Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2024, 11:16 PM   #1
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Questions for long term storage of my BA Falcon

Hey all.

I have had a Santa Fe since last April so "Henry" had been put in mothballs. Infact apart from moving him today to get to the back of the garage, he's been unused and attached to a battery charger. He fired straight up!

His not for sale and I want to store him until he is able to be put on club registration in around 5 years. I've thought about this and want people's thoughts.

Trust option is simply keep him registered and drive it every few months down the freeway. Keep tank full and add fuel stabiliser. That's $850 rego plus around $350 insurance.

Next option is to completely store him long term.

I'm thinking flush coolant, siphone the fuel tank completely. Maybe take fuel pump relay and and run it dry. Chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off in neutral. Take rego and insurance off. He's in the garage and it's always dry, just dusty.

LPG doesn't go off so that's all good.

Then I figured when the time came, full up with fuel and away we go..... Maybe!

Does this sound ok?

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Questions for long term storage of my BA Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Hey all.

I have had a Santa Fe since last April so "Henry" had been put in mothballs. Infact apart from moving him today to get to the back of the garage, he's been unused and attached to a battery charger. He fired straight up!

His not for sale and I want to store him until he is able to be put on club registration in around 5 years. I've thought about this and want people's thoughts.

Trust option is simply keep him registered and drive it every few months down the freeway. Keep tank full and add fuel stabiliser. That's $850 rego plus around $350 insurance.

Next option is to completely store him long term.

I'm thinking flush coolant, siphone the fuel tank completely. Maybe take fuel pump relay and and run it dry. Chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off in neutral. Take rego and insurance off. He's in the garage and it's always dry, just dusty.

LPG doesn't go off so that's all good.

Then I figured when the time came, full up with fuel and away we go..... Maybe!

Does this sound ok?
If planning long term storage, do you still want to be able to move the car if it's in the way occasionally otherwise, I'd also consider raising it off the ground?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2024, 03:50 PM   #3
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
If planning long term storage, do you still want to be able to move the car if it's in the way occasionally otherwise, I'd also consider raising it off the ground?
No once it's parked that'll be it :-)

I did consider raising the car, but then I read cars aren't designed to be of their wheels. I've realised that the tyres will be week and truly shot by then but that's ok.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
Old 28-01-2024, 06:50 PM   #4
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an owner of a car that spent alot of its life not being driven, on average it did less than 2000km per year in the 4 years preceeding my purchase, I don't believe there is anything you can do to keep the car "sound" for long term storage.

All the bushes looked pristie upon inspection and purchase, but they all ripped apart within 6 months of ownership. It needed an injector reco and new FPR becasue the bad fuel in the rail ate the plastic fiters in the injectors, causing them to collape into the nozzle, and it also reacted with the diaphragm in the FPR. All things regular results in a B-series that wasn't regularly driven.

If your bushes have been replaced with a urethane alternative you're likely to avoid that issue though.

As you've found I wouldn't be lifting it off the ground. if the bushes are rubber this will accelerate the damage as they will constantly be in their stretched position.

If you can dump all the fuel and blow any fuel out of the rail, this might save the injectors and FPR... And definitely stop the fuel from turning to crap in the tank. Also dont forget, BA fuel rails are steel and are known to rust on the inside. Leaving the rail filled with non moving fuel could cause it to rust badly.

I'd also cover the exhaust and throttle body with some sort of dense wire... Or maybe plug it with stainless pot scourers. Stop anytihng getting into the engine. Cover the HVAC intake opening in the cowl with some sort of wire as well, stop rodents getting in. Some rat bait in the engine bay might be wise too, lest rodents turn your wiring looms into brunch and desert snacks.

Either way, when it gets back on the road you might have to prepare yourself for a reasonable hit to the wallet to get it back to a state that you remember. At least you've already factored in tires.
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2024, 08:43 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Not sure if it works but I always put a bit of outboard fuel in the tank with the oil in it.
Im only storing for months but not years.
Heard auto fluid does similar...

LPG might not go off but all the rubbers etc in the converter will rot.

Car can still be destroyed in garage by fire/flood etc and if not registered there might be issues with a claim.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2024, 09:09 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If it's like an AU Falcon, put it in the shed and leave it. Come back in 5 years, new battery, put air in tyres, she'll start and run just fine.
Old 28-01-2024, 09:12 PM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Hey all.

For less than the price of a cup of take-away coffee per day, keep it registered and drive it until it gets all the fluids hot at least once a month.
Been through this scenario with a HQ Monaro that was stored for 5 years before I bought it, had the engine rebuilt and kept it 20 years, last 5 years under a blanket, then sold.
The buyer was well aware of its history, but had to buy 4 new tyres and get the fuel tank removed and cleaned before he could register and drive it.
More stuff to deteriorate by lack of use in a BA than in a HQ.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2024, 10:23 PM   #8
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

It’s a Falcon. Just start it once in a while , chock the wheels, stick it in Drive. It’ll be fine.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2024, 11:08 PM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
As an owner of a car that spent alot of its life not being driven, on average it did less than 2000km per year in the 4 years preceeding my purchase, I don't believe there is anything you can do to keep the car "sound" for long term storage.

All the bushes looked pristie upon inspection and purchase, but they all ripped apart within 6 months of ownership. It needed an injector reco and new FPR becasue the bad fuel in the rail ate the plastic fiters in the injectors, causing them to collape into the nozzle, and it also reacted with the diaphragm in the FPR. All things regular results in a B-series that wasn't regularly driven.

If your bushes have been replaced with a urethane alternative you're likely to avoid that issue though.

As you've found I wouldn't be lifting it off the ground. if the bushes are rubber this will accelerate the damage as they will constantly be in their stretched position.

If you can dump all the fuel and blow any fuel out of the rail, this might save the injectors and FPR... And definitely stop the fuel from turning to crap in the tank. Also dont forget, BA fuel rails are steel and are known to rust on the inside. Leaving the rail filled with non moving fuel could cause it to rust badly.

I'd also cover the exhaust and throttle body with some sort of dense wire... Or maybe plug it with stainless pot scourers. Stop anytihng getting into the engine. Cover the HVAC intake opening in the cowl with some sort of wire as well, stop rodents getting in. Some rat bait in the engine bay might be wise too, lest rodents turn your wiring looms into brunch and desert snacks.

Either way, when it gets back on the road you might have to prepare yourself for a reasonable hit to the wallet to get it back to a state that you remember. At least you've already factored in tires.
I should have said this car I was talking about is my current BF Ghia. B-series don't like sitting for long periods doing nothing.
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2024, 06:21 AM   #10
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Cars sitting around doing nothing age very very quickly.
Just park it and if you cancel the rego go and get a UVP every couple of months and drive it around for the day and put a couple of hundred km on it.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 08:21 PM   #11
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

I'm back! There for the reply guys. I think I'll keep it registered and drive it 50km once a month or so. I live near a freeway which helps. The unregistered vehicle permit is an interesting option