Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Hiring a Ford

Are there any companies that will 100% rent a Falcon these days? Im heading south for a few days and last time I hired a car in the large segment under the premise of "Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon" I got stuck with a god forsaken Camry. Guess it could have been worse.

Is there anyone when I book online can make sure its a Ford? G6 is fine but Ill settle for a XT.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hiring a Ford

I always go thru Budget or Avis booking XR6, and occasionally get an SV6. If it's a large rental depot I can't see why you couldn't request a Falcon when you pick up the keys. Personally I don't care if its Falcon or Commodore, just as long as its not some 4 cylinder pos out of Asia then I'm happy.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Nope... Its a matter of getting what you are given, unless the attendant on the day is nice and will give you something you request. Usually they will give you an option providing you turn up there early! Ive requested a few cars and been given them, but occasionally I get a dog (VE Omega!).
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
AJ09

Last time I hired a car from Budget, they had Falcons. Not sure if it has changed.

I thought I would get an XT, instead it was a brand new XR6.

The reason for the hire car was I had a run in with skippy in my VE work car. It seems something finally went right for me as I got to drive a real car for 3 weeks while the VE was being repaired!!
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hertz will do it, just make the booking for a large car, and ask for what you want. Unless very very busy, they will give you a car (that they have), that you ask for.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hertz have just about phased out their Falcons, if you get one it will be fairly old (for a rental)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just booked a Falcon through Hertz in New Zealand for January. Their category stated Ford Falcon or similar with a picture of an FG XT. I emailed the branch I was hiring from to ask what else I may end up with, and they replied saying the only car they have in that class is the Falcon XR6. So I booked it

Its more difficult in NZ cause so many of the rental companies have grey imported garbage from Japan, I was keen to avoid those especially considering the caliber of the roads I'll be driving.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I just booked a Falcon through Hertz in New Zealand for January. Their category stated Ford Falcon or similar with a picture of an FG XT. I emailed the branch I was hiring from to ask what else I may end up with, and they replied saying the only car they have in that class is the Falcon XR6. So I booked it

Its more difficult in NZ cause so many of the rental companies have grey imported garbage from Japan, I was keen to avoid those especially considering the caliber of the roads I'll be driving.
Stick with the main companies and they have the usual new stuff the same as Australia. The smaller cheaper ones (like Apex) have old imported crap usually driven by back packers. I needed a car last year between xmas and new years, and everything was booked out across all companies including camper vans, except this heap of ****. Worst car I've driven. Looses speed on hills, pull out to pass a truck on a hill and it nearly beats you to the top. This is the result of lax import laws - NZ roads flooded with them.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

We where in Melbourne for a small vacation last week and with the hope of seeing some snow at Lake Mountain I pre booked a XR6 from Budget.
Rocked up 8am to pickup our wheels only to be told in a most enthusiastic voice that we had the choice of two SV6's or an Aurion ....much to my disgust we drove away in a Commy and I couldn't see a Falcon in the rental car park anywhere.
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I think Budget had phased out their Falcons. Last time I hired an FG XR6 from budget was in April last year, they had a two year old XR6 with 66,000kms on the clock or a brand new SV6. I quizzed them about getting new XR6s and they said that they wouldn't be getting any more Falcons in ... :(
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Yeah I think Budget had phased out their Falcons. Last time I hired an FG XR6 from budget was in April last year, they had a two year old XR6 with 66,000kms on the clock or a brand new SV6. I quizzed them about getting new XR6s and they said that they wouldn't be getting any more Falcons in ... :(
Lots of businesses have retired the trusty old falcon, but the FBT is now fixed so that's all going to magically change. Ford is saved. The local hire companies will now support the local manufacturing companies like best friends. Our country will be rich before you know it anyone who thinks otherwise is a deadset harry flarry with an invalid opinion. The local businesses all care too much for each other to risk destroying local business by sourcing overseas because it simply suits their financial interests. Have faith.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

Ive always used hertz and had fg xr6's. it all depends on what they have at the time but they normally can note down on your booking that your prefer an XR6. If they actually look at the note before you turn up to pick up the car is a different story. I can only suggest you get there as early as you can as then you generally will have your option of whats in the yard before everyone else picks up their "ford falcon or equivalent", give you the ford falcon, and everyone else the equivalent
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I needed a car about a month ago. Booked large car through Hertz. Got a great FG 2012 XR6. Mrs loves holden but she was excited that she got to drive the FG. But then again she loves driving the GT.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I've booked cars through Europcar and normally get a XR6 but one time in NZ they gave me an Aurion SX6 instead.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I always try to book cars over the phone and always request a Falcon or Focus depending on the size of car I need. I never had a problem getting a Falcon but usually end up with a Corolla when blasting to the airport and only need the small. Geez the new coralla is cack as well.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
OCTANEBOSS

I got a choice of colours at the melb airport recently.... Il take the red fg xr6 thanks, they are faster lol. budget stock them, didnt book it thou early in the working week, 5 days $280, not to bad for the the comfort... reckon the are slightly detuned thou
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

Went to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, asked for the XR6 through Thrifty and they delivered, it was an awesome car!
I think i missed the XR6 more than Melbourne when I had to leave. :-(
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hertz XR numbers in Aus are dwindling sadly. They've got a right soup of different vehicles these days hiring can be an adventure. Book large and you have a better chance but my last one last week had 56000kms. Then this week Camry. Gives me something to do on the Tulla carpark thinking up smart lines for when I'm asked 'how was your car sir?'

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
Matty4
Banana

We're off to Cairns Monday week and have booked a car through Avis for the 5 of us.
It states "Full size sports Holden SV6 or similar."

As we're not arriving there until 7.30pm I imagine I'll get whatever's left.
Old 14-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother recently visited and hired a XR6 from Hertz. He made that car's presence know by showing the neighbours which wheel hooks up when the go pedal and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thanks for the feedback all, seems it might be a bit of a gamble then.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
We're off to Cairns Monday week and have booked a car through Avis for the 5 of us.

Which is exactly what happens. My mate runs a CBD Avis and the surrounding offices are forever swapping and trading cars on a daily basis. The 'Or Similar' clause is there to cover their behind. Often, you will be given a larger car or an 'upgrade' only because the car you should have got was not returned on time, returned to the wrong office or left somewhere inconvenient like the hotel car park or 2 streets away from the office due to the returning customer being unable to find parking, rushed or both.

In the case of the Sydney CBD offices the only thing they will confirm is the style of car 'or better'. You cannot confirm colour, brand, model etc due to the nature of the business and the supply of cars being out of the hands of the manager. A lot of customers try to request certain brands, colours (especially for weddings) and it is made clear at the time of booking that those requests can not be 100 certain upon collection.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

We are also going back up there next Feb and will be renting another VW Golf ($550 for 14 days)

I could never see a reason to get a big car. unless you've got lots of kids, on holiday.
The money I save on getting a smaller car I can spend on other fun stuff
Old 15-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
We are also going back up there next Feb and will be renting another VW Golf ($550 for 14 days)

I could never see a reason to get a big car. unless you've got lots of kids, on holiday.
The money I save on getting a smaller car I can spend on other fun stuff
Yep............I still have to take the 3 kids with me
Old 16-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yep............I still have to take the 3 kids with me
Yeap me too, but truth be told we have managed with a Golf MkV before and survived.

But I want a Falcon.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane