Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Default 03 BA XT to 06 VE Omega V - Worth $6k changeover?

I have a 2003 BA XT Falcon with 129,924 kms - originally paid $6,300 for it over 2 years ago now. I can probably still sell it at a profit now, maybe $7,500.

Looking at getting a 2006 VE Omega V in silver for ~$13,500 with ~ 100,000 kms

Do you think for a car 3 years newer, with 30,000 kms less, effectively the next generation model up (BA/BF vs VY/VZ) and (FG vs VE), it's worth $6k changeover?

I really like the exterior look of the VE Omega V in silver. I like both of the interiors of the VE and BA, but the VE is in my opinion worse than the FG, but is better than the BA (BA looks nice but bits fall apart - console lid, cup holder etc). So from the exterior and interior look and feel of the car, I much prefer the VE.

Only thing I wouldn't really like is I'd be going into a heavier car with a less powerful engine. What is the Falcon 4sp box like compared to the revised 4sp auto in the VE. Better or worse? What about the Barra 182 vs the standard alloytec? I thought the Falcon had the better gearbox even in the 4sp auto and the better engine.

What would you do if you weren't biased towards either manufacturer?

Link of the 2 cars (specs/price) below:

REDBOOK COMPARISON

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House

Last edited by BA Falcon; 10-06-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: add link
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
seduced_xr
BF XR6

only drove a VE for 10 minutes on a test drive while picking dads new car so cant really help you there, but the interiors on the VE dont hold up any better then the BA, the one we drove the glovebox lid wouldnt close and the centre console was cracked.

dad test drove both VE and BF in 06. bought the BF, we drove the VE and the FG in december 09 and now have the FG.

good luck
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Sorry I should mention that we also have a VE Calais V and two FG R6 utes in the family, so have driven and continue to drive them on a regular basis in addition to my BA XT. The Calais V is pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of the lack of visibility from the A-pillars and would be something I'd have to deal with if I got a VE myself.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Poidevin

I went from an BA falcon to a VE omega, I now use the VE as my daily drive.
IMO the only gain out of it is that you will get a newer car, the VE alloytec is terrible compared to the barra motor. The VE 4sp gearbox is nothing to get excited about but the sport shift mode does make it fun. You already know about visibilty from inside the VE.
Also mechinically sepaking my AU falcon has been more reliable than my VE, my VE has had multiple electrical issues (factory fault), had a couple of engine parts replaced multiple times due to them wearing down and has a couple of general faults.

For $6K the changeover might be worth it but it really comes down to which car you like better.

Hope that helps.
Poidevin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

$6k changeover is pretty reasonable, you just have to decide whether you want the VE. What about the BF?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

As Rodp suggests, what about the BF? You can get a BF XT at the auctions for under 10K these days and you'll end up with a newer car and less K's.
The VE is the first car I have come across that should have a different message on the mirrors; "Objects in mirror may appear invisible behind all that bodywork"

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think from a purely value perspective its actually a pretty good changeover figure you have been given. Over the longer term the VE would keep its value better purely being a new gen shape which will still be produced over the next few years. I guess you have to weigh up whether the six grand is worth it for the (small) gains you get.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Personally I dont think I could own an alloytech vehicle. Im not just talking about power/ harshness either but reliability. The things are always leaking and you wont have a waranty anymore.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

For me the standard drivetrain of the Omega is a deal breaker. It's woeful. Looks wise and construction quality I think they are much of a muchness, although the VE I feel is screwed together better than the BA inside.

Personally I would wait until FG's get cheaper or buy a BF.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven my brother inlaws VE omega and I can't believe how bad it is. The motor struggles and the gearbox doesn't help. To me the interior is bland and feels cheap and don't get me started on the handbrake. I don't know how many times I've gotten my fingers caught. I haven't driven the higer spec commodores but I would be looking to get into something higher up.
I have an 04 BA Fairmont Ghia and it leaves it for dead. Thats not comparing the interior as they are 2 different levels. But just motor/gearbox the BA is alot better and that the 4spd BA. The Commodores just doesn't want to get going whereas the Falcon just wants to do the hard work straight away.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah see if you can find a BF with a ZF, that is a good combo and as pretty damn close to being as good as a I6 n/a FG with a ZF.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Falcon
I have a 2003 BA XT Falcon with 129,924 kms - originally paid $6,300 for it over 2 years ago now. I can probably still sell it at a profit now, maybe $7,500.

Looking at getting a 2006 VE Omega V in silver for ~$13,500 with ~ 100,000 kms

6 k for 30000 klm. Seems expensive to me.
And, the interior bits you mention were broken by carelessness, they didn't "fall apart"! Myself, I had a work Ute BA with 170k and the interior was without fault, while My parents have clocked 300000k with their 2 BA's and I can report that having driven there 140000 BAII it is the same.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Kryton

Ive driven both and i wouldnt bother with the VE personally - especially a povo pack.
I had the Berlina for a day and it was loud, gutless and annoying to say the least.
Couldnt wait to give it back and get back to the BA.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Peronally I would.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Be looking into an upper spec BF for the 6K difference. Cant stand the lego plastic dash and plastics in the VE. About as subtle and soft as a sledgehammer.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As has been said already I would be looking for a BF. I have driven countless B-series cars and a number of VE's. The VE handles well but thats about it for me...... the BF on the other hand is a pretty well rounded and refined package with a far superior driveline. Much nicer car all round if you ask me.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
351capri
windsorman

man i cant begin to comprehend someone willing to spend $6k to go backwards. hold onto your 6k until you come accross a deal on a newer falcon!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

go a BF.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

On second thoughts, maybe not. My reaction is simply due to the cheapness of the VE, Are you sure it's an Omega V not just an Omega? Cos if it's an omega V then it's about 3k too cheap. Buy and onsell?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #20
iliov
Banned

go bf xt with zf. you wont be disappointed.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

U will get a BFII Futura for 13 kay, better value!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
g220ba
FGX XR8

Does the omega V even exist? I thought it went along the lines of Omega, Berlina, SV6.....

I really wouldn't bother ,save a few more dollars and get yourself into something a bit better. If a VE is something you want save and get yourself into a calais or calais V.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #23
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't do it.
The BA Falcon is a better car than the VE - particularly in base model form.
As far as drivetrains go - it's a no brainer.

VE might be a newer shape than BA, but the VE shape itself is still very, very old hat / dated in 2010.

Stick with the BA and upgrade to something better than a VE Omega when the time's right and / or you have more cash (save).
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Omega V was an Omega with alloys, met paint, spoiler and a 'V' badge on the boot. It was a special run in 2006-07 only.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #25
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i totally agree with all the pos and neg comments on both cars(most coments on both cars are now brocken records) and cant help wondering the style of thread if you posted this on a holden thread..Would be a good read i reckon......there is nooo waaaay they could believe the ve is a better overall package....surely
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
xls3v

dont do it ve sucks to drive unless you get a good one which is out of your price range
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #27
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

A little off topic but WHAT do you guys do to your interiors???!?
My partner has an 03 BA futura and the interior is fantastic. The only things that I can fault is the steering wheel has worn at the top and the silver has started to bubble on the gearshift surround. Everything else is like new, including the cup holder lid! there are NO squeaks or rattles, good gaps etc the car is driven over a very rough road everyday on the way to her work
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #28
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
A little off topic but WHAT do you guys do to your interiors???!?
My partner has an 03 BA futura and the interior is fantastic. The only things that I can fault is the steering wheel has worn at the top and the silver has started to bubble on the gearshift surround. Everything else is like new, including the cup holder lid! there are NO squeaks or rattles, good gaps etc the car is driven over a very rough road everyday on the way to her work
Yeah, treat it like crap and it will end up that way.

Are you aware of the recall for the early VEs 2006, 07?... excessive water leaks into the cabin from the fire wall to floor pan spot welds.

TBH no matter what financial state I'm in, I couldn't justify spending 13 grand on a base model 4 year old car (that will most likely halve in value within three years), but each to their own. You may regret it a couple of months down the track when you start to miss the I6.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #29
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Thank you all for the abundance of responses guys!

You have all definitely persuaded me to stick with the BA for at least another couple of years. It's hard to say, but going forward, an FG is probably what I'll end up getting. The cheapest I can get right now for an FG XT with fairly high kms is ~ $20k.

If I can get an 08 FG XT for the low teens in 2 years time I'd probably go that route. 06 BF II XTs are being traded in for $11k - $13k now so I'd be hoping to be able to get an FG XT for about $13k in 2 years.

P.S. Yes - the car I would be getting would be an Omega V which is basically an Omega plus the following features:

Fully coloured coded (door handles and mirrors)
Rear spoiler
17" rims
Corner Braking Control

Thanks again guys!

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House

Last edited by BA Falcon; 10-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #30
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by xls3v
dont do it ve sucks to drive unless you get a good one which is out of your price range
hahahaha mate there is no good ve there all ******