Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #211
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFG View Post
Loving this thread, great info in here.

Sorry if this has been asked but what are you guys recommending for cutting compounds/ cut and polishing?

I've used Farecla G3 in the past and it's great, but it's expensive and I need something I can go to Supercheap and buy straight away. I've just applied some Bowdens paint restore and the paintwork needs a lot more work before using that product.

Should add that it's not my car so needs to be budget-friendly, otherwise, I'd get the G3.
It sounds like the paint you are dealing with is going to need a cutting compound rather than a finishing polish.

In terms of price, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound at $29.99 for 450ml could be up your alley. That said, I have used this in the past and found it pretty hard to use. It will do the job you are asking for though.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ml/214309.html

I'm a big fan of Scholl S20 Black, although this could be above your budget at $39.99 for 500ml.
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...=7360288882745

For the extra $10 over Ultimate Compound, you get a product that is easy to use, easy wipe off and low dusting. S20 Black is an all-in-one so it can cut then finesse in one step.

Scholl also make a few heavier cutting compounds but will require a follow up finishing polish step.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...choll-concepts
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #212
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
This thread has to stop. You are all giving me evil ideas that will cost time an money......
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #213
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
This thread has to stop. You are all giving me evil ideas that will cost time an money......
Look at it like a grown up kids candy store for your pride and joys
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #214
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Meguiars mostly,they are not the best or most expensive but ive never had an issue with them,my machine polisher is one i purchased from an old sponsor from here some time ago,most likely "waxit",it works good,came with some scholl cutting and polishing stuff and a few pads etc,just had a look at their site and they dont sell my polisher anymore,still works really good though.
I dont detail often because it wastes so much time but its very satisfying once its done,even though my old body feels fully dead afterwards....
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #215
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A funny comparison would be a 2 photo comparison of the the products you use on cleaning your car compared to the products you use on yourself.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #216
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Happy new year, everyone!

The car got its last wash for 2020 yesterday, then a polish, then treated with lustre and jet again. Thanks go to dfb for his tips on jet usage...its more touchy to apply evenly than the products i am used to.

A question.... Is it an issue to keep applying extra coats each wash day? It was only washed a few weeks ago, when i skipped the lustre, just applying another coat of wax then jet over the top.

In the normal scheme of things, it gets washed and polished about once a month.

And one more thing....this time ive tried the Bowdens own Fully Slick next to the Nova Jet on adjacent doors... once i get it out in the open, im keen to see if they look any different.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #217
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Fully Slick on one door, Nova Jet on the other.

I cant see any difference. The front and rear quarters are both wearing Jet.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 01-01-2021 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Messed up image link
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #218
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone got suggestions on how to remove products applied to the dash? I miss calculated the ratio of the carpro perl, and now my dash is too shiny and I'm getting that glare on a sunny day.

I've tried wiping it down with a wet towel. It has helped a bit, but still quite glaring.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #219
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Happy new year, everyone!

The car got its last wash for 2020 yesterday, then a polish, then treated with lustre and jet again. Thanks go to dfb for his tips on jet usage...its more touchy to apply evenly than the products i am used to.

A question.... Is it an issue to keep applying extra coats each wash day? It was only washed a few weeks ago, when i skipped the lustre, just applying another coat of wax then jet over the top.

In the normal scheme of things, it gets washed and polished about once a month.

And one more thing....this time ive tried the Bowdens own Fully Slick next to the Nova Jet on adjacent doors... once i get it out in the open, im keen to see if they look any different.
Lustre and Jet only need to be applied every few months, although I can't see why you couldn't use Jet every second or third wash. I would probably not apply wax over the top of either as it may have issues bonding to the paint, negating your hard work at the next wash.

In terms of polishing, depending on what polish you are using, polishing too much will accelerate the decline of your clear coat. For perspective, I normally polish once a year or two. Applying wax/sealant once a month would be fine, polishing once a month seems excessive.

Another application tip for Nova Lustre and Jet is to apply with a microfibre pad instead of NV's suggested two cloth method.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...sponge-pad-3x5

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/produc...k-blue-colours

I like using these as they make much easier to apply these type of products without having to keep refolding the towel. Prime the pad with a few sprays first, mist onto the panel, distribute with the pad then buff with the short nap side of a microfibre cloth.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #220
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Anyone got suggestions on how to remove products applied to the dash? I miss calculated the ratio of the carpro perl, and now my dash is too shiny and I'm getting that glare on a sunny day.

I've tried wiping it down with a wet towel. It has helped a bit, but still quite glaring.
CarPro Perl is water based. I would try a wet cloth again, rinsing and repeating until you get the desired finish.

I'm sure the use of an All Purpose Cleaner would break it down as well but I'm not a fan of using strong APC's on certain interior plastics, especially soft touch and leather look dashboards.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #221
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

WARNING – Pure detailing indulgence incoming!

I used to hate bending down to clean wheels, especially the time sucking S550 Mustang wheels. My knees cop a workout in my day job, let along crouching down cleaning wheels.

That was until I discovered the art of sitting on my ****.

Having a detailing seat to plonk down on while doing wheels, wheel arches and exhausts is now an integral part of my detailing arsenal. I will also use a seat when polishing doors, dressing tyres or even a place to set down a towel/spray bottle/polisher.

For me, detailing is more than making a car clean. It is very much a therapeutic ritual, a way to unwind. Sitting down, I am not in a hurry, allowing me to take time and enjoy the process.

I had been using a Supercheap Auto roller seat, a comfortable and height adjustable seat that has room underneath for brushes ect.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...at/298189.html

Last month though, I picked up this from Waxit.
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...g-creeper-seat

While lacking a padded seat, the extra storage on either side and the pull-out drawer is a handy feature.

And for added laziness, having bucket dollies means you can glide from one wheel to the next without having to get up. I bought those wheel dollies with the thought that they would be a bit useless, now I would not be without them!
https://www.autobarn.com.au/cc07121?...hoCvygQAvD_BwE

And for an extra layer of lunacy, having hose guides will stop the hose from snagging as you move your way around the car. Again, until you use these little things, you won’t know how excellent they are.
https://detailingshed.com.au/products/tyre-hose-guides

I have come across these in my travels as well -
https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrig...-seat_p0096548
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome...-seat_p0064894

Having and using a seat while detailing your car doesn't directly affect the end result, but it does make the process much more enjoyable.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #222
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Having and using a seat while detailing your car doesn't directly affect the end result, but it does make the process much more enjoyable.
Having music helps too.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #223
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Having music helps too.
100%!!

For a total escape, I will normally listen to either music (don't ask ) or automotive podcasts with my Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones.
Mustang GT

Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #224
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
WARNING – Pure detailing indulgence incoming!

I used to hate bending down to clean wheels, especially the time sucking S550 Mustang wheels. My knees cop a workout in my day job, let along crouching down cleaning wheels.

That was until I discovered the art of sitting on my ****.

Having a detailing seat to plonk down on while doing wheels, wheel arches and exhausts is now an integral part of my detailing arsenal. I will also use a seat when polishing doors, dressing tyres or even a place to set down a towel/spray bottle/polisher.

For me, detailing is more than making a car clean. It is very much a therapeutic ritual, a way to unwind. Sitting down, I am not in a hurry, allowing me to take time and enjoy the process.

I had been using a Supercheap Auto roller seat, a comfortable and height adjustable seat that has room underneath for brushes ect.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...at/298189.html

Last month though, I picked up this from Waxit.
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...g-creeper-seat

While lacking a padded seat, the extra storage on either side and the pull-out drawer is a handy feature.

And for added laziness, having bucket dollies means you can glide from one wheel to the next without having to get up. I bought those wheel dollies with the thought that they would be a bit useless, now I would not be without them!
https://www.autobarn.com.au/cc07121?...hoCvygQAvD_BwE

And for an extra layer of lunacy, having hose guides will stop the hose from snagging as you move your way around the car. Again, until you use these little things, you won’t know how excellent they are.
https://detailingshed.com.au/products/tyre-hose-guides

I have come across these in my travels as well -
https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrig...-seat_p0096548
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome...-seat_p0064894

I remember reading this from your detailing thread. That is next level stuff! Love it!

I'm in same boat. By the time I wash the rims, scrub the tyres and clean the wheel arches..... I'm not 23 anymore that's for sure!

I work in the shade, but I'm still outside so open to the wind. Sometimes the soap dries on the surface of the paint, but it always washes away cleanly (I use Meguiars NXT at the moment). Do you rinse after each panel, or just at the end like I do? Ive had no negative effects with this soap. It's PH balanced, and I have multiple layers of Happy Ending on.

Always wondered this.... some people rinse after a couple of panels , while the other theory is that leaving the soap on stops water spots. But here in Melbourne we don't have hard water.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #225
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
I remember reading this from your detailing thread. That is next level stuff! Love it!

I'm in same boat. By the time I wash the rims, scrub the tyres and clean the wheel arches..... I'm not 23 anymore that's for sure!

I work in the shade, but I'm still outside so open to the wind. Sometimes the soap dries on the surface of the paint, but it always washes away cleanly (I use Meguiars NXT at the moment). Do you rinse after each panel, or just at the end like I do? Ive had no negative effects with this soap. It's PH balanced, and I have multiple layers of Happy Ending on.

Always wondered this.... some people rinse after a couple of panels , while the other theory is that leaving the soap on stops water spots. But here in Melbourne we don't have hard water.
After doing the wheels first, my normal process, is to rinse the car down with water, foam and then contact wash the whole vehicle at once followed by a thorough rinse. I can usually get around the car before the sun starts drying the soap/water.

My cars are never particularly "dirty" so a pre-soak with foam is not really required. If I was dealing with heavy traffic film then I would foam/rinse/foam/contact wash/rinse.

Are you using NXT in a foam cannon? If so, how does it go? I have not used NXT for a while now but I always liked it's abilities.
Mustang GT

Old 03-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #226
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
After doing the wheels first, my normal process, is to rinse the car down with water, foam and then contact wash the whole vehicle at once followed by a thorough rinse. I can usually get around the car before the sun starts drying the soap/water.

My cars are never particularly "dirty" so a pre-soak with foam is not really required. If I was dealing with heavy traffic film then I would foam/rinse/foam/contact wash/rinse.

Are you using NXT in a foam cannon? If so, how does it go? I have not used NXT for a while now but I always liked it's abilities.
Sounds like we have the same technique:-)

No, never used NXT in snow cannon. Using Snow Job at the moment out of my 10 year old Karcher K2 which just keeps keeping on!

I've tried a few car soaps. Chem Guys Wash and Gloss was good, but found it hard on the wax. The Meguiars just foams up really well in the bucket and glides across the paint. I'm tempted to try Bowdens Own Nano wash, but the Megs just feels so much thicker.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2021, 10:23 PM   #227
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Just finished watching this 3 part detail of a 2020 Camaro.

2020 Camaro ZL1 Detail - The Worst New Car Paint Ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqQQZAPGnI&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fd2uL2n9fA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Z7ODjiVlM

I like Sandro's no bull approach to detailing and the way he cuts through the marketing withing the industry. In fact he went pretty hard on both the hack job the dealer inflicted on the paint and the quality of the paint itself from GM.

To be fair to GM, he also had similar things to say about the poor quality of Fords paint on the current Mustang.

You would think that after 100 years of making cars and painting them, the American auto industry would be able to do better than this.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #228
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
You would think that after 100 years of making cars and painting them, the American auto industry would be able to do better than this.
They probably could, but the accountants won't let them
Old 16-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #229
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Glass protection via NV Glass Lite.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections.../nv-glass-lite
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...s-lite-coating

This product is a hydrophobic protective coating for exterior glass surfaces. Glass Lite is extremely easy to apply, a simple spray and wipe process.

Ensure the glass is clean, I used some CarPro Eraser to prep the glass before application.

Apply the product to a microfibre cloth or applicator pad, wipe over one section at time, buffing with a second cloth after it flashes.

The finished result is slick, glossy glass that will repel rain and water with ease.

NV Glass Lite can be used as a standalone product or as a maintenance spray over Nova Glass Ceramic Coating. As a standalone, it will give 2-3 months protection compared to 12 months for NV GLASS. I don't mind doing this every few months, if you want something to last for longer then the full ceramic option may be for you instead.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-glass-coating
Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #230
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Glass protection via NV Glass Lite.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections.../nv-glass-lite
https://detailingshed.com.au/collect...s-lite-coating

This product is a hydrophobic protective coating for exterior glass surfaces. Glass Lite is extremely easy to apply, a simple spray and wipe process.

Ensure the glass is clean, I used some CarPro Eraser to prep the glass before application.

Apply the product to a microfibre cloth or applicator pad, wipe over one section at time, buffing with a second cloth after it flashes.

The finished result is slick, glossy glass that will repel rain and water with ease.

NV Glass Lite can be used as a standalone product or as a maintenance spray over Nova Glass Ceramic Coating. As a standalone, it will give 2-3 months protection compared to 12 months for NV GLASS. I don't mind doing this every few months, if you want something to last for longer then the full ceramic option may be for you instead.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...-glass-coating
Umm, what does it protect glass from?
Old 16-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #231
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Umm, what does it protect glass from?
It's main purpose is to repel water but it's also said to repel dirt/dust/road grime and makes removing bugs easier.
Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #232
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's main purpose is to repel water but it's also said to repel dirt/dust/road grime and makes removing bugs easier.
Ah right, like Rainex but more expensive . ?

I tried Rainex once on the Truck as the wipers stopped working. Couldn't wait to get it off, as driving in the rain at night with thousands of water beads shooting up the windscreen was damned distracting.
Old 16-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #233
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Ah right, like Rainex but more expensive . ?

I tried Rainex once on the Truck as the wipers stopped working. Couldn't wait to get it off, as driving in the rain at night with thousands of water beads shooting up the windscreen was damned distracting.
Ha ha, I did toy with putting that line into my post.

That said, Glass Lite is a Sio2 based product, perhaps explain the added cost compared to RainX.
Mustang GT

Old 18-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #234
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So gave the Scholl Concepts S20 Black a go. And it's brilliant.

Had some scuff marks on this guard that I haven't be able to get rid of in the past. The S20 got rid of all of them. And the gloss is awesome.

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #235
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Had some scuff marks on this guard that I haven't be able to get rid of in the past. The S20 got rid of all of them. And the gloss is awesome.

Nice work!

Scholl S20 Black is so easy to use, I love that moment when you wipe it off to reveal a beautifully glossy finish.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #236
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What pad and buffer combo did you use to achieve these results?

It looks awesome.

Buying a polisher and pads ect is the last area I have yet to jump into.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #237
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Nice work!

Scholl S20 Black is so easy to use, I love that moment when you wipe it off to reveal a beautifully glossy finish.
The gloss was what impressed me the most. I wasn't expecting it to be so good.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #238
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
What pad and buffer combo did you use to achieve these results?

It looks awesome.

Buying a polisher and pads ect is the last area I have yet to jump into.
I used a Scholl Concepts blue spider pad with the S20. The sealing wax was just some Meguires Ultimate Wax applied with one of their soft foam pads.

The DA is just an old Bosch unit. Nothing special.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #239
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I used a Scholl Concepts blue spider pad with the S20. The sealing wax was just some Meguires Ultimate Wax applied with one of their soft foam pads.

The DA is just an old Bosch unit. Nothing special.
Stunning finish Boss, well done !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #240
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I found this flow chart online that could be helpful.

https://www.zas.com.au/tutorial/4/De...chart_download
Mustang GT

7 users like this post: