Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fuels

What fuel do you use in your cars?

Since my daily drive is nothing special, I use E91 Shell with an 8 cent discount per litre.

My dad told me about 2 years ago that Shell has bad fuel. He also reckons ethanol is bad as well. But I have been using it for ages with no problems.

Do you have a fuel brand you are dedicated too? Or just whatever is closet/cheapest.
It probably all comes from the exact same place anyway.

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like alot of members here, I only use BP Ultimate. Even try and con my old man into using it for the mower, so if need be, I have a spare 5L or so at home
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of motocycle riders avoid Shell fuel for some reason. My tuner told me to stick with BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex (both 98). Have stuck to them & have never had any issues.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
blueluvr

LOL!, " shell has bad fuel" That sounds very scientific

I have been running 95 or 98 shell in my std BFT for 50,000km, and am yet to have any fuel related problems. No particular reason except it's convenient to my house.

Peter, you are probably referring to the old optimax bike "issue". Optimax used to be pretty ordinary on bikes with carbs mainly, which is why it got a bad name. There was nothing wrong with it as a fuel, but it caused a rich issue which in some bikes that were a little lean to begin with it actually helped, and those that were a little rich to begin with, made them worse of course.
blueluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
What fuel do you use in your cars?

Since my daily drive is nothing special, I use E91 Shell with an 8 cent discount per litre.

My dad told me about 2 years ago that Shell has bad fuel. He also reckons ethanol is bad as well. But I have been using it for ages with no problems.

Do you have a fuel brand you are dedicated too? Or just whatever is closet/cheapest.
It probably all comes from the exact same place anyway.
Ethanol fuels apparently do effect cars not specifically built for it. It is more corrosive and thus eats at or dries rubber bits, something like that, the fuel system components.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueluvr

Well the real way it was worded was Shell has S#*% fuel.
But my old man has had bikes all his life so I guess that may be why he does like it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
blueluvr

shell fuel is fine. And there was only a ever a shell fuel problem when they introduced optimax back when they did. And it was only a problem in some bikes as mentioned earlier.

However, I do understand how "old mans" can get , mine has some old wives tales that would bring you to tears!
blueluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

caltex 91 cause im poor
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LPG and Diesel.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

LPG

Because I like my fuel the same price all month
Because I like paying less tax
Because I like not having black oil
Because I like not replacing my exhaust
Because I like being able to pay with a lobbie
Because I like to hate oil companies
Because I like to have a bowser to myself
Because I like to accellerate without worry!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Used to use Shell optimax, found it to be the best avaliable in it's day. Now LPG on all vehicles, both fords lol. later.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Freedom 98RON E10. Simply because its the same price as BP 91RON up here, and goes as hard as Ultimate. And my XR8 needs premium dude!

My older vehicles get Ultimate though. As they require it.

Other brands dont even get a thought.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex (both 98)..
You may know this but Caltex have "Vortex" and "Vortex 98" Vortex is 95 octane, I know some people that have purchased Vortex thinking they were getting 98 octane fuel

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Shell V-power (98)
Never had a problem. Dad used to use optimax when it came out and never had a problem with it either.

But if I need fuel badly I will go to the closest BP or Caltex to get 98 as well.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
kezzer

Shell supplies 98 to most fuel stations in Vic including BP. So don't be fooled.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
You may know this but Caltex have "Vortex" and "Vortex 98" Vortex is 95 octane, I know some people that have purchased Vortex thinking they were getting 98 octane fuel
The Vortex 95 is labeled Gold
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #17
Foylema
BOOST

I use P100 from united its 100 octane with 10% ethanol turbos love it

But if that's not available i use BP Ultimate
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

LPG :-P

Although the XG gets 96RON premium (it pings on the regular stuff) and my bikes almost always get BP Ultimate 98.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Caltex 91 in the Soob because its cheap(er) and im a tightarse, might have to switch to 98 though. Falcon gets no less than Caltex 95, somtimes gets 98.
They seem to supply good fuel, ever since i began driving ive used Caltex supplied fuels, so ive stuck with them.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #20
bmorris

98 from either BP or Shell. I find both seem to run almost as well as each other.
bmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #21
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever's cheapest...lol. I try to avoid my local Woolworths Caltex due to it's bad reputation though.
But I usually run BP Ultimate in the EL every four tanks. I don't notice any difference in performance but it does run a lot smoother on 98 octane.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #22
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
LPG
Because I like to hate oil companies
Can't help myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .
What Is LPG
LPG is produced during the normal petrol chemical distilling process of crude oil and the letters LPG stand for Liquefied Petroleum Gas

Also, BP Ultimate in the V8, Anything BUT E10 in the Falcon.

GSAU
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #23
FgNewbie
Australia

In my G6 n/a, normally Caltex 98, 95 when prices are excessive.

I won't use ethanol in anything, especially the boat.

If I remember correctly, there was a news story of a service station in Sydney's west that was selling a dud ethanol mix causing cars to break down within minutes of leaving the servo.

Slightly OT, I read this article today
http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-a...eid/69062.aspx

The owners of Queensland’s 232,000 recreational boats could be facing serious cost issues if a proposed ethanol mandate is given the go-ahead by the Queensland Government, said recreational boating and light commercial representative group Marine Queensland.

Boating is the wrong environment for ethanol blended fuel. If the slightest amount of water comes in contact with ethanol-blended fuel the alcohol will separate and what enters the motor will cause damage.

I thought water in servo tanks was normal, does this mean the same issues may apply to cars?
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I used to use vortex 98 exclusively and on occasions BP ultimate (if they were cheaper). The Mini is salary packaged and as a part of that I have a caltex card, the typhoon isn't but I stilled filled at the same place. I pretty much have to use 98 as both cars are turbo and although they can both run 95 (the mini can actually run 91 according to the book but I never have). I tried running them on 95 and to be honest I did not notice too much of a difference over 98, perhaps a little more power on the 98.

I have now found that caltex is always more expensive than the independents so I have changed now. I now use Freedom 98, I get it from a small family run servo down the road and it is consistently 5c/L cheaper than the woolworths/caltex in my area. Both cars like it and I have not had any issues at all with inconsistency in fuel quality (I have with both BP and Caltex). I would much rather give my money to a small family run business than a large corporation like woolworths. Since woolworths and coles entered the game here prices have done nothing but go up, while you watch the independents and a lot of the mobil stations close down. The way I see it is the supermarkets are killing competition and controlling the price so I will support the underdogs.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
sleek7

BP ultimate or Caltex vortex 98. Never 91 and never ethenol.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
falcon convert

I see heaps of you guys insist on using 95 or 98 fuel. I can understand this if the car has been specially performance tuned, but for a regular run of the mill n/a 6, why is 91 or (shock horror) e10 so terrible?
Ford specify that 91 and for that matter E10 is OK. What do you guys know that I don't? Is there any decent evidence to prove the lesser fuels are damaging? Or is it purely a performance thing and if so is this just seat of the pants feel or has it been properly proved?
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #27
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Can't help myself:
If you'd read more you'd find it also occurs naturally and is distributed by companies who aren't necessarily the intergalactic & evil BP corporation.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
I see heaps of you guys insist on using 95 or 98 fuel. I can understand this if the car has been specially performance tuned, but for a regular run of the mill n/a 6, why is 91 or (shock horror) e10 so terrible?
Ford specify that 91 and for that matter E10 is OK. What do you guys know that I don't? Is there any decent evidence to prove the lesser fuels are damaging? Or is it purely a performance thing and if so is this just seat of the pants feel or has it been properly proved?
I seem to remember that ford state the "minimum" requirement for the NA 6 is 91 but improvements in performance and economy will be seen using premium fuels. As to if in these engines, 98 will give any advantage over 95 without custom tuning is highly debatable but even Ford admit 95 will do better than 91.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Caltex due to work supplied for work vehicle..
Yes on a trip I usually select B.P or Caltex...
Not that when driving interstate you have too many options..
I find on forced induction engines of mine.. 98 and next fill E10 as "top up" works well..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #30
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueluvr

I have been running 95 or 98 shell in my std BFT for 50,000km, and am yet to have any fuel related problems. No particular reason except it's convenient to my house.

Peter, you are probably referring to the old optimax bike "issue". Optimax used to be pretty ordinary on bikes with carbs mainly, which is why it got a bad name. There was nothing wrong with it as a fuel, but it caused a rich issue which in some bikes that were a little lean to begin with it actually helped, and those that were a little rich to begin with, made them worse of course.
Yep - that was it. Optimax used to foul up the carbie jets etc & gum things up internally.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post