Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Thumbs down Aca - 11/04

Who watched ACA last night? There was another doco on hoons.
Admittingly I went straight int 'here we go' but, this one was different. A poor bloke described how a VH/VK came throught the front of his property and ended on it's side. (Big Deal I hear you say) That's when he saw his 4 year old son lying on the ground 45 meters away from the car. He had been hit. The bloke tried to resuscitate but 'he went cold in my arms'.
I really felt for this guy and though ACA did something right for once.
But ACA couldn't help themselves, with the police they started going on how cars with carbon fibre bonnets or alloys ot rear wings are dangerous.
I'm like WTF!!!
How did the carbon fibre bonnet kill the child???
Do these people have any idea at all?
I was so pi$$ed after seeing that.
No wonder kids are being killed.

Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

I was going to start a thread sbout this, but its just pointless. I just hate it how they (ACA) portray all cars with anything done to them, is a death trap. Like (was it D1ck?) said, its not the high performance cars, its the low performance drivers. An idiot will find a way to kill himself in an unmodified Datto, just as easily as a car with an exhaust.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

As above by The Monty.

Dick Johnson stated clearly on camera and has done so before in the past regarding this crap impounding rule -> It is not the high performance cars that cause the harm, its the uneducated low performance drivers. Dick J wants driver advanced driver education intorduced as part of the school program from 13years onwards and make it a part of the VCE / HSC. This is the only way you will reduce road fatalities.

None the less, there is always an idiot out there who thinks they are invincible an the best driver of all, yet you put them on the track in a high powered car and brick wall here we come.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think anything on ACA or TT is total sensationalist crap. Basically, Naomi Robson who's got a 3k a week coke habit ("I didn't know the guy I was dating was a dealer"), is perpetually looking like a sour puss who couldn't give a rats *** about what she's presenting, and Tracy Lockjaw (mutton dressed as lamb) couldn't give two sh1ts either. What these two women share in common is their lack of understanding and thirst for ratings. In the industry they call the shows "slick crap", and none of it is taken all that seriously.
The only thing these shows do successfully is mis-quote interviewees to try and push some higher rating content than the true story.
Just don't bother to watch them I say.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACA and TT content is a cyclic based upon a small number of topics:
1. Diets
2. Dodgy businessmen/tradies
3. Dangerous cars/drivers
4. Aussie battler stories
It's all cr@p and a great incentive for people to turn off the TV at this time and talk to the family over dinner ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When most of us talk about modifications, we here generally think performance enhancements. The majority of younger drivers with these types of cars are hopefully genuine car enthusiasts, members of car clubs and forum groups like AFF, drive high performance cars that are engineered and designed (eg. bigger brakes etc) with safety in mind, take great pride in their car and drive responsibly.

When the media/police target modified cars with younger drivers, we have to remember that a large percentage are 4 cylinder ИИИИboxes with a V8 supercar wing, excessively large chrome wheels and a 8" exhaust tip. The drivers of these cars think they do drive a performance car and here is the BIG problem. These idiots don't drive to the road conditions, their driving habits are dictated only by how much noise their car can make and their cars are NOT engineered to handle excessively high speed.

IMHO, this is a far bigger problem than kids behind the wheels of high performance cars. Instead of just focusing on the current restrictions banning young drivers and high performance cars, governments need to look at the big picture and address the whole problem.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
The only thing these shows do successfully is mis-quote interviewees to try and push some higher rating content than the true story.
No, i'd also like to think they do a great job of misinforming those Australians who refuse to scratch beneath the surface and will take anything at face value.

Damn hoons and their carbon fibre bonnets - they're a menace to society............ well, so naomi says.....
Old 12-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Another ИИИИ box kills someone...

If the government and media spent half as much time getting all the unroadworthy older cars off the road then we would probarly have 50% less accidents / fatalities. I was shocked that this idiot ran over a poor inocent kid, if he was my kid i would have went and shot the ***** who did it on the spot. Good for nothing PIECE of ИИИИ who probarly has all the excuses in the world.

As for Carbon fibre products they are DANGERIOUS as they are not OEM or tested for safety, you hit a person in a car with a standard bonnet chances are they are going to bounce off it and get seriously injured. In the case of a CF bonnet its more then likely going to crack and go thru their guts and kill them on the spot. I have never liked the idea of after market bonnets, and none of them are ADR compliant. Before Falkeen or someone comes in and says they are, i ask him to go find his stamped testing approval documents to say they are... Its like having kenworth bullbars on Patrols / Landcruisers in the city, i hate that to and think its an absolute disgrace that you see all these mothers driving around in their "Trucks" bullying people on the road.. I came close to having the *** end out of my ute removed the other day thanks to one, shes very ИИИИing lucky she didnt clean me up otherwise she would have had some serious problems.

I would also like to say to anyone here who drives an unroadworthy car, don't be stupid enough to think you can get away with it, tyres/brakes and other things are essential for your safety, your familys, your friends and everyone else on the road, if your tyres look like they are rooted go do something about it or lock the car up and use public transport. A bit of maintenance on your car is alot cheaper then someones life..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I don't belive pedestrian safety is written into the ADRS anymore than "no protruding object like rod holders on the front." However this is likely to change in the next few years following EU's lead.

Lamborgini, ferrari, Nissan, have products made of carbon fiber and are allowed to be driving on roads in Australia. Personally would rather hit a carbon fiber bonnet than a bull bar, or a bus or a truck.

I do agree that there are some morally wrong modifications. Bullbars that are exceedingly massive, modifications that negitively affect performance (lift kits over 2", excessively modified suspension (too hard, no compliance), absolutely nut tyre/wheel combos) all usually driven by idiots.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Forgive my stupidity, but whats the danger in having larger wheels?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read March Popular Mechanics, Big Brother Is Ticketing You, on line at www.popularmechanics.com and follow archives link. Interesting article. There are ways to reduce the road toll, as PM says "BUT THEY WON'T RAISE REVENUE" Thats what its all about, raising revenue. Pollies/police won't admit that, of course.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I think the whole 4X4 thing is another issue completely.

The bottom line is, they think they can get away with it, and ИИИИ everyone else.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #13
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_efxr
As above by The Monty.

Dick Johnson stated clearly on camera and has done so before in the past regarding this crap impounding rule -> It is not the high performance cars that cause the harm, its the uneducated low performance drivers. Dick J wants driver advanced driver education intorduced as part of the school program from 13years onwards and make it a part of the VCE / HSC. This is the only way you will reduce road fatalities.
That is one of the best idea's ive ever heard. If its drummed into them for a few years, even if they need to use a shock treatment type thing would be great. They should also provide driver instruction at a track before they go for thier L's. And organise track days at a low cost for those who want to.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

So the c/f bonnet made the car have the accident? Or did the bonnet break up and kill the child??? I guess non of the above?? I would say it was that "nut" again.. The one behind the steering wheel!!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

The killer was the lowered suspension deeming the car unsafe! LOL that killed me!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
GEE 87
302 ED fairmont ghia

also, its great if you decide to mod youre engine and the such, but if safety features such as brakes arent upgraded, then theres no point in modding in the first place - i mean lots of cars are underbraked these days in the first place - check out last years GEN 3 SS...still with 287mm (ish) discs until they were upgraded to 320's...i mean my ED 5.0 V8 has 287mm brakes!! and they're underpowered for the Windsor...
GEE 87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

My father in law took a Clubsport for a squirt outside of Katherine NT, and everything was fine, until he went for the anchors.... Not much there he reckons!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #18
GEE 87
302 ED fairmont ghia

nah not much there in the clubbies - i took my gf brothers one (yes theyre holden fans) out the other day - the VY R8 with brembos and tell u wat - even tho the GT is heavier it sure feels like it stops way better than the clubbies - read the handling olympics in wheels 2 issues ago for proof....
GEE 87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #19
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
The killer was the lowered suspension deeming the car unsafe! LOL that killed me!
lowered how though, chopped springs maybe, or the suspension was compromised due to be lowered so angles were wrong or the car bounced on the bump stops causing loss of steering control.

The fact is that alot of cars are modified in a way that does make them un-safe, like fitting a nice turbo so the car goes fast and standard brakes left on the car that just cant cope.

Regardless of mods being engineered or not if they are done right a car can still be safe, but the sad fact is as said above, going faster and looking good is sometimes put first instead of safety.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #20
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
I do agree that there are some morally wrong modifications. Bullbars that are exceedingly massive, modifications that negitively affect performance (lift kits over 2", excessively modified suspension (too hard, no compliance), absolutely nut tyre/wheel combos) all usually driven by idiots.
Now hang on! Morally Wrong??? So i am morally wrong for wanting decent frontal protection, Something the Ford Factory Bullbar does not provide???
I do disagree with overly big bullbars in Cities, but out here in the bush, they are essential for day to day driving! It has saved me more than a couple of times! :
Anyway this is not a Bullbar debate, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 12-04-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #21
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

My apologies for a minor sidetrack but how nice did his GT sound when he nailed it with the ACA reporter riding shotgun?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #22
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
lowered how though, chopped springs maybe, or the suspension was compromised due to be lowered so angles were wrong or the car bounced on the bump stops causing loss of steering control.

The fact is that alot of cars are modified in a way that does make them un-safe, like fitting a nice turbo so the car goes fast and standard brakes left on the car that just cant cope.

Regardless of mods being engineered or not if they are done right a car can still be safe, but the sad fact is as said above, going faster and looking good is sometimes put first instead of safety.
A lot of imports don't fall into this category as their braking and suspension were over-engineered in the first place. Where as cars that were never intended to have highish power and or a stereotypical turbo power curve. All comes down to knowing the safe limitation in all conditions of your own vehicle though. The 'I'm under the speed limit I'm safe" mentality doesn't help at all.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
My apologies for a minor sidetrack but how nice did his GT sound when he nailed it with the ACA reporter riding shotgun?

Thats the DJR 320, an up spec model, but I dont think its a GT. It sounded unreal though, yes. :
Old 12-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #24
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Another ИИИИ box kills someone...

If the government and media spent half as much time getting all the unroadworthy older cars off the road then we would probarly have 50% less accidents / fatalities. I was shocked that this idiot ran over a poor inocent kid, if he was my kid i would have went and shot the ***** who did it on the spot. Good for nothing PIECE of ИИИИ who probarly has all the excuses in the world.

As for Carbon fibre products they are DANGERIOUS as they are not OEM or tested for safety, you hit a person in a car with a standard bonnet chances are they are going to bounce off it and get seriously injured. In the case of a CF bonnet its more then likely going to crack and go thru their guts and kill them on the spot. I have never liked the idea of after market bonnets, and none of them are ADR compliant. Before Falkeen or someone comes in and says they are, i ask him to go find his stamped testing approval documents to say they are... Its like having kenworth bullbars on Patrols / Landcruisers in the city, i hate that to and think its an absolute disgrace that you see all these mothers driving around in their "Trucks" bullying people on the road.. I came close to having the *** end out of my ute removed the other day thanks to one, shes very ИИИИing lucky she didnt clean me up otherwise she would have had some serious problems.

I would also like to say to anyone here who drives an unroadworthy car, don't be stupid enough to think you can get away with it, tyres/brakes and other things are essential for your safety, your familys, your friends and everyone else on the road, if your tyres look like they are rooted go do something about it or lock the car up and use public transport. A bit of maintenance on your car is alot cheaper then someones life..
The problem i see with what you are saying here is you are blaming the cars not the person driving them. I have a few mates with 12/13 second cars obviosly heavily modified and full of aftermarket gear. They have never stacked them because they race on the strip not the road. If i had a kid I would much prefer them to start driving in a datto sunny than a brand new car cos even if its a competly stock falcon commie or even a hatch of some sort etc.. theyre still pretty gutsy cars and personally id feel better sending them out in a car i know they cant try and do burnouts etc.. By the way im only 24 so by the time i have kids BAs etc.. will be s#&t boxes lol.

I guess when it comes down to it like most have said they just need better/more training simple!!
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #25
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Everyone is against the hassle of an annual road worthy (like NSW have) but at the end of day it would stop alot of the current over modified cars seeing the road.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

All cars are dangerous, irregardless of modification, legal or not. Period. End of sentence. They are capable of killing & maiming, bringing countless grief to those that survive.

What prevents these vehicles killing everyone in sight, are the drivers. They make the difference between the vehicle being a weapon, and being a mode of transport.

A good driver can, and often do, drive defectable cars everyday safely, for many years. And I'm not talking about modification, but simple bad maintainence, rust and a host of other problems which would make most of us cringe.

A bad driver can take a brand new perfectly legal car off of the show room floor, and drive it through a group of nuns crossing an intersection given the right circumstances.

Now heres the problem.
Everybody likes to think they are good drivers.
The reality is less then 30% of the drivers on the road can be considered good drivers.
That includes people on this forum by the way.

We may be enthusiasts, but that does not make us any better or worse a driver, than any of the other millions of licensed drivers on the road. People dont respect the physics they are dealing with enough, they dont thoroughly understand their responsibility to people while operating a vehicle, and many of them, are far too interested in other things while they are driving. Most accidents can be attributed to lack of attention, and thats undisputable. And thats a human failure, not a mechanical failure.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #27
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I can see day coming where state gov's tell manafacturers that if they keep building "performance vehicles" that they will take them off gov's list of suppliers for cars. Just like in the 70's.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
LTDHO
The one and only

If I shoot a high powered gun into a crowd and kill some.
Who is liable me or the gun?
If I shoot a low powered gun into a crowd and kill some.

If you replace gun with car. Why does the responsibility change?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #29
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

right on mate.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #30
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Sorry, mate, common sense has no part to play in this debate!!!!

Well, said.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post