Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
LOL I never said it would make a good track attack vehicle. There are heaps of Jap and US 4x4s you can spec with a V8, why should the Territory be any different, especially as the car it is based on has a V8 option.

Personally, I like the idea of a MustangFalconTerritory.

"Hello, I'd like to buy a big Ford please."

"Certainly sir, would you like a coupe, sedan, ute, wagon or big wagon? Comfort, lifted or sports suspension? 2WD or 4WD? Small turbo 4 pot, big six, big turbo six, or really big supercharged V8?"

Platform sharing has so many possibilities, and could be relatively cheap, if done right. Admittedly, you could build some abominations, but there are some cool options there too. Typhoon Mustang, Supercharged V8 4x4 Territory, EcoBoost Falcon Wagon (Fleet), lifted 4x4 Falcon RTV Ute, the list goes on. With so many combinations, you could have whatever you wanted, at a reasonable price, with a warranty.

OMG, I like your way of thinking there 388cube_edxr8

That would be a niche market for potential development yeah??

Old 13-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #32
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Fte T3 TL50, Manual V8 wagon, V8 Territory. I'm seeing a pattern here, desired by the few, afforded by less, bought by even fewer.

Why not make one? I mean think about it? Buy one, dump a GT 290, probably cost about the same. If your willing & can afford to put down your hard earned for a factory one, the surely building one isnt out if reach. And only two or three others. So if you ever wanted to sell it, it would bring sone decent coin. Or not, & just enjoy it's rarity. If you can't buy it, BUILD IT!
Not much choice otherwise, is there? I really liked the Tsunami, maybe a BF XR8 wagon.......
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #33
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I was under the impression that the Ranger concept/production ready that they displayed at Sydney Motor Show this year was being designed or already set to spawn an SUV variant from it?

The most realistic connection I can make is that to the Nissan Navara D40 and Nissan Pathfinder R51. For all intensive purposes they are the same car except one is a ute, the other is an SUV. Front end treatment is identical and the interior is much the same.
Old 13-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL I never said it would make a good track attack vehicle. There are heaps of Jap and US 4x4s you can spec with a V8, why should the Territory be any different, especially as the car it is based on has a V8 option.

"Hello, I'd like to buy a big Ford please."

"Certainly sir, would you like a coupe, sedan, ute, wagon or big wagon? Comfort, lifted or sports suspension? 2WD or 4WD? Small turbo 4 pot, big six, big turbo six, or really big supercharged V8?"

Platform sharing has so many possibilities, and could be relatively cheap, if done right. Admittedly, you could build some abominations, but there are some cool options there too. Typhoon Mustang, Supercharged V8 4x4 Territory, EcoBoost Falcon Wagon (Fleet), lifted 4x4 Falcon RTV Ute, the list goes on. With so many combinations, you could have whatever you wanted, at a reasonable price, with a warranty.
The problem is that in order to do this every single combination must be engineering tested.
This is the law and there is no way round it so all of a sudden every single combination doubles in price and no one will buy any.

Or are you quite happy to pay $130,000 for your V8 Territory or wagon?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #35
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like the ThunderCougarFalconBird on futurama
Old 13-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The problem is that in order to do this every single combination must be engineering tested.
This is the law and there is no way round it so all of a sudden every single combination doubles in price and no one will buy any.

Or are you quite happy to pay $130,000 for your V8 Territory or wagon?
Agree 100% and I have an example to underscore what you're saying
so why don't we just start with what people are actually buying and
work from there:

Platform(s) that can cover:
-two cars, Focus and Mondeo Sized.
- Two SUVs, Escape and Territory sized.

Getting those four vehicles to fit under a Falcon/Territory engineering platform
would be an absolute nightmare or at least a knife edge balance between
excessive weight in the smaller vehicles to insufficient strength in the larger ones.

When we get through sorting out the vehicle that can fit under platforms,
the engineering required, who will actually buy then and for what price we
might have a business case.

Once you get to there, you have to convince the financiers that developing those
four RWDs is worthwhile compared to selling Focus, Mondeo, Kuga and Territory/Explorer.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #37
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Agree 100% and I have an example to underscore what you're saying
so why don't we just start with what people are actually buying and
work from there:

Platform(s) that can cover:
-two cars, Focus and Mondeo Sized.
- Two SUVs, Escape and Territory sized.

Getting those four vehicles to fit under a Falcon/Territory engineering platform
would be an absolute nightmare or at least a knife edge balance between
excessive weight in the smaller vehicles to insufficient strength in the larger ones.

When we get through sorting out the vehicle that can fit under platforms,
the engineering required, who will actually buy then and for what price we
might have a business case.

Once you get to there, you have to convince the financiers that developing those
four RWDs is worthwhile compared to selling Focus, Mondeo, Kuga and Territory/Explorer.
I think you might have misread something, somewhere along the line. I never said Focus/Falcon should share the same platform, what I said was that Mustang/Falcon/Territory should share the same platform, with all the good bits interchangeable.

Flappist, you make a good point about extensive testing, but I think we can rule out a few combos from the test group straight away. the EcoBoost 4banger, for example, would not be available with lifted suspension or 4wd in and models.

The Mustang would remain more or less as it is now, with the only difference being a choice of I6, I6T or SCV8, and a choice of live axle or IRS.

The Territory would not be available with the EcoBoost, thats just silly.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

No V8 Territory solely comes down to the lack of possible sales, and the fact it would be a total pig on juice. The 6's use enough fuel as is.

V8 SUV's have a bad image. You can imagine the headlines if Ford released a guzzling V8 Territory. Ford US have reacted to the bad image by not releasing a V8 version of the new Explorer, its V6 or V6 Ecoboost only, with a 4 banger EB engine on the way.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #39
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Lo all,

I was just wondering, if the Territory is based on the Falcon, why is there no Territory Ute?

Also, why is there no V8 Territory?

I bet a Boss 335 4x4 Territory Ute would pinch a few sales from the Japs. I for one would buy one tomorrow if it became available.

Thoughts?
Well then why not a diesel Falcon! If only Ford could be first at something and not Holden, a diesel Falcon would be far better option than a 4 cylinder one and beat GMH to the punch would be great
Old 16-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #40
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Must be why I like it then. haha
Hey you , how are things goin in the "Bling " dept lately
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Yet Ford NA are going ahead with 2.0 EB Explorer next year..
Old 16-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why would a turbo 4 that has fairly similar performance to the current N/A I6 be silly?

I am confident it would outsell a V8 territory 10 to 1.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #43
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Hey you , how are things goin in the "Bling " dept lately

Not a lot, just had painted door handles put on but that’s all for now. Territory is semi-retired as my energy is now directed towards my Subaru Liberty GT Turbo.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I am confident it would outsell a V8 territory 10 to 1.......
I am equally confident that a V6 Diesel Falcon would out sell a future XR8,
different buyers but performance and good fuel economy is now essential.
Old 18-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #45
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Not a lot, just had painted door handles put on but that’s all for now. Territory is semi-retired as my energy is now directed towards my Subaru Liberty GT Turbo.
Cool they are a pretty quick thing when run in correctly ..hehe
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post