Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Diesel dimple piston technology

This sounds interesting and will help change the modern diesel engine to comply with EPA without most of the emissions crap.

Worth watching the whole video.

https://www.speedofair.com/r-d

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2024, 12:22 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Diesel dimple piston technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
This sounds interesting and will help change the modern diesel engine to comply with EPA without most of the emissions crap.

Worth watching the whole video.

https://www.speedofair.com/r-d

That'll be a breath of fresh air, my question is how come it's taken this long to figure out this rather than inventing DPFs and all sorts of shite
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2024, 02:07 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very impressive.

No more expensive DPF's plus increases in economy and torque!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

umm, yeah nah. old low pressure diesel engines had bowls in the pistons to create the swirl required to correctly mix the fuel and get the right overall air/fuel ratio for a clean burn. with HPCR engines the pressure is so much higher, that detailed design of the injector nozzles has significantly more impact on the burn than the piston design.

I don't see any data in the video that substantiates his claim. just pseudo engineering that has no relevence.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2024, 09:13 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
umm, yeah nah. old low pressure diesel engines had bowls in the pistons to create the swirl required to correctly mix the fuel and get the right overall air/fuel ratio for a clean burn. with HPCR engines the pressure is so much higher, that detailed design of the injector nozzles has significantly more impact on the burn than the piston design.

I don't see any data in the video that substantiates his claim. just pseudo engineering that has no relevence.
and obviously didn't read any of the independent reports attached to their website either.

The idea was originally developed for petrol V twin Indian motorbikes but found to be significantly more beneficial for over the road diesels than little diesel cars.

Old 10-05-2024, 10:01 AM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

my point exactly. no data on passenger cars. do those big lumbering off road engines even have to meet emissions standards?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2024, 11:20 AM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
my point exactly. no data on passenger cars. do those big lumbering off road engines even have to meet emissions standards?
'over the road' is referring to on-highway engines, if I'm interpreting that post correctly.

CAT pulled out of all on-highway stuff around 2010 or there about because of emissions regulations in heavy vehicles, they do generators and off road stuff now only.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2024, 03:02 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
'over the road' is referring to on-highway engines, if I'm interpreting that post correctly.

CAT pulled out of all on-highway stuff around 2010 or there about because of emissions regulations in heavy vehicles, they do generators and off road stuff now only.
Correct, current diesel engines used in linehaul. Also includes Detroit series 60, PACCAR and Cummins.

In the US the most popular OTR diesel still in use in the lower 48 states excluding Commie-fornia is the Cat 3406B using genuine Cat parts still manufactured.
This technology is trying to gain certification through SEMA and hopes to meet CARB "Clean Idle" regulations and that's a good thing, despite the negative nelly's.

Old 12-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #9
None-ya

So time to get the drill and welder out aye lol
Old 12-05-2024, 09:01 AM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by None-ya View Post
So time to get the drill and welder out aye lol
Now where's my ceramic coating machine ?

This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2024, 09:45 AM   #11
None-ya

Quote:
Now where's my ceramic coating machine ?
. . . I'll get the shovel ( ceramic is basically clay from what I figure) lol
Old 12-05-2024, 10:23 AM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
. . . I'll get the shovel ( ceramic is basically clay from what I figure) lol
How hard can it be ?

This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2024, 12:53 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

One question,
the presenter claims that the Exhaust Gas Temperature was lowered by about 200 degrees,
so how would that help with meeting emissions, would that prevent SCR converter light off?

I’m asking the question because I honestly don’t know…..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2024, 01:56 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
One question,
the presenter claims that the Exhaust Gas Temperature was lowered by about 200 degrees,
so how would that help with meeting emissions, would that prevent SCR converter light off?

I’m asking the question because I honestly don’t know…..
Doesn't he explain later there would be no need for that emission related system.
200deg F cooler would otherwise be good for a hill lugging diesel in a unmolested system.
The emissions are met completing a cleaner burn so no soot is produced to raise the ex gas in the first place. Unburnt diesel into a hot exhaust pipe creates high temp climbing hills.
Looks good rolling the coal but totally unnecessary.

Old 12-05-2024, 02:34 PM   #15
None-ya

Quote:
How hard can it be ?
-childly says- is tempting lol

Seriously tho I think the whole video is just a add for the pistons. He mentions near the end that they will also re-flash the ecu and change the turbo and exhaust among other things or was I just hearing things ??
Old 12-05-2024, 03:08 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
-childly says- is tempting lol

Seriously tho I think the whole video is just a add for the pistons. He mentions near the end that they will also re-flash the ecu and change the turbo and exhaust among other things or was I just hearing things ??
Yes maybe an ad, all those improvements are with no other engine modifications other than the pistons, he also says that possibly a re flash of the ecu and turbo modifications help it comply to CARB and EPA 2024 and on engine standards if they wanted to remove all other emissions crap.

As they state the pistons achieve such a clean burn that there is so little carbon or soot build up to capture in the DPF that it makes it pointless being there.

Old 12-05-2024, 09:18 PM   #17
None-ya

Quote:
Yes maybe an ad, all those improvements are with no other engine modifications other than the pistons, he also says that possibly a re flash of the ecu and turbo modifications help it comply to CARB and EPA 2024 and on engine standards if they wanted to remove all other emissions crap.

As they state the pistons achieve such a clean burn that there is so little carbon or soot build up to capture in the DPF that it makes it pointless being there.
Idk really guess I'm just sceptical ( if the right word for it )