet in the USA and knows what is expected from the Malibu as it joins the compact Cruze and the Commodore. "I was there when it was signed off. I think it's going to be very good in Australia. I think it's very relevant," he says of the Malibu.

Reuss also believes there is a place for cars which drive from opposite ends, with the Malibu able to compete with rivals including the Toyota Camry while the Commodore continues to line up against the Falcon. "I think front-wheel drive, and rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive are very different. The package will be very different."

Without going into detail, Reuss says the Malibu line-up is likely to be extended with other body types, perhaps including a coupe and a station wagon. The car is built on what GM calls its 'Epsilon platform' and that can be capped with a variety of body styles, as well as being adaptable for production in the USA, China and Korea, which will supply the Malibu for Australia.

"I think there are a lot of variants that are Epsilon based that we are looking at. The turnaround time would be very short. "Anything is a possibility on that. The wagons may become a relevant point that we want to leverage," he says.

Reuss refuses - again - to comment on persistent speculation about a major new export deal based on the Commodore, perhaps with the Aussie ute joining Chevrolet's pickup range to provide a more fuel-efficient contender than some of its current line-up.
Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Holden Vs Ford future strategy

Can't see how that strategy is any different to what Ford have now with the Mondeo and Falcon, which Holden are going to copy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

wasn't this in another thread??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just want to see some interesting, eye-catching, and creative TV adverts for the Falcon, like we see for the Commodore.

Can't remember the last Tv advert I saw for the Falcon...I can remember at least five different ones over the last six months for Commodores...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

so whats the best holden ad?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
wasn't this in another thread??
Yes..I posted it a few days ago!!!!!
Old 30-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that article is stupid, at least the comments are from Mark Reuss. If GM sells the Commodore along side the Impala, that would be like Falcon and Taurus going together, but he is talking about a 4 cyl mid-size being sold along side a 6 cyl large sedan. That's about as unique to the auto industry as selling a car with 4 wheels. Way to go GM!!! Innovation!!! Yeah!!! Glad we bailed you out for that!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Well, all I can say is that Holden have done well in the mid sized market with Epica....

.... .....I'm sorry, I can't hold a straight face and say that......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best recent Holden advert was, of course, the "ute" ad showing the ute morphing through the years from the 48-215 onwards to the new one.

Other good ones include a lot of the recent ones with specials like the Redline edition and adverts showing families with thier economical SIDI Commodore going on trips through picturesque surroundings.

Our G6E gets amazing economy for a car it's size, feels great on the open road, and looks good carving through a sweeping set of sun-dappled bends as well...but unfortunately no one gets to see that in a TV advert...

Ford seems to be like a small corner store which feels it can just rely on word of mouth and good will to survive, without spending money on advertising or being aware that there are perfectly good alternative places to go shopping that are actively going for the customers throat.
"Oh don't worry...we don't need to do any of that fancy advertising...people will surely keep coming...they've always liked us...we've got a strong customer base...we're a traditional part of the landscape.
Hmm..haven't heard the front door bell ring for a while...where's everyone gone...?"
Old 30-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Ford seems to be like a small corner store which feels it can just rely on word of mouth and good will to survive, without spending money on advertising or being aware that there are perfectly good alternative places to go shopping that are actively going for the customers throat.
"Oh don't worry...we don't need to do any of that fancy advertising...people will surely keep coming...they've always liked us...we've got a strong customer base...we're a traditional part of the landscape.
Hmm..haven't heard the front door bell ring for a while...where's everyone gone...?"
That's exactly right. When are they gonna wake up to themselves? It's not 1986 anymore and the Falcon isn't everybody's default choice.
Old 30-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
That's exactly right. When are they gonna wake up to themselves? It's not 1986 anymore and the Falcon isn't everybody's default choice.
That's probably the best way to put it...wish I'd have thought of it. "Default choice".
Yes indeed, probably before the mid-90's, you went to look for a "large family car", and looked at Commodore and Falcon. If you didn't like the Commodore, you almost "automatically" went to look at a Falcon. I honestly knew people at the time who put off buying a car altogether until either Holden or Ford came out with a new model to see if it was more in line with what they were after...they simply refused to look at anything but Ford or Holden.

Now the choice is wide, varied, and there are some very interesting alternatives available. The only thing holding a measurable number of people back is the little matter of rear wheel drive. With a lot of front drivers now, as motoring writers say, 90% of drivers wouldn't even realise, know, or care which end is being driven.
Toyota is bringing out the FT86 on a rear drive platform, Lexus's are mainly rear drivers...if they (or one of the other foreign makers) started bringing out a major affordable large car in a rear drive platform, it would put the cat amongst the pidgeons...

After all, it's only protectionist tarriffs and taxes that mean that 3 and 5 series BMW's and some of the lower model large Mercedes Benz sedans are treated as "luxury" cars and must be priced accordingly...go to Germany and you see plenty of various models of BMW's and Benzes in taxi ranks that here would be gracing the CEO's parking space...

We were mainly looking at an SV6 or XR6...on the point of in-dealership advertising, Holden couldn't throw enough brochures and paperwork at us, but the Ford dealer had no up-to-date brochures, and had to lead us around to describe the current colors and features to us.
I can tell you though that we were also heavily leaning towards a Suzuki Kizashi AWD sedan. The standard features were amazing, the interior a comfortable and pleasant place to be, and it handled like it was on rails, had a huge boot and awesome stereo, besides looking damn fine in red with black leather guts. The only thing that let it down was a bit of a lack of power. Even the salesman at Suzuki grinned and said "A few people have said that, but later this year a turbo version of this is coming out at a small price premium...watch those buggers walk off the showroom floor in droves...".

Last edited by 2011G6E; 30-04-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I would like to see more different levels as dealer stock.

You go to a dealer and its all the same just with different colours.

XR6 is meant to be a big seller but you can only get the base model...nothing else.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's probably the best way to put it...wish I'd have thought of it. "Default choice".
Yes indeed, probably before the mid-90's, you went to look for a "large family car", and looked at Commodore and Falcon. If you didn't like the Commodore, you almost "automatically" went to look at a Falcon. I honestly knew people at the time who put off buying a car altogether until either Holden or Ford came out with a new model to see if it was more in line with what they were after...they simply refused to look at anything but Ford or Holden.

Now the choice is wide, varied, and there are some very interesting alternatives available. The only thing holding a measurable number of people back is the little matter of rear wheel drive. With a lot of front drivers now, as motoring writers say, 90% of drivers wouldn't even realise, know, or care which end is being driven.
Toyota is bringing out the FT86 on a rear drive platform, Lexus's are mainly rear drivers...if they (or one of the other foreign makers) started bringing out a major affordable large car in a rear drive platform, it would put the cat amongst the pidgeons...

After all, it's only protectionist tarriffs and taxes that mean that 3 and 5 series BMW's and some of the lower model large Mercedes Benz sedans are treated as "luxury" cars and must be priced accordingly...go to Germany and you see plenty of various models of BMW's and Benzes in taxi ranks that here would be gracing the CEO's parking space...

We were mainly looking at an SV6 or XR6...on the point of in-dealership advertising, Holden couldn't throw enough brochures and paperwork at us, but the Ford dealer had no up-to-date brochures, and had to lead us around to describe the current colors and features to us.
I can tell you though that we were also heavily leaning towards a Suzuki Kizashi AWD sedan. The standard features were amazing, the interior a comfortable and pleasant place to be, and it handled like it was on rails, had a huge boot and awesome stereo, besides looking damn fine in red with black leather guts. The only thing that let it down was a bit of a lack of power. Even the salesman at Suzuki grinned and said "A few people have said that, but later this year a turbo version of this is coming out at a small price premium...watch those buggers walk off the showroom floor in droves...".
I gotta tell you guys; I sure wish I didn't care what wheels drove the car.
I would save a lot of money if I didn't care what I was driving.