Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Right or wrong

I don't know if any of you listen to 3AW here in Melbourne so here goes.
They have a segment on early every Saturday & Sunday mornings called "buy, swap & sell"
This morning a fellow calls to sell a HG 350 Monaro. Apparently it belonged to his recently deceased brother who had had it from new or close to it.
It was said to have 16,xxx original miles (may have clocked over once, who knows) Sunburst Orange (i think) all documentation etc, even repossession warning letters from when he fell behind in his payments.
His brother who was selling it had absolutely no idea of it's worth & was asking 20k for it.
The announcer Darren James being a bit of a car buff told him that it was way too low for a car of that stature.
I don't know what happened next but Darren must have received a few e-mails from disgruntled prospective buyers that may have missed out on a bargain & read one of them on air.

What are your thoughts.
Would it have been tuff luck for the seller to let it go so cheap given the opportunity & resources to be able to get a fairly accurate estimate of it's true worth, or did the announcer do the right thing by bringing it to his attention and thus spoiling the opportunity of someone snapping up a bargain?

My opinion is that i believe he did the right thing by the seller in bringing it to his attention.

Last edited by Pinkbits; 06-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
I don't know if any of you listen to 3AW here in Melbourne so here goes.
They have a segment on early every Saturday & Sunday mornings called "buy, swap & sell"
This morning a fellow calls to sell a HG 350 Monaro. Apparently it belonged to his recently deceased brother who had had it from new or close to it.
It was said to have 16,xxx original miles (may have clocked over once, who knows) Sunburst Orange (i think) all documentation etc, even repossession warning letters from when he fell behind in his payments.
His brother who was selling it had absolutely no idea of it's worth & was asking 20k for it.
The announcer Darren James being a bit of a car buff told him that it was way too low for a car of that stature.
I don't know what happened next but Darren must have received a few e-mails from disgruntled prospective buyers that may have missed out on a bargain & read one of them on air.

What are your thoughts.
Would it have been tuff luck for the seller to let it go so cheap given the opportunity & resources to be able to get a fairly accurate estimate of it's true worth or did the announcer do the right thing by bringing it to his attention and thus spoiling the opportunity of someone snapping up a bargain?
I think the announcer did the right thing. How would the brother feel later finding that we could have got $100,000+ from his deceased brothers car. Not only feeling greif from the loss but regret from not reseaching the car better.
I don't think it would be right for anyone to take advantage of this naive bloke, especially considering what he's going through.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If the seller is not aware of cars apparent market value and is informed of it, I think its the right thing to do. Then the seller can make up his mind about how much to sell it for thereafter. Whilst I dont agree with how much these cars sell for nowadays (its just stupidly ridiculous), I think its only fair that the seller gets what could be obtained for it. Because if I was in his shoes, and sold it unawares only to find out later id be incredibly annoyed.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
sanchoXB

If I was the presenter I wouldnt have even put the call to air and bought it myself.
You would have to be living under a rock to think it is only worth 20k, like you said there are plenty of resources to get an idea of value.

The presenter did the right thing.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

He did the right thing.

I would've emailed all the people who complained and told them to shove it. I hate scumbags who jump on opportunities to take advantage at someone elses expense.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
I think the announcer did the right thing. How would the brother feel later finding that we could have got $100,000+ from his deceased brothers car. Not only feeling greif from the loss but regret from not reseaching the car better.
I don't think it would be right for anyone to take advantage of this naive bloke, especially considering what he's going through.
Agreed 100%. Darren did the right thing. Letting a car of that value go for $20,000 while grieving for his brother would only add to a terrible situation.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed, presenter did the right thing.

these weekend radio shows, such as Macca's Australia All over, have a very loyal following and the information given on the various segments are taken as gospel by many. the presenter's has certainly done the right thing by his listener.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

done the right thing... you'll probably find the only chumps to get upset about this are the ones looking to profiteer out of this situation......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The right decision was made
Seriously out of all the idiots who emailed and complained did everyone think they would be the buyer
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Disagree. If the seller does not research what they are selling, then they loose.

Now the buyer has lost out on a deal of a lifetime.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Disagree. If the seller does not research what they are selling, then they loose.

Your world is very black and white isnt it?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

honesty is the best policy of course, for those that were`nt around in those days......... http://holden.itgo.com/hg_monaro.html
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

hope you've got your affairs in order.. pain in the bum to come back as a cranky ghost and haunt anyone that rips off your loved ones.......
Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the car was his and he was stupid enough not to know it value than i wold have said tough luck but because its part of his family there is know way i could not say anything. He did the right thing.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont forget there is a whole world of people out there that own these classics... many from new.. they're not in the scene and well out of the loop..to them its just a car, their car and would honestly have nfi of what it may be worth.......
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
dont forget there is a whole world of people out there that own these classics... many from new.. they're not in the scene and well out of the loop..to them its just a car, their car and would honestly have nfi of what it may be worth.......
True whether it be his or his brother's he still did the right thing.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
g220ba
FGX XR8

Wow the things people get upset about. Does honesty still exist in the general population?
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ones who complain the loudest are the low lifes who like to take advantage of people. Well done the announcer.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i see both sides, but in my opinion (and i do not know the true value of the car; $100,000 has been mentioned though) - isn't buying the car from an unsuspecting seller for $20,000 the equivalent of stealing $80,000. it is almost similar to someone taking your car from your garage (because you were not up to date with the latest security) and leaving $20,000 cash there. they didn't steal your car as such, but they effectively stole $80,000 from you

i could except it a little easier if the new owner was to keep it for ever and not profit as such, but have their dream car that will remain in that condition for ever, but i could not really agree to someone buying it for $20,000 and then making a huge profit

in all seriousness it is no different to the dodgy handymen that go and prey on the elderly and take their money for little or no service. not everyone knows the real value of cars, because quite simply, some people do not care for them. that does not mean we have a right to take what they have for vitually nothing. it would have been wise for the owner to have checked first without giving an expected price though

so yes, i think the announcer did the right thing - and to those who missed out too bad. there was only going to be one buyer, so most of the hopefuls would have been disappointed anyway
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree, the announcer did the right thing....

Wouldnt you like to know if someone was ripping you off?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With mention of perhaps stealing ???

I get a little tired of hearing the stories of
"The bargain of a lifetime"
Buying that elusive 1 owner low K immaculate musclecar or whatever
To not a few months later again parade how they made a motsa when re sold
Its stories like these that make me wonder do the general population really care outside of the $$$$$
Id really like to know also out of all the whingers whom complained they could have score this bargain,
How many genuinely were buying it for keeps ???
And how many were buying it for the quick $$$
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no issue with someone snapping a bargain thats not stealing but it is the announcers right ( maybe even responsibility) to inform the seller if he sees something wrong. if the car was just in the paper or what ever the buyer would have bagged a bargain and would have done no wrong as the buyer didn't set the price

he did the right thing

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can it be seen as stealing if the seller wants 20K and gets 20K??

Seriously unless you are a complete moron you would have some idea what the car is worth, and if you don't how about do some research before selling it!

If someone left me a house or car I know nothing about I would make enquiries as to it's value before selling it.

How would the people here feel if you were about to buy the car of your dreams for a 'good price" that otherwise you would never be able to afford and then some third party that has nothing to do with it comes along and talks the seller out of the sale, making him ask for more money, so now you can not afford the car, I bet you would not be happy.

So all the people here being 'high and mighty' if you came across an elderly widow that had this old car in the shed that she wanted to get rid of, it was her husbands,but is too loud and big for her to drive for $5000, and you rocked up and realised it was a mint condition GT of some sort worth 100K plus, I guess all you saints out there would advise her that she should sell it for 100K and walk away from the bargain - I think not!! So would you consider yourself a thief for buying the car and paying the asking price.

I think some of you people here need to get real
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Fair call by the presenter. Probably gives him more credibility to his audience now. If he was a curious and impartial onlooker while a deal was being done privately, different story. To the clowns who wrote in dodgy emails, given the circumstances - he could have easily have taken the call off the air and bought the car himself for a bargain price.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i see both sides, but in my opinion (and i do not know the true value of the car; $100,000 has been mentioned though) - isn't buying the car from an unsuspecting seller for $20,000 the equivalent of stealing $80,000.
the onus is always on the seller to do their own research before setting a price. a seller should never rely on a buyer to provide this information.

is harvey norman a thief because you can find whitegoods/appliances much cheaper elsewhere?

that said, the presenter did the right thing. as they say, to the buyers, too bad so sad.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #26
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

There is a difference between being ripped off and not doing your research, if it is advertised as 20K and someone gives 20K your not ripping him off, he got what he asked.

In saying that i belive the announcer as a 3rd party did the right thing informing him of the cars real value, perhaps the said gentleman will do his research and get what the car deserves to fetch.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

+1 to the announcer did the right thing great to see lots of honest people, shame to say there arent as many in my generation.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Fair call by the presenter. Probably gives him more credibility to his audience now. If he was a curious and impartial onlooker while a deal was being done privately, different story. To the clowns who wrote in dodgy emails, given the circumstances he could have easily have taken the call off the air and bought the car himself for a bargain price.
Well said.

what would we do on this site if a guy wanted to sell his deceased brother's GT Falcon for $20,000,
I'm sure that those with integrity and a sense of fair play would step in....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #29
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the presenter did the right thing. That said, given the opportunity, I would swindle an ignorant old granddad out of his XB/XC coupe without batting an eyelid.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
LTDHO
The one and only

So no one buys from sales because the discount is stealing???
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post