Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down RAC Batteries

I have been buying my batteries from RAC for decades.
The prices aren’t too bad, and it’s very convenient.
Plus, I have kept going back to them because of verbal assurances received over the years that “if anything goes wrong just give us a call and we’ll come straight out and replace it.”

So I am mightily peeved that when, after literally a dozen batteries bought from them, I actually have to call on the warranty, and their service is beyond dreadful.
The battery is about 7 months old, and it seems that at least a couple of cells have collapsed. Its cactus. Even a 20amp smart charger can’t help it.

For starters, they sent a patrolman, not the battery van, so he was never going to be able to fix the problem. He used a multimeter to confirm its only putting out about 6v, then jump started my car and revved the guts out of it, before admitting the battery was cactus.
But then, according to their policy, he has to take the battery back to the distributor, who gets to try and fix it. They proceeded to connect it to a huge charger and it was drawing 25 amps. (This is a CAR battery!)
I have complained to RAC, and their response “hopefully we can get back to you tomorrow.”

And here’s the point; in addition to the dreadful customer service and massive inconvenience to me, how much time (=money) have they wasted over a $200 battery? And even if they can somehow miraculously “revive” the battery, what are its chances of seeing out the remaining 29 months of its warranty?

I was wondering how others have gone with different battery services? (eg Marshalls?)
(As, needless to say, I won’t be using RAC ever again.)

Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: RAC Batteries

Supercheap is probably your best bet, especially if you join their club or whatever. They are open 7 days a week and are pretty good with exchanging stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
zilo
BANNED

I just get them from Kmart.

Doesn't matter what brand you buy they all crap out at the 3 year mark now.

So may as well get the cheapest.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep Supercheap, why bother with the others??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
tweeked
N/A all the way

Hmmm, I had our director come into my office a couple of weekes ago. "You know abot cars, my Navara wont start, and I am leaving in an hour." Went down , decided it was the battery - rang RACV told them I had done some brief checks and thought it was the battery.

Within 20 minutes the battery van was here, he checked, put a new battery in, rechecked everything once done and I had the keys back to the boss within 45 minutes. Free fitting and a health check of the alternator, and the battery was about the same as you would pay at Supercheap.

THe boss was happy and I looked like I knew what I was doing- -gotta be happy with that.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Hmmm, I had our director come into my office a couple of weekes ago. "You know abot cars, my Navara wont start, and I am leaving in an hour." Went down , decided it was the battery - rang RACV told them I had done some brief checks and thought it was the battery.

Within 20 minutes the battery van was here, he checked, put a new battery in, rechecked everything once done and I had the keys back to the boss within 45 minutes. Free fitting and a health check of the alternator, and the battery was about the same as you would pay at Supercheap.

THe boss was happy and I looked like I knew what I was doing- -gotta be happy with that.
Yeah its fine when your spending someone else's money, generally would just ring them as well, but I can do the checks myself and I am pretty sure there is a big price difference unless things have changed recently.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Auto 1 Supercharge for me. I 've been stuck with the missus buying RAC ones in an emergency and they always have had cheap (Marshall) ones with soft terminal posts connectors that squash when you try and tighten the terminals.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't touch RAC batteries as they are not Aussie made.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

Unfortunately that sounds exactly like the RAC here. GREAT to deal with when they are taking your money.
Their SALES service is impeccable, but it’s their warranty service is beyond ****.

The manager of RAC batteries has been on to me by phone every few hours (after I threw a major stinky at the RAC.) But just keeps telling me that it’s still on charge. I MIGHT get it back some time tomorrow, by which time they will have had it for over 48 hours.
So, you take a battery and start pumping 25 AMPS into it, and over 30 hours later it still can’t put out 12v. WTF does that tell you?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a failure such as this indicates the battery was not up to standard, you have a legal right through fair trading to demand a replacement

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
zilo
BANNED

RAC farm the battery business out to independent contractors most of the time.

They make stuff all on batteries, so most of the guys try and flog extra services on the side to you...like an alternator or whatever.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post