Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #3901
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

So went to adjust the preload on the springs of my rc car after re doing the shocks. So this is on me, the 1st one i did stuff up. It was leaking. So not the end of the world, i made 2 mistakes, didnt seat the bladder properly and didnt tighten the cap enough. So a bit of a wipe and re oil and attempt to get it right, not too bad. Ill wear that. Other 3 shocks were golden. Then i noticed a circlip was missing from an axle. Theyre tiny and i dunno how i even noticed. But i have spares off busted axles i keep for spares. Fiddly yes, but job done. So pre thrash after preload adjustment i measured the front with a spirit level. Post thrash i did the same, it didnt appear to be leaking, but science. So it appears to be good. All this handling business makes the thing a heap quicker. So not faster as the top speed is the same, but qucker as it can launch better, enter corners with more speed, maintain mid corner speed and exit with more speed.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #3902
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

For the first time in 14 days, I was able to get out of the yard. To celebrate. I went for a 6km walk. Could have kept going, too.

Test results for the daughter and I came back today. Both negative. So we're free!

Still haven't heard from DHHS either. Whilst I am comfortable with the feeling of having done the right thing, I could have easily been out mingling with the masses.

Hopefully life will be back to normal now. Off to visit some friends at their house tomoz night after going out for dinner. After not being able to visit someone else's house for such a long time (so long, I can't even remember how long ) , it's going to feel rather odd.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #3903
slowsnake
Banned

Decided that since I bought a new car battery and am waiting for a new alternator to arrive, thought I would fix the big dent in the bonnet! - sans big boomer kangaroo at 100 clicks, going to be a hard graft in my physical state but shrink and stretch, and then bog and spray can paint, let you know how it works out, may take a while though, have to be right on the ball and pace myself!

Will take before, inbetween and after pics, its a good feeling too!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #3904
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Massive workfest yesterday and this morning from early, to throw the Territory back together. Left the house at 11:15, two hours later than planned. My mate took the wheel - it’s his car, so why not?

Drove my 90-odd neighbour to Goulburn, her sister there had been hospitalised after a fall last night, no visiting allowed (which is actually a good sign; it means they think she will mend).

So she had a late lunch with her BIL, who is a good mate of mine, each got to see a dear face witheld so long prior, plus a decent phone conversation with the sister in hospital. This stuff is important to me; one may not know when is the last time - so it feels good to help with a visit.

Plus an epically rainy drive on the Federal and back at a fair clip, to pick up my correct-for-tray ladder rack. Return to Sydney after collecting neighbour from Goulburn, car ran flawlessly over 600+km. Potato soup with caramelised onion rings for tea, what a day. I’m full of love and happiness; been a really nice time.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #3905
Kicking back

So it stopped raining and dried out a tad. So i checked the shock i did a bum job on on my rc car and it appears to be apples after round 2. So conditions are in my opinion perfect for this truck. Damp and slippery. So way less traction so you can slide it around a heap more, if not 100% on it it will spin all 4s and launch, get on it 100% it still wheelie for days. So a solid thrash and the shock hasnt leaked. No tell tail signs of dirt sticking to any leaky oil. Its as uniformly dirty as the other 3.
Only nit picking thing is i will up the front spring preload a smidge. Yes it handles better then ever, but i reckon theres room for improvement with the parts in it. Im pretty sure ive exhausted the list of suspension parts that i can throw at it.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #3906
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

When are you building the 1:1 version of this, so we can all have a go?
Old 05-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #3907
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
When are you building the 1:1 version of this, so we can all have a go?
Nah, that would be reckless and put real people at harm, or in harms way. I prefer doing dumb stuff that is harmless.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #3908
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Finally getting of the ship, taxi will pick me up in 1 hour then heading to the Mercure at Darwin Airport for the night, fly out tomorrow arvo......

First 4 weeks away was ok, the last 1 & 1/2 not so.......**** Covid and the carrier it rode in on!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #3909
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Massive workfest yesterday and this morning from early, to throw the Territory back together. Left the house at 11:15, two hours later than planned. My mate took the wheel - it’s his car, so why not?

Drove my 90-odd neighbour to Goulburn, her sister there had been hospitalised after a fall last night, no visiting allowed (which is actually a good sign; it means they think she will mend).

So she had a late lunch with her BIL, who is a good mate of mine, each got to see a dear face witheld so long prior, plus a decent phone conversation with the sister in hospital. This stuff is important to me; one may not know when is the last time - so it feels good to help with a visit.

Plus an epically rainy drive on the Federal and back at a fair clip, to pick up my correct-for-tray ladder rack. Return to Sydney after collecting neighbour from Goulburn, car ran flawlessly over 600+km. Potato soup with caramelised onion rings for tea, what a day. I’m full of love and happiness; been a really nice time.

I'll have half!......
Old 05-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #3910
slowsnake
Banned

Getting my new you beaut no name alternator delivered and fitted in, took a weight off my mind, cooking my new battery was my main worry, but I am sore, feels like I got a hurdlers hamstrings, geez what a work out, but it was just so enjoyable, just being able, able enough to do it, able to succeed ( I hate that word, always reminds me of a parrot with no beak! )

So all's good on the Western Front, geez have heard that somewhere before!
But feeling worthwhile I suppose, that's how I feel, worthwhile, and pretty happy about today as a whole, being so productive made me happy 😊
Old 06-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #3911
Kicking back

So earlier this year i got my kid his 1st phone. Optus gave me an offer too good to pass up when i upgraded my phone plan. So i kept it all a secret, my kid knew soon he would get a phone but assumed it would be one of my or his mums old ones and on pre paid. So i received the brand newey, a galaxy a21 so not a bad bit of kit, put a back cover on it and one of those glass screen protectors on it, put it on a plan linked to my account etc. So my kids really good with stuff, overprotective would be the term. So he was super excited to have a brand new current model phone. I was speaking to him yesterday and he was devistated. He dropped it and cracked the screen protector. He was surprised that i didnt care in the slightest. The $10 screen protector did its job. Optus offered me the phone for $36, my kid doesnt know that, they retail for more then that. But its good he treats things respectfully. He is 12 so you'd like to hope so.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #3912
slowsnake
Banned

Just waking up late, had a lie in till 5:30am, and am not as sore as I thought I would be, I'm surprised really, put big effort in on Fairmont yesterday, and all back and leg stretching, but my right shoulder is achy, but, mustn't grumble, cars fixed, just have to see how this " no name el cheapo alternator " goes, the wreckers wanted $160 for second hand one?......bit rich, not rebuilt but second hand, so a brand new no name for $184 plus postage, express $12 extra I thing was good, it's a shopping trolley, and I feel good it's fixed
Old 06-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #3913
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Here I am in Hervey Bay where I met up with a couple of my Vietnam Veteran mates for a funeral of a fellow Vietnam Vet.

We went downtown for brekky the next day and this couple paid for our meals and thanked us for our service

AMAZING!

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #3914
slowsnake
Banned

That's a really nice sentiment from the couple who shouted your meal, good on em, hope you had a good catch up with ya mates even though it was a funeral!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #3915
slowsnake
Banned

Getting a pm from "oldel" telling me he would drop off his dent puller for me to my place in Perth, he lives in Perth too, but not near me.
What a very kind gesture, and totally unexpected

I am usually the one who does everything for others, but it feels funny when someone I don't know offers to help, feels weird, but I'll take it, lol, all day....
Too cool!
Old 07-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #3916
Kicking back

So back on the rc car business. I updated the firmware. So anyhow, previously the thing bluetoothed to my phone and showed speed, rpms, temp and battery voltage. However the thing has a gyroscope for the adjustable yet somewhat annoying if up too much stability management thing. The update, that gives you 2 inclimotetre guages. So for general use, yep useless. But for suspension setup, great. So the left and right i was out 2°. Theres 2 constants an 1 variable. The constants are fixed compnents on the right and in the middle, the variable is the battery on the left side. A smaller one weighs less then a bigger one. So i wasnt too far off. Got it to equal. Front to back was 4° rake towards the rear, but thats my prefference. Ran it hard and checked again without lifting it up an effectively resetting the suspension. Left and right was zero, front to back was 5° rake. So thats absolutely where i like it.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #3917
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Getting a pm from "oldel" telling me he would drop off his dent puller for me to my place in Perth, he lives in Perth too, but not near me.
What a very kind gesture, and totally unexpected

I am usually the one who does everything for others, but it feels funny when someone I don't know offers to help, feels weird, but I'll take it, lol, all day....
Too cool!
Well "oldel" turned up at 1pm, went inside chatted for awhile mainly about life and cars etc, but he ain't OLD, he's 15 yrs younger than me, lol.
But a very nice person, quietly spoken and polite, like me

But I will use what he lent me and I will get this thing back to new, he's a bit doubtful though I think, but first online forum member I have met, then again I only belong to this one, or it's the only one I post on, I belong to Hyundai Forums Europe, but just to get info, no chat.

A good day, thanks oldel!
Old 08-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #3918
slowsnake
Banned

Finding my cat on my bed at 4am, haven't seen him since lunchtime yesterday, any strange cars pull up in my driveway and the cat is there looking for bugs to eat from the bumper and grill, lol, he's a funny bugger, can't wait until he jumps on his chair, the one oldel sat in, he's like the story of The Three Bears, and Goldilocks, but my cat going to sniff like a Hoover vacuum, he will look at me, give a long drawn out yowl, as if to say, " who's been sitting in my chair "

Hehehe no sh.t, who's been sitting in my chair,
Old 08-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #3919
Kicking back

So conditions are good today, gave the rc car a run. So happy with the suspension setup. So ripped it as it was, then just to see if there was any room for improvement i upped the spring preload. Well, that made it less good. Set it back to where it was and back to good. Lowered the pre load, same thing. So set it back to where i had it and i think its the best it can be handling wise for what it is. Its a 1/10th 4x4 monster truck so its never going to handle like a dirt track racer, however it does jump well and gets over stuff.
So the suspension bits ive put in it, im done. So things will remain untill i break something. So the stock remaining suspension bits are front steering blocks and rear caster blocks. Its got extended upper and lower suspension arms, extended steering rods, upgraded springs, ally front caster blocks, heavier shock absorber oil and aftermarket axles. So yes 'stock' shocks, but they're ally and rebuildable with heaps of aftermarket bits so you can re valve them etc but thats out of my realm, they work so I'll keep them as is.
So ask me again in 3 weeks, but currently im a bit surprised yet happy with how much suspension alone improved this thing that was already not bad stock. So i dont think i will modify driveline just yet, if i do it will be gears, but i struggle to max it out at 81kmh in the small space i run it and the motor isnt stressed doing that so its got the power for longer legs. Gears are cheap, so maybe I'll do that because i can, but not today or tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #3920
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So conditions are good today, gave the rc car a run. So happy with the suspension setup. So ripped it as it was, then just to see if there was any room for improvement i upped the spring preload. Well, that made it less good. Set it back to where it was and back to good. Lowered the pre load, same thing. So set it back to where i had it and i think its the best it can be handling wise for what it is. Its a 1/10th 4x4 monster truck so its never going to handle like a dirt track racer, however it does jump well and gets over stuff.
So the suspension bits ive put in it, im done. So things will remain untill i break something. So the stock remaining suspension bits are front steering blocks and rear caster blocks. Its got extended upper and lower suspension arms, extended steering rods, upgraded springs, ally front caster blocks, heavier shock absorber oil and aftermarket axles. So yes 'stock' shocks, but they're ally and rebuildable with heaps of aftermarket bits so you can re valve them etc but thats out of my realm, they work so I'll keep them as is.
So ask me again in 3 weeks, but currently im a bit surprised yet happy with how much suspension alone improved this thing that was already not bad stock. So i dont think i will modify driveline just yet, if i do it will be gears, but i struggle to max it out at 81kmh in the small space i run it and the motor isnt stressed doing that so its got the power for longer legs. Gears are cheap, so maybe I'll do that because i can, but not today or tomorrow.
It would probably be a good idea to start a separate Radio Controlled thread, I'm sure other members would like to see your cars and compare mods.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #3921
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So conditions are good today, gave the rc car a run...
Hey mate, I would love to be able to read about your RC car without reading the other stuff in between.

Would you be willing to make a build thread in here about it?

No dramas if you don't want to, I'd just like to know more about them.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #3922
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
It would probably be a good idea to start a separate Radio Controlled thread, I'm sure other members would like to see your cars and compare mods.
Yep, bloody good idea, I certainly enjoy reading number 4's RC escapades, I'm not or never have been interested in RC cars etc, except I would love to fly an RC Spitfire or Hurricane WW2 era, or even a Mustang P51, but an RC thread with number 4 at the controls, lol, would be cool.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #3923
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

We are one race closer to ending the Mercedes Grand Prix streak in Formula 1. Go Max!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #3924
Kicking back

I said 3 weeks but then checked ebay. The way i stop myself buying crap is set it to Australia only and postage. So current gearing is 2.08:1 with a 24 tooth ally pinion and a 50 tooth nylon spur gear. Turns out gears are cheap and available in australia. So i ordered and went with a steel 26 tooth pinion and steel 46 tooth spur. So ratio down to 1.77:1. But thats nothing to do with final drive, pinion attaches to the motor, spur attaches to the driveline. So the rest is diff gearing.
But it should at worst get it into the 90s top end wise.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #3925
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Got out for my first run in nearly three weeks. I expected it to be slow after that long without much exercise. I normally do 7km, but was happy to run 5km without stopping. 29m 34s, so was pretty slow.

Was bloody hard, too. Didn't think I was going to make 2km!

But, now that I've done it, I feel bloody great for it.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 01:06 AM   #3926
slowsnake
Banned

Not today, but what's made me feel good tonight is watching the Obeid family on Channel 2 Four Corners, oh I love it I love it, this parasite Obeid and his family have screwed the NSW public and taxpayers for years, with the help of corrupt politicians, and what is being investigated tonight is just staggering in its depth, very good journalism too, hope the whole corrupt family get jailed with Daddy, or Uncle Eddie!..
Old 09-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #3927
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
We are one race closer to ending the Mercedes Grand Prix streak in Formula 1. Go Max!
Stuff Max, go Dan.....
Old 09-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #3928
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Had the AC in the most recently acquired car serviced, it’s a bumper off job. Recovered about 1/3 of a charge, pumped it to 200PSI with H2 and used Big Blue foaming liquid plus a sniffer, nothing. Mate reckons a combination of marginal condenser porosity, tiny compressor seal seep, and maybe a failing O-ring on the evaporator connection, were the contributing factors of that refrigerant loss over 4½ years. 550g of 134A back in, with a shot of dye. Nice and cold!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 11:43 PM   #3929
slowsnake
Banned

Just sitting here alone, been hearing this whisper, a very quiet sound, its a voice from whence it comes I do not know, but its definitely talking to me, a very quiet barely audible whisper, I know what it's saying now, it's crystal clear...bed calling Billy!....bed calling Billy....Goodnight folks
Old 11-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #3930
Kicking back

Yesterday i ordered some bits for my rc car at about 3pm from queensland. Arrived today at 11am. So dont ask me how that works for $3 standard postage with aus post. So i got new bumpers and bash plates as theyre cheap and my bumpers have seen enough bumps and my bash plates have been bashed almost as often as a pedo in prison. But the big ticket item i was excited for was something i had yet to find in stock in Australia. Priced the same as from the US or UK, but without the absorbent postage and legnthy shipping times. It was the gps receiver. So more accurate speed readouts. So it did have speed readouts before, but similar to a real car in that effectively its wheel speed. So tell it gearing and wheel and tyre size and it calculated off motor rpms. So now it uses the honest aliens in space.
Plus a few days back i rebuilt the rear diff using much thicker silicone to stiffen it up. Left the front diff be as to not affect turning performance. The main improvement is braking performance as the brakes are the motor so it slows the driveline, and being open diffs, the front isnt an issue due to weight transfer. But the rear would send braking force to the tyre with least resistance. So its much better in that department.