Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Default Speed limiters on high performance cars?

I just seen an ad on tv about this. This is so ИИИИing stupid, why punish everyone for idiots who have accidents. What they should do is, send everyone whop has a high performance car to do a course, then if they have an accident they get in ИИИИ for driving like an idiot. Why should everyone be punished for this, its ridiculous. You can still smash in a 76 mini doing 100 into another car, whats the bloody difference.

Old 18-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

It is simple. It is always the many that suffer because of the few.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

See the crash thread about NSW's response to this.

NSW is not Victoria, we will *not* allow it.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And what speed will they limit these cars to exactly, did they say?
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

My first XR6 was limited to 180 Km/h. I only discovered that on a Track day, when I was a member of a now defunct Tickford Club.

I wouldn't stand to have my car modified by a government that only want revenue. If it came out of the factory with no limiter, then that is how it stays.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How will speed limiting performance cars to say 180km/h prevent some moron from doing 120km/h in a 60 zone?
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
How will speed limiting performance cars to say 180km/h prevent some moron from doing 120km/h in a 60 zone?
Exactly!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

And just like current limiters, how easy to remove!!!!!!!!!
Old 18-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Limiter? Whats a limiter? Mwahahahahahaha :

I love my edit

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Limiter? Whats a limiter? Mwahahahahahaha :

I love my edit
And Casper, have you ever had the chance to go over the limit with the 2-Over Speed Cameras in Victoria? I was threatened with Divorce if I spent any more money than maintenance on any of my cars, especially the XR6. "its fun enough" I was told.
Old 18-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

won't be long before they introduce this. It won't stop the problems but with knob heads out there doing stupid speeds of course knee jerk reactions will happen.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
And Casper, have you ever had the chance to go over the limit with the 2-Over Speed Cameras in Victoria? I was threatened with Divorce if I spent any more money than maintenance on any of my cars, especially the XR6. "its fun enough" I was told.
only at the race track.. I'm a law abiding citizen who travels at 10kph under the limit at all times and would never dream of exceeding the posted limit for fear of spontaniuosly combusting. While I'm 10kph under the limit I am untouchable. I can pull out infront of Prime movers, drive through 4 ft of water, use the median strip as an extra lane, its all good, I'm perfectly safe, I'm under the speed limit, just ask the Bracks government.

Oh look, a pig just flew by..............

Old 18-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

120kph limits on all cars??

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1242,00.html

How can "120kph" limits on all cars be considered reasonable???
Old 18-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
only at the race track.. I'm a law abiding citizen who travels at 10kph under the limit at all times and would never dream of exceeding the posted limit for fear of spontaniuosly combusting. While I'm 10kph under the limit I am untouchable. I can pull out infront of Prime movers, drive through 4 ft of water, use the median strip as an extra lane, its all good, I'm perfectly safe, I'm under the speed limit, just ask the Bracks government.

Oh look, a pig just flew by..............
Oh good, Dinner!

So you are the person off the AAMI add, where I wasn't laughing because I was paying for Your Insurance then?

The Problem with the Territory is that you can't overtake the said Prime Movers before you run out of Road. Especially with the 4 Speed.
Old 18-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
120kph limits on all cars??

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...4-1242,00.html

How can "120kph" limits on all cars be considered reasonable???
You are as dead if you are hit at 120 Km/h, as if you are at 180 Km/h, so, no that doesn't help. I witnessed a head-on on the Captain Cook Bridge last year, where an Ex-Cop and his wife were killed when a Commodore ventured into their path. At 90 Km/h. Maybe we all should be limited to 40 and be done with it.
Old 18-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Oh good, Dinner!

So you are the person off the AAMI add, where I wasn't laughing because I was paying for Your Insurance then?

The Problem with the Territory is that you can't overtake the said Prime Movers before you run out of Road. Especially with the 4 Speed.
but I'm under the speed limit, I'm untouchable. Unlike you, your a baby killing hoon who is state enemy number 1 because you dare to go 5kph over the limit. :hihi:

Old 18-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
Angeldust

the speed of trucks and heavy vehicles should be limited.

a 10tonne truck doing 100kph has the same momentum as me doing over 800kph !

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Funny how they want to penalise the masses by sticking something under the bonnet, when the people who are causing the problem spend most of their time under there. Knee jerk reaction at its best. I also loved hearing the NSW police say today "We don't know what to do".

BTW, who pays for these new limiters?
What happens when you try to overtake someone?
As mentioned above, if I do 120 in a 60 zone am I safe?
That accident on Sunday morning they estimate the WRX was doing 100kph, would the limiter have stopped the accident happening?

Good god, they ИИИИИ the public transport now they wanna control private vehicles too?
Our number plates will need to be changed to "NSW - Knee Jerkin' Nanny State"

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've seen soooo many residential accidents and incidents that are not speed related but rather caused by idiocy or incompitance or bad judgment

There's nothing like a newborn to bring out the road-rage in you...

What about the waterfall train disaster. Trains are speed limited, but it was still speeding in a slower zone....

The government should hear out real public opinions, not just a survey of 1000 people of which are probably all over 40, or just all internal government burocrats (sp?).

1. Terminate a drivers licence on the spot and not 28 days after the decission.
2. All new drivers are to get an advanced driving course
3. Take Vic's stance and limit cetain powerfull cars (power - weight ratio)
4. Instead of using this stupid GPS thing for slowing the car down, how about ALSO issuing a fine....
5. Allow a place for ppl to max out their cars like on a track or something (There's nothing here in Canberra)

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw this on the news...A policeman was on there saying that if it was up to him limiters would be installed on all vehicles from tomorrow....glad its not up to him!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NSW will not legislate this.

The CALL for a speed limiter is being raised by the head of the NSW Police Traffic Branch AND Paul Gibson, head of Staysafe (yet again).

The call is for a 120km/h speed limiter. (Utterly ignoring NT and FUTURE 130km/h potential limits for freeways).

The Police chap will raise the issue in a meeting with other interstate heads of traffic policing soon.

NOW, this move was first raised in seriousness by Paul Gibson, December 15, 2004 in Canberra.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, many safety advocates and professional resisted the idea and for many varied reasons. IT WAS KNOCKED STONE DEAD BY THEN DEPUTY PM, JOHN ANDERSON.

AUSTRALIA will not allow itself to be at an international disadvantage by adopting so.

The POLICE must not get away with this. Utter incompetance.

NB - The 29 year old driver was soon to have his license suspended, he had been caught previously at 30km/h and over.

NB2 - The NSW Liberals are calling for increased vehicle confiscation and sale laws, read for 'speed' offences. If they keep that up, they will NOT win the next election.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #22
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

That gps thing is another ИИИИty idea, to put in the "ИИИИ ideas" section, along with the new 120KM/H speed limit thing. Its all about experince, and awarness. If people were actually aware/knew how to control cars correctly (ie perfromance/defencsive driver ed) then maybe they would learn that if a car slides like this, you do so and so to stop yourself from dying. I'm all for the defensive driving courses being mandatory, hell i would love to do one, so i could scare the ИИИИ out of myself, and learn how to control my car properly and safely.
Old 18-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
but I'm under the speed limit, I'm untouchable. Unlike you, your a baby killing hoon who is state enemy number 1 because you dare to go 5kph over the limit. :hihi:

As long as you don't call me a Materialistic Yuppie, then I'm happy.

Me, public enemy number one? What Happened to Harold Scruby?
Old 18-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #24
Zephyr
Old rookie

So I can still do 110kph and not kill anyone?

I wonder why the speedo's on most cars go to 200kph in Australia yet most roads are half that or less. I'm sure there will be an edit available to override it.

What's next??
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #25
FAT071
Low 'N' Fat, The Only Way

Soon they will be telling us when to go and have a sh*t and which hand to wipe with.
What a crock of sh*t there's no way in hell I'll limit any of my cars. How will they limit cars without computers? bet they haven't though of that one. You'll be suprised how many cars are still on the roads that don't have computers.
Mick
Destroyer
FAT071 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wh apply a speed limiter only to high performance/sports cars? Surely a car built to run and handle properly at 180 is safer then the family hack BA XT that can do 180, but how safe is it???

We should just follow the speed limit as set by German car manufacturers. 250km/h.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #27
FAT071
Low 'N' Fat, The Only Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
We should just follow the speed limit as set by German car manufacturers. 250km/h.
Pity the roads can't handle that speed it would be nice. you'd do Syd-Bne in 4 hrs instead of 10
Destroyer
FAT071 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #28
paulvdb

What pee's me off the most about this rubbish is that
- pollies smoke, so they couldn't care less that thousands of people die every year from tobacco
- pollies gamble, so they couldn't care less about gambling addictions ruining families
- pollies don't seem to drive cars for some reason, so suddenly it's terrible that these evil cars are allowed to drive over 10kph without a special guide walking in front waving a red lantern to warn people

Our pollies, shockjocks and their hangers-on are idiots with this current fixation on what's vote-able today rather than what's best for the country. There doesn't seem to be a rational and believable pollie left in our country.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #29
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

its absolute bs and not one solution they can come up with will work, unless they ban cars. if they did do it, they should only put them in new cars sold from now on. Much like how you dont have to have seat belts fitted in old cars that didnt have them in them when you bought them.
Old 18-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #30
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

What the politicians must realise is that we live in a big country. Australians use their cars to travel more than anything else. They must understand that there is big wide countryside outside their city based offices and electorates and their are people who travel in the countryside and there are things to go and see in the big wide open country of ours. Whenever people drive cars, there will be accidents, simple. I wonder how many pollies actually drive motor vehicles on substandard roads. They want to help reduce road tolls, perhaps they can start spending money on roads. Just look at the Mitchell Hwy in the NSW central tablelands. Appalling. Newell Hwy. Appalling. M7 in western Sydney, well what do you say.

Some pollies need to be sacked for drumming up all this rubbish and for the poor state of our roads. I apologise to our city brethren here, I'm sure you have your fair share of crap roads.

I dont see NSW or Australia for that matter, legislating this rubbish. It would cost this country heaps in terms of ADRs for the Euro and Jap manufacturers.

Seems that the pollies get all excited by this stuff, especially when these journos get on the bandwagon about it all.