Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
BO55
Starter Motor

Default Extended Warranty Pay's Off

I Bought my XR8, March 2002.. Comes with 3 year, 100,000km warranty..

I was hospitalized with a 55% burn to my body in Feb 2005.(Just before the warranty runs out). Whilst in Hospital my mother offered to extend the warranty on my car to a 5 year,160,000km warranty. The car is now into it's extended warranty and i've recently noticed a bad noise coming from the gear box when it's reversed under load.. I took it to Ford this arvo, and "YEP",the reverse gear is F-----. Third gear's a ***** too.. Ford are now going to rebuild the box. : Also the power steering is leaking. They have to fix that too.

I wondered if it was gunna be worth while getting the extened warrany. Turns out "HELL YEAH". I've still got a year and three months left on the Warrany, or another 60,000km.

Has anyone else Extended their Warranty and payed off????

BO55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

I only had regular warranty, which has just run out unfortunately - it sounds like it was the best decision ever made in your case though!! Glad you still had warranty when that happened.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BO55
I Bought my XR8, March 2002.. Comes with 3 year, 100,000km warranty..

I was hospitalized with a 55% burn to my body in Feb 2005.(Just before the warranty runs out). Whilst in Hospital my mother offered to extend the warranty on my car to a 5 year,160,000km warranty. The car is now into it's extended warranty and i've recently noticed a bad noise coming from the gear box when it's reversed under load.. I took it to Ford this arvo, and "YEP",the reverse gear is F-----. Third gear's a ***** too.. Ford are now going to rebuild the box. : Also the power steering is leaking. They have to fix that too.

I wondered if it was gunna be worth while getting the extened warrany. Turns out "HELL YEAH". I've still got a year and three months left on the Warrany, or another 60,000km.

Has anyone else Extended their Warranty and payed off????
What did they charge for that? The extended warranty.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
BO55
Starter Motor

I was financially unable to pay for it at the time. I have my mum to thank for paying it.. I think it was about $1000.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Through our dealer in Canberra we got an extra 5 year extended warranty when we bought the car. It's not a full warranty as such, but it does help to ease the pain if something major needs doing. Recently I had the steering rack replaced under Warranty. So for me, the Warranty has already paid off.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
Caviar
98 EL Fairmont

Yep I got the extended "Ford Care" warranty, when i bought my car through a dealer in 2003 (car is a 98 model). As young as I was at the time the sales person probably thought it was easy money

New auto trans later, I've easily already recouped that cost. I also had a window regulator and new seatpan fixed under it. Will be doing that for other cars in the future I think.

On a side note, I was extremely lucky with the auto transmission :
Caviar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Haven't needed it yet, but I purchased my car last June with a 5 year warranty. I'll let you know if it was needed in another 4.5 years
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
BO55
Starter Motor

Not to mention that when the car was only 6 months old i had a rear main seal leak. That was quite major. Also a few other little thing like the 6 Disc Stereo being replaced three times.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

yep got a 3 year premium warranty with the 2nd hand SS. Got a power steering pump and idler pully/tensioner thingimajig done.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our extended 5 year is provided by the dealer. Small conditions attached, but thats cool.

The Warranty is called "Harrier"
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
EL_futuraistic

is there a mileage condition for extended warranty's??
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
BO55
Starter Motor

Yep!!!!

Standard 100,000
Extended 160,000
Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep .. got new PS rack, both window mechanisms, fuel guage, fuel sender replaced under extended warranty, so probably broke even?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the extended warranty on my AU11 fairmont.Paid $895 to extend the warranty to 6 years or 160,000k's.Money well spent' as I had a few things done during the extension period that would have cost me a lot more than that.When I bought the BA ute they had an extended warranty period of 5 years 100,000k's instead of the normal 3 years which was definately a bonus as i'm lucky to do 20'000k's a year.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

I've been umming and arring wether or not to extend the warranty on my ute. BA Mk1 Manual XR6. Done 78,000k's. Factory Warranty runs out in July. T

To date its had

- ecu reflash
- ecu replaced
- 1 LSD replaced and this 1 has done 17,000ks and is noisy again!
- Throttle Body.
- Throttle Position Sensor
- both headlight globes
- Both driving light globes
- New rotors x 2
- New rotors, pads and calipers x 4
- Nex Exhaust
- Manual gear shifter boot x 3
- Drivers Seat belt x 2
- Cup tray x 2
- Tonneau Cover
- Plastic B pillar covers both sides, used to warp in the sun
- Full set of wheel nuts
- rear shockers
- Numerous Water pump o rings (like every service!)
- Manifold gasket

My theory is if i can get most of the car replaced under warranty i wont need to extend it! Ha

Local Ford dealer hates me! I exploit my warranty to its full potential! They dont even argue with me anymore. if i go in with a valid fault they fix it straight away because they know i wont stop hounding them until its right!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #16
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I've been umming and arring wether or not to extend the warranty on my ute. BA Mk1 Manual XR6. Done 78,000k's. Factory Warranty runs out in July. T

To date its had

- both headlight globes
- Both driving light globes

Local Ford dealer hates me! I exploit my warranty to its full potential! They dont even argue with me anymore. if i go in with a valid fault they fix it straight away because they know i wont stop hounding them until its right!
You got headlight globes under warranty! Didnt think that they were covered as they were considered a consumable. You must have done some good deals to get your dealer to look after you like that.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first globe i replaced i paid for. Was talking to a mate with the same ute and we were chatting about what's gone wrong with mine and whats gone wrong with his. Mentioned the head light globe and he said " u didnt pay for it did u? " Said yep and he told me He has had 2 replaced as warranty items. Next was a blown driving light globe so i took it in and asked the service manager. He said they were covered so they did it. Its had another 1 of each since.

Same as when the stitching started coming out of my tarp in 1 corner. It wasnt even bad and i figued after 50,000ks they's just call it wear and tear as i'm a builder and its a work ute. I asked him and he sai " you're not gonna leave me alone until i give u a new 1 are you?" Told him no way, so he sent me round to spare parts to get a new 1.

No harm in trying! It's now done 78,000 k's and so far the only money i have spent on it outside scheduled servicing is a new set of tyres, which i got cheap as anyway! Got a set of tyres the same as the originals brand new off a guy who works at Dunlop out of the trading post for $500! The tyre joint who fitted them reckon they can even get them for that.

The only thing i havent had any luck in getting replaced is a clutch. If u give it anything over 3500 rpm with stuff in the tray and side step the clutch it just slips. They agreed its a problem but wont replace it as they feel what i'm asking of the car doesnt classify as being " normal driving conditions" Its been doing the same thing for about 40,000ks and hasnt gotten any worse so i'll just keep driving it until it's rooted and then put a heavier duty 1 in. They quoted me $2500 to put a new standard clutch in it! do they think its an F6 or something??!!!! Can get all of the genuine parts from a mate who works at ford for about $450 and do it myself when the warrany is up!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #18
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dont forget what ever type of warrenty you have, you still get 5 years for rust and corrosion. See any rust call 13 FORD, they will direct you to your local dealer who will the direct you to the prefered smash repairer and then the problem gets fixed. Just got to keep on to them. Had some rust cut out didn't cost anything apart from not having the car for 5 days.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
What did they charge for that? The extended warranty.
Don't forget the main fiscal condition - that you bend over the bonnet and get thoroughly reamed by Ford service for the entire extended warranty period. If you don't do this, they'll void the warranty, even if the problem with the car owes nothing to servicing, or lack thereof.

See http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=28236
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Extended Warranty Pay's Off

Hello guys - I recently purchased a used 2002 Fairmont Ghia V8 and also Ford Premium Care Extended Warranty which will cover the car for three years or whenm the car has travelled 180,000km, which in my case equates to another 120,000km.
I have been reading through the warranty booklet and in reading the section "What is not covered", it appears as if the warranty covers next to nothing, yet the car must be serviced by Ford to keep the warranty valid. To me this seems to be an exercise in creating money for Ford Service Department.
Even though this thread was written some time ago I would be interested in comments from other Ford Forum Members that have extended warranty and how they have found it

:lookedat:
Bolle Window Tint - fitted by Tint a Car
PWR Heat Exchanger, PWR Auto Transmission Oil Cooler - No milkshakes in this car.

After market DRL.
Custom fitted gauge holder with three gauges - Stav of Stingray Car Security.
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #21
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiverunner
Hello guys - I recently purchased a used 2002 Fairmont Ghia V8 and also Ford Premium Care Extended Warranty which will cover the car for three years or whenm the car has travelled 180,000km, which in my case equates to another 120,000km.
I have been reading through the warranty booklet and in reading the section "What is not covered", it appears as if the warranty covers next to nothing, yet the car must be serviced by Ford to keep the warranty valid. To me this seems to be an exercise in creating money for Ford Service Department.
Even though this thread was written some time ago I would be interested in comments from other Ford Forum Members that have extended warranty and how they have found it

:lookedat:
I think its the luck of the draw (for some1 that has a transmission replaced under extended warranty it pays for itself big time) but for the majority it wouldnt.(they wouldnt offer the extended warranty if it wasnt a money spinner) As u say the conditions are pretty tight & to have to have it serviced by the dealer than a competant mechanic using genuine parts its a bit rich. I have never taken up the extended warranty option myself.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #22
nb_351
building the xe...

we recently bought a mazda 3... and only paid 1000 for extended harrier warranty...
we also use harrier at work, and the amount of cars that come in to get things replaced at 150000kms is reassuring, sure there are things that arent covered, etc brakes and clutches etc... except in extreme cases... like a set of brake rotors in 500kms... but it also depends on the way the car is driven... if they can see its been driven like a race car they wont cover it, or if its been mistreated... cant beat it though...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #23
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiverunner
I have been reading through the warranty booklet and in reading the section "What is not covered", it appears as if the warranty covers next to nothing, yet the car must be serviced by Ford to keep the warranty valid. To me this seems to be an exercise in creating money for Ford Service Department
Oh my GOD! Who'd have thought a company would do such a thing?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The Ford extended warranty for an extra 3 years and 60000klm costs $1395.00 from the dealer. It is not exactly a factory warranty, it is basically an insurance policy. Ford take a commission from your $1395 and act as mediators on your behalf when you have your vehicle serviced with them. It really is a good idea from the standpoint that major component failure is expensive and you are covered, however minor components such as alternators and starter motors are seldom replaced; instead they are reconditioned. We recently had a case with a knocking diff and they were only allowed to pull it out, send it to the diff guy, ring the insurance company with the cause of the failure and await instructions. In the end, the extended warranty insurance paid for the rebuild of the diff with new components, and installation. This is opposed to cars less than 3 years old with the original factory warranty that just have a new diff all together put in.

All in all, when you add up the seperate component costs and labour it is well worth it.

Quote: